Cruzer Pizza

Pizzeria converted to being all vegan since winter of 2009. Serves vegan pizza with Daiya cheese, calzones, sandwiches, appetizers and different kinds of pasta. Offers vegan meat toppings as well as gluten-free pizza crust. Mostly takeout, small space with a table for 2 plus a couple tall stools. Parking available in front lot and on the street. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Pizza, Italian, American, Fast food, Take-out, Delivery
4449 Prospect Ave (Hillhurst, in Los Feliz)
Los Angeles, California 90027
323-666-0600

Open Mon-Sat 11am-11pm, Sun 11am-10pm.

First Review by VeggiePinkoKat
grantxvx
grantxvx

Yeah!

5 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2014

Super good pizza! Great calzones, too! Great service and excellent art in the ordering area. Vegan Power!

heathervegan123
heathervegan123

So Good!

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2014

I just had lunch the Pesto Pizza and it was delicious. Cute little place, super nice staff, highly recommended!

Pros: Great Food, Friendly staff, good vibe
Cons: parking
Pinguinos11
Pinguinos11

best pizza!

5 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2014

not from LA area and was super ecstatic to find this place! LA is vegan heaven and this pizza was betting delicious

JonJon
JonJon

Need more places like that!

4 Posted on 12 / 21 / 2013

Cruzer pizza offered me one of my first vegan pizza with a great cheese on it. I tried the Hawaiian one and I was very bluffed by the smell and taste of the pizza that was so close to a real cheese-meat pizza (which was great on first sight but led me not to be able to finish the pizza, too similar!). Otherwise, the size of the pizza was good, the crust was perfectly crunchy and staff is friendly. The only problem of the place is that it is difficult to park in the area and that you must take your food away.

Pros: fully vegan, daiya cheese, friendly staff, look and smell like no vegan pizzas
Cons: only to take away, no parking, sometimes too close to real meat pizzas
  • tina x tina x

Great review. Thanks JonJon!

brandalock
brandalock

Best Vegan Pizza

5 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2013

This is the best vegan pizza in LA! I only wish it was closer or they had a second chain so I could order my pizza's here more often. Not a sit down place, an order and pick up (or delivery if you are fortunate enough to live in the neighborhood).

So delicious! So, so, SO delicious!

Pros: DELICIOUS!
Cons: Not enough chains
ronitw
ronitw

Great Place

5 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2013

We had the gourmet pesto pizza with salad. Was enough to have cold pizza for breakfast the next day, a rare treat for vegans! Nice and friendly place, unfortunately their delivery area does not reach our home so we have to drive over. Definitely worth it! Wish they had more sitting room (so we can bring guests) and easier parking.

Pros: Good food, Friendly service
stegh
stegh

Holy Cow thassa good pizza!

5 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2013

OOOH ooh ooh this is good stuff. Crust was perfect. Not too much Daiya but enough to make it great. Delish and plentiful toppings. The very best vegan ranch dressing I have ever had. Super friendly brothers running the place--proud of their business, their food, and their mission. AWESOME> now just build a dining room or a roofdeck or something so I can tell my friends to meet me here!

Pros: Fantastic food, fantastic staff, totally vegan and PROUD
Cons: tiny spot for eating, only in LA--we need a franchise!
calivegan46
calivegan46

Best vegan pizza ever

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

Cruzer pizza is without a doubt my favorite vegan pizza place around! I ordered the pesto pizza and it was sooo delicious. I couldn't have imagined a tastier pizza. However, the restaurant itself is quite small-only one table and a barstool area, I guess most people get their food to go. But all in all great pizza place and highly recommend!

Chia
Chia

Wow, all vegan pizzas & pasta

4 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2013

I had read about this place on happycow and was in the Los Feliz area to try it out. Here's my Cruzer Pizza review.

It's a little bit hidden due to it being behind/next to another restaurant that's bigger. Just follow the address and you'll find it next to the Desert Rose restaurant (i think that's the name).

Cruzer's menu is impressive -- more than just pizza, it also offers appetizers, salads, calzone, sandwiches, and pasta. Lots of daiya vegan cheese and vegan faux meats.

From the menu I got a vegan vegetable pizza where I got to choose my vegetable in addition to daiya vegan cheese. There are also some interesting pizzas under the "gourmet pizza" section that I'd like to try next time.

Taste-wise, my pizza was okay. The dough is more chewy and thicker than I would have liked. Some people prefer it this way, though I personally like a thinner and more cripsy crust.

In any case, I ate my slices while they were warm, so that was alright. Very impressed that this place is all vegan.

JcRodriguez
JcRodriguez

AWESOME

5 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2013

My number 1 choice for vegan pizza, staff extremely friendly, I love this place, I go there often...... Please try their cheese bread sticks.. you will be happy

Pros: excellent food , good value , friendly staff
material girl
material girl

The food was excellent

5 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2012

I love your guys food. It is the best and I am missing it here in Canada. Keep up the good work and I will always come back to you guys if the food is still the same and not changed.

Pros: Staff always friendly, love the food, would show up again
Cons: none don't change nothing, I love the way it, is.
Jeansthill
Jeansthill

Best Pizza

5 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2012

The pizza here is amazing. I have had the bbq chicken pizza, pesto chicken pasta and the cheesy bread sticks. All of these things were amazing. It is great pizza whether you are vegan or not. If I lived closer I would go here all the time.

Pros: Great Pizza
Cons: Difficult to find parking
HealthyFoodFan
HealthyFoodFan

Hawaiian Pizza - yum!

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2012

I am SO thankful to have a vegan pizza place in my neighborhood and am even more thankful that it is so delicious and fresh. The folks that work there are all really nice - please give them your business!

Pros: Excellent pizza, All vegan menu
saintlouisvegan
saintlouisvegan

Eat here if you like Pizza

5 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2012

Bought two pizzas and shared with my pizza loving carnivore colleague. We were both blown away. It was hands down some of the best pizza either of us had ever had (vegan or non vegan pizza). Take out only.

Pros: fast, yummy
Cons: no public bathroom
DawnOfTheRent
DawnOfTheRent

Best Pizza I've ever eaten (sorry mom it's true)

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2011

Normally when I get pizza somewhere it doesn't taste as good as when I make it myself, however I could definitely could learn something from these guys. We ordered twice (Chicken Pizza), and I stole some of my wife's portions both times :)

Pros: They Deliver, boy it's good, comparing to restraunts, good price
veganinvegas
veganinvegas

WONDERFUL!

5 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2011

Came into LA for a baseball game and drove to this place. Haven't had BBQ chicken pizza in over 10 years. I ordered it and HAPPY COW! boy, was it good. I should have ordered 2 pizzas, because I ate it all up on the drive back to the hotel :(

Why can't mainstream pizza places have Daiya cheese to make us vegans happy? Why do I have to fly to LA to get vegan pizza? Will be back next time I'm in LA.

Pros: real pizzas, great owners, many choices
Cons: no parking, single location, too many choices LOL
JoeRutRohHendrix
JoeRutRohHendrix

THE BEST PIZZA!!!

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2011

With food this GREAT being Vegan is an added benefit! I wasn't V by far before. Having such delicious menu options and friendly people makes me want to move back to Southern Cal! Ceasar and Sammy, you guys need to put one in CHICO! Please? Will be seeing you guys in a few weeks. Thanks again for the outstanding food, conversation and friendship! Take care

Pros: excellent food, friendly people, healthy
Cons: only one location
alanwpeck
alanwpeck

SO GOOD

5 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2011

Holy crap this place is amazing. Completely vegan pizzeria! I live by San Francisco and have family in LA & San Diego. I now stop here on the way down and the way back every time. Friendly people, stupid good Daiya cheese filled breadsticks. YUM. Seriously worth the effort to find parking. Get a ticket if you have to.

featherives
featherives

Excellent vegan pizza

4 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2010

I'm currently traveling through Europe and I miss my Cruzer pizza. It was worth the drive through the valley to this part of LA for the pizza.

It is so nice to have a vegan pizzeria with no meat or dairy in site. The employees are really kind too. Very nice people.

Pros: yummy, inexpensive, nice staff
Cons: a little out of the way
earthville
earthville

Pretty good vegan comfort food

3 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2010

First off, i'm not a big fan of processed vegan 'cheese' - i've tried all the major brands and don't really like any of them. They all have a texture (when melted) that feels too plasticky to me - and none of them could be considered healthful because they're all so processed. That said, the Daiya cheese used at Cruzer is the best (least bad) of all of them, as it melts well and tastes acceptable (and some people love it). Personally, i prefer using either hummus or a homemade nut-based cheesy sauce.

That said, Cruzer does a respectable job within the genre of conventional vegan-cheese pizzas. The flavor and texture is somewhere between Domino's and CPK, but a little closer to the former in that they do veganized versions of the common meat pizza pies, sticking as close as possible to the comfort food side of the pizza galaxy, but they also have a few more exotic items like a BBQ chicken pizza (tasty) and one with Indian-style ingredients.

They also do calzone and pasta.

Cruzer isn't gourmet or organic, nor is it a place for unwavering health nuts or careful calorie counters, but as vegan comfort-food pizza goes, it probably won't disappoint.

And one of the best things about it is that it's all vegan. We were delighted not to have to worry about whether our pizza was sliced with the same cutter as a non-vegan pizza. Thanks for going all-vegan, Cruzer!

Pros: Tasty vegan pizza classics, All vegan (no cheese worries)
Cons: Not particularly healthful, Not organic
neekole
neekole

cheesy!

4 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2010

we had the hawaiian pizza; which was extra cheese, pineapples, and vegan ham. it was great. the extra cheese is really what did it for me. they use daiya cheese. the pizza was great and well priced. a 14 inch pizza was $16. and we got a caesar salad, which was $6. good, creamy dressing.

Pros: cheesy, online ordering, delivery
Cons: no parking
mena
mena

This place is great!

5 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2010

This is a bit of a hole in a wall, don't go in with a party of six like I did lol

But seriously, this place has really great vegan pizza, I also had the cesar salad and really liked it. We tried the philly cheeze steak and the only thing I would've changed was to mix the cheeze in with the steak a little more because it got a little bland at the bottom, but the top of the sandwich was AMAZING.

Probably the best part about this place is that it opened my Dad up a lot to vegan food. He thought this place was pretty good!

It was so good in fact that we planned on taking our huge order (a large cheeze, mushroom, black olive & tomato pizza, a large meat lovers pizza, two ceasar salads, a philly cheeze steak sandwich and a eggplant parmasean) back to our hotel room but the only thing that made it there was half the philly cheeze steak and three slices of pizza!

It was a litttle more pricy then normal pizza, but it was tottally worth it! I wish I lived in LA!

Pros: Yummy pizza, Good Selection, Friendly Staff
Cons: Small Place
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

All vegan pizzeria!

5 Posted on 12 / 21 / 2009

We've been to Cruzer's several times and just went last weekend for the first time after they became all vegan. We live relatively close, but we always get take-out as there's really not a lot of space to sit and we just park in the lot across the street while one of us runs in. They are not gourmet pizza, but more like Domino's for vegans, so we crave it when we are looking for junk food pizza. We like the Hawaiian pizza and the BBQ chicken. We were so-so on the meat lover's. We've also had the lasagna which I thought was really good, but Dirk was a bit "cheesed" out by it. I guess it all comes down to how much Daiya you like. This last time, they told us that they were going to add more toppings in the future as well as new menu items. Can't wait! It's so thrilling to have an all vegan pizzeria in LA. I can order anything now and not worry. That's awesome and they get 5 cows from me just for that!

Pros: all vegan pizzeria!!!, Daiya cheese
Cons: mainly take-out
VeggiePinkoKat
VeggiePinkoKat

Good enough

3 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2009

Review: Don't go out of your way to eat pizza here like I did. I read a rave review which prompted me to go immediately. This pizza is special in that they use Daiya cheese which melts well--however, you can get a comparable pie at your local Whole Foods which now uses Daiya also. If you live in the area, totally order a pizza from Cruzer for delivery, but don't drive from Pasadena.

Pros: Daiya cheese
Cons: No parking

Dear Owner and Manager of Cruzer Pizza: