Crumbs Organic Bakehouse

Organic vegan bakery. Offers vegan sourdough bread, donuts, cakes, biscuits, pizza slices, and croissant. Take-away coffee using Syndicate blend or a weekly rotating single origin. Bonsoy and cow milk available (the only not vegan thing in the store). Second location in Union St, Ascot Vale. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Bakery, Western, Australian, Take-out

First Review by VeJo
Cynthia1998
Cynthia1998

Amazing!

4 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2014

This place is simply amazing! It may not be the healthiest but, personally, seeing as I never eat most of the things there as it's hard to find when you're a vegan, I'd be willing to try everything! The raspberry iced doughnut was a bit of a letdown but every other thing I tried was great. Thhe atmosphere was quite nice but had limited seating which was quite uncomfortable. I definitely recommend going if not sugar free, gluten free, wholefoods etc.

Pros: Amazing pastries, Cheap
Cons: Small
alia_801
alia_801

Worth visiting for the vegan pastries!

4 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2014

I visited yesterday with my friend and his 3-year-old daughter. We were impressed at the range of doughnuts, muffins and pastries (and also spotted some brownies in their own case). I tried a cinnamon doughnut, which was ok, but the sugar was quite grainy. I followed it up with a raspberry-almond pastry which was good enough that I'll be returning very soon for another one! I also took a lemon-curd doughnut home for my other half, and he is keen for a return visit soon too!

The staff were friendly and helpful. My only gripe would be that almost nothing is labelled, so you have to ask the staff about the cakes and drinks on offer and to find out prices (which are reasonable). There is a space for eating in, though most of the steady stream of visitors got take away.

Easy to get to (number 57 tram stop 12 is very close), so worth a visit whenever you can get there!

Pros: Pastries are amazing, Friendly staff, Good choice of treats
Cons: No prices or labels on cakes
AaronTimo
AaronTimo

Delicious!

5 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2014

Had a beautiful breakfast here of raspberry iced donut and blueberry muffin...the breakfast of champions!! Coffee was great too. The only problem, I remembered how much I love donuts and I live in South Australia :-(.

Pros: Donuts, Great coffee, Savory food

Jph71
Jph71

fantastic

5 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2014

What a great little find on our trip to Melbourne. Enjoyed a brekky of muffins and green tea. Lovely. Got some takeaways to enjoy later and they were even better .

Pros: vegan
beancurdled
beancurdled

vegan sourdough croissant!

5 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2014

Sometimes I find myself trying to invent excuses to go to North Melbourne just to go to Crumbs. I don't just happen by there nearly often enough.

Firstly, their bread is some of the best organic sourdough in Melbourne and a dollar or two cheaper than all the other bakeries. Their pizza dough is thick, dense, chewy, and really sour which I love. Toppings are tasty but nothing special.

It's their sweet pastries that are really worth going out of your way for. I lost my sh*t when I saw a vegan lemon curd donut sitting in the window. However, with their sourdough already being so sour, the tart lemon filling is a bit much even for me. The sweetness of cinnamon or jam in their other donuts balances the sourdough perfectly. The treat I cross town for though is their almond croissant. I think they only bake them on weekends and they sometimes run out because they are actually perfect!

A few people have said the staff aren't that friendly but I have never found them rude. They make consistently good coffee and offer you free stuff at the end of the day so it doesn't bother me that they don't have great chat.

bonn93
bonn93

Beautiful baked goods

4 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

Crumbs sells gorgeous baked goods (especially try the doughnuts, which have a unique and tasty sourdough flavour) and a lovely selection of breads. There is only room for a few people to sit at a bench, so not a great sit-down place. The service can be a bit hit and miss - some staff are sweet and friendly, whereas others are decidedly surly (though not a big deal as I usually just buy something and leave rather than staying). As an added bonus, I have often been given free stuff (eg. muffins and scrolls) when visiting late in the afternoon.

Overall, the delicious food at Crumbs makes it well worth a visit.

Kittybiscuit
Kittybiscuit

Vegan lamingtons!

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2013

I tried a vegan lamington from here and it was delicious. It was tasty and fresh and the staff are friendly. My partner had the last chocolate donut and loved it.

Pros: tasty, choice
Aloo
Aloo

Wholesome bread, naughty treats

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2013

Crumbs can be found in Ascot Vale and North Melbourne. I love it! Donuts are beautiful, with real jam and fillings. Also there are plenty of other sweet options, including muffins and cake. I had a lemon and blueberry cake the other day with coffee and it really did hit the spot. Not too sweet, but sweet enough.

The breads are beautiful too, with loads of choices and heavy breads.

It's a regular of mine, consistently good food. The service is usually friendly, but sometimes not...

Pros: Donuts , Pleny of sweet options, Great bread
Cons: Customer Service could be improved
VeJo
VeJo

OMG! Vegan donuts!

5 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2013

Visiting from Sydney, I'm now almost ready to concede the vegan to trophy to Melbourne. This place is an oasis. Vegan danishes, vegan almond croissants. Did I mention the vegan donuts? So good, so happy! Good old-fashioned bakery. There's bread too. It looks real good, but we only came for dessert.

Pros: Good Range, Beautifully Presented, Friendly Staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Crumbs Organic Bakehouse: