Crumbs Kitchen

Vegetarian restaurant in the city centre. Causal cafe style. Food is displayed in a glass case, and there is also a menu on the wall. Current management since 2012; formerly named Crumbs. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, British, Western, Take-out
33 Morgan Arcade
Cardiff, Wales CF10 1AF
02920-395007

Open Mon-Sat 9am-4pm, Sun 11am-3pm.

First Review by Stevie
sXe_22
sXe_22

Nice place

3 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2014

Food is good but surely not memorable. Portions are big and there are lots of vegan desserts. We spent £7 each for a good lunch.

CatharineMarie
CatharineMarie

Nice place in the traditional Cardiff arcades

4 Posted on 12 / 21 / 2013

I've only been here once, but am planning to go again. My grandmother who is not vegetarian or vegan, has come here often over the years and likes it very much.
It's a cute place in one of Cardiff's traditional arcades, which gives it a lovely atmosphere.
The food is all ready behind a counter so you pick and pay first and then sit down.
I had a chickpea pie which was really nice and they heated it up for me. I didn't have a dessert though they do have some vegan ones, which is great.
It's not expensive and a great place to stop by if you're in the city centre or if you're just feeling peckish while in town.

Pros: vegan dessert, inexpensive, convenient location
ChewAndReview
ChewAndReview

• non-vegetarian

RELIABLE HEALTHY FOOD

4 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2012

I've been coming here for years and feel better for it,too.
Most of the food's homemde and there isn't really a comparable veggie/vegan eatery in Cardiff City Centre.
I think any quibbles by previous reviewers are largely irrelevant now,as this business is under new management with gradual improvements taking place week by week.
I also noticed online that Crumbs was awarded top marks (5 out of 5) by the Health Inspector - a rare accolade,indeed,especially as one nearby "chain" restaurant was rated a worrying 1 out of 5.
Delicious winter soup or a nutritious veg curry with brown rice are just two Crumbs highlights - not forgetting,of course their iconic wooden bowls of mixed salad topped with their proprietary mayo.
It's also quite coeliac-friendly,as many meals do not contain gluten. Wifi is now available and Paul,the owner,has launched healthy Crumbs-style breakfasts (eg GF muesli with seeds and fresh fruit salad). The uncomfortable benches have now been replaced with new tables and chairs and the bizarre absence of a customer "rest room" since 1970 has been rectified. I notice that new customers are increasing week by week and it's great that Crumbs lives on,especially in light of the founder,Judy Ashley's,original hard work and pioneering spirit (apparently ,she was the first proprietor in Cardiff to buy in brown rice). Opening hours have now extended to 4pm daily and Sunday opening has now begun. An upstairs lounging area with comfy sofas and newspapers is being considered as well as a new counter offering ciabattas etc. Business at this eaterie has increased substantially since the new proprietor started pulling it into the 21st century.
Updated from previous review on Monday August 20, 2012

Rachelsmum
Rachelsmum

TASTY FAST VEGETARIAN FOOD

4 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2012

I have lived in Cardiff for thirty years but only started to go to Crumbs about two years ago. My daughter is vegan and loves the salad. I am neither vegan nor vegetarian so can eat any of the food and everything I have had has been tasty and good value for money. Under new management and has nice new tables and chairs. You have to queue for food but it is ready to eat so no waiting for busy waiters/waitresses.

Pros: Tasty food, Good value, Friendly staff
Cons: No toilet
blister
blister

getting better

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2012

I've used Crumbs on and off over the years. More off than on as it had a history of average food at a non average cost. However, it looks like they've changed the owner and things are getting better. They've gone from basic salads and a rough and ready appearance to a more adventurous menu with more variety and flavour, as well as tarting up the decor. If I'm having lunch in town now, it's high up in my choice's

CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

could be great if...

3 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2012

New ownership, apparently. Two vegan soups available. I had leek and potato, and it was tasty. I took away a container of the four salads that were vegan. They serve coffees and teas, quiches, curry and brown rice, jacket potatoes, chili, fresh fruit salad and cakes. March 31, 2012: had no toilets "yet."
The six big bowls of "salads" included three based on cabbage, one bowl of grated carrot, one bowl of grated cheese and a rice and peanut mixture. As the only vegetarian eatery in the central core, they should do better.
Suggestions: 1) Offer a smaller size soup bowl available, not just the 3.95 size, which was bigger than I wanted; 2) Offer more-imaginative salads; 3) If you're going to drizzle soymilk on top of a hot soup, use the special creamer variety; the regular soymilk separates and looks like curdled milk; 4) Offer more vegan meals.

mikebinos
mikebinos

pretty good

3 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2012

The only food I ate here was a chickpea pie. It was very good but I am not 100% certain they baked it. Some of the baked goods were from there but not all were. Like most of the arcades in Cardiff it will close early but it's still a nice central veggie place.

taffboy72
taffboy72

Reliable City Centre Veggie Fayre

4 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2012

Based in the wonderful arcades of Cardiff this cafe serves solid veggie fayre with no problem for vegans. Typically pasta dishes, chillis etc. Great for lunch when you are out shopping. Prices are average for City Centre cafes. I am Cardiff born and bred, I don't get back enough but I think this is the only strictly city centre veg eatery (others have been and gone, notably The Beehive, sadly missed). It does get busy at lunchtimes. Interestingly there's another non veg cafe nearby which also does good veg and vegan range. Could well be the influence, not least of people going there when Crumbs is rammed.

Pros: Reliable quality, Fine for vegans, City Centre
Cons: Can get very busy, Can close early
mmoneypenny
mmoneypenny

Pricey and not very good

2 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2011

Took me a while to find this place in the Arcade and kind of wish I hadn't...
A limited selection for vegans. When I asked if I could have the large mixed salad for vegans the lady behind the counter was going to give me coleslaw and an egg salad. In the end I had four different salads, none of them very tasty and very expensive for what I got.
Don't mind paying extra for vegan food but this was not it.
Staff were unfriendly and unhelpful.
Wouldn't come here again (wanted to rate it 1 cow but the lowest rating for a vegetarian restaurant is 2 cows)

Pros: Location
Cons: Unfriendly staff, Bland food, Expensive
animalgazuk
animalgazuk

Poor all round

2 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2010

not even vegan soup, staff attitude to even asking if there was anything at all vegan was rude and the place looked and smelt more like a greasy spoon than a veggie cafe. One to avoid for sure

Pros: none
Cons: Staff attitud, Nothing vegan , Appearance
veggiegoth
veggiegoth

pretty good

3 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2010

had a pretty good lunch at crumbs during my brief stay in cardiff. i had a few different items in a bowl that is at the counter. don't remember exactly what those things were but it was good. healthy meal.

Alyson
Alyson

Sadly could do better

2 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2009

Although two hot meals were vegan, neither soups were. The choice of food and drinks was a bit limited, and a bit over priced. I want to support a fully vegetarian place, but the customer service was pretty poor. One member of staff stood gossiping with a customer whilst I waited at the counter for several minutes. No toilets is a also a minus point. When I was eventually served the person did not seem very confident what was vegan. No vegan dessert options. Sorry to write a slightly critical review - it's still a handy fully vegetarian place in the centre of Cardiff

Pros: central
Cons: poor vegan choice, no toilets, bit pricey?
CeriCow
CeriCow

Good Curry

4 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2008

The Veg curry is recommended, and some of the soups are vegan and nice. Could do with slightly wider selection maybe.

Pros: fast
skinnydog
skinnydog

Could be better for vegans

3 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2008

What they do for vegans is lovely and good portions but we have very limiting options. Still remains the best priced and most reliable option in Cardiff for vegans though

Guest
Guest

Exclusively veggie

5 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2007

I don't know what planet your reviewer 'Liz' is from, but Crumbs has been exclusively vegetarian from the day it opened 35 years ago. A splendid place and very good value, as can be seen by the huge queues which build up around lunch time. Don't let this put you off though, since most of the customers are ordering 'take aways'.

Pros: Friendly staff, No smoking, Good portions.
Stevie
Stevie

Crumbs, Cardiff

3 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2006

I've been to this place a few times. I am surprised at the other comment saying Crumbs isn't 100% vegetarian as I thought that it was. The central location makes it very handy. It could be open longer hours though. The food wasn't the tastiest that I've ever had but maybe I chose badly.

Pros: Central location
Cons: Could open longer hours, Food could be tastier

Dear Owner and Manager of Crumbs Kitchen: