Raw food restaurant cafe located in basement of the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto. Serving vegan, organic living foods for eat-in or take-out in biodegradable containers. Changing menu. Opened since Jan 2010. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, All Raw, Organic, Western, Take-out, Catering

Average And Pricey

3 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2013

2 juices and 2 salads = 40 $
Really?
The salads weren't that good - quite bitter actually, and the juices were ok. Not sure if the price is due to location, I wouldn't go out of my way to come back.
Service, however, was charming and friendly.

Pros: Service
Cons: Price
maulydaft
maulydaft

It was great when I ate

4 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2013

I'm basing my review from a few years back. I haven't eaten there in a bout a year and half because I'm never out that way anymore. I was there often enough previously to get the idea that the food was really great and at the time less expensive than other raw food in the city. I always loved what I got and always tried to make room for dessert. Regarding what a previous person wrote about the "fatty desserts". 1. Desserts aren't suppose to be low fat. 2. From what I can tell when you are on a raw diet you are suppose to eat lots of nuts and avocado and so forth. Otherwise you'll shrink to a string bean. So at the very least raw desserts SHOULD be fatty! (MHO!)

Pros: really tasty, price, st lawerence market
Cons: st lawrence market, not super friendly
emchait
emchait

Cauliflower Rice!!

5 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2012

I'm usually not a fan of raw food (it usually tastes funny), but Cruda Cafe's Norita Wrap was great! Made with cauliflower rice, beets, carrots, guacamole, vege paté, greens, and nori, the tastes were familiar to me and really good!

The cauliflower rice actually contains no grains but it looks just like shiny jasmine rice! Some herbs and olives made it taste even better!

The location is great for tourists since you can see a show at the Young Centre for the Performing Arts first, then walk through the historic Distillery District and historic St. Lawrence Market and still find tasty and healthy vegan food.

saveur
saveur

Heavy, unappealing food

2 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2012

I love raw cuisine but do not like Cruda Cafe. The meals are heavy with the nuts and seeds and worst of all, lack flavour. I had the gnocchi. I will not be back.

pfalvo
pfalvo

Impressive

5 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2011

I thought the healthy smoothie would taste awful -- but it was good.
The raw chocolate is to die for!

melskunk
melskunk

Good option

3 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2011

I would first like to say I haven't had the issue with staff the previous reviewers seem to have had. Perhaps the cafe has been reading the reviews?
I've been here three times, and enjoyed the food each time. Each time as well I had a friendly order taker. The taste is good, the price isn't cheap but it's not unreasonable, though I find the portions a little smaller than I'd like.
What I didn't like was it seems that they don't always use the ingredients that are listed for the respected wraps? I ordered a nori one today, and seemed to basically get the same filling as the sun dried tomato wrap, only with a nori coating, instead of the pickled plum paste and so forth advertised. I sadly had already walked off and gotten halfway home before I tried it, so couldn't speak to them about it. I'd found also the sundried tomato wrap didn't have quite the filling as I saw advertised, but I took that to be a late in the day issue.

Overall I WILL return as it's convenient for me, but be more careful checking the ingredients they're using before leaving.

Pros: Good selection, Everything is vegan & gluten free
Cons: Not always the ingredients you expect, Pricey
Corina
Corina

Hit and Miss Raw Food

3 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2011

My husband and I ate here on our recent trip to Toronto. We ordered the gnocchi carbonara, quiche me lorraine, and the sunshine smoothie. The gnocchi were delicious. The quiche wasn't very quiche-like, just some ingredients stuffed into a crust. The greens the quiche was served over were too bitter to eat without dressing, as they were served. The smoothie tasted great, but the temperature was a bit off (too warm).

The service was ok, but the food was quite pricey. Our three items came out to about $30. And the dining area atmosphere leaves much to be desired.

Pros: all vegan
Cons: expensive
coniferoushow
coniferoushow
  • non-vegetarian

Turning Gourmet Raw into Fast Food

2 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2011

I have visited this Raw Cafe on several occasions. Being very interested in The RAW lifestyle, and living close by, I was interested in giving this place a chance.

PRICE:
The food is moderate to pricey for a cafe, but one understands that: ingredients in "gourmet" raw food can sometimes cost a lot(raw nuts, coconut butter, etc), it takes more time to prepare, and is located at the St. Lawrence Market (location location!).

THE FOOD:
Depending on what you choose, it is hit or miss. The Raw Desserts have their good days and bad days, and some do seem a little over priced. They certainly do not hold out on the fat content (loaded with nuts, avocado and coconut) or added sweeteners (agave and coconut butter) and contain non-raw ingredients like roasted cocoa (as one of the employees informed me).
I would love to see Raw Desserts that can also be humble and healthy (low-fat raw).
The wraps are quite tasty , and good for the price, as they are loaded with guac, fresh veggies, and sprouts (careful if you are watching your salt intake).
The Salads are big, and the dressings are always nice.
The juice is standard, but it's good for those who do not have their own juicer.
Over all, there is nothing here that stands out from other Raw Restaurants in Toronto.

THE STAFF:
If you are looking for good customer service though, you might want to look somewhere else.
The ladies at this restaurant seem to all have a chip on their shoulders. Every time I have visited, they seem to rush through each customer, looking utterly stressed, and rarely looking up from their work. I've yet to catch a smile.

It's so unfortunate to see such an unhappy crew at a place that is suppose to represent vibrant health. For those new to the idea of Raw food, they might be led to believe that RAW food is NOT the key to wellness.

I think the word on health should be spread, but this place might be doing us a disfavour.

I think I have given this place a fair chance, but it's not somewhere I'd return anymore.
Updated from previous review on Monday April 04, 2011

Pros: Yummy Wraps, 100% Vegan, Fresh Food
Cons: Unfriendly Staff, Pricey, Raw "fast-food"
veggiewoman
veggiewoman

good food, decent price

4 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2011

I had the gnocchi, which I think would be more appropriately called "spaghetti" and "meatballs" just based on how it looked. It was delicious and such a generous portion that I couldn't even finish it all (which is rare in raw restaurants). I also had the raw nanaimo bar which was quite good as well. Staff were friendly, menu items were interesting, and I would definitely go back.

Pros: unique options, taste, price
Cons: not open sundays
buttaflyrawka
buttaflyrawka

service without a smile

2 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2010

Living on the east end of Toronto where there are no raw vegan restaurants and coming to the market almost every Saturday, I was excited to hear that there was an option somewhat close to me. Imagine my disappointment when I am met with no warmth, eyes rolling and nasty vibes. The food was great! Most everything I've had is phenomenal! (and I've been there about five times!!) the Gypsy Sandwich, Mushroom Burger, Gnochhi Carbonara, but honestly, I can't condone the lack of warmth, especially since I've attempted to engage. My advice, go there expecting great food and service without a smile and try not to take it personal.

Pros: great food, fresh
Cons: bad energy, not enough seating
  • maulydaft maulydaft

Depending on who served you... The owner isn't super warm or friendly, but she will engage enthusiastically if she's not busy. Just go for the food :)

• Ken4057 Ken4057

They were super friendly to me and we chatted while they made my food. The trick is to kill others with kindness. As long as it isn't fake it almost always works.

Ken4057
Ken4057

I'm hungry just thinking about it

5 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2010

It was a gorgeous summer day out on the 2nd floor patio at St. Lawrence Market. I can think of no better food to accompany that than Cruda Cafe's fresh, raw, organic vegan offerings.

We shared a raw hummus and veggie wrap with a dehydrated 'tortilla' (sundried tomato and carrot), a pecan/mushroom bistro 'burger' with sliced tomato instead of a bun (very filling), and Claudia's salad which had dates and shaved parsnips in it (!!).

All three were heavenly, and each around $7-8.

A little simpler than the six-star fare at LIVE food bar, but half the price.

I'm a fan forever.

Pros: organic, seasonal, friendly
Cons: none
Ally846
Ally846

Great Little Find in St. Lawerence Market

4 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2010

I have been waiting to try this place for a while but can never seem to manage to get to the St. Lawrence Market. This weekend I had an amazing strawberry crepe that was to die for. I will go back for sure.

Pros: Food, Staff
Cons: Seating (shared food court)
Guest
Guest

So goooood!

5 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2010

I went here a few weeks ago while stopping at the market. I was just so happy to find something vegan and raw at the market. I got the boston burger- a burger made of mainly mushrooms, sandwiched between tomato slices with a faux mayo and other veggies. Really tasty! I also got a chocolate mint cupcake that was really good as well. They also make juices. My brother and mom got juices with wheat grass juice mixed in and they were very good. I bought a kombucha they sold there that was made locally and enjoyed it. The chefs were very knowledgeable and friendly. I hope to be going back!

Pros: delicious , fresh , raw

Dear Owner and Manager of Cruda Cafe: