Serves meat, veg options available. Has a few vegetarian options such as tofu scrambles, a veggie burger, hash browns, and maybe vegan bread. Some dishes can be made vegan upon request. Note that the veg sausage and some breads are not vegan. Casual setting, seat yourself. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, International, Non-veg

simple
  • non-vegetarian

Zucchini bread

Posted on 07 / 03 / 2014

First time I had zucchini bread and it was yummy. The wait was a little long though

happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Vegan Paradise in Kalamazoo

Posted on 11 / 21 / 2011

This is one time I'm glad I DIDN'T read the reviews before I went. This restaurant must have given itself a complete veggie overhaul in the last 6 months. The menu is now loaded with vegan options and is bursting with vegetarian choices. The tables are now perfectly spaced (if you've read any of my other reviews, you know crowded tables are one of my pet peeves). Our waitress was knowledgeable about the menu and our service was top notch - better than what I've had in many gourmet restaurants.

The Crow's Nest makes my list of the Top 10 Vegan-Friendly Restaurants in Michigan. You can get any of the breakfast scrambles made with tofu instead of eggs (and if you don't see any you like, you can design your own!). You can get any burger made with a vegan black bean burger. Their veggie wrap and sandwich selections contain many vegan options including a Vegan PB&J! They are so vegan-friendly. If you want something made vegan, just ask and I'm sure they'll do it if it's possible.

If I was going to be super fussy, I'd point out the only thing they didn't have was a vegan french toast or pancake option. I did not try their breakfast sausage b/c it is vegetarian, not vegan. Lightlife makes the best sausage in the universe - GimmeLean "Ground Sausage Style" - and it's vegan so maybe they can upgrade to a vegan sausage. But all of this is nit-picking. This place rocks. By the way, we were there at 4pm and could still get breakfast! I love that.

If you're traveling on I-94, take a break from the interstate and give this a try. From I-94, take exit 76 for Westnedge Ave NORTH and it's 3 miles down. Note that after two miles, Westnedge becomes one-way so you get kicked onto Park St which parallels Westnedge. Just hang a left on Vine St then another left on Westnedge to swing back around.

VeggiePanda
VeggiePanda

Cozy and busy!

Posted on 06 / 07 / 2011

I've been here several times and it is always a happenin' place. Sometimes I have waited on hour to sit (it was worth it!) and others I have walked right in. They have a page on their menu devoted to veggie foods and all of which have been good that I have eaten. It's a good place to take omnivores and veggies as there is a big selection. Service can be really slow, but the food has always been great when I have eaten there. Now that smoking in restaurants has been banned in Michigan, I'd recommend this place! Sure the tables are a bit awkwardly close to one another, but it's a cozy feeling and worth checking out!

Pros: Food
Cons: Slow service

tecban
tecban

An unpleasant experience

Posted on 02 / 04 / 2011

The layout of the restaurant is something between "intimate" and "awkward," most notably in the unusual position of the rest rooms right next to the food service and dishwashing area. The selection of vegetarian items was good; unfortunately they were out of our first few choices of items, even basics such as veggie patties. Our food took over half and hour to arrive, during which time we received one coffee refill but no others; although not a large restaurant, it was certainly big enough to need more than one waitperson during the dinner shift. We were disappointed in most of the food; scrambled eggs were brown and overcooked, while the hash browns were more like undercooked hash "whites." French fries were also mostly undercooked and soggy; however the sandwich was grilled well, and the seasoned tofu tasted good. Given the location, slow service and overall value for money, I can't imagine choosing this restaurant again when in Kalamazoo.

Pros: Good selection, Reasonable prices
Cons: Very slow service, Poorly prepared food
Mikemotorbike
Mikemotorbike

favorite breakfast place!

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2010

Hah, I ate there today! Whenever friends come to visit, this is the place I suggest for breakfast. It's the only place in town that I know of with delicious vegan breakfast options. Ok, they have one, the thai tofu stir fry, but it's amazing. Any server I have asked questions to has known right off the bat what the ingredients are of any menu item. That is one of my pet peeves, servers who need to ask. Know your trade! Not here though. Their vegan burger I think is Morning Star. So take that or leave it. I'm not positive though. I asked a long time ago (1-2 years) and I'm fairly certain that's what they said but they may have changed it by now.

They'll do anything for you to make you comfortable. I like that. I like that when I say I'm vegan, they know what it is and can easily help me pick out a menu item. I have been going here for years, even before I first went lacto-ovo. I have eaten there as a meat eater, as a lacto-ovo (try their grilled cheese w/tomato basil soup!) and as a vegan and I'll continue going there.

Pros: friendly service, fantastic atmosphere, modestly priced
Cons: no vegan denotations, limited vegan options
DCSanford
DCSanford

Great food, Great place

Posted on 09 / 30 / 2010

We've been there with our vegetarian children a couple times and once for a date. The service isn't fast, so don't go if your in a hurry but the food is fantastic and there are a lot of Veg friendly options. They are above the 4th Coast Cafe coffee house so for desert I highly recommend having them get you a frozen mocha from 4th coast. It's a fantastic mocha milk shake.

Pros: Excellent Food, Many Veg Choices, Good value
Cons: Slow service, Some smoke smell from coffee house below
mdethier
mdethier

Excellent veg options!

Posted on 02 / 20 / 2010

Just returned from a visit to Kalamazoo and we were very fortunate to have found Crow's Nest. Vast number of choices for veggies and vegans on the menu, including sandwiches, scrambles (great sauces), sides, vegan burger, etc., as well as substitutions on other dishes. The very helpful waitress made sure that we had the vegan alternatives for entrees, breads, sides, etc., and that nothing was cooked in butter. Excellent soy/rice cappuccinos rounded out a really great meal. Sunlit upper enclosed balcony, brick walls and cozy atmosphere. Non smoking. Highly recommended.
Note: there is a discount coupon in the Yellow Pages!

Pros: Great choice, Accommodating to vegans, Open 24 hours on weekends
Cons: Tricky to find
Guest
Guest

Poor Vegetarian Options

Posted on 10 / 12 / 2007

I just went to Crow's Nest. They have a veggie burger BUT the bread for it is not vegan. I guess they've never heard of Meijer or any other main stream grocery store that sells hamburger busns. The only option there is tofu scamble, so it if you like that, you're in luck. If not, you're stuck with fries and a side of fruit like me.

Pros: atmosphere
Cons: No Vegan Buns
  • DanF DanF

Hey, we'd love for you to come in and check out our new menu and expanded veggie/vegan options! Although everything may not be listed in the menu, we have a very talented kitchen staff, and if we can figure out how to make something vegan for you, we will!

In addition to the tofu scramble, we offer several tofu sandwiches, all available in a vegan wrap, as well as salads and appetizers. I will be sure to check into getting more vegan breads.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you again.

Dear Owner and Manager of Crow's Nest: