CLOSED: Crickets Creamery...

Serves meat, veg options available. Formerly a vegetarian cafe and creamery but no longer as of Jun 2013 with change of ownership. Still offers several veg choices but not vegan-suitable. Casual, has children seating area. FEB 2014 REPORTED SHUT. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Non-veg
315 W 19th St (The Heights)
Houston, Texas 77008
713-869-9450

Open Mon-Sat 8am-6pm, Sun 11-6pm.

First Review by TexasVegan
Delve
Delve

homeless man

4 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2013

The homeless man you saw there..well..his name is Harold. He is schizophrenic and has difficulty seeing. The staff there are extremely kind and give him coffee when he shows up. I've had conversations with Harold...he's really confused. I wish he could be helped. What can be done? I give the Crickets Creamery staff credit for giving him coffee..and food. I will remain a loyal vegan customer based on that.

pennylane
pennylane

• raw

Vegan friendly

3 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2013

The shepherds pie is good but it comes in a small bowl be sure to ask for the Vegan bread. I wish they had more vegan items. The down side when I went they had a homeless man there who was mad and making a scene they need to look out for their customers.

Pros: Vegan friendly , cute atmosphere , location
Cons: portion size, menu is mostly dairy and eggs
maynard7
maynard7

I liked this place

4 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2012

I warmly recommend this place... the food was very good and it was a good value. I had the veggie quiche with a salad for lunch on Sunday. It's in a nice little neighborhood called "The Heights". Also that day they had vegetarian lasagne available.

Pros: Good food and flavor, A good value
Mooylinda
Mooylinda

• non-vegetarian

Friendly Eatery

4 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2010

My son & I went to Crickets after searching on the Happy Cow website for Veg. eateries in Houston.(We were visiting Houston for a few days.) The food was good & reasonably priced. The atmosphere was unique. The menu is pretty varied and offers lots of tasty choices. What sets this eatery apart, though, is the manager. He was WONDERFUL. After finishing our meal, our car wouldn't start due to a dead battery! The manager offered to help us and did in fact jump-start our car for us. The restaurant was full of customers & out of the kindness of his heart, the manager left the restaurant and helped us. We recommend Crickets to all vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.

Pros: Good food, Varied menu, Vegan options
pesceveg
pesceveg

fancy little brunch place

4 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2009

I like it well enough. It offers a cute environment for kids with toys and ice cream, and even little ones designated areas (which is pretty rare).The food is not for the strict vegetarian, containing eggs in some dishes.But the prices are fair and the staff is quite helpful.

Pros: tasty food, nice staff, kid friendly
Cons: pricey
essau_yesod
essau_yesod

Here or There

3 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2009

My wife does not like it, but I like it because the atmosphere is quirky and the people are very friendly. The only problems are that we don't eat eggs or garlic & onion and the menu has mostly these. They are willing to accommodate, but it is nice to have choices right there. Once, I asked whether the gelato had eggs in it, and some did. Next time I went, they had all egg-less gelato. That was very groovy of them to do.

Pros: friendly, good food, nice atmosphere
Cons: limited selection
aledogma
aledogma

Great brunch for a lazy Sunday

4 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2008

Consistantly good - I only end up there on the weekends but they have never disappointed. I wouldn't call it health food, but compared to Texas' usual food fare, it is not the worst thing you could put in your body. I am partial to the vegetarian breakfast croissant-wich.
They cater more towards vegetarians but they do vegan options on request.
They serve breakfast/lunch, gelato & a full coffee/tea/hot beverage bar. The atmosphere is laid back; very funky & ecclectic - not unlike the neighbourhood. Want some quiet? Go to the "adults" room in the back - no kids allowed so it keeps the volume down.

Pros: great food, atmosphere
Cons: can get busy, parking
rvasquez
rvasquez

Good for Vegetarians

3 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2008

Not a lot of options for Vegans but you can make substitutions on the sandwiches and what not to suit your needs. The owner is very nice and helpful; the staff is hit or miss on their knowledge of what is and isn't vegan though. Probably better for vegetarians as opposed to vegans.

Pros: good location, good prices
Cons: not very vegan friendly
  • Hazel-rah Hazel-rah

Yes, the Shepherd's Pie is vegan and fantastic! They use soy milk in the mashed potatoes. Also, the black bean soup and veggie chili are both vegan and very good. The double chocolate cake is also vegan.

• rvasquez rvasquez

Update: They actually have a few more vegan options now, including a to die for vegan shepherds pie!

happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Outstanding

4 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2007

Crickets is a great place to get some fantastic veggie food and hang out a while then walk around and check out some of the antique, clothing and gift shops on the block.

Breakfast available all day! They have a to-die-for veggie sausage, egg and cheese sandwich. I got mine with tomato on a croissant. Waffles (with banana or strawberries) are also amazing. Their iced soy lattes are wonderful. Also a full lunch menu, ice cream, pastries and small gift shop section in the store.

The owner and staff are really friendly.

There are a variety of seating options here so you can really get cozy and hang out at this place. There is shaded outdoor seating in front. They keep a dog water dish full so you can bring your pooch. There is a small children's area inside with a kid's table, kid's chairs, some toys and children's books in the main eating area. There's also a cool hang-out area with about 5 tables of seating in the back that is for grown-ups only. The tables by the front windows are also for grown-ups only b/c the window glass there is antique (read: fragile).

Easy street parking.

Pros: breakfast any time, children's area, outside seating
TexasVegan
TexasVegan

I like this place

3 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2007

I want to start off with the atmosphere - Crickets Creamery and Caffe is a really charming little joint in a great area. It's a great place to enjoy a cup of coffee and if you're not vegan they have ice cream, breakfast foods and some sandwiches and salads that sound pretty great. However, despite the fact they're listed here as being vegan friendly it doesn't seem all that vegan friendly to me. They have three soups a day and today one of them was vegan (the vegetarian chili - which was pretty good). All of the sandwiches had pesto, cheese, eggs or mayo as an ingredients and the menu doesn't contain a single specifically vegan item. So in short - if you're vegetarian you may well love this place, but If you're vegan, it's not good for much more than coffee and soup. It's great for coffee though. I want to specify that my rating is solely due to the fact that it isn't vegan friendly enough for me. It might well deserve 5 cows for non-vegans.

Pros: charming environment, great neighborhood, great coffee!
Cons: limited vegan options

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Crickets Creamery and Caffe: