Creole Envie

Serves meat, veg options available. Southern restaurant in the heart of the highlands district in Edmonton. An extensive vegan menu offered Mon-Sat evenings and monthly Sunday buffets. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Southern, Creole, Non-veg

• Reservations required

First Review by Posi Britt
Petesternz
Petesternz

Nice to have a classier dinner option

4 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2014

We really liked it. But beware, its a small place, and the service can be spotty. Reservations on weekends are highly recommended. But the vegan menu is a real treat, and quite unique. The dishes we had were delicious, and they even had live music the night we were there. A nice change from the few other options available in Edm. I would not give this five cows if that were available, but four is fair.

kimward8
kimward8

Unfriendly Staff

1 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2014

We tried to go here on recent day trip to Edmonton. It was 5pm and there was only one occupied table in the restaurant. We were told that they do not accept walk-ins on Friday and Saturday nights and that we should have made a reservation. The staff member was rude and unfriendly. We ended up going to Padmanadi twice instead. On their website it only says reservations recommended. They should change that to reservations required. The rude staff member didn't say that they didn't have room for us that night even, only that it was their policy not to take walk-ins.

Vegan Vipassi
Vegan Vipassi

Warning Vegans!!

3 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2014

WARNING!!!!;
A friend and I ordered some delivery from Creole Envie, from the vegan menu. They claim to prepare all vegan food in a different kitchen. Our collard greens and rice had some shredded pork in it. I did contact them, first thinking it was shredded beef. They contacted me back, not with any sort of apology, but to say they did not have beef on the menu. I wrote back and said okay, it must be pork then, and that I still had the container showing the meat, and if they wanted to see it, I would bring it in. ZERO response now....just be aware. I just could not believe that they could not even offer an apology. The email I sent was also very polite, and flattering as well.
Updated from previous review on Saturday March 15, 2014

I got an email from the owner; "My apologies." "I am sorry for the lack of a proper apology yesterday as I was off site and was unable to talk to staff until late yesterday regarding your order. "We do have some new kitchen staff and they didn't realize that the veg collards were in a separate kitchen." "I do honestly apologize for the lack of staff knowledge." Sincerely, D. Majeau.

Pros: responded well to complaint, beautiful decor, fresh ingredients
Cons: uneducated staff
Kendell_94
Kendell_94

You've gotta try out Creole Envie.

4 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2014

I'm not sure why we had never heard about this little gem before. It's a little bit out of the way (North/East-ish). You have to make a reservation to go there which is kind of strange and be sure to specify that you'd like to order off the vegan menu when making your reservation.

It's a very cute, quaint little place which has a very antique/romantic vibe which I loved. Because it's so small, we were very close to the other diners, however, which wasn't very relaxing or romantic. I noticed when we were leaving that they do have another small area on the other side (which no one was using) and I thought it would have been nice to be over there to be able to have a conversation with your dinner guest rather than everyone dining at the restaurant. I did find the staff very unfriendly, and unprofessional which is unfortunate but maybe she was having a bad day? I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, the food was unreal. I was completely unfamiliar with creole food before eating here and i was pleasantly surprised. I had the "Chicken" Fried Portobello Mushrooms with a side of mac and cheese and it was absolutely unreal. The portion was on the smaller side but it was absolutely delicious, the flavours and textures were incredible! My boyfriend got the Jambalaya which was good but not quite as noteworthy as mine. Oh and we also had the potato hot cakes to start which were good and fresh vegan homemade donut holes for dessert.

We will definitely be back, despite the bad service, and it'll be difficult to try anything else other than the "Chicken" fried Portobello Mushrooms because they were just that damn good.
Oh and it's also nice option when you're going for diner with non-veg/vegans because they have a "regular" menu as well as their extensive vegan one. Check this place out!

Pros: Excellent flavour & food, Extensive vegan options, Creative items uncommon to other places
Cons: Unfriendly staff, Have to make reservation, Tiny space/lacks privacy for diners
the_vegbrarian
the_vegbrarian

Awesome vegan menu!

4 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2013

Creole Envie has a great vegan menu on top of it's regular menu. You have to make a reservation for this small restaurant, make sure you specify that you want the vegan menu when you reserve!
I had the vegan andouille sausage po-boy, it was absolutely enormous! A whole french loaf of bread! Seriously it could probably feed two. You probably won't need a side dish, but the sweet potato fries are a good addition and there is even a vegan dipping sauce to go with them.
This is a restaurant that is somewhat high for my personal price range, but we definitely go there to celebrate special occasions! I highly recommend it.

Pros: extensive vegan menu, very large portions, super friendly owner
Cons: have to make reservations
Posi Britt
Posi Britt

OMG

4 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2013

I have never had any intrest in travelling to the south but after eating here I seriously asked my husband if we could. Entire page vegan menu had some weird and amazing things on it. Chicken and waffles? Vegan? Get in my face! My son had the chicken and waffles, I had the Jamabalaya, and my husband had the gumbo. All were phenomenal and we even finished it up with a slice of cherry pie topped with coconut milk whipped cream and an edible flower. I want to eat here every night! They only take reservations so walk ins is a no go. Totally worth it though.

Pros: Reasonable prices, Good portions, Neat atmosphere
Cons: Weird hours, Only takes reservations

Dear Owner and Manager of Creole Envie: