Serves meat, veg options available. A natural food restaurant and organic produce shop. The menu has vegetarian options. Lunch buffet for around 1260 yen, and a small a la carte dinner menu. More vegan options offered on the weekend. Also has an organic vegetable shop in the basement. Location is across from Brown Rice Cafe. Price: Moderate more-less
Japanese, Buffet, Non-veg
Kita-Aoyama 3-8-15, Omote Sando
Tokyo, Japan

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Baza

hit and miss!

3 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2014

Went here with a gluten intolerant friend because they put labels on all the buffet dishes saying what's in everything, including meat, fish, dairy, eggs, wheat, etc. There were a lot of gluten free dishes and a lot of vegetarian dishes - about 70% for both.

The second time I went, there were fewer choices. Lots of stuff with fish, lots of stuff with wheat, and seeing as the buffet price is set (around 2000 yen), it wasn't worth it and we went across the street to Brown Rice Cafe.

Pros: labeled with allergens and meat/fish/etc, good location, knowledgable staff
Cons: expensive-ish, hit and miss menu, serves meat

Nice lunch, for decent price

4 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2013

We had lunch at the Crayon today, and I was quite happy with the place.
Get ready for a queue, lots of kids, but because the place is big it didn't really bother me too much.

I'm a pescatarian, and today there was only one dish that I couldn't have, a casserole with chicken, but apart from that they had like 5-6 dishes.
The food wasn't that fancy, like don't expect mango and melon salads or soy meat dishes on offer, but for ¥1200 all you can eat buffet I think it's really-really worth it.

They have a shop full with organic produce, I bought some dried soy meat, hope it's gonna be nice.

Pros: good value for money, friendly staff
Cons: I don't like the hippy 'no nuke' signs, but I gues

Nice buffet style place

4 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2013

I came with carnivores friends on a late evening. It is not very much of a dinner place but a nice place to eat a fresh, clean, healthy, and organic meal. As mentioned not everything is vegan/vegetarian but the staff will help you as much as they can to make you know what you are eating. Staff is very friendly. Since they weren't many people in the place while we were there, the staff arrange for me a variant of some of the main dish to be vegan. Nice attention. This place though is more of lunch place like many other vegan/vegetarian place around Tokyo.

Pros: Organic, healthy, fresh, clean, Vegan/Vegetarian friendly, Friendly staff
Cons: More of a lunch place

Crayon House Shop

4 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2011

I have not eaten at the Cafe located here, but I frequently go to the little Organic Crayon House shop which is in the same location. They have a great selection of veg foods, vegetables, fresh bakery bread... soy meats, etc.

Pros: selection, price, friendly

noisy and crowded but good

4 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2011

Crayon House is a good place to go for lunch if you happen to be in the Omotesando area. Their buffet consists of 8-10 items, usually of which at least half are vegetarian. As others have pointed out, the miso soup is not vegetarian but the ingredients of the dishes are usually listed (in Japanese) along with icons of meat/fish for those who can't read Japanese.

Be prepared for potentially long lines during lunchtime. There can also be a lot of children there because of the parenting facilities above. If you're looking for someplace quiet to eat, this might not be the best place.

Pros: local produce
Cons: noisy

Delicious stir fry

4 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2010

I found my way to Crayon House on a rainy night, and had a great veg. meal. The menu makes it somewhat clear which dishes contain what, but if you ask for a vegan meal, they totally understand. I had a great Okinawan-style vegetable stir fry--lettuce, delicious bean sprouts, some green vegetables, and wonderful soft, fluffy tofu. The meal came with delicious brown rice. I'm so glad I found it!

Pros: variety, flavors, friendly service

Perfect for kids, not for vegans

4 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2007

Vegan-friendly, but not vegan-convenient.
A truly unique place with unique school-like atmosphere. Good service, food, desserts,everything. A must visit for its uniqueness (bookstore, organic shop, and other stuff for kids on the second floor. If you hesitate about this place, then give it a try, just once, you won't regret it.

Pros: The name., Good food., Big.
Cons: None really., Big.

not good value for money

1 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2007

I was excited upon discovering this place and went there for their lunch buffet (1,260 yen) on the last Sunday in August. With the high prices of fruit & vegetables in Japan, I thought the price was too good to be true, and it was. The spread was not extensive to begin with, and three dishes had meat or seafood. We could only have a salad, cold tofu, hot bitter melon dish with carrot, some cold pickles, brown rice with a tasty, slimy potato porridge, and miso soup. (By the way, the miso soup has fish stock.) No fruit, dessert or cheese. They only used cheap veggies for everything. I was not full and will not go back. It was quite busy with a lot of young parents and kids, as the building houses a children toy store, bookstore, etc.

Pros: inexpensive, good brown rice
Cons: very limited veggie selection, cheap ingredients

my update

4 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2006

I went back for the lunch buffet. Many selections but only 1 salad and the rice were vegan. Maybe 1 more vegetarian option.
I went through each item with a senior-looking server. The miso soup is not vegetarian, and the sea-vegetable salad contains fish stock or pig extract. The woman only recalled ingredients at my prompts.
The salad had apples, baby leafs, and a few other things but was mostly lettuce. A french dressing was already on it. It was delicious by japanese standards and I had 2 heaped plates full with some delicious genmai with sesame sprinkled on top - all for 1300yen. Considering the fact that 'sizzler' have no vegan dressings (manager has a list), this is one of the best salad bars in Central Tokyo, even if only one dish is available.

Pros: large portions, reasonable price
Cons: lots of meat, limited options at lunch, hi chance of eating fish

Dear Owner and Manager of Crayon House: