Country Life - Vodickova

Veggie food cafe upstairs from the Country Life natural food shop, short walk south of Old Square. Menu consists of vegan food, salad bar, veggie burgers, pizza, and more; uses many organic ingredients. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Fast food, Organic, Czech, Western, Salad bar, Take-out

First Review by mfoy
BlisterBlue
BlisterBlue

Organic shop & take away

2 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2013

The place is quiet small and this is actually an organic shop with some take away. There are abour 12 sits if you want to eat there.
The shop is NOT VEGAN!!!!!
When I asked if all the products in the shop were vegan I was told yes but in fact they were not, "only" vegetarian for most of them.
All the ingredients on the items are written in Czech so there was no way for us to know if the products were actually vegan or not.
Apart from that, we tried the take away risotto which was vegan and it was really good!
It's not a place I would recommend though unless your speak Czech fluently and can determined which products are vegan and which are not.

Pros: Location
Cons: Not vegan, Small place
beegantravels
beegantravels

Could Be Better

3 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2013

I only ate here once while in Prague because I wasn't very happy with my original experience. The man serving the food didn't speak very much English and seemed less than thrilled when I asked what was vegan. Also, there wasn't enough seating upstairs after I got my food. Although I feel this place could use some improvements (such as food labeled vegan and vegetarian on the serving bar), I will rate it as "fair" because I really appreciated the vegan yogurt and things like that sold in the store part of the "restaurant"

Pros: vegan yogurt sold in store, some friendly staff
Cons: vegan food not labeled on bar, some staff not friendly, not enough seats
Karina_S
Karina_S

Perfect!

5 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2011

Cannot express my gratefulness to this restaurant cause it literally saved my ass))it was tasty and relatively cheap.Loved it,
I kept on coming there for 10 days out of my 10 day trip to prague.I also bought lots of stuff in the health store for dinner then.

Pros: tasty, cheap, cosy
natz
natz

great for lunch

4 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2010

The restaurant is actually round the corner from the shop (not upstairs) in a nice courtyard that reminds me of Neals Yard in London. Big queue when we we went at lunchtime on Friday but enough tables to fit everyone. Great choice of mixed salads, hot foods and also have tofu burgers and burittos as well as a couple of soups each day. Get a plate and fill it as you go along the counter then get it weighed at the end. Free water from a dispenser at the end of the till. We also tried the desserts on offer which were excellent - with carob rather than chocolate. Recommended for a filling lunch. Problem is the opening hours - it closes at 6pm and didn't seem to be open much at the weekends. Very high quality, healthy food.

Pros: central location, just off the square, excellent food, help yourself
Cons: busy at lunch time, don't know cost until weighed
cookster
cookster

Countrylife - Vodickova

4 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2009

Country Life is a nice little bio store with a lunch section. It is close to my school, so when all my peers went to menza (cafeteria) to get a cheap Czech meal, I chose to go here. Everything is vegetarian.

The lunch selection is really good and popular too. They have a hot bar everyday with a soup (for 35kc, +5kc for bread), two hot dishes with soy meat - usually a traditional Czech dish (for 65kc), bulgar cakes, and couscous patties (for around 20kc i think). All of which is really well done with good traditional Czech flavour, yet vegetarian! They also have a cold area with salads with soynaise dressing, tofu burgers and other sandwhiches, drinks, cakes, and other things.

They have seating upstairs. Usually during lunch time it gets pretty busy but there is always a seat for two. The tables each have four seats so your always going to be sitting with a few people you don't know. This can be nice if your trying to start up a conversation or practice your Czech, but usually they will leave you alone (and sometimes want to be left alone too!).

They have a good selection of bio and vegetarian groceries. They have all the standard stuff but additionally some rare finds. For example, I have enjoyed the vegetarian sausages (cheap and tasty), kombucha mothers, and nori for sushi.

Getting there: take a tram (i know 14 and 24 go there for sure) to the Vodickova stop. Also close to the metro stop Karlovo Namesti.

p.s. Dobrou chut' = (bon appetit, enjoy your meal, etc.)

Pros: Lunch, Vegetarian Czech dishes

captain_sensible
captain_sensible

Good wholesome veggie nosh

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2009

When touring with punk band The Damned the general rule is to avoid your colleagues at all costs until closer to showtime. With all that traveling we live on top of each other pretty much so a little break now can work wonders. This may go somewhere towards explaining how we have survived for 31 years on the road without too many incidents of fisticuffs to account for.

Anyway, here I was at Country Life's self service counter choosing some pretty delicious looking wholesome food together when I spy our bassist Stu West already ensconced in the restaurant and tucking into an enormous plate of veggie nosh. Well.... great minds think alike and all that - and the occasional portion of healthy food on the road is not to be sniffed at so all was good.

So, what would I add to the comments here about Country Life in Prague? Well.... like a lot of Euro veggie gaffs there is a tenancy towards pretend meat products..... Seitan and the like - which although it has a decent taste and pleasant chewy texture would not be the sort of thing I cook at home. The UK has been ahead of the game veggie wise by a few years on the rest of the continent so we have got past the 'it has to look like meat' stage to a certain extent.

However, for an unpretentious self service pay by weight of food cafe right in the centre of a still lovely city (if you manage to avoid all the UK stag and hen parties) then Country Life is pretty bloomin' good if you ask me.

I recommend this one highly playmates.

Pros: Wholesome, Tasty, Location
Cons: Can get busy
  • marnia marnia

I am not sure I agree about how ahead of the game we are in the UK,Mr Sensible, or can I call you Captain?
    Anyway, the number of veg restaurants I see on Happy Cows map of Prague convinces me otherwise.

katie_b
katie_b

delicious

4 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2009

i ate here every day while visiting prague. the food was totally diffrent, fresh, delicious, not spicy, or complexly flavorful, but yummy. Plus it was easy to take stuff to eat later.

Pros: funny looking, yummy, good veggie burger
Cons: kinda pricey compared 2 meat prices
bengigit
bengigit

"Take away" Country Life

3 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2008

This branch of Country Life is best regarded as a take away destination. They usually have soup(s? not sure there's selection), salads, vegetable sandwiches with soya mayonnaise, vegan "burgers" and some deserts. There's also a health food shop attached, though smaller than the other branch. The food is not very exciting, quite simple and bland even (especially the deserts, which are flavourless at best), but very affordable and convenient - therefore best for take away, especially the sandwich and "burgers". They have at least four different types of "burgers", one of which is simply tofu slices in a bun with vegetables and (surprisingly good) soya mayonnaise, the others are slightly closer to the burger concept. They're served cold, and are definitely the best thing in this Country Life. The biggest problem I have with Country Life is the fact that they only use plastic, single-use plates, bowls and cutlery - another reason to get your burger and go eat it somewhere else. If you like your fake meat, they have great vegan pastrami in the shop - there's also gluten-free versions, but they are NOT vegan.

mfoy
mfoy

good for something quick

3 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2008

This is a smaller location compared to the location closer to the square (on Melantrichova). No buffet here - just order from the counter.
So if you want the buffet with a larger selection (and hot food options) go to the one on Melantrichova.
Might be that everything is vegan at country life, but not sure.
Had a very tasty tofu sandwich here.
Great place for grabbing a vegan cook or poppyseed pastry.

Pros: quick
Cons: small selection

Dear Owner and Manager of Country Life - Vodickova: