Natural food shop stocks an assortment of healthy organic foods including a small selection of organic fruits and vegetables, cereal, snacks, packaged dried vegetarian foods, and a refrigerated case of yoghurts, dairy, tofu, and tempeh. No vitamins or supplements. Closed on Sat. more-less
Melantrichova 15, Praha 1, Czechia (alley off Old Square, just south of Astronomical Clock)
Prague, Czech Republic

Fionio
Fionio

picnics made easy!

5 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2014

Excellent range of foodstuffs- makes picnicking/self catering a doddle. Central location. Just off Old Town Square. Friendly staff- helpful and willing to help point out vegan/non vegan items in your basket. Always interesting to see and try new ranges in another country... and comforting to see more familiar brands too. Traditional pickles and pates alongside dairy free cheeses, milks, sweets and a good selection of general grocery items/fresh fruit & veg.

Pros: central location, good range
roxyru
roxyru

Heart of Prague - yummy food

4 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2013

We ate here this past week, and had a Tomato and Squash stew with Basmati Rice and also some Potatoes and Broccoli.
The food was tasty, and was sold by the weight.
We enjoyed the food, and the atmosphere was great!

Pros: Warm Meals sold by weight
Cons: Could have been more options
Chia
Chia

Country Life Natural Food Shop

4 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2012

Was here on a past trip to Prague, and here's my review for HappyCow.

Though the shop is small, it stocks a wide range of products. There were many customers when I was there.

The prices seemed okay, a bit more than other shops, but that was all right considering all the foods in here are organic and natural.

There is also a small selection of freshly baked breads and cookies and lots of vegetarian and vegan snacks.

orangensaft
orangensaft

Poor quality 'on the go' food

1 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2011

I was really excited to see this store while I walking through Prague, hungry but having resigned myself to searching for somewhere that does chips. There seemed to be a good selection of products, I bought a ready packed sandwich wrapped in brown paper. As I couldn't read the label, as I asked the shop assistant if it was vegan, and when she said it was I bought it. Biggest disappointment of my life, it was just a (pretty expensive) plain salad sandwich, no dressing or anything remotely interesting about it at all. I do like salad, but I was definitely expecting something more imaginative. It also had suspicious white creamy looking stuff on it. It didn't get finished.

Noelle Elia
Noelle Elia

why can't the staff be friendlier???

2 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2010

i shop @ Country Life @ least twice a week. i've been going there consistently for the past three months. while i'm still adjusting to the very basic selection (where is the hummus?) my biggest bit of"constructive criticism" is" why can't the staff be friendlier??

considering the most friendly staff @ the Country Life restaurant RIGHT NEXT DOOR, i really wish the people that worked @ the country life food store could make a small effort to be more friendly. for the most part, no one smiles EVER - they are seemingly miffed if you don't speak czech (due to its proximity to old town square, i'm guessing close to half its customers are foreigners), and they are visibly irritated to be asked a question about merchandise. (that happened to me today when i asked about the apple purée/apple sauce which i eat on a regular basis...the woman was irritated to be asked, and gave me the impression that it's never to be restocked, w/o explanation.)

considering i spend a lot of money there - willingly - it would be really nice if there were a more positive atmosphere there - especially as it's a small health food store, not a huge, impersonal supermarket! since i shop there so often, it would be nice to feel comfortable there....it's really SUCH a different energy than the restaurant next door where people greet you (wow!), smile (double wow!) and have no problem answering your questions as best they can given the language barrier.

i often leave the Country Life store wondering why they have to be so unpleasant. it really makes for a less than positive shopping experience.

beyond that, i get all my soy yogurt, baked tofu, aloe vera juice, nuts and seeds from them. and that really helps, especially living in such a meat-centric city....

the proximity to my apt. really helps, but i may start going elsewhere -- the health food store Bionebio Health Food Store @ Dejvická 26, Praha 6 -- has very friendly staff...Country Life could learn something from them...

Updated from previous review on Sunday December 05, 2010

Pros: the basics, proximity to where i live
Cons: unfriendly staff, closes early on friday, closed saturday, not enough variety
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Bland product...

3 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2010

After I ate a disappointing meal and dessert at the restaurant next door to the store (also Country Life) I thought I'd give their desserts a second shot. I bought the "Oriskove Trubicky Plnene Laksmanna" (like cannoli's) which were made by Country Life and again was disappointed. They were bland and just not good. The store is a little small but it's all vegetarian with a few vegan items. I cannot recommend the vegan items made there as everything I've had has been disappointing. If you're near the Astronomical Clock maybe stroll past this place and check it out, but I don't think it's anything to go out of your way for.

Pros: All Vegetarian
hack_man
hack_man

Central Perk

3 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2010

A 100% vegetarian and vegan store in the middle of Prague Old Town. Is that amazing or what. They sell and extensive range of products, fantastic for stocking up your hotel room with if you are here for a while such as soya milk and snacks. Great to see the store busy and doing well.

Pros: stock, location

Dear Owner and Manager of Country Life Store - Melantrichova: