Country Life

Marseille vegetarian restaurant and natural food shop operated by Seventh Day Adventists. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, French, Western
14 rue Venture (2 min walk southeast of Vieux Port between Rue Paradis and Rue de Rome)
Marseille, France 13001
04-96112800

Restaurant open Mon-Fri 11:30-14:30. Shop open Mon-Thur 9:00-18:30, Fri 9:00-15:00.

First Review by Stevie
Poundie
Poundie

Good place

3 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2013

Nice buffet with some vegan options near the old port. Country Life restaurants are among my favorites. This one was not quite on the level as the other CL places I have been to ... smaller variety of choices, no knockout dishes . Still, it was fine.

Pros: healthy food, simple atmosphere, good location
Cons: relatively limited buffet choicest
ira
ira

Good food, but..

3 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2007

... make sure you doublecheck what is vegan. When I hesitantly asked at the counter, a middle-aged man led me to the buffet and said: Everything you see is Vegan.

Which later turned out NOT to be true! There is egg in the pastries- and I only was told after I asked 3 times-- " but it's not like one egg per piece, it's more like one or two for a batch"

I loved the raw and cooked food (which I truly believe was vegan)- but a bit shocked about the weird definition of veganism the waiter had... ('if there is just a little bit of egg in it, it's still vegan')

Pros: modest prices, healthy food, central location
Cons: check twice what's vegan
Saddler
Saddler

Bright and airy

4 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2007

We approached this place with some trepidation, half expecting it to be closed, given the earlier review, but on a Wednesday lunchtime in July, it was open and doing a good trade. The dining room is bright and airy, decorated in traditional Provencal colours, and the food is presented via a buffet with 5 or 8 euro plates. There was a wide range of food to choose from, some cooked, some cold, and a few desserts. Although the woman at the counter was unsure about what was vegan, she was very friendly and, after she had checked, it turned out almost everything was. It was all very tasty food and the vegan desserts were excellent. Only useful for lunch but recommended.

Pros: choice, vegan friendly, ambience
Cons: only lunchtime
Stevie
Stevie

Country Life, Marseille

2 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2007

I would be delighted to give a more detailed and informative review of this establishment. However the very limited opening hours mean trying to eat in this restaurant at the weekend is akin to trying to find a virgin being wheeled into a maternity ward.

Apart from the view of the restaurant from the outside (and the doors, walls and windows are certainly no worse than any others that I've been priveleged enough to witness in my life time) the only other thing I am positioned to comment on about this place is the mega central location. It's on quiet side street about 2 mins walk from Vieux Port.

Pros: Central location
Cons: Limited opening hours

Dear Owner and Manager of Country Life: