Reported May 2012 after move from E North Loop, this place offers meatless and dairy-free food using organic, fair trade, and produce from local area farmers. Daily specials, sandwiches, plates, desserts, and weekend brunch. Oil free, gluten-free, and soy-free options. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Raw, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out

DaveMiami
DaveMiami

Love this place!

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2014

It's very clear what items are gluten free or soy free. The ingredients seem really quality and healthy. I always get the gf/sf mac-n-cheeze with cashew cheeze. Cool east austin vibe. Awesome!

Pros: Clear menu, Quality, Cool vibe
lai.9292
lai.9292

love

5 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2014

Great first experience. There are so many vegan options, it took me forever to decide what to choose. luckily, I have a vegetarian boyfriend and we always split our plates so we can try more deliciousness. I loved our food and the sides were awesome, not your typical sides you'll find at a conventional restaurant. I loved my hibiscus tea, but next time I want to try the juice special.
Everything is homemade and I can tell a lot of heart was put into the menu and atmosphere. There was batik art adorning the walls, so cute. I look forward to this heat winding down so we can sit outside with the pretty twinkly lights. I felt so comfy and happy being there.
I really appreciate the owners philosophy on minimal waste, recycled to-go ware, local when accessible, and organic items.

eleven11
eleven11

Cruelty Free Perfection

5 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2014

My girlfriend and I had a great time in this place, she ordered the pesto ravioli with quinoa salad and flax crackers, and I ordered the savory seitan with the spinach citrus salad and grilled veggies. We then split everything in half and shared a super meal! The staff were all very friendly/happy/helpful/kind. We will be coming back for sure. This might be our new favorite place to eat out in town

Pros: Atmosphere, 100% Cruelty Free, Organic
MonicaPearson
MonicaPearson

Amazing!

5 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2014

My family was visiting Austin for a few days and found this restaurant on the HappyCow app. The atmosphere was very thrift store feeling and the staff were super friendly and attentive. Food was so good we went back our second day there. We all tried different dishes and were all just as happy the second day. Melted was my favorite! Will definitely go back next time we pass through!

kateatsplants
kateatsplants

Ah-mazing vegan fare!

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2014

SUCH good food! There's nothing better than going to a place that can provide a multi course all vegan fare that is handmade and tastes amazing and Counter Culture delivers on ALL of the above!

I had the bruschetta to start, which was so yummy with the pesto and tomatoes on homemade flax crackers. My main course was the savory seitan which hit all the "hot/savory/gravy" happy spots. It also came with a choice of 2 sides which I made into a double portion of the spinach and citrus salad with tahini dressing. The ultimate compliment for me, as someone who usually abhors salad dressing, is that I gobbled it up without a second thought...just the right amount, enough for flavor, but not drowning the veggies.

The staff were pleasant and personable and my waitress suggested the local Zoes beer, which was hops heaven! Highly recommend it and even better that it's local! :)

All in all, just a fab meal, would eat here again in a heartbeat!

Pros: Variety of vegan options, Two sides included with some entrees

JCB
JCB

Our favorite vegan restaurant

5 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2014

At this friendly place the food is always amazing and we love trying the specials. If you have allergies or a special diet, everything is labeled. Nice shaded patio for warm weather and cozy indoor ambiance for cooler weather. Good choice of wines which are discounted for Happy Hour.

MaryAnneRohrdanz
MaryAnneRohrdanz

Amazing artichoke dip and sake cider

5 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2013

They were open and cheerful Christmas Eve! I was sad they had to work, but grateful for the lovely food :).

I think you should order the artichoke dip. IT WAS AMAZING. We asked about the ingredients, and my non-vegan friend who HATES nutritional yeast and creamy sauces was stunned to discover the creamy dip she was enjoying included nutritional yeast :)

We ordered the brown rice flour crust tofu ricotta green pizza and the pad thai. They were nice, but not super seasoned. We found our selves putting hot sauce on them. Cayenne pepper is my go-to condiment for almost everything, though. :)

For dessert we had these amazingly decadent coconut balls, that were just great, and home-brew hot cider with a little sake that really hit the spot. Great!

Pros: friendly friendly staff, gluten free / soy free clearly labeled, both healthy and decadent options
AMuellerTX
AMuellerTX

Great vegan restaurant

5 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2013

Lots of options for vegans, vegetarians, and gluten free. Great food, fair price, friendly service. Indoor and outdoor seating.

Pros: Good food, Vegan, GF options, Good size restaurant
Cons: Most parking on nearby streets
caminurse
caminurse

Counter Culture Revolution

5 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2013

Wow, what a wonderful meal I just enjoyed. A revolutionary way to eat. I just wish they was some here to eat like this near my home. The food is fabulous, the service great and the price was totally reasonable.

Pros: food, price, service
PsychoVH
PsychoVH

Good!

5 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2013

We went for lunch during SXSW, since our appartment was near.
I had the savory seitan, which is just awesome! The jalopeno cornbread on the side isn't really that hot, but just good with this plate!
My friends went a couple of more times, this place is highly recommendable!

Pros: Savory seitan!, good and friendly staff, good vibe and bands during SXSW!
Creepyvegan
Creepyvegan

Such a gem

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2012

I eat here every time I am in Austin I love it so much. I love thir themed sandwiches like the thanksgiving one. Yummy. The staff is so nice and friendly, when they had the trailer they would have live music haven't been since they moved. Their desserts are so tasty and not overly sweet. I like that they have kale salad and it is raw. Just a fun good place.

Pros: Healthy, Friendly staff, Good value
veganbritt
veganbritt

Incredible

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2012

The fake tuna melt is incredible! Tuna melts used to be one of my favorite things before I went vegan. I was amazed at how it really captured the flavor of a tuna melt while being entirely vegan. Seriously, it's worth going just for that. The Pac-Man kale salad was my favorite side. And I'm not a huge kale fan, generally. The last Wednesday of the month, they have vegan cheese fondue and chocolate fondue. $30 for two people. Judging from the other people we saw around us, it looked like you get quite a good amount of fondue and food to dip in it. It's definitely on my calendar to get the fondue.

Pros: All-vegan, Amazing food, Lots of raw options
Cons: Fondue is once a month
DeannaWest
DeannaWest

Taste Buds are Dancing!!

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2012

Some friends n I sampled a few items to split. Everything was flavorful and amazingly good! We need a North Location!!

eatyourveggies
eatyourveggies

So glad that CC exists!

5 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2012

I couldn't be more thrilled that Counter Culture has a brick and mortar now offering more delicious vegan eats! The menu is diverse with many gluten-free, raw, and oil-free choices. There is something for everyone and rotating specials. You can get anything from philly cheesesteak sandwich to mac n' cheese or raw ravioli on the lighter side. Portions are hearty and prices affordable. The weekend brunch is really delicious (french toast and omelet our of this world!) and Sue often has dj's, which is a nice touch! Great patio too!

Pros: healthy food, affordable, atmosphere
TexasVegan
TexasVegan

Counter Culture

4 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2010

Last I was in Austin I stopped by Counter Culture for lunch. I had a great sandwich for 6 dollars. You can't really beat that. After having only eaten there once, my only complaint about it is that isn't in my hometown of Houston. I can't wait to go again.

Pros: great food, inexpensive, outdoors
Cons: outdoors
veganhope
veganhope

The best.

5 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2010

We travel full time, and this is my favorite vegan spot. Sue has created fantastic vegan meals. Every thing on the menu is perfect. This is the place we take our non vegan friends to and they always love it. Do yourself a favor and ALWAYS get whatever dessert Sue has that week, you will never regret it. All of the food is fresh, made by her and creative. Do yourself a favor and make this your first stop for vegan food in Austin.

Pros: Any desserts!, The entire menu. , Price is fantastic.
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Inventive is an understatement

5 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2010

Green apple cashew cheese sandwich!!! I was sort of like a deer frozen in headlights when I approached the menu at the sight of the green apple sandwich. My whole game plan was throw off and I went for it. It was amazing! I still am craving it to this moment. Counter Culture is a super cool food truck with a permanent location and matching bright blue picnic tables for dining. Cash only, but there is an ATM in the gas station parking lot its stationed at. Be brave, try something new!

Pros: green apple sandwich, fun atmosphere, friendly!
earthville
earthville

Inventive and supertasty food, relaxed vibe.

5 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2010

Eating at Counter Culture's backyard picnic tables felt a bit like a vacation in the tropics. A relaxed, friendly vibe, and flavorful, imaginative food in a colorful, rustic setting. The jackfruit BBQ sandwich was first rate - an instant fave - and the kale Caesar salad was yummy too. Her desserts are also recommended. Though she doesn't serve drinks, she has convinced the adjacent convenience store to carry more healthful bottled beverage (we had a tasty kombucha with organic grape juice). There was ample parking on our visit.

Highly recommended!

Pros: All vegan, creative and delicious food, Very affordable, especially for quality, Casual picnic table dining
pjw2000
pjw2000

Yum!

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2010

Sue's trailer is a great spot to grab a bite. It's on a cool little block (North Loop) in North/Central Austin, and there are picnic tables to eat at and a convenience store to buy drinks (or you can just bring your own). The sandwiches are great - the Philly Seitan rivals the Wheatsville deli's Popcorn Tofu Poboy for best vegan sandwich in town. There are also weekly specials that are quite good. Sunday brunch is also great, it lasts from 12 to 2 with a menu that also changes week-to-week. There are also occasional events, especially if the weather's nice. The best way to get updated on the specials and events is to friend Counter Culture on Facebook, but you can also see them via countercultureaustin.com. Remember that it's cash only and that it's only open Thu-Sat 12-8 and Sun 12-6 (this may change with the seasons).

Pros: Sandwiches, Specials/Events/Brunch, Mostly organic
Cons: No drinks, Outdoor seating only, Parking may be limited

Dear Owner and Manager of Counter Culture: