Home style coffee bar offering breakfast and lunch food all made in its vegan kitchen. Also sells packaged sweets, whole cakes, dips, syrups and sauces. All vegan except organic milk, cream, and yogurt options. Has free wi-fi. Relaxing atmosphere with eclectic furniture. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western
1087 New North Rd, Mt Albert (Richardson)
Auckland, New Zealand 1025
09-8460655

First Review by Saffron1299
Jacki
Jacki

Delicious Vegan Food!

5 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2014

A fab find for us whilst in Auckland. Delicious rolls, wraps and savoury foods as well as awesome hot cakes and desserts.
Updated from previous review on Saturday July 05, 2014

Pros: Fantastic Coffee, Light, Fluffy Hot Cakes With Cashew Cream And Jam, Fresh, Delicious Fare
kreachr
kreachr

Cutest little cafe in Mt Albert

4 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2014

The cafe is cute with an eclectic mix of furniture, the staff are friendly, and the food is good. It's nice to know that anything you order is going to be vegan-friendly unless you specifically ask for dairy milk, cream or yogurt. And they're open on Sundays! Worth a little bit of a trip out of the way if it's not in your usual area - it's small but homely.

Pros: Good sized portions, Vegan, Nice staff
Cons: Limited outdoor seating
Shev2
Shev2

Love the cakes!

5 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2013

Sweet cafe, selling vegan food a plentiful! Who ever moaned about them serving dairy is just being ridiculous! The cafe is all vegan except milk, you can opt for cashew cream which is amazing with the cakes ... There are not many places where the menu is completely vegan.
The food is delicious with lots of choice, would definitely recommend a trip to Cosset whether you are just visiting Auckland or are a local :)

Pros: Great atmosphere, Delicious food, 100% vegan food
magicalprincess666
magicalprincess666

Pleasant all-vegan cafe

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2013

great coffees which can be flavoured with 'lavender' and 'star anise' etc.

nice baking with a small food menu that changes. would like to see them expand their menu to include more cooked food - so far everything ive tried here has been very nice.

the decor is nice and contemporary however last time i was in there there was what looked to be a kids drawing of a swastika inside which i found odd. not sure of the context there but would suggest taking it down.

Updated from previous review on Sunday June 09, 2013

Pros: coffee, all vegan food, decor
Cons: weird swastika art
vegankiwis
vegankiwis

Best cafe in town

5 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2013

We miss Cosset since we moved away! Their whole menu is vegan and delicious - plus, the cafe itself is super cute and cozy. You can get comfortable with a hot water bottle near the resident cat during the winter.

Amazing homemade baked goods! The brunch/breakfast menu is always delicious too - try the almond pancakes or homemade baked beans. I only wish they didn't serve dairy milk, yogurt or cream, but that's to be expected from NZ. Still, it's the best place with a 100% vegan food menu. (Just make sure you ask for soy if you're vegan)

Pros: Vegan baked goods, Cute environment, Big menu
Cons: Serves dairy

Diz Parker
Diz Parker

Cosset Cafe

5 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2013

Delicious food. Fresh, tasty and loads to select from. Loved the furnishings. Very homely. Excellent service.

RayTomes
RayTomes

Excellent and Creative Food

5 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2013

I wouldn't pick Cosset for its furnishings which look like left over 1950s school furniture, but the food is always tasty and innovative.

VegAmi
VegAmi

The Best vegan pie I have ever got!

5 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2012

Today, I had the best vegan pie I have ever eaten! Pumpkin, spinach, zucchini, pesto... A combination which really took my breath away! I also had a try for the best vegan pina colada smoothie and the macarone-chocolate cake and I took away a walnut tart with portobello mushrooms. Everything I got was SO good! Nothing to complain about! And the service was EXCELLENT! Thanks for the advice got from the waitresses, I found back to the city by taking an alternative route by foot. It was great after eating so well ;)
Even though this cafe/bisto is a bit further away from the city, it is ABSOLUTELY worth visiting! It's one of the greatest vegan places I have EVER been! FANTASTIC!

Pros: Excellent totally vegan food, Excellent service, Lovely decoration
msblack
msblack

Cakes, mmmmmm

5 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2011

I don't find myself in Mt Albert very often but when I'm within about a 20 min drive, I will take a detour to stop by. Their baked goods are so good, and such a variety that always changes. The chocolate brownie is so fricken good, the perfect balance of crunchy, chewy and melt in your mouthy. The raspberry macadamia cake from last week was divine. The pancakes for breakfast (or lunch) are super tasty, way better than the vegan pancakes at Revel which were terrible. Would love Cosset to open a cafe downtown, I'd be there everyday.

Pros: Cakes, Brownies, Pancakes
Yvette Rigby
Yvette Rigby

Cozy vegan nook worth the travel!

4 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2011

It was a bit of a trek to get to Cosset - especially on an awful wet windy day, coming from a Mangere hotel, as a Wellingtonian unfamiliar with the area and relying on public transport! We ordered the filo pie of the day (crispy and delish), the hotcakes (fluffy yumminess) and a slice of chocolate macaroon cake to share (dense and coconutty). I was really impressed with the vegan condiments that came with the cake: strawberry sauce, dark choc syrup, whipped cream AND strawberry yoghurt. Ordered a slice of cranberry and coconut loaf to go, again dense and coconutty. My only issue would be that the wait staff forgot to bring us either sweet, but their friendliness made up for that. If only we had a Wellington Cosset :)

Pros: Completely vegan menu, Wide variety of sweets, Cozy atmosphere
Cons: Difficult to get to
Guest
Guest

Vegan friendly?

4 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2011

Nice little place to have a snack and while away and hour,
food great (a bit pricy)and very friendly staff, however, hardly vegan friendly when it's serving cows milk and dairy based yogurt, might just as well have a side of beef hanging in the window. Sure it's good to be able to get vegan food but you can get vegan food anywhere (even in MC donalds), in my humble opinion if they want to tout themselves as vegan or vegan friendly (i accept they may not be advertising themselves as such)then they should be selling only vegan food otherwise it's just another omnivores cafe devoid of concern for animals. Is the vegan food just to pull in the punters? i suppose so, when it all boils down to it they just want to make a buck regardless of any ethical concerns.

Pros: tasty vegan food, nice ambience, friendly staff
Cons: a bit pricy, sells animal product, parking
  • misssakura misssakura

I really feel that it's important to respond to this review. It states
    "hardly vegan friendly when it's serving cows milk and dairy based yogurt". The term 'vegan friendly' means that the establishment serves a good selection of vegan food. Cosset goes beyond even that definition by making all of its food vegan. The review then states "when it all boils down to it they just want to make a buck regardless of any ethical concerns". It is incredibly, incredibly hard for even a normal dairy-meat-happy cafe to stay open for more than a year. Can you imagine what the odds are then, for a vegan cafe? It's all very well to state that you want somewhere to be 100% vegan and in an ideal world that would happen. However there are people who refuse to drink coffee with soy milk and would steer away from this place. Isn't it better to have a cafe that stays open and supports vegan food rather than one that is idealistic but ends up closing? There isn't a lot of choice in New Zealand, believe it or not and I think this is an acceptable compromise. The staff stated to me before that they only buy small quantities of milk from organic farms. Perhaps if they become more established they can phase out the milk. I find it ridiculous that you think "otherwise it's just another omnivores cafe devoid of concern for animals". How is it an omni cafe when the milk is in a fridge, away from the kitchen and is only served to customers who specifically ask for cow's milk? To then state it may as well be McDonalds is a further insult. They are trying very hard, in a country that is very meat and cheese happy, to introduce a great selection of vegan food to the public and doing a good job. This is, for all intents and purposes, a vegan cafe.

Dmitry
Dmitry

Enjoyable

5 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2011

I've had a medium bowl (there are 3 sizes) with a combination of 3 yummy salads (chickpeas etc), a bowl of wholesome onion soup (not fully my thing re spicing, but I finished it off diligently - there might be other soups on other days), and Cosset Meze - a combination of yummy dips: pesto, olives etc with a selection of crispy toasted breads. Very nice pina colada smoothie and cranberry juice rounded up with a large pot of tea (more than 2 cups) and a yummy orange and other goodies cake slice and a sweet tasty ball with embedded coffee grains. There's a wide selection of cakes, a lot of them labeled gluten free. I didn't quizz about everything being vegan, but most of it seemed to be. It's pretty cozy - I was enjoying my combined breakfast and lunch on a padded bench, reading weekend paper and peering through the window. The service was extremely friendly and fast too: they even asked me if I was ready for another dish.

Pros: Great food, Great service, Vegan enough for me
misssakura
misssakura

A great place for vegans to chill out

4 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2010

We had read some good reviews of Cosset and finally got around to trying it today. I had hardly any food the day before so I was hungry! We drove past the cafe the first time and had to park and walk up. The inside of the cafe is going for the 'quirky vintage' look which is interesting but maybe not that practical when it comes to seating. We picked a little school desk by the door but it was a bit cramped. Anyway the menu is all vegan but they do have some dairy milk and yoghurt in the fridge. I picked the filo pie with the carrot salad on the side. My partner had the special of the day, the Garlic mushrooms (which were pricy at $15.50!). We also had a latte and a cranberry juice. The music playing was a little sleepy but not obnoxious and the staff prompt and friendly.

We received the meal and my partner was a little upset by the size of the meal. For $15 you'd expect a huge plate but actually it was just a crumpet cut in half with what looked like 2 portabello mushrooms. All in all the ingredients probably cost them about $2-3. That said the meal did taste absolutely delicious and the vegan aioli on the side was yummy. My filo pie was nice and light and the carrot salad was fresh and tasty. I actually loved pouring some of the aioli over my carrot salad, yummy! For pudding we had the chocolate cake with some sort of cranberry jam. I think it was made from wholemeal flour which gave it an interesting taste. The texture was good, maybe a little 'healthy' tasting but after the first few bites we really got into it and finished the whole plate.

I think their specials of the day are very overpriced for the amount of food you get. The pies are much better priced and the one I had was delicious.

I will definitely go back and hopefully I won't keep asking 'are you sure it's vegan?'. Just not used to that amount of choice. :)

Pros: friendly staff, nice pies, all vegan!
Cons: expensive, cramped seating, small portions
sunshinevegan
sunshinevegan

A cute little gem in Mt Albert

3 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2010

This is a delightful little cafe tucked away in Mt Albert where you wouldn't expect it, and I love the fact that they don't overtly advertise that they are vegan - in fact I wouldn't have known unless I asked - because it means those non-vegans among us don't approach it with any personal bias, and can simply enjoy it for what it is. The menu and flavour of some items on the limited menu could be improved on, but the truffles are amazing and the eclectic range of furnishings and table books make it a lovely place to meet for coffee. Really lovely staff too.

Petesternz
Petesternz

Great to have a vegan cafe...

4 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2010

since I live in Auckland. That said, my first visit was enough to get me back, but not enough for a rave review. It's a cute little place, going for a "vintage" look. The pros first: some seriously good coffee, and an all-vegan menu. But the menu itself was tiny. Our brunch options consisted of hotcakes and muesli. The hotcakes were good, though nothing special, though it was certainly nice to have this option in Auckland. Our muffin was also good, though not as good as what's on offer at Kokako. On the whole, we had a pleasant experience, but it's not a place I'll be running to. But overall, I'm very happy that Auckland has a place that's unabashedly vegan, and promotes vegan events as well - so good on them!

Cons: tiny menu
sophie666
sophie666

Sweet and Earthy

5 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2010

I really like this cafe, the staff are super down to earth and friendly. The food is really nice, has almost an earthy taste to it. The environment is really laid back and relaxing.

Saffron1299
Saffron1299

This is a MUST GO!

5 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2010

Oh. My. God. SERIOUSLY good food. Highly, highly recommended. The food was a treat to my taste buds, the coffee divine, service was wonderful - a totally enjoyable experience on many levels! Even my so NOT vegan husband loved everything he ate and drank and will happily go back - to quote him "I was pleasantly surprised by the good food and the coffee is the best in the world".

Pros: amazing food, friendly staff, really cute decor

Dear Owner and Manager of Cosset: