Restaurant is adorned with Eastern religious icons and cosmic landscapes both inside and out. Will accommodate vegans upon request. Hosts music, yoga, dance, and poetry events. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Indian, Pakistani, American, Beer/Wine

MalarkeyJones
MalarkeyJones

Not VEGAN Friendly

Posted on 11 / 06 / 2014

This place is great if you eat dairy and don't care too much about oil being in your food.

For a mostly raw vegan.... Try BeRaw or Spiral next time!

Pros: chill atmosphere, meditation rooms upstairs, friendly staff and customers
Cons: Cheese/Yogurt sauce on EVERYTHING!, Desserts aren't really vegan, Hard knock life for a raw vegan
Nancyk12
Nancyk12

I'm addicted! Can't stop going!

Posted on 10 / 18 / 2014

Great restaurant! Yummy foods! Awesome environment! Although this is mostly a vegetarian restaurant, there are also great vegan dishes available. My favorite is Budda's Delight. Such a great dish! Their vegan cakes are also amazing! Try the vegan raspberry lemonade cake. You won't regret it!

NellieAnger
NellieAnger

One of my favorite places

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2013

Wonderful options for vegans/vegetarians. Great environment, very relaxing! Yummy food, great staff.

Pros: Options Vegan, Relaxing, Wonderful Staff
Cons: Small place

charlcye
charlcye

Favorite - food, fun, friends

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2012

A favorite place to meet friends. Great atmosphere, interesting decor to gaze at while waiting for friends. Menu has lots of types of food with a focus on India food. Prices reasonable. Food quality Amazing. Smoothies are divine.
Parking across street in Office Depot parking lot then walk across street.

Pros: Amazing tasty food, Great food selection, Atmosphere
Healthy4life
Healthy4life

Yum-o!

Posted on 05 / 27 / 2012

I took mother and four friends here and they loved the food. I got a vegetarian meal turned into a vegan meal with no problem. (The options are limited). The nan bread does contain dairy so watch out if you are allergic to dairy like me. This is a hard place to eat if you have a gluten intolerance, bean allergy, soy allergy or wheat allergy. The corn tortillas are not gluten-free.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday December 27, 2011

Pros: Healthy, friendly staff, excellent food
Cons: noisy street, noisy music, small portions
HappyHerbivoreJunkie
HappyHerbivoreJunkie

Not allergy friendly

Posted on 05 / 27 / 2012

My vegetarian friends loves this restaurant. It has a very small selection of items they can make vegan. There are no options for people with soy allergies, or gluten intolerance. Beware, the corn-tortillas are not gluten-free they are mixed with white flour. I found out the hard way. All the wraps and nan breads are also made from wheat flour which contains gluten.

Pros: vegetarian
Cons: not allergy friendly, not gluten-free or soy-free, not all vegan
AfricanYogi
AfricanYogi

food ok/cheated me on my bill

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2012

I went there when visiting Dallas from Houston. I ordered my meal to go and gave a good tip. Before I got my order, I decided to add a drink and paid for it separately. When I got home, I saw that someone had charged an extra $5 to my credit card for the drink order! Since I was back in Houston, I didn't bother to take it up with them. But definitely won't be going back there again.

Geetam
Geetam

Cosmic chat

Posted on 06 / 22 / 2011

I live a minute from the Cosmic cafe. Pravin, the owner, is my friend. There is a convivial relaxed ambience there. The menu has clever, humorous new age names. The decorations from India take you away. I usually split the quesadilla with my hubby, and order a Samosa as an appetizer, each. We round it off with a beer, and it's perfect. Now that we're vegan, we'd ask for no cheese. They're very cool. I recommend it truly. You won't go wrong. They have music on weekends. Much fun!

Pros: Excellent food, healthy cuisine, good value, Friendly staff, a bit noisy, always fun!, Portions are healthy, good value
EssexBoy
EssexBoy

Food and service great. Questionable appearance.

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2011

The vegy burger I had here was really good. Staff where friendly and the service was very fast. The decoration and presentation of the cafe let's it down a bit, but then faux "ethnic" isn't my taste even when it's none well. Look past the questionable appearance and enjoy a good meal at very affordable price. Been vegy for over decade and had some really bad food around the world. For the food and service, Cosmic cafe should be praised for getting it very right.

Pros: food, service, price
Cons: appearance
crewumiami
crewumiami

Great food

Posted on 04 / 23 / 2011

First of all, this one place I visited frequently when I lived in the area, and I always go back when in town. Pretty much all there dishes can be made vegan, you just need to let them know. The staff and owner are great, though when it gets busy, you may be waiting a bit longer for the server to reach you, but the meal is worth the wait. They list which desserts are vegan and which are not and have a special dish every day!!! My favorite dishes are the samosas, but everything is great!!

Pros: excellent food, vegan options, friendly staff
Cons: slow when busy
The Ardent Vegan
The Ardent Vegan

Interesting Look, Good Eats

Posted on 01 / 01 / 2010

Overall I enjoyed the meal that I ate here. The menu seems a little intimidating at first because you are typically expecting Indian or Buddhist type food and it's actually a combination of different foods. They don't seem to adhere to most vegan's standards and it's troublesome if you want to order something along those lines because most of their menu is aimed at lacto-ovo vegetarians. Also, my girlfriend (at the time), who went with me, is from Nepal and she was very upset that everything about the establishment spoke Nepal/ Indian/ Buddhist and yet not of the menu items really reflected this fact. Overall, I think the food is pretty good and it can be an interesting place to take a date or have a fun night out with friends. Also, you might get entertained. The night that we went there was a young man (probably the owner's son) singing Beatles tunes to the sound of his accordian. Overall it was a meal worth remembering. And plus they have beer!

Pros: Interesting Atmosphere, Good Food, Multi-Cultural
Cons: Not Vegan, Not Authentic Indian, Small Dining Area
delilah71
delilah71

Just not really that good...

Posted on 10 / 22 / 2009

I was in Dallas for a conference and came here twice, because it was in walking distance from where I was staying and I did not have a rental car. Maybe I am too picky, or maybe I didn't order the right thing, but I just didn't really think there was anything too special about the food here. The first day I got the cosmic stir fry, which was incredibly greasy and came with a salad which was kind of blah. The second day I got the taco trinity after reading the reviews on here, and they were okay, but nothing great. The beans were undercooked, the salsa was bland, and their dishes come with white rice! I forgot to ask for brown rice, so if that's important to you, make sure you get it. I got chai with it, which was good - the real Indian kind; not too sweet, and I also got the mango cheesecake, which I do not believe was vegan, but was just kind of bland. Also, surprisingly, they have Splenda and Sweet and Low on the table. I just don't think they get it. The service was good, and the ambiance is cool, but if you're going for veg. food, this is not the place.

Pros: Good service, Cool ambiance, Books to read
Cons: Greasy food, Bland food
Carrie C. Reid
Carrie C. Reid

unaware of veggie items

Posted on 04 / 17 / 2009

The staff were unable to tell me if their cheese was vegetarian, also they did not even know what vegan sugar was, although they claim to have vegan desserts. This is frustrating that they did not use completely vegan items in vegan-listed. Food quality was average to good.

Pros: variety , good spices
Cons: expensive, crowded
vegan sunshine
vegan sunshine

delicious

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2008

Try the taco trinity, vegan cakes, and hibiscus tea.
Everything is wonderful. The dahl makes a delectable first course.

Pros: vegan cakes, atmosphere, large portions
Cons: parking, not 100% vegan
winston32
winston32

keep in mind

Posted on 07 / 07 / 2008

I would never recommend this place to a vegan. The owner himself is not even a vegetarian and therefore is not aware of what is or is not vegan. He also does not respect the vegan lifestyle so he gives little mind to what is or is not fully vegan. For example once I was told that the no bull burger was vegan, if ordered without the cheese, but when I asked what kind of patty they used I found out that it was a brand whose patties contained cheese.

I have also been told by several employees that the so called vegan cakes are not actually vegan at all.

You can't really depend on the service there to tell you what is and what is not vegan since it is not in their job description to check every label in the restaurant for animal byproducts therefore they might tell you something is vegan and later find out it is not.

I was also told once that the whipped topping was vegan, and then I asked to see the bottle, (I had been a vegan for a long time and was very interested in what company was making such a good product), when the bottle was brought to the table the first thing I see on the back is that it contained milk.

seriously. thats just bad business.

• sarawithoutanh sarawithoutanh

I totally respect where you're coming from. I've stressed over making sure that everything I eat is 100% vegan, but I have a hard time being too confrontational in restaurants. I recently read PETA's stance on this issue if you're interested:

jdame
jdame

Best Indian food in Dallas

Posted on 06 / 08 / 2008

I was just recently visiting the area and ate at this little cafe and would recommend this to anyone traveling through the area.

Pros: Selection, Price, Atmosphere
Veghead74
Veghead74

Love the food!

Posted on 03 / 02 / 2008

Everything is yummy: daal, nan bread, curries, pizza, salads, and more. Their chai tea is an enticing spicy blend that I would love to figure out how to make at home. They even have yummy vegan cakes here.

Pros: Excellent Food, Vegan Friendly, Nice Atmosphere
crunchygramz08
crunchygramz08

Cosmic Cafe = delish...

Posted on 05 / 23 / 2007

I decided to take my meat eating family to cosmic cafe for my birthday. I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to get my vegetarian fill on excellent food while my family was able to do the same. I definetly recommend going to this place. especially if there are omnivorous people that dont just want eat a salad. However, I dont recommend the ginger beer.

Pros: Atmosphere, groovy staff, Fantastic Food
Cons: expensive, small parking
Anisabellydance
Anisabellydance

I love Cosmic Cafe!

Posted on 12 / 14 / 2006

I eat here weekly - sometimes twice a week! I looove the Trinity Tacos and the dahl. They are always helpful in "vegan-izing" things if it has something on it that I don't eat. Everything I have ever had there has been tasty! They also serve beer and wine there.

Pros: tasty food, wine, beer
Cons: parking - not many spaces, sometimes loud if busy

Dear Owner and Manager of Cosmic Cafe: