Cornucopia Wholefoods

Open since 1986, this is a casual dining wholefood vegetarian restaurant that caters for a variety of tastes and diets: vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, sugar free, coeliac, and raw. The soups, salads, main courses, breads, and desserts are made in-house. Offers freshly pressed juices & beverages ranging from wheatgrass to organic wine and fairtrade coffee. Breakfast is served til noon. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Irish, Juice bar, Catering
19 Wicklow Street (Grafton St)
Dublin, Ireland Dublin 2
+353-01-6777583

Mon-Tue 8:30am-9:00pm, Wed-Sat 8:30am-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm(noon)-9:00pm

First Review by myboyfriendisdead
Michellelynne
Michellelynne

Beautiful and Delicious

4 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2014

We were only in Dublin for two days and had dinner here both nights. The food is amazing and the staff are so friendly. Highly recommended. Also, there is a beautiful upstairs dining area.

Pros: Raw, Vegan and vegetarian. All well signed., lovely atmosphere & decor
Tiggy
Tiggy

Not what I expected from such an established place

2 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2014

I've eaten here a few times since I've been visiting Dublin and on each occasion been underwhelmed. Hoping to get breakfast here on Sunday my partner and I arrived to find it wasn't served that day and so ordered the falafel plate with our choice of (potato and garlic) salad. We received a coffee cup full of hummus with one piece of pita bread (cut in two). Needless to say we had to go and request more bread (twice) at €1 a pop. I don't know who can eat that much hummus with such a low ratio of pita bread. My friend joined us later and ordered the soup, which he reported was salty. I think 'salty' is a key theme here. Last night we had dinner there and I ordered what looked to be a delicious filo parcel with a flavoured tofu filling. In fact the dominant flavour was just salt with little else except a slight acidic sharpness. My partner had ordered the pasta special with a tomato sauce which he immediately told me was too salty. I tried it and not only was it salty, it was also overly sweet. We took away three desserts to share with my friend, two of which were very disappointing, particularly the vegan passionfruit cheesecake whose topping looked nice and fruity but turned out to be a thin plasticky layer of yellow jelly. We did have one slightly more positive experience here when we managed to get breakfast. Feeling like something light I ordered the house toasted granola and, although overpriced (over €6) as cereal is in cafes, they had almost got the ratio of milk to cereal right, which is often an issue, as many places don't give you enough to keep it moist. My partner ordered scrambled tofu and said it was good. I ended up finishing the last of it and agreed that they had managed to get the flavouring right without going overboard on the tamari. There is a lot more to try here but so far I've not got a good impression of the quality.

Pros: Significant vegan options clearly marked
Cons: Overly salty food, Poorly proportioned hummus plate
FabianaMi
FabianaMi

Always delicious

5 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2014

I've eaten at Cornucopia about five times and every single time the food is fantastic. There's a large vegan selection as well as gluten free, vegetarian etc. The staff are generally very friendly. It usually very busy which is understandable as the foods always great and Dublin in general is lacking in vegetarian/vegan restaurants and cafes.

Pros: The food and the daily variety, The staff, The restaurant itself and atmosphere
Cons: Sometimes very busy (but understandable)

blackvaldaswan
blackvaldaswan

The best vegetarian place in Dublin

5 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2014

I am very lucky to work around the corner from Cornucopia and since I became a vegetarian I eat there at least 3 times a week. They have a great selection to cater for vegetarians, vegans and raw foodists. It can be a bit pricey for the main courses, but I find their salad bar a great value and it has a great selection.

I usually opt for a small salad, which costs only €4.95 and gives an option to choose from 3 salads. And it's really filling as they have a great choice of salads with sprouts, beans, chickpeas etc. Their raw food deal is a great option as well. I think that all the bread they sell is vegan as well and yummy. Plus they do amazing savory scones with different flavors each day.

There's a great choice of cakes and some of them are raw vegan. I really recommend to treat yourself with a cake from Cornucopia, I have never been disappointed, they might be a bit pricey, but totally worth the value.

The restaurant gets really busy and during lunch hours there might be long queues, but it's always worth the wait.

Pros: great food, great selection, excellent location, friendly staff
Cons: long queues, tables don't get cleaned fast enough
Vegan since 1990
Vegan since 1990

Fantastic Vegan Food

5 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2014

My spouse and I have been vegan for 23 and 24 years respectively. Our trip to Dublin was delightful because of Cornucopia. This is a wonderful place to eat. The food is scrumptious, the atmosphere is pretty, and the people who work there are extremely friendly and helpful. I had a cold wrap that was the most delicious wrap I have ever had. The desserts, and I am a dessert fanatic, were amazing. The poppy seed cake being out of this world. I also highly recommend the muffins and berry crumble. If you are a potato salad person, their vegan potato salad is also the best I have ever had--simply divine. Their coleslaw is awesome. We ended up eating there every day because when we find a restaurant that serves such wonderful vegan fare, we don't want to go anywhere else. Not only is the food delicious and nutritious, it is also reasonable. The portions are massive and there is no possible way to leave the restaurant hungry. It is also difficult to find a vegan breakfast, but Cornucopia has many options. I highly recommend it.

Pros: Amazing Vegan Food, Terrific Vegan Desserts, Friendly staff
Cons: Tables are not bussed quickly enough
mmichell
mmichell

Superb Food Prepared with Thought, Care, and Love

5 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2014

My partner and I have been vegan 24 and 23 years respectively, and on journeys toward veganism long before then. We travel widely throughout the US and internationally. We are at the end of a six-day visit to Dublin. Though we tried several other listings on Happy Cow and the Vegetarian Society of Ireland's veg/vegan dining in Ireland database (great source that we strongly recommend), we kept coming back to Cornucopia because of the quality of food (organic, imaginative conceptions, thoughtful and loving preparation), the warmth and spirit of the people (the owners, cooks, and servers were all lovely), and the great value (we are big eaters and always left full, sometimes with leftovers, and never having spent more than thirty euros). In fact, the restaurant's "loyalty card" paid for the most expensive dish in our last dinner, so the final bill was 9.95.

Before I list several of the food highlights for us, I want to encourage diners to read the story of the restaurant's beginnings from the introduction to the Cornucopia cookbook (they have an examination copy at the register). The McCafferty's embarked on a mission almost thirty years ago to "heal the world" (body and spirit) by doing their part to provide high quality food prepared with love, thought, and care. This is powerful, and for me it makes every Cornucopia bite meaningful.

What do we recommend you try? My partner loves desserts, and Cornucopia always has an assortment that includes several that are vegan. Try the poppyseed cake smothered in soy cream, or the chocolate raspberry silken torte with a dollop of soy yogurt, or the blueberry scone with soy margarine. I will carry away with me memories of the raw carrot and avocado chilled soup, the cole slaw, the garlicky potato salad, the smoked tofu and daikon wrap, the fillo "packets" with chipotle beans and TVP, the sprout salad... I will carry away memories of vegan breakfasts simply because it is so rare to find substantial vegan breakfasts.

Dublin is a great city and it is high on our list for a return visit, largely because we know that when we come back there is Cornucopia.

Pros: Quality of Food, Warmth and Spirit of People, Portion Size and Value
Cons: It can be busy (but for good reason), Some dishes sell out (get there early)
Pipsar6
Pipsar6
  • non-vegetarian

Busy Brunch

3 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2014

Visited Cornucopia with Veggie partner a couple of times for breakfast/brunch, whilst on a long weekend in Dublin.
Thought it was ok - busy on the weekend and quieter on the Monday... breakfast was ok but a bit dry...so beans next time too I think... Not the best veggie food I've eaten but satisfactory enough not to resist going back the 2nd time

Pros: Friendly staff, Clean venue
AnaVegan
AnaVegan

Cornucopia is my World

5 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2014

I am a fussy vegan and Cornucopia never fails to satisify my appetite!

Pros: Brilliant Location, Creative dishes, Excellent salads
Cons: Wish it was bigger!
losandy
losandy

Nice to go if you don't mind spending some quid

3 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2014

One of the best vegetarian food in town, the place looks very alternative. But the prices now are almost double of what it was 2 years ago...actually a bit too much, but you can make sure, yes they will make a big portion and no messing around.. ;)

Pros: Tasty portions., enough space when crowded.
Cons: Price too expencive, tables need to be clean a bit faster., need smaller choices by customer choice
jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Delicious vegan breakfast

5 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2013

It's been a long time since I've had a good vegan breakfast, so I was really excited to try this place. It did not disappoint! We went there around Christmas time, so they were serving buffet style where you could get 5 of their breakfast items for a fixed price. The staff were very helpful in identifying what was vegan (the online menu clearly identified the vegan items as well). We had tofu scramble, mushrooms, sausage, and spelt toast with vegan spread. It was all absolutely delicious and reasonably priced! Best vegan breakfast I've had in a very long time. I highly recommend this place.

Pros: vegan options, delicious breakfast, friendly staff
Pamina
Pamina

A bit stressful, but good!

4 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2013

Ordering at Cornucopia was a bit stressful because it was very, very crowded and so it was a bit hectic. We did not know how the system worked and so they had to explain it to us, and it all was very rushed due to the long line of people waiting behind us. Fortunately, we were able to get seats!
Having said this - we were happy to see a vegetarian place in the centre of a city like Dublin being so crowded at lunch time, visited by many different kinds people, not just the typical crowd you meet in some vegetarian places.

The meal we had ordered was huge. We had a soup, bread with spread, and different salads. The soup was very good, while the salads were a bit dry for my taste.

To sum up, I recommend visiting here - but maybe be early to avoid the crowds and be able to order without stress.

Pros: Great location, Plenty of choices for meals, Friendly staff and atmosphere
Cons: Very, very crowded
JonJon
JonJon

Nice place!

4 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2013

Cornucopia is an institution in Dublin, so I went there to discover it. The place is easy to find and practical when you visit the city center. The place was a little crowded when I came but I really enjoyed the meal even if it wasn't unbelievable in terms of taste. There are sufficient vegan choices and prices are fair.

Pros: vegan options, affordable, great location
Cons: sometimes crowded
Rochelle Fogg
Rochelle Fogg

Rich gourmet food

5 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

Really elegant, original food. What has eggs and dairy is marked, but there is a great vegan selection. Fabulous berry cobbler - not too sweet with unsweetened cream. Filo wrapped pockets. Variety of salads. I had an eggplant casserole with cashew gravy which was the most delicious entrée I have ever eaten. Large portions. Filtered water. We ate there three times while we were in Dublin, even though it is expensive.

Pros: Scrumptious, Great location, Unique
Cons: High calorie, Expensive, Crowded
anne2013
anne2013

Best Restaurant ever!

5 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2013

I have been eating in Corncopia for over 20 years - most amazing tasty food - fresh - raw - great variety - super friendly staff - and stunning new Georgian room open upstairs now :-D

Pros: Excellent food, Lovely friendly staff
jenly
jenly

Just echoing all the positive reviews . . .

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2013

Ate here with my family last night and we actually went back on line for seconds! After discovering tonight that Cafe Fresh had closed, we were going to eat here again tonight but the line was crazy and the place was packed and for us, travelling with kids, it was too much work. Other reviews have mentioned the negatives--very crowded, small narrow stairs to the second level, itty bitty single toilet, very long line because of the way the food is served. The entrees tend to be casserole type dishes, and it is a little pricey--these are New York prices, but then you realize it is a third more! We would happily go back if it wasn't so crowded, but seeing all the love for this restaurant makes me wonder why Dublin can't support more veg eateries.

Pros: delicious food, help yourself to filtered water, laid back atmosphere
Cons: long line , often very crowded, Dinner entrees are about 19 to 20 euros
Ms. Bella
Ms. Bella

a great and rare find, highly recommended

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

this is a casual atmosphere, in spite of the "chic" images on their website. The food is simply awesome, and the tastes are intense, interesting and very flavorful. The restaurant has an upscale appearance on the outside, in the trendy St. Stephens Green shopping and nightlife area. Inside, the menu is located on the blackboard, and hard to read from where I stood in line. You order from a buffet served by one of employees from the back of the house, all very clean and behind glass cases. There is a variety to choose from which for a meal includes the main entree and two side salads. There are soup choices which looked wonderful as well. The servings are very generous and filling. The quality and menu deliciously rare. The price is compatible with the quality and serving. I paid almost 17 euros (22 US) There was no tipping, and the atmosphere was a coffee club style with a duo folk singer and guitar player. Very relaxing. I went solo and did not feel out of place, since the place was filled with a variety of patrons, from all age groups, several solos sitting at tables reading, writing, drinking wine. I chose as my dinner the shepherds pie style (awesome) with two salads: one with beets and the other greek style. I had a delicious hot soy chai. Live music was played while I dined and patrons would politely clap after certain numbers. All in all a great evening of a satisfying meal and culture. Five stars, hands down, because of the pure veg menu and atmosphere.

Pros: Incredible food, delightful, friendly atmosphere, entertaining, too much to list
Cons: hard to read blackboard menu, no table service, buffet style
innermoonlight
innermoonlight

Delicious and great location

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2013

My partner and I visited Cornucopia on a weekday lunch time, after going to the Powerscourt centre looking for Cafe Fresh only to find it was closed. We love shopping on nearby Wicklow street so came here by accident but it was a great discovery!

The restaurant was fairly busy but we were able to get ample seating. We ordered a sweet potato and coconut soup with poppy seed bread, a medium salad for which you can pick 6 items (potato and mange tout in peanut dressing, bulgar wheat salad, daikon and cucumber, black sesame and carrot, curred chick pea and sweet potato, pesto pasta), 2 soft drinks and an oat and raspberry slice for about 20-25 euros.

The soup was nice but not extraordinary, however the mixed salad and oat slice were really delicious and I'd definitely order them again. I'm going to buy their cookbook in the hope that the potato salad recipe is in there!

All in all the atmosphere was nice, staff friendly, and food tasty, so I'd definitely visit often if I lived in the area. The prices were a little on the high side, but not unusual for Dublin and in my opinion worth it for such a varied range of healthy veg and vegan food.

Pros: Delicious salad plate, Varied Menu, Good raw selection
Cons: Moderately expensive, Seems to be quite busy
cocoholic
cocoholic

Excellent raw food

4 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

I was very happy to find a restaurant in Dublin that is actually serving raw food. I tried their raw deal which included a raw soup, main dish and a piece of raw chocolate. It was all very delicious, fresh and filling. I only didn't like the self service area which was very small, not in a good arrangement and you to queue for a while to get served. Their fresh juices were good as well. There is a health food store called "Nourish" just next to it that also sold some nice raw treats.

Pros: Tasty, Fresh, Moderate Prices
Cons: Queuing Time, People Are In The Way While Queuing For Food, Not Many Outdoor Seatings
robbie5050
robbie5050

Best In Dublin

5 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2013

How anyone can say the food is mediocre I have no idea. Yes it is expensive, all Dublin is overpriced but it this case it is worth every penny and you do get what you pay for.

Food changes daily , no fixed menu only the drinks stay the same.

Soups , sandwiches, salads all top notch and main courses are simply the best in Dublin

Always packed , morning, noon and night,.

They have taken over next door and upstairs as well.

Owner says she did not wish to open a 2nd branch as the quality could have slipped instead she waited years to get next door and upper floors.

Try it and you'll be back for more.

Pros: top quality food , top Staff, Daily Changing Menu
Cons: none really
LeonardoCorre
LeonardoCorre

Mediocre Food and Very Overpriced

2 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2013

I ate at Cornucopia on a Thursday Night. The restaurant was buzzing and I was very happy to see a wide variety of clearly labeled vegan options, even though it was a little confusing ordering there (it was my first time and they ask you while you're in line, so it was a bit rushed).

I had the Sweet Potato, Tofu, and Spinach Casserole, the Sweet Potato and Tofu Curry, the Potato Salad, Fruit Salad, and a Chocolate Fudge Cake Slice. My companion had the Parcel of Cauliflower, Squash, and Tofu, the Potato Salad, and the Banana Cake. This was all for 35 Euro.

The Bad: The casserole and curry were very bland and flavorless and poorly presented, just a bunch of glop on rice (which, honestly, would have been fine for less money). My companion's parcel looked great, but it was way too heavy on a licorice flavour (not sure if it was Anise or Tarragon, but it totally overwhelmed the dish).

The Banana cake didn't taste much like banana and was overly grainy textured.

The Good: The potato salad was actually pretty good for a vegan potato salad. The Chocolate Cake had a nice deep rich chocolate flavour from the icing, though the cake texture was overly dry and crumbly.

Overall: I wouldn't say the food was bad. It was okay and at least it was vegan, but was exceedingly mediocre and definitely overpriced for the quality received. I would recommend heading to , instead, Kathmandu Kitchen a few blocks away.

Pros: Many Vegan Options, Vegan Desserts, Healthy Food
Cons: Way Overpriced, Mediocre Quality
imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Incredible food!

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

When I first came in I almost didn't stay to eat because it is a little on the pricey side, but I decided to treat myself anyway and I'm so glad I did! I had a borlotti bean and squash filo pastry parcel with two salads, which was absolutely delicious. I would definitely come here anytime for a special meal out. The staff were really friendly and helpful, the menu was very clear and easy to see what was vegan, and the atmosphere was really calm and lovely. The majority of the menu was vegan, and I really do think the only way this place could be improved would be for it all to be vegan!

Pros: Fantastic food, almost all vegan, Lovely, friendly staff, Great atmosphere
Cons: Bit on the pricey side, still good value
mblz
mblz

I love Cornucopia!

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

During my stay in Dublin I've been to Cornucopia several times, tried lots of different things from their menu and all of it was REALLY good!

They have different main courses every day, A LOT of different salads ("classic" salads, but also couscous, garlic potatoes etc.), tasty cakes and delicious fresh juice.

They also have several different soups - a cheaper option to the main courses. The soup bowls may not look all that big at first, but they are quite filling :)

They have different signs for "vegan", "glutenfree", "raw" and other special diets on their menu. I loved how their signage is very detailed and easy to understand so you don't have to ask for further explanation. But in case you do need help the staff is also very friendly and helpful.

Even though the place can easily get a bit crowded (because it obviously is so popular) the atmosphere is always nice and comfortable.

All in all simply a great restaurant! I miss it a bit now that I'm back home...

Pros: diversified menu, friendly staff, nice atmosphere
Cons: can get a bit crowded
featherives
featherives

Yummy

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2013

When I find a restaurant I like, I go to it often. I've been to cornucopia all three days I've been in Dublin so far. It's got a large vegan menu and it seems to be expanding its vegan menu, possibly going all vegan one day. Lots of options. Big portions. Good desserts.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday May 28, 2013

Pros: price, service , portions
itsmeagain
itsmeagain

excellent

5 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2013

Went here 3 times lately, the breakfast was mouthwatering tofu on toast, flavoured so nicely that it waters my mouth just remembering it.Quite expensive, but the desserts, especially raw vegan cheesecakes, are out of this world. Try it for breakfast one day, you`ll love it. It is terribly busy and overcrowdwd at night. Toilets are small and down some narrow stairs, and so you find yourself passing waiters carrying pans etc whilst attempting to negotiate the stairs. How about more wheelchair friendly toilets please?

Pros: vegan food, tasty, varied
Cons: pricy., toilet access, crowds at night
NinaHerpertz
NinaHerpertz

Best so far in Dublin

5 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2013

First of all, I am not resident in Dublin and I have a hard time living in a hotel and depending on restaurants etc. Therefor this place was even more a relieve to me. I have been to several veg-friendly places in Dublin, mostly asian and after all I cannot eat asian food every week. I need more diversity, and cornucopia has it. Oh god, I didn't know what to take! I had choices. I was so happy to see diversity, totally different and innovative dishes for an affordable price. Nothing to unusual but still so unusual that you would be eager to try it. Another very positive thing was, that all dishes were clearly marked for each target group. V for vegan, gf for gluten free etc. It makes it really easy even when you have more than just one allergy or diet.

I love the option that you get the main dish with two sorts of salad. This makes the meal even more appealing.

The staff was so friendly, even with the huge amount of customer around and with several people in front of the queue, who didn't know exactly what to pick.
The food looked and tasted delicous. I is totally worth the price and I would recommend Cornucopia to everybody visting Dublin.

Just one more thing: I love baked goods. I love cakes/muffins/scones etc. and they have all of it. Vegan cake. A rarity found in only few places. I had one slice with soya cream

Pros: Innovative, delicious food, nice and friendly staff, every dish labled (veg, gluten free etc)
Cons: small tables, bad for larger groups
MlleFeline
MlleFeline

I'll be back ! :)

5 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2012

this place saved my week in Dublin - really good food, tastes like home-cooked! an amazing diversity of fresh salads, soups and main courses. almost all was vegan (except for the deserts, where 1/3 was vegan). cosy atmosphere and nice people! compared to Vienna, it seems expensive at first sight - but is very very normal for Dublin ! (12 Euros main course - huge portion!)

Pas dheure
Pas dheure

Cornucopia - Da Best !!

5 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2012

While visiting Dublin, Ireland last year we came across this AMAZING restaurant, the food Mmmmmmm absolutely delish, & the CAKES really the best Vegan cakes we have ever tasted in our lives !!!, go there , I guarrantee you will not be dissapointed !

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, Cakes to die for !
Toriay
Toriay

They know their soup.

3 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2012

Only got the main dish here once and it was so-so. The soup and salad combo is amazing however. The soup especially is great. The queueing is also a pain and it is difficult to read the menu; very confusing the first time!
Oh, and the bathrooms are not pleasent.
Certainly not the best veg cuisine in the world but probably the best in Dublin

Pros: Soup, salad, staff
Cons: toliets, quequeing
Richard Myers
Richard Myers

Good food and central

4 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2012

We had an evening meal and then breakfast here a couple of days later. The food is good and the place is certainly busy. The area for ordering the food is a bit congested and makes one feel rushed a bit. However, it was great to find a place that had vegan food.

Pros: Good food, Not too loud, Central location
davidyatesau
davidyatesau

Not Bad! Not fantastic

3 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2012

Normally when I see up to 4 happy cow ratings I get excited and probably have higher expectations than I should. This place is ok. I've been here three times in the last month, mostly out of convenience to its location.

Not bad but not brilliant. Can do better

lwe2405
lwe2405

Top veggie food in the heart of the city

5 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2012

It was so good we came back for more. The restaurant offers buffet-style food, much of which is vegan, with gf options as well. Great variety of food- verified by the fact that we came back the night after and the entire menu had changed! Colourful, flavoursome and super location. All very reasonably priced as well!

Pros: top food, good variety, centre of city
paulm
paulm

Outstanding!

5 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2012

On a visit to Dublin had more than one meal here - amazing quality and taste as witnessed by the difficulty finding somewhere to sit in the middle of the afternoon. What is really unusual is the fact that they can still remain current and not rest on their laurels after over 25 years in business unlike places I could mention in London.

Clafoutis
Clafoutis

Vegan haven

5 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2012

Over a weekend in Dublin we visited Cornucopia for three meals and an extra cake before we flew home! Cornucopia has lots of vegan options and we were spolit for choice. We tried the potato salad and vegan coleslaw, both delicious, three different hot soups, all tasty but sweet potato and mint the best, three other salads of chickpeas, barley and dakon, very fresh, and a chocolate torte and strawberry shortcake! Fairly busy, but understandable why, the staff were very helpful and fetched vegan spread for our bread. Reasonably priced, and just delicious. Will be returning soon!

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Freindly, helpful staff, Central location
mmm1220
mmm1220

Great Breakfast!

5 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2012

Made sure to have breakfast here and was not disappointed. Had Veggie Scramble, Sausage and Toast. Very tasty food with a friendly waitstaff. Perfect before a full day of sighteseeing. Wish we had made itt ack for dinner of lunch. Next trip:)

Pros: filling food, good portions, clean bathroom
CeleryJunkie
CeleryJunkie

Cornucopia Dublin Ireland

5 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2012

I've eaten in Cornucopia many times and I'm totally in love with the restaurant. There food is prepared beautifully and caters to all kinds of dietary requirements. They have a cookbook on sale which includes all the best recipes and a story of there business, I couldn't find a fault with them if I tried. Easily one of my favorite places to eat, relax in and to socialize in! All the staff and wonderfully friendly and helpful :)

Pros: Healthy, Vegetarian/vegan sutible, good prices
Tigra220
Tigra220

It was ok...

3 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2012

I was excited to visit Cornucopia after a year of planning my visit to Dublin. It was nicely busy when I arrived, but not too much so. There was live music playing, which gave it a nice vibe. I stood in the cafeteria-style line and ordered 1 of the 2 vegan entrees they had to offer that day. To my dismay, there were no vegan desserts. :( My food was mediocre and barely luke-warm. I wasn't thrilled with my experience. If I'm back in Dublin, I'd give them another try, since their menu changes daily, to see if I luck up next time.

Pros: easy to find
Dedicated Vegan
Dedicated Vegan

Don't miss this terrific restaurant!

5 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2012

This wonderful informal restaurant is a must for all vegetarian/vegan and meat eating visitors to Belfast who might be missing their soups and veggies while on vacation or just want a really good meal in a great part of downtown Dublin. Their red pepper/tomato soup is beautifully prepared as are all the salads and hot dishes. They offer fresh wheat grass or other juices for those of us who are very health aware and in the evening they offered live entertainment while we enjoyed our dinner. I traveled all over Ireland this summer and the food at Cornucopia was by far my favorite. If they were located in Toronto, the owner and her staff would be a huge hit. From what I could see, this restaurant is very popular with the Dublin and tourist crowd and I hope they continue to be a huge success.

Pros: Great food, Healthy, Great staff
veganmiss
veganmiss

Good Lunch

3 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2011

Cornucopia Wholefoods is a lunch type spot where they change their menu daily. It is located in a busy part shopping part of Dublin, just off of Grafton St. I chose the curry with two types of salads, a microgreens salad and a cabbage type salad. It was pretty good!

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/09/vegan-ireland.html

caperucitaverde
caperucitaverde

Amazing vegan food

5 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2011

This is my most favourite restaurant in the world (so far). Here you can get yummy, home-made like vegan food (they also have vegetarian). They also have some very interesting desserts (although a bit expensive). My favourites are the soups, the breads/scones, and they have some amazing main dishes that change everyday. The garlic potatoe salad (which I think is available everyday) is a must try in my opinion. If you go to Dublin and are vegan, do yourself a favor and eat here. The hard part is that, when you leave, you will be dreaming about this food. Really, trully amazing!

Pros: Amazing taste, Great variety, Awesome staff
Cons: Hard to find tables at times
andrea
andrea

YUMMY

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2011

The ladies at the health food shop recommended this for dinner. While it was cafeteria style service, the seating area was really nice, like a regular restaurant. Only about half the entrees were vegan, but the two we tried were really delicious. The soup is a bargain by Dublin standards, a big old bowl for eu4. The most exciting part was the Coconut Vanilla custard pie though. It was awesome! I think there were three vegan dessert selections, so pretty good.

Pros: sit-down area is really nice
davecorcra
davecorcra

Dublin's best veggie eatery and now twice the size

5 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2011

Though it's open for breakfasts and lunches, too, I can speak best of dinners at Cornucopia, which are always really flavourful and served up in generous portions. It's a simple and relaxed place - a cafe moreso than a restaurant where you step up to the counter and will have a choice of five or six main courses, with at least a couple of vegan options, plus ten salads - five regulars and five daily specials - again with vegans well-catered for (check the blackboards for details of exactly what's in each dish and what diets they're suited to). For 12.50 or 12.95, depending on your chosen main option, you'll get hearty portion served up onto your plate with the chance to choose two salads as accompaniment - many of them very substantial in their own right. Even if you arrive raging hungry, don't imagine you need anything else! Those with smaller appetites might prefer to stick with the salads alone.

Cornucopia is so popular that it can be busy at the counter and hard to see all the choices at times, but the staff are always very helpful and there's never any sense of pressure. Happily, a short while ago, the owners were able to take on the adjacent building to expand and it can now offer a lot more seating. This is still not always enough to avoid the need for customers to share tables at the very busiest points, but I've experienced this just once since the expansion and I'd consider myself a regular. Also new are later opening hours - extending to 22.30 on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays - often with a harpist playing gently in the background.

Cornucopia has a good commitment to using organic produce (again there's a blackboard setting out just what ingredients used are organic, including all their soy-based products, thereby ensuring they're GM-free).

Pros: Tasty and plentiful food, Great location, Helpful, committed staff
Cons: Can get busy
Blueberries
Blueberries

Very tasty vegan food

4 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2011

Cornucopia is extremely vegan-friendly canteen style whole-food vegetarian restaurant/cafe.

Don't let 'whole-food' put you off, the food here is seriously tasty! Usually hearty, flavourful curries and casseroles. The salads are also hearty, they have a really tasty home-made vegan mayonnaise that they use for their coleslaw.

Most of the desserts/cakes are vegan (which I never realised as the queue always blocks my view of the counter), and there is a good selection of teas, coffee and wine.

It's slightly pricey but the portion sizes are large.

Pros: Lots of choice for vegans, incl desserts, Does take-away, Central location and nice staff
Cons: Slightly pricey, Queue often blocks view of the food/menu
Eloi
Eloi

amazing food

4 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2011

Went to Dublin for a week and had food there almost every single day. They have some very good vegan options including desserts - the berry crumble is amazing ... it's just a pity that the place is so casual and not more like a restaurant... for example: when I'm over I would like to show my carnivorous friends how good vegan food can be and would like to take them out to dinner. But Cornucopia closes very early on some days and this canteen style in-eat-out atmosphere isn't the right thing for a nice dinner with friends

Pros: amazing food, canteen style so no waiting for the food, really convenient location
Cons: canteen style
KatyK
KatyK

So good!

5 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2010

I live in NYC and occasionally dream of flying to Dublin just to eat here :) Def the best veggie/vegan food in Dublin (and beyond). The vegan coleslaw is the best I've ever had...

Pros: good vegan food, good value
Cons: a little confusing to order at first
organic_lemon
organic_lemon

Dreaming of you.

5 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2010

So FINALLY I got to go to this restirant and was like, WOAH THIS HAVE FOOD LIKE THIS DUBLIN????? where have i been eating all this time!? can i just say BEST Garlic Mayo ever. Im not even one who likes mass amounts of mayo on my potato salad but soething was calling me to it, so they piled it up and i gobbled the whole thing. And THEN i scraped the leftover blobs of mayo with my fork and ate it plane. oh man it was good. Im gunna get so fat :). I also had some sort of fried thing, which was pretty good and a salad which had kinda a sweeter dressing. that one was alright. Again, with many resturants here, it seems like its a lot of money but i could split this with somebody easily (except, of course hogging the potato salad to myself)
Oh yeah, and also the staff was really friendly too!!! i didnt really know what to order and the woman helped me out a lot.

Pros: lots of vegan foods, MAYO (its vegan), they pile it on
Cons: there, are, none
VeganTex
VeganTex

Cornucopia

4 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2010

Great place!! The food was amazing and plenty of options for vegans. Easy walk from the temple bar district.

veggiegoth
veggiegoth

yummy!

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2010

came here for dinner and had the pasta special which was great. i loved the sauce. only bad thing is that they charge for the bread but it's ok. nice atmosphere and staff

Kaydee63
Kaydee63

5 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2010

I Love this place! I've gone there three times in one week. I'm working in Dublin for seven weeks (from Arizona) and Cornucopia has quickly become my favorite restaurant. The staff are incredibly cheerful and helpful, go-out-of-their-way nice. Each day there are hot dishes and salads and a host of baked goods. Plenty of vegan options. A hot meal with two salads costs 13 euros and is enough for two meals. (I pick up take-out containers while ordering.) There's a water bubbler if you want to drink just water with your meal. The place is so busy I don't recommend going during the busy lunch hour (hard to get a table then). Some nights they have live music, low key and not so loud you can't have a good conversation. Delicious food, comfortable setting, very reasonable price for the amount of food you get. Highly recommended.

Pros: Very helpful staff, Delicious food combinations, Comfortable setting
Cons: Hard to get a table at lunch hour
WildHeartedWoman
WildHeartedWoman

A very happy place!

5 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2010

This is the sort of restaurant that just fills me with joy to be sitting in. Just of Grafton street in the amazing city of Dublin, Cornucopia has a large menu with plenty of vegan options.
I am on a tight budget so was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to get much with the money I had, but I ordered 2 salads and a dessert (grand total just under 10 Euro), and the portions were very satisfying. The salads were interestign and beautifully seasoned, but the highlight was definitely the roulade I had with soya yoghurt for dessert. Absolutely heavenly. It was a very generous portion, but I never wanted it to end!

There's plenty of seating, and I went late (around 9pm) when there was live acoustic music and the atmosphere was extremely laid back and quite bohemian.

I can't wait to be back in Dublin, hopefully with a little more money, and sample some more dishes at Cornucopia!

Pros: Chilled out, Lots of options, Roulade!
Cons: Main courses a bit expensive for me
estefinparis
estefinparis

Really good

5 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2010

While in Dublin for a couple of days we tried out Cornucopia and it was so good that we HAD to eat there a second time during our stay. The place is really nice and the food is simply delicious. When we arrived the staff explained straight away how it works (self-service) and helped us find a table. We then picked our mains and two salads and were surprised by the huge amount of food served! The combination of colours and tastes made it very appetizing and somehow we managed to finish everything. On the menu when we were there: butterbean and brazil nut fillet with hot mash, onion gravy and seasonable vegs / ragout of fennel, roast peppers, butterbean and olives / broccoli quiche / fennel, lentil and cauliflower with mashed potatoes. Everything is clearly marked vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, wheat free... A great spot!

maryb
maryb

quick and tasty

4 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2010

had a good selection and the food i chose was really good. similar to govinda's, but atmosphere uch nicer!

wildfang
wildfang

Fresh and delicious food - what else do you need?

5 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2010

Cornucopia is always worth a visit. When I was living in Dublin, I spent a lot of money there because I enjoyed the food so much. There are an awful lot of vegan options, also desserts, the salads are amazing, and the soup simply excellent.They have raised their prices a little bit since 2005 - nowadays you would pay around 15€ for a main and a dessert or for a soup, bread, salad and a drink.

Pros: fresh food, friendly
dara
dara

Filling and Delicious!

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2009

Wonderful food served cafeteria-style in this bustling eatery! There were more vegetarian, than vegan, options, but vegans do have plenty of selection. I enjoyed the following vegan foods: schnitzel (very good), brown rice, chickpea salad, sprouts, and basil and pepper scone. They even gave me a vegan 'buttery' spread to accompany the scone, which was out of this world. The fruit-and-oat square for dessert was great, too. I am the type of diner who cleans my plate but even I could not finish the massive proportions one gets for lunch. For 12.50 Euro, this is by-far the most food you will get for your money. In addition to the value, the food is delicious!

Colinski
Colinski

Great vegetarian in Dublin

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2009

I dined here at lunchtime while visiting Dublin, and found a small, bustling restaurant. I don't recall exactly what I had but I remember it was all excellent and priced reasonably enough, and that many of the main dishes and salads offered were vegan. Would go back next time I'm in Dublin.

Pros: Tasty, Large portions, friendly staff
Cons: Cramped space, Busy
jamber79
jamber79

nice place

4 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2009

Right off Grafton street, so can stop in while shopping (or window shopping) on that street. Very small, limited seating, but seemed to be just enough at dinner time. Very limited choices on the menu, but the food was good. Service was very friendly and helpful.

Pros: food, service
Cons: prices, small size, not many food choices
Dilettante
Dilettante

Great place for casual meal, filling food

4 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2009

This is not a fancy place, and you'll probably have to share your table because it is tiny and always packed. The food is very hearty but quite good and there is a good range of things to choose from. It's a great place to refuel while shopping or touristing in city centre Dublin, especially on a cold or wet day. It's friendly and not too expensive (for Dublin!).

Pros: Good hearty food, Friendly, Good central location
Cons: Small and crowded
jasminetea
jasminetea

Hearty and wholesome

4 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2009

I definitely felt healthier after eating a meal here - but the servings were huge! I preferred the main hot dishes to the salad choices (they vary every day). There is a student-like atmosphere and the staff were very helpful in explaining the ordering 'procedure' (no table service; order at counter). Free water on tap and you will find many brochures for arts and music events.
It's also a little pricey - around 12 euro for a plate. But then Dublin was very expensive.

Pros: Hearty, Friendly
Cons: Not that cheap
fancy!
fancy!

I heart Cornucopia!

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2009

When I lived in Dublin some years back I ate here so often. As a vegan it was great that everything is labeled. There are different dishes each day so you can get a bit excited wondering what it'll be today!

It was a crowded place which is great! I loved the atmosphere. I did just read that they are expanding because they bought the place next door or something like that...so I'm sure now they will be roomier to accommodate all the fans.

The food is comforting, warm, delicious, healthy and hearty.
I truly love this place and recommend it to any vegetarian/vegan/healthy people. All of my friends (some not veggies) enjoyed the food here, too.

Portions are big for the price!

Pros: Good Value, healthy cuisine, delicious food
backpasher
backpasher

My favourite restaurant in Dublin

5 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2008

I really miss this place since leaving Dublin :(

I used to go at least once a week for lunch or dinner. It is always jammers with people, and you often end up sharing with strangers, but it's a friendly place, with nice staff, and amazingly yummy food.

I love their spanokopita and their garlic potato salad with hazelnuts is awesome.

I have heard rumours that they are expanding - fingers crossed as it would be nice to have a little more space.

For 10-11euro a plate, it's super value.

thisisroger
thisisroger

Love!

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2008

This place was so rad. So many great vegan options and so much food! I couldn't believe how big the portions were for the price. Sure it's hard to find a seat, but it's all part of the charm. I can't wait to go back someday!

Pros: large portions, excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: small dining area
  • Deirdre McCafferty Deirdre McCafferty

Hi Roger, thanks for the feedback on Cornucopia in Dublin. I'm the owner and it's great that you found it all so good. We have a website www.cornucopia.ie. Be well, Deirdre

anto
anto

good but pricey!

4 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2008

id say Cornucopia is the best option for vegetarian eating in Dublin. with nice nutritious healthy food on offer usually one hot option plus two cold (eg: salads) for the main meal. it can be abit pricey though and would be better if you could get a half plate abit like you can in Govindas that works out cheaper. it can be bit cramped in the restaurant with pressure on the seating area due to limited space. the staff are all sound and the atmosphere is good!

Pros: nutritious, healthy, tasty
Cons: pricey, cramped space
Stevie
Stevie

Cornucopia, Dublin

4 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2008

Cornucopia has had a lot of my business over the years. Very centrally located in Dublin city centre just off Grafton St and only a few mins walk from Temple Bar. This place is hugely popular and the chances are that you will have to share a table with someone who you don't know. I personally don't have an issue with this and have enjoyed the impromptu conversation that has occaisionally been struck up. If sharing a table is an issue for you there are plenty of other 100% veggie places nearby that you are probably better going to (there are plenty of other all veggie places within a few minutes walk).

Food on offer changes daily. The menu board is excellent in that there is clear labelling beside each dish to mark the diets that each dish is suitable for (eg vegan veggie, candida). A non veg*n girl I once went with still raves about this place. This place has down to earth decor, helpful staff and pleasant atmo. It's also now open 7 days a week (unlike most of the other all veggie places nearby). Decent sized portions of tasty food at a price in line with the going rate in Dublin.

I'm undecided whether to rate this place with a 4 or a 5 below.

Pros: Vegan veggie friendly, Clear labelling, Open 7 days
kamikazekid
kamikazekid

Good grub, cozy atmosphere

4 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2007

The food we had at Cornucopia was great and the prices reasonable. It was a bit of a challenge to find a table and ended up sharing ours with a lone diner but it wouldn't be enough to put me off eating there again. Really helpful staff (helped us out in finding a good pub with decent music!) and a good location to stop off for lunch when you're shopping too!

Pros: Good food, Good vegan options, Fairly priced
Cons: A bit cramped
jacqui
jacqui

Packed but food nice

3 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2007

Had an evening meal here - the place was completely packed! I found it quite expensive compared to most veggie places I visit. The main meals selection didn't appeal to my mate, but the portion size was good. We had a pasta dish with choice of 2 salads - unfortunately they'd run out of alot of stuff, so it was alot of lettuce!! The price of drinks is expensive, but there is water available. Its nice to find a veggie place in the city centre.

Pros: Portion size, location
Cons: Busy, ЈЈ
myboyfriendisdead
myboyfriendisdead

Great Food, Great Price!

4 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2007

I was quite amazed the amount of wonderful food I received for a great price. I paid 11 euro for a wholesome hot meal and two salads. The staff was nice and helpful. I do advise if you are not going alone to have one of your parties get a seat before you go up to get your food or you might not have one.

Dear Owner and Manager of Cornucopia Wholefoods: