Serves meat, veg options available. Mostly meat menu but has 3 veggie choices in sandwiches, plus salads. Dairy is used. Ecclectic and funky atmosphere. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, American, Pizza, Non-veg

First Review by Farmaroundthebend

Great vegan & vegetarian options!

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2014

I love this little local/independent spot in my hometown. There are several vegetarian options that can easily be veganized upon request.

I always get the Spinach Burger which is an untraditional housemade veggie burger jam packed with fresh flavors like garlic and basil and made of assorted veggies and chickpeas. Comes on a wheat bun with lettuce and tomato. Simply ask for it without the pesto mayo to make it vegan. There are at least 3 other veggie burger options and an eggplant sandwich. Tons of vegetarian entrees as well. The homemade chips are fantastic as well as the hummus.

The atmosphere is fun and very casual. Tons of desserts to try from, unfortunately none are vegan. Everything is very reasonably priced and comes in large portions.

Pros: Veg options, Fresh ingredients and flavor, Fun atmosphere
Cons: No vegan desserts, Nothing labeled as vegan

Great pizza, tamales, salads; eclectic funky atmosphere

4 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2013

Cootie Browns is a locally owned funky place with great food! Their pizzas are amazing and GF crust is available. We get ours vegan by omitting the cheese. The tamales are made in house and are vegan if you get the black bean (all other options are meat). Do NOT get the mole' sauce though- it contains beef broth. I recommend the Jamaican jerk sauce instead as it's vegan/vegetarian. Many other items on the menu are vegetarian- there are delicious in house made veggie burgers - black bean, sundried tomato & spinach...they're all fantastic! My only complaint is although there are so many vegan/vegetarian options on the menu- ordering your pizza without cheese usually illicits a raised eyebrow from the staff. They aren't very familiar with modifications and more than once I've had to send back my pizza because they put cheese on it despite my requests more than once- I will say that they have refunded the pizza price because of this though! Great bottled beer selection, fun patio seating that's heated in the winter, overall one of our very favorite Johnson City places to eat!

Pros: locally owned, great pizza (GF available) & tamales, delicious Jamaican jerk sauce
Cons: can be a little pricey, staff often not so nice

Dear Owner and Manager of Cootie Browns: