Cookies Cream

Veggie restaurant. A 3-course menu cost around 36 Euros. Price: Expensive more-less
Organic, Gourmet, German
Behrenstr. 55 (above the Cookies Club)
Berlin, Germany 10117
030-27492940
  • Reservations required

First Review by michelle_my_belle
SpyraSea
SpyraSea

Pricy, microscopic, delicious dishes & bad service

2 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2014

The idea of walking on back alleys to reach this hidden restaurant is a special experience on its own. The interior is very hipster. Food was delicious though microscopic portions, but having a 3-course meal was quite enough. The price of a 3-course meal was 39 eur. The service is completely not matching the restaurant’s high-end quality of food. Even though we had 3-course meals we were charged for meals separately thus resulting in a much higher total. This completely ruined the experience in the end and as no sincere apology followed we were left with the impression this was done on purpose.

Pros: Great venue, Delicious food
Cons: Vegan dishes not marked, small potrions, Bad service, Taking photos not allowed?!
vegetariandood
vegetariandood

Great dining, but bad value for your money

3 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2013

It was a nice experience to dine here once. Apart from the mixture of Berlin rotten building back alley meets fancy schmancy, the food itself is good. They have memorable flavor combinations, such as red cabbage salad with dark chocolate. The selection of wines is excellent. But the portions are microscopic a-la-novelle couisine. I am glad I went there with my guests in Berlin, but likely won't repeat it. All in all, bad cost/performance ratio.

Pros: Unique atmosphere, Remarkable flavor combinations
Cons: Bad value for your money, Microscopic portions
anna900
anna900

It's OK...but not worth the hype.

3 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2012

I had a main only, which was 20 Euros. It was a veganised version of a barley wrap and, to be honest, it tasted very nice indeed. Perfectly cooked and very well seasoned. But it really wasn't outstanding.
The restaurant is quite hard to find but they email you the directions when you book.
It was roasting hot with no air-con and I can't help but think that they were trying to get you to buy more drinks to cool down. We, too, fell foul to the 'bottle of water' tactic. A bottle of water is 6 Euros.
The waiter and waitresses were very friendly and knowledgeable so no complaints there.
If you want to wine and dine some clients in Berlin then I guess this is a good option. But for me, I've eaten in better places in Berlin, with nicer food and for a better rate.
I think it also need to clearly indicate which meals are vegan.

Pros: tasty, good service
Cons: could be better for vegans, yuppified
Jayness33
Jayness33

finding the restaurant is hard! but so worth it..

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2012

Go down the lane way to the right of the opera building. Follow it to the right (no option) and then to the left (again no option). At this point if you're like me you're probably thinking wtf! Continue just a little bit more and it's on the right hand side. When you get inside you have to go up two flights of stairs to get to the restaurant (through the bar).

The food is amazing, exquisite quality. They really have worked hard on these recipes and it shows.

The venue is modern white minimalist. A bit like the white box from Absolutely Fabulous. :-)

Enjoy!!

Pros: delicious, upmarket , great venue
Cons: really hard to find, when you get there it's still hard to get to the r
CharlotteHamilton
CharlotteHamilton

Great food, nice wine, pleasant atmosphere

5 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2011

Last night, four of us ventured out to have our first meal at Cookies Cream. Only two of us are vegetarians, but all of us enjoyed the dishes immensely- their taste as well as their presentation. I've been a vegetarian with an interest in wholefoods for over 25 years and it doesn't happen often that I'm surprised or particularly impressed by a restaurant meal! The atmosphere was also a definite plus and the obscure location added a bit of fun to the occasion. The price (32 Euros for 3 courses) seems entirely appropriate. Only downside: the stools! One of us had to be a martyr while the other three were more than comfortable on our corner bench...

Pros: excellent, light, imaginative food , pleasant atmosphere
Cons: stools

Take It Back
Take It Back

Best veggie restaurant in Berlin...by far!

5 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2011

I'll keep it simple: cool, great, and awesome! Great location, great service, friendy staff, great food. And I don't get how anyone can complain about their prices, because they are cheap for what Cookies Cream serves. Been there many times, and many times will follow. Best veggie place in Berlin.

Pros: great location, great staff, great food
Cons: none
tumbleweed67
tumbleweed67

Are we in the right place?

3 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2010

I'm glad I did have a look at their website or we would not have found it... Although this may be part of their "branding", the back alley theme didn't appeal to us. Food though was absolutely stunning, service was good/friendly.

When we were there, the place was packed and hot (no aircon). If you enjoy an upscale (aka expensive) trash fine dining experience, this may be the place for you...

Pros: Food, Food, Food
Cons: Location, Theme
kwanza
kwanza

Nice restaurant but not great for vegans

3 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2010

Very upmarket restaurant with a nice ambience. All dishes were tasty and immaculately presented. However, my two main issues are that (i) vegans are not well catered for, and (ii) I wasn't particularly full even after a three-course dinner.

It's also quite tricky to find! Once on Behrenstraße, turn right immediately after the 'Umlauf' hairdresser, and then right again into an underground passage. You need to ring the bell to get in.

Pros: Ambience, Trendy
Cons: Not vegan-friendly, ЈЈЈ
Nicolas
Nicolas

Overrated

2 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2010

Our first experience in Berlin set very high standards, unfortunately Mano Verde was closed because it is moving in a more central place.
It took us ages to locate the place in the freezing snowy streets of Berlin which made the path to it a bit special, still charming.
First we were offered water upon arrival and we soon understood tap water wasn't an option, and obviously we were expected to order wine straight after. Too bad we don't drink alcohol.
The place is on the first floor on top of a club. Music is loud, place is dark, stools not very comfortable and most of visitors high-profile upper-class people.

Food now. Very experimental, still we weren't convinced by what's in the plate.
Expect 32€ for a 3 course menu, unless you chose one out of 3 choices which is an extra 3€... Anyway, when you can offer a 6€ still water 0,75l bottle of water, you can pay 35€ by person for a 3 course menu with tiny portions.

Call it gastronomic, I call it trendily overrated.

Pros: Food experience, Open kitchen, Special
Cons: Confort, Incitation, Service
WeyHey09
WeyHey09

Best vegetarian restaurant in the world.

5 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2009

Have eaten at Cookies three times and loved it. In fact the food was so good I nearly cried. No joke. My taste buds were dancing and crying with joy. No horrible mock meats here. Unfortunately the prices have gone up (now 32e for 3 courses) and the customer service, quality and portion sizes down a bit since my first visit a few months ago but the restaurant still rates as fantastic value for out of this world food. How the chef comes up with such amazing and interesting dishes with such first class presentation is an art in itself. Parmesan Dumplings (which they told me where made with a vegetarian rennet style parmesan but double check) with Amalfi-lemon sauce and cilantro carrots which melt in your mouth. Staff ranged from outstanding (French speaking waiter) to chilled out, The venue is lovely as long as you get a corner table as sitting on stool/cube for the whole meal is hard work on your back.

The only other restaurant to come close to Cookies is the very expensive Cafe Paridiso in Cork, Ireland.

(Check out http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2014/2447764987_a641e2cef5.jpg for photo of one of their meals)

Pros: Out of this world food., Difficult to find venue, Fairly priced (compared to other cities)
Cons: Expensive water, Sitting on uncomfortable stools/cubes, Difficult to find venue
o0Carolyn0o
o0Carolyn0o

wow

5 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2009

wow, wow, wow. i am so happy that i looked up vegetarian restaurants before i flew of to berlin, because otherwise i would never have found this hidden gem. i decided on a whim to go visit my boyfriend in germany for a week, and dining here on my last night in berlin really summed up a magical week. i loved the obscure path to get there. and the vibe inside was really cool...the waiter was very nice and friendly, and spoke english very well. ah, the food...take note that there are no salt and pepper shakers on the table, because there is no need. everything is so delicately flavoured so that you savour every morsel. i went beyond my wildest expectations. i love the veggie cafes and bistros, but i'm so happy to have found a place like this that offers such a fine haute cuisine dining experience. it is a bit pricy, but worth every penny and more, so i can't even put the price as a con. if you order a couple of drinks, expect to pay 50euro/person...28euro is the bare minimum for food...in germany you never get free water, so at the very least expect to pay 35euro. i thought i was cheap giving a 10euro note as tip for a 98euro bill and was confused when the waiter looked so happy, but my boyfriend later explained that tipping is quite different from here in north america, but that's beside the point hehe. my boyfriend is not a vegetarian and has a very huge appetite, and even so said that it is the best restaurant that he's been to, which says a lot given that the portions for each course a small, but so delicious that you leave completely satisfied. yumm!! the only con is the smoking...

Pros: chic, yet unpretentious, friendly staff, unbelievable flavours
Cons: smoking
jekter
jekter

Fantastic

5 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2009

If you are go to Berlin, seek out and go to Cookies Cream. I discovered this restaurant through HappyCow while leaving we decided to come back the next night and made reservations.

The experience was amazing.

Pros: excellent food , beautiful presentation
Jade n Lucy
Jade n Lucy

Wonderful restaurant

5 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2008

I can highly recommend Cookies Cream, I was there last Saturday. The food was well thought out and beautifully presented. The staff were friendly and chic and the whole experience was quite Avant-garde.

On the menu there was a choice of 5 starters, 5 main courses and 3 desserts. Everything was new and exciting and fresh. You won't have seen anything on this menu before. Everything we had was bursting with flavour. In my experience, this is the sort of vegetarian food that can be so hard to find. It's a little bit special. My only complaint was that I wanted to try everything!

The place itself is quite hard to find but don't let this put you off. It's well worth the effort. You need to go down a short lane-way off the main street (Behrenstr) and at the end turn right and then left (passing bins along the way). There are some steps up to the doorway and a bell you must ring so you can be buzzed in.

My partner and I discussed whether we should give the restaurant a 4 or 5 star rating. While there is a small amount of room for improvement, within this price range (€28 for 3 courses) the food was exceptionally good so I'm giving it a 5.

If I am ever in Berlin again I will definitely go to Cookies Cream again. It's a hidden gem.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed. Book in advance!

Pros: Innovative food, Avant-garde style, great value and delicious
Cons: quite hard to find
rudi reeves
rudi reeves

An absolute MUST if you are in Berlin

5 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2008

Cookies may be a challenge to locate, but you will be well rewarded. It reflects perfectly the new Berlin - edgy, cool, friendly, great service - and the most wonderful gourmet vegetarian food! When we visited in October 2008, our plane was late and the wonderful staff kept the restaurant open just for us! So, whilst it is difficult to talk about ambience, the decor was really funky (there is a club here on a Tuesday and Thursday evening) and the staff a delight. But nothing could prepare us for the quality of the food. An 'amuse bouche' followed by three courses, but all perfectly proportioned so we didn't feel over-full. The ideas were wonderful - recall quite fondly the parmesan dumplings - and the presentation world class. Enjoy!

Pros: Food, Staff, Surroundings
Cons: hard to find
michelle_my_belle
michelle_my_belle

so much fun!

4 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2008

the food is wonderful! the place is hidden quite well, which makes it all the more fun to find. the final bill is a bit steep, but worth it on a special occasion or just a good night out.

Pros: selection, taste, atmosphere
Cons: hidden, price, cold draft

Dear Owner and Manager of Cookies Cream: