Comet Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Coffee shop, restaurant, and bar. The booth and counter seating is reminiscent of an old-school diner. Extensive vegan offerings clearly marked on the menu, includes meatloaf, reuben sandwich, gyro, compact veganturkey dinner, vegan mac and cheese, vegan breakfast, vegan baked goods. Much of the menu, which consists mainly of comfort food items, can be made vegan upon request. The atmosphere is hip and laid back. Their specialty is making food from scratch. A place where omnivores and herbivores can eat together. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by SynthVegan
Rambling Vegans
Rambling Vegans

Mixed Experiences Here

3 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2014

We've been to Comet quite a few times and while the food is always good, we almost always have to wait quite a while for a table. The service can be really good or very poor, as well. In our opinion, it's not worth the wait when there are so many other places in Milwaukee that have great vegan food.

As far as the food goes, we do love everything we've ever had there. The vegan gyro and vegan burgers are our favorites. They always have some vegan cupcakes and pies from Honeypie and have the best side salad we've ever had. Go for the food but be prepared to wait for a long time and possibly get poor service and/or a table that's near where everyone is waiting for a table (which means you'll have people pretty much standing right over you the entire time you're dining).

Pros: Excellent Food
Cons: Service Isn't Consistent, Often a long wait for a table, Parking can be hard to find.
slap.ahah
slap.ahah

• herbivore

Fantastic diner/cafe/bar with some grvegan options

4 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2014

Fantastic diner/cafe/bar with some vegan options. While the # of options is somewhat limited the quality of the food is fantastic. Pancakes were 2 of the largest fluffiest pancakes I have ever seen, with side of 1/4 cup of vegan butter. Wife got chilaquiles, a new special, and they were asking her about how to make it even better for vegans (it was great to begin with). Yet the highlight was the service - super friendly, fast, vegan-knowledgeable, accommodating. Price was extremely reasonable. Wish it were in Chicago!!

Pros: Extremely vegan friendly, Amazing service, Huge delicious portions
Cons: Not 100% vegan, Not in Chicago
XVeganSxeX
XVeganSxeX

good breakfast!

4 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2014

My band was playing a show in Milwaukee and we went here for breakfast. I had the tofu scramble with some kind of mock meat loaf. It was really good and even my non veg friends were eating off my plate. My only complaint was the "loaf" was a little too salty. There was also a cool little rice card store around the corner.

Pros: cool setting, friendly service
kdub
kdub

tasty options

4 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2011

We went to Comet Cafe the first time for my husband's birthday and we loved it! As others have mentioned, the menu is very vegan-friendly. Everything is clearly marked, which makes ordering very simple. I had the vegan gyro (YUM!) and my husband had the seitan philly cheeze steak. We also ordered a piece of apple pie to go. Their brunch menu looks great and we hope to stop again soon!

SarahElizabeth
SarahElizabeth

Great food for vegans and omni-friends!

4 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2011

Delish vegan mac and cheese, friendly wait staff and a laid back atmosphere. Much of the menu can be made vegan per your request (all options are labeled as such). In a cute little neighborhood if you are just in town to visit. Omni-friends enjoyed burgers and gave two thumbs up for those too.

vegannature
vegannature

Great Place, Other than all the bacon

4 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2010

We love eating here because they have quite a few vegan options (not limited at all like someone else said) and most of the vegan choices are very good. The atomosphere is quite casual and relaxed, the prices are reasonable and while most of the food isn't the healthiest, there still are options to eat relatively healthy. Our only complaint is with the obscene amount of bacon they serve, but then again, unless if a restaurant is vegetarian or vegan, there's always way too much meat served in general.

Pros: good food, friendly & relaxed atmosphere, decent prices
Cons: noisy during busy times, too long of a wait when it's busy, too much bacon
keevegan
keevegan

How can a place so obsessed with bacon be veggie?

1 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2010

So this is Milwaukee, and while there are not a whole lot of options for vegans/vegetarians,I feel people are overenthusiastic about the "quality" of their limited options. Comet Cafe and others like Palomino and now Honey Pie are all meat centric hip restaurants that have a minimal veg offering amidst free bacon Sundays. Annoying for sure, but if they had good food I would still eat here. However, I have been continually disappointed with every thing I have encountered here. Their brunch nor dinner make no claims of keeping grills/fryers separate (which is most of the menu) and their tofu scramble tastes to me like mashed tofu covered in Turmeric to make it yellow. Their open "meatloaf" sandwich produced by field roast, is in my opinion the best bet at a vegetarian meal of any flavor. If you are passing through and have never seen hipsters before-maybe stop in for a cup of coffee or a drink, after finding your meal elsewhere.

Pros: has "veg" options, very hip
Cons: bad food!, crowded by assholes, meat centric
andreab0421
andreab0421

Comet Cafe

4 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2010

Visited Comet Cafe for brunch and it was awesome! I had the vegan breakfast burrito and I recommend it to everybody- even my fully meat eating friend loved it! Most of their menu items can be made vegan and the restaurant has a nice vibe. It is small and quite busy- considering it was Saturday morning that was expected though, and we got a table quite quickly.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, quick service
Cons: small
tdawg
tdawg

Vegan Meatloaf

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

The open face vegan meatloaf sandwich is yummy! There are So many vegan options (many items on the menu have the jumping bunny which signifies it can be made vegan) and they even sport a daily VEGAN dessert or two. Great atmosphere and excellent location. Good selection of drinks and beers to go with the food too. These folks know how to do right with vegans between the Comet, the Palomino and the Fuel Cafe. We are happy to have them.

Pros: Plentiful Portions, Excellent Food, Great value
Cons: Busy all the time!
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Great Vegan Options!!!

4 Posted on 10 / 15 / 2007

OMG! I was extremely happy to go into a restaurant during breakfast with more options than hash browns and fruit! Here I had scrambled tofu with "meat" crumbles, awesome hash browns, toast, and much more! I will definitely eat at this restaurant when I visit Milwaukee again!

Pros: Excellent Scrambled Tofu!, Nice Staff!

Dear Owner and Manager of Comet Cafe: