Tofu and faux meat type dishes, lightly steamed vegetables. Popular among locals who come for the veggie lunch. In the city center but slightly difficult to find as it's in the 2nd backyard. Reported still open, Nov 2014. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Vietnamese, Take-out, Beer/Wine
79 A Tran Hung Dao, Hoan Kiem (Quang Trung)
Hanoi, Vietnam

Floyd205
Floyd205

Good Value for Money

Posted on 11 / 17 / 2014

Buddhist monks eat here. We had rice with 10 flavours, Tofu with curry and mock beef with pineapple. They have fresh juices as well.

Pros: English/french menu
MateuszSerafin
MateuszSerafin
  • non-vegetarian

Awful food

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2014

I went there with my girlfriend after couple of very good vegan/vegan-friendly places in Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi.

I cannot express how we were dissappointed but here's the list:

- my food was cold (clearly it was microwaved),
- some of the vegetables were uncooked,
- soup was too salty,
- my girlfriend got salad with cucumber that was sore (maybe too young?)
- her "sweet potato" was orinardy potato in some kind of sugar coating, also cold,
- staff couldn't speak english

Overall we have not finished our meal and it was 200 000 VND spent in the worst way. Too bad.

Vegreg
Vegreg

Neither good nor bad

Posted on 03 / 22 / 2014

I had dinner there today, and had the VND80,000 ($4) set menu (many menus to choose from, ranging from 60k to 120k). It wasn't too bad, but not memorable either. Although it's true that everything fits on one plate, it's a large one, so the total amount of food was just right I think (you get a big portion of rice). It's a bit pricey, but understandable given the upmarket neighbourhood and the setting and service you get. Overall it's a "so-so" place, which will not be remembered in one way or another. I am not unhappy with my meal, but I wouldn't go back. There are better and cheaper places elsewhere.

Zambezikid
Zambezikid

Pretty tasteless

Posted on 01 / 10 / 2014

A good range of dihes on offer but the ones I chose were definitely pretty bland.

I chose one of the set meals with about 7 dishes in it. I can't say I thought any of them were very good.

And the portions were very small - all 7 dishes fitted on just 1 plate - a bit of a rip-off TBH.

And it's a bit pricey.

Pros: Good choices, Very small portions
Cons: Bland food, On the pricey side
HappyVeganTraveler
HappyVeganTraveler

Unbelievably bland food

Posted on 09 / 22 / 2013

After two days of really excelled vegan food in Hanoi, we had a surprisingly disappointing night at Com Chay Nang Tam. Reading the largely favorable reviews on HappyCow, we took a cab there and ordered a few dishes - two types of spring rolls, veggie chicken, tofu, and bamboo shoot soup.

Unlike the other restaurants we went to (like Truc Lam Trai and May Trang - White Cloud), where the first dish took at least 30 minutes to cook, the food came in less than 10 minutes. Guess what the reason is? Com Chay Nang Tam quickly put together a few tasteless dishes.

The soup came with a very mild broth that was devoid of flavor. The veggie chicken was just that - cooked wheat gluten - and the fried tofu was again just that - fried tofu without anything at all. We had force ourselves to finish the food.

Would not recommend this restaurant at all unless you like bland food.

Cons: Very bland food
  • veganvirtues veganvirtues

Hi I have been a vegan for over 20 yrs. I have been living in Ha Noi for over 5 years, so am extremely concerned for my vegan health. I had read your reviews and some of the other negative reviews. I rate this place and Bo De Tam the two best eateries for its price and Quan Thanh as a cheaper place. Nang Tam is way above the Loving Huts for service and quality of food. How you posters comment on blandness and ordinary strikes me as some b/s. This place is always busy. If the food was so crappy why is it so busy everyday? White Cloud the three times I had eaten there was disappointing service was terrible waiting over 15 mins for a dish that is a joke and the food was ordinary each time I dined there were less than 6 ppl already DY eating there, anyway they wont get my money they had three chance to improve themselves. I wont even say it was a bad day u went to NT as I have dined in that place many times over my years of living in Ha Noi and never had a bad serve. Their spring vegetables which I also was eat is crunchy (has a bone we say in cooking to bite)if its too hard ppl obviously need to ask to mash it for them. Tasteless, I dislike msg and salt in my food, I like the natural seasoning of the food. I think many ppl are addicted to sugar and salt. As a long time vegan I dislike 'mock' meats, why would you eat something that tastes like a dead corpse,haven't you moved on?

veganskinhead
veganskinhead

Excellent place to eat.

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2013

It's a hard place to find if you miss the large sign on the street with the restaurant name displayed prominently, as I did. I should stop looking at the scooters. Once I'd realised that I'd walked straight past it, it was pretty obvious to locate.

I ordered one of the set menus (3b), which came with a selection of mock meats, tofu, a soup and some vegetables. I'm not usually one for mock meats, but if it were all like this, I could be swayed. Different textures and flavours that I've never experienced at home with mock products. I'd also never read about the Buddhist principle behind it before either.

I'll be back, for sure.

Pros: Friendly staff, Excellent quality
bkkguy
bkkguy

We Love This Place

Posted on 05 / 17 / 2013

We went there today and had the set menu for 60,000 VND (under $3). Great value for what you get. Food was tasty and well presented. We'll be going back here regularly. There are two dining rooms, and someone below mentioned that foreigners and locals are use different rooms. That's definitely not true.
Updated from previous review on Friday May 17, 2013

The opening times above are wrong. It's actually open 09:00-21:30.

Pros: Excellent Food, Reasonable Prices, Friendly Staff
Kalorienbombe
Kalorienbombe

Good food, nice restaurant

Posted on 05 / 12 / 2013

We went to this restaurant 5 times during our week in Hanoi. Mainly because we didn't find any of the others listed on Happy Cow. It can be a bit pricey depending on what you eat. If you just have a noodle soup, that's good and cheap. Everthing is nice and fresh. The set menus are between 60000 and 120000 Dong. They're good and come with a soup but i feel they could put a bit more vegetables in them. If you're 2 people or more, I would recommend ordering one Protein dish and one Vegetable dish with rice. Or more if you want.
Some things I recommend are the Sauteed Catfish, Caramel Pork, Grilled Eggplant and the 12 Sauteed Vegetables.
We also had fresh springrolls. They were good but the ricepaper was a bit dry and the amount of fresh herbs in them might be a bit overwhelming for some people.

Watch out pineapple haters! They use it alot

The Restaurant itself is nice and comfortable. It's located down an alleyway with a sign on the main road. Walk on the side of the restaurant (on the right if heading eastwards) because you might not see the sign from the other side of the road.

Oh, and one review say's there are seperate dining rooms for foreigers and locals. It's not true. There are two rooms but no seperation. Must have been a coincidence for the person who wrote that review, that the locals were in one room and the foreigners in another.

BradenPollock
BradenPollock

Outstanding!

Posted on 03 / 09 / 2013

One of the best meals we had in Hanoi. We were served quickly. The food was all very fresh and flavorful. Try the banana flower pineapple salad and the minced mushroom. The mock bbq pork and the ginger chicken were also good. (see pics). Little English spoken. Wet-nap charge of 2000 Dong ($.10) per person. We had 6 items for a total of about $10. Down an alley. Seating for a ton of people.

Pros: Inexpensive, Flavorful, Clean place / friendly service
Cons: none
yourfacehxc
yourfacehxc

Bland and boring

Posted on 03 / 03 / 2013

Cannot imagine what anyone would find redeeming about the food here. Each dish my friend and I had was incredibly bland and boring, lacking any dynamic or flavor. I had the sweet potato fritters and beef with mushrooms while my friend picked from the prix fix menu. There literally wasn't a single thing we ate that wasn't totally impotent. If this is one of the best veggie restaurants in Hanoi, I cannot begin to imagine how bad the worst ones are. AVOID.

Pros: Location
Cons: Bland food, Overpriced, Boring
greenvk
greenvk

Great Food

Posted on 02 / 01 / 2013

A very nice place. Very clean, good menu selection and moderate pricing. Friendly staff who speak ok English. the map location is very wrong, but the written street address is correct

Pros: Clean, Nice Food, Ok Pricing
pinkpineapples
pinkpineapples

Amazing food

Posted on 10 / 22 / 2012

Great menu, loads of choices and even vegan desserts ( delicious banana chocolate crepe). The staff are helpful and there are great set menus to pick from. As a hanoian I can tell you this is my favourite veggie place by far!

Pros: vegan food, good service
Jazzfish
Jazzfish
  • non-vegetarian

Pretty good vegetarian food

Posted on 06 / 10 / 2012

This place is located a short way down an alley, but is easy to find. The restaurant is set up comfortably, but not fancy. It is very well lit. The menu contains a wide variety of items and some set meals. I ordered a green mango salad to start, but they were out of it. I then order grilled pork, stuffed tomato, and stir-fried mustard greens. The mustard greens were actually bok choy, which was tasty. Although, if they are out of an item I prefer they tell me rather than try to pass off another vegetable. The grilled pork was a fake meat item. It was easy to eat, but rather bland without soy sauce. The stuffed tomato was excellent, however. I could have eaten another one of those. I would come back here again to try some other items, but I don't think I will be rushing back. I thought the food was reasonable priced. The staff were very friendly.

Pros: Variety, Friendly, Clean
Cons: Bland pork , out of items
baklavabaklava
baklavabaklava

semi-upscale & bland

Posted on 04 / 14 / 2012

Contrary to other reviewers, I didn't find this place hard to locate at all-- there is a huge lit sign in front of it and banners in English and French.

There appeared to be two dining rooms, one for locals and one for foreigners, which was a little odd.

They have set menus starting at 50,000d, and a la carte things as well. The food was incredibly bland and the portions not especially generous. The interior has the generic ambience of anywhere in the world and the bland and lifeless food doesn't give you any idea that you might be in, say, Vietnam.

They have a bunch of bottles of wine on a rack there that some Europeans were delighted upon finding.

Service was friendly and quick, but the food was so cardboard-like and the price so high for cardboard that I won't be back. Ah well

Pros: Location location location, Hours!
Cons: Somewhat expensive, Bland food, Sterile and generic environment
westcornersville
westcornersville

Great Set Meals

Posted on 02 / 25 / 2012

I liked this place a lot. They have good set meals ranging from 50000 to 100000 dong per person and you get 2-3 main dishes (1/2 portions), soup, rice and a side dish. It allows you to try several things. They also have a la carte itmes. I see some previous reviewers had bad service, but I thought the service was fine when I went for lunch. One important note--the linked map on this site is wrong, though this is easy to find on a map as Tran Hung Dao Street is a major street (and it's within walking distance of Hoan Kiem Lake)--once you're at 79 Tran Hung Dao, walk towards the back of the lot and after 10 meters or so take a left and then a right (there are signs).

Pros: good set meals, tasty, good variety
Cons: could have longer hours
Pitaya
Pitaya

Cheap and popular local place

Posted on 01 / 10 / 2012

Not the easiest place to find - you have to go deep into the inner yard to find the restaurant. Seems to be really popular among both locals and foreigners, at least in lunch-time. I recommend you to take set menus that are really cheap and you get in one plate taste of many different dishes. Menu consists of different types of Vietnamese dishes as vegetarian (mostly vegan) versions. Food was tasty. In menu the Buddhist principles of offering mock meat dishes is interestingly explained.

Pros: Tasty local food, Cheap, Local colour
Cons: Bit difficult to find
Straight On
Straight On

Avoid

Posted on 01 / 03 / 2012

Greasy food and staff that try rush you out the door when the clock strikes 9:30 (or whatever time it closes).

Cons: Bad food
Chia
Chia

Look for it

Posted on 01 / 01 / 2012

Was here on a past trip to Vietnam, and here's my finding for happycow. The restaurant is located off a main road in an alley, so you have to look for it. The food is quite tasty, and there are lots of selections. Vietnamese food. Possibly all vegan.

Pros: good choices, nice flavors, popular
Cons: could be cleaner
paemoses
paemoses

Excellent meal

Posted on 09 / 24 / 2011

Had our nicest dinner in Hanoi here. You would not find this place without a recommendation - down an alley around several corners but the food was excellent.
The meal was well priced with many typical Vietnamese dishes made without meat. Using meat subsitutes in the Bhuddist tradition. Many locals were dining there including several Buddhist Monks.
We had many dishes and all were good.
Staff plentiful but very busy chatting and texting however if you managed to attract thier attention they were quite helpful.

Pros: great food, extensive menu, cheap
Cons: staff, location
OT
OT

NOT A GOOD EXPERIENCE

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2011

The food at this restaurant was quite good with a varied menu. Unfortunately the service was the worst that I have ever experienced. The staff of which there were several spent the entire time that we were dining laughing loudly,shoving eachother and generally being nuisances - all this was within centimeters of our table. Very off putting. We also noticed a staff member lying on a diningtable with his shoes on the table cloth - not a very hygenic practice. We asked the manager of the restaurant to ask the staff to move away as we were being disturbed but the frivolity continued. The decor also not the best - the staff peered at us through the large glass window which looked out onto a dirty bike filled alley. We will not visit this restaurant again - not recommended.

Pros: Nice food, Varied menu, Good value
Cons: Terrible service, Lacks atmosphere, Unhygenic practices
iceman75
iceman75

The best in Hanoi downtown for me

Posted on 02 / 14 / 2011

With Diamond II, ot's the best Veggie Restaurant in Hanoi, for people living in Hoan Kiem district. Many mock meat dishes, tofu dishes. Everything is not fine but nothing is bad....maybe the rest rooms located just after the kitchen? Doesn't matter. The spring rolls are fine, but you've got to try something else like the delicious banana flower salad or the veggie thit kho. And for 5 dollars you'eat "like a king"

Pros: Many dishes, Not expensive, tofu, mock meat
Cons: Restrooms, too many dishes, not many fresh fruit
earthville
earthville

A good option for authentic Vietnamese

Posted on 01 / 25 / 2011

I ate here in 2007. A dependable family-style veg eatery with the standard Vietnamese veggie fare, which is to say generally tasty though some of the fried dishes can be a bit oily.

Fairly vegan friendly: everyone's happy to help, but one must find someone with good enough English to explain which items are vegan.

Fried sweet corn cakes (appetizer) are great!
Roast chicken is a chewy treat for fans of fauxtein.
Fried 9 (?) kinds of vegetables wasn't too flavorful (needed soy sauce).

Personally, i prefer May Trang (White Cloud), but if you're south of Hoan Kiem, Com Chay Nang Tam is a good option.

Pros: Good variety on the menu, Reasonable prices
Cons: Some dishes a bit oily
Petesternz
Petesternz

Good food

Posted on 12 / 06 / 2010

We enjoyed our visit to Com Chay Nang Tam. They had a very eclectic menu, with plenty of choices. The "cinnamon pate", which I wouldn't order again, was definitely different. It was effectively tofu in a cinnamon glaze, and interesting to eat. A few boring dishes (mushrooms with no flavour), were balanced by a really nice mock whitefish dish and a superb mango salad. Overall, a solid dinner, and good for Hanoi, but not anything to challenge the best restos.

PlanetEarth
PlanetEarth

Delicious plate

Posted on 08 / 14 / 2010

Veggie lunch as part of tour, so I don`t know about pricing, but good variety of mock elements and veggies, plus soup, very nice temple location, nice staff and atmosphere,...live music

Pros: temple grounds
Marion
Marion

Don't arrive too late

Posted on 03 / 26 / 2010

We arrived at 08.30 and were almost the last customers as they shut at 9.30 or earlier if the last customer has left. Very good food and reason for faux meat is, as I understand it, is because the Buddists do not want to offend the meat eaters so they have faux meats. Good very good and plentiful

Pros: Very good food, Easy to find
Cons: Best to arrive before 8 pm
MsVeggieMonster
MsVeggieMonster

Yummy, Great Place to recover from the trip over

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2010

This place was very nice and delicious. I didn't really like all their faux meats listed on their menu as most of us probably don't want "pork" anything, but their food was really good. It was pretty easy to find too, a nice big sign on Tram Hung Dao on the south side of the road then it's kind of tucked away.

Pros: Good food, Easy to find, Good value
Cons: Menu tries to imiatate meat
Veghead74
Veghead74

Tasty Food!

Posted on 12 / 15 / 2008

I was delighted with the well seasoned main dishes and I thought they had tasty mock meats. They had a small clean dining area with a homey feel.

Pros: Tasty
goldie
goldie

Excellent

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2008

I had dinner here mid July '08. Food was excellent - I loved it all. Very happy to have found this place which is about a 15-20 minute walk from where I'm staying near Hoan Kiem lake.
Their opening hours are 11-2 and the 5-9.30, so don't go between 2 & 5 as they are closed.

I had spring rolls, sauteed mustard greens & ten flavour fried rice. All were superb & the servings were quite generous. I was eating by myself & next time I will order a bit less. Just managed to pack it all away.
Along with some water & green tea the total was about 73,000 dong = about $5.00

Pros: friendly, fresh, flavour
simpsonyellow
simpsonyellow

Our Favourite in Hanoi

Posted on 02 / 03 / 2008

We must have bought about 10-12 dishes here when we were in Hanoi in Dec 07 and every one was a winner. Lots of mock meat on the menu, but there are plenty of plain veg options too. The salads are a high point - perfectly flavoured - but the rice and mock meat dishes are also excellent. Heaps of local diners, friendly staff, pleasant atmosphere and reasonable prices. Definitely looking forward to going back next time we're in Vietnam. As others have said, it's tucked down a little alley, but just look out for a the little (yellow?) sign on P. Tran Hung Dao.

Pros: Great food, Nice atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Com Chay Nang Tam: