CLOSED: Co Chi Vegan

Small Vietnamese food restaurant with salads, wrap sandwiches, snacks and a few main dishes. Food is vegan though drinks are not all vegan. AUG REPORTED DEFINITELY CLOSED. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Vietnamese, Asian
1 Werbellinstrasse (Karl-Marx Strasse)
Berlin, Germany 12053
015772039058

Open Mon-Sat 12:00-20:00, closed Sun.

First Review by beer and veg
beer and veg
beer and veg

Basic Quick Vegan Stop

3 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2012

I was delighted to see this little vegan restaurant located right in the heart of the NK shopping district. It was a bubble tea shop, and now they have expanded their offerings. It is a small place with about six small tables inside and a couple outside. Small snacks start at €2, mains €4.50-5. I ordered the Bun Thit Nuong, and my partner had the Thai curry. Mine was a bowl of rice noodles with a vinaigrette, fresh carrot and cucumber, and pieces of soy/wheat protein. The faux meat was tasty, but that is about all I can say. It was thin on veggies and just not as bright and herbacious as I was hoping for. The curry was way below par in my opinion, but my partner enjoyed it. It was quite mild, but, again, lacking that snap. The portions were slightly on the smallish side of reasonable, and, while not expensive, they seemed a bit overpriced for the quality. I also didn't know how to fell about the brand of the plant protein used in all their dishes being advertised on the back of the menu and on the window. I felt a bit like I was at a Mary Kay party or something. The counter service was okay, but I expect a bit friendlier service from a new place. Another criticism is that the shop sells 'milk tea', which is not labelled as vegan. Personally, I would rather support a vegan restaurant that does not sell cow milk, or at least one that labels animal products clearly.

This is a new place and I am sure it is still finding its feet. I will definitely visit Co Chi again, and perhaps revise my review. If you are looking for a snack that's not falafel, this is a nice change of pace.
It's great to see the vegan movement radiating north from Vux!

Pros: central NK, asian, vegan, not falafel
Cons: bit bland, not creative, price/quality ratio

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Co Chi Vegan: