Vegetarian fast-food restaurant in the Harvard Square. Casual atmosphere with indoor seating and free wi-fi. Part of the Clover Food Truck company that operates mobile trucks in Boston and Cambridge - see website for locations. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Fast food, Take-out
7 Holyoke St (Harvard St, near Harvard T stop)
Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138

shannonkaplan13
shannonkaplan13

eh

Posted on 12 / 21 / 2014

The place has a cool look and feel but I wasn't overly impressed by the food. I'm vegan and I got the BBQ seitan platter--the seitan was so hard and rubbery that I broke my fork trying to cut it. The Rosemary fries were really good though.

Steffilane
Steffilane

we gave it a shot

Posted on 05 / 29 / 2014

It's definitely not somewhere you go I have your way for. But the food was good. And the staff was very helpful

Pros: vegan available, food was tasty even to my heart my son who doesn't, concept is inviting to students
Cons: not somewhere I would take somebody out to dinner., felt fast food like in its ordering area, it's a place for a quick bite not a nice dinner an
area51alienbabe
area51alienbabe

Doesn't Understand Vegan...

Posted on 05 / 04 / 2013

First of all, I would give this restaurant one star if I could, but as they are "Vegetarian," HappyCow requires at least two stars.

I am a vegan, and if you are reading this, I'm assuming you understand that that means no dairy and no eggs. I am always cautions when eating out, even at a vegetarian restaurant and made a very specific request that I am vegan and would end up very sick if I consumed dairy. I then ordered per the host's suggestion with a request for no cheese or may on my sandwich. I didn't inspect my food before digging in, and a few bites in realized that there were large chunks of cheese in the sandwich. I don't know if it was an issue of cross-contamination or what, but I brought it back and asked for a replacement specifying "vegan, no eggs no dairy" once again. Upon inspection I realized that the new sandwich had mayo.

Needless to say, if you are vegan for whatever reason I would not go here, unless you plan on thoroughly inspecting your food before eating it. I would consider this service unacceptable for any restaurant but I find it even more disappointing coming from a vegetarian one.

Cons: Adds dairy to vegan food

Oslo
Oslo

half baked concept

Posted on 10 / 16 / 2012

Only disposable "compostable" ware, shortsighted idea of ecology.

MelissaLosos
MelissaLosos
  • raw

fans and cheap

Posted on 09 / 18 / 2012

fast and cheap

Pros: fast, cheap
Cons: not enough raw, not enough Gluten free, no sweet potatoes
RachelLouise
RachelLouise

Not the best for vegans - or anyone

Posted on 04 / 25 / 2012

I have had enough bad experiences here that I have decided to stop going even though it is so conveniently located.

Before I get into the food, I'll say that it's not really a fun experience because you have to wait for them to call your name to get your food, and they don't have any speaker system, so you have to listen really carefully, and sometimes it's nearly impossible to hear. It's not uncommon to spend the first 15 minutes of your time there straining to hear your name.

Now the food:

The day it opened, I ordered the cauliflower soup. It was possibly the worst thing I've ever eaten. If not the worst, definitely the second worst. It tasted fermented. It was bubbly and sour. I could only take about 2 bites before I gave up. Unfortunately, I had ordered it to go, so I couldn't easily take it back.

The main reason I kept going back was that the fries are really good. However, lately they have been very inconsistent. One day, there was way too much salt, and the next day there was almost none. They need to train the staff better so that they can have a consistent product.

Also, they don't have a lot of vegan options. Once I mentioned it to a staff member and he said that they weren't trying to be vegan-friendly. However, they did later get Vegenaise.

I went last night and saw that they had seitan chili. I asked if it was vegan and was told it was, so I ordered it. When it arrived, it had what looked like sour cream on top, so I asked the employee if it was vegan sour cream. She said, "No. Did you not want sour cream?" I said, "I was told the chili was vegan." She said, "The chili is vegan, but not the sour cream." Why would they tell people something is vegan if they put something non-vegan on top of it without asking? Anyway, she then said she would fix it, and I watched as she scooped off the sour cream and dumped it in the trash.

I will not go back.

Pros: fries, location, chickpea fritter
Cons: sometimes horrible food, waiting for your name to be called, misinforms about what is vegan
  • veganmiam veganmiam

I agree! "Why would they tell people something is vegan if they put something non-vegan on top of it without asking? Anyway, she then said she would fix it, and I watched as she scooped off the sour cream and dumped it in the trash. I will not go back."

markc7
markc7

tasty, simple, cool

Posted on 02 / 22 / 2012

Minimalist decor and service does not detract from the positive experience of eating at clover. The service is quick, the food tasty and cheap. Portion sizes are nothing to write home about, but you get a decent meal.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday February 22, 2012

Pros: cool environment, fast service
Cons: portions fairly small

Dear Owner and Manager of Clover Food Lab: