A bakery that also offers vegan sandwiches, tea, locally roasted coffee. Makes custom cakes and vegan baked goods. All vegan except for dairy offered for drinks. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Take-out, Bakery
299 Greene Ave (Lafayette, in Clinton Hill-Stuy)
Brooklyn, New York 11238
718-483-8788
Now Open

Tue-Fri 8:00am-9:00pm, Sat 9:00am-9:00pm, Sun 9:00am-6:00pm

First Review by forestfairy
BriggitteJ
BriggitteJ

Tasty Desserts! Not a 100% Vegan Bakery Though.

Posted on 04 / 09 / 2016

I was very pleasantly surprised by the large selection of items at Clementines as well as the great prices! They offer a variety of goodies from cupcakes and cakes by the slice to sweet and savory scones and sandwiches. I indulged in a mocha cupcake and chai tea with almond milk while I was there. I also purchased my friends drink and slice of cake for her. In total everything came out to less than $14, the prices are extremely fair compared to almost any other place around and the flavors are on point. I plan on coming back to enjoy the outdoor seating on a nice day and try out their breakfast offerings. I definitely feel like Clementines is a bit under the radar consider how great everything they carry is. Definitely a must try if you are in the area!

The big downside to Clementine is that they are not a 100% Vegan bakery as I had previously thought. They do offer whole milk in their cafe for the drinks they make. This sort of made me question the vegan-ness of their items considering nothing in the bakery is actually marked "vegan" and none of the sandwiches state vegan cheese they just say "cheese". I plan to inquire further when I stop back in and would recommend others do as well. Better safe than sorry!

Pros: variety, price, taste
Cons: Offers Dairy Milk, Not 100% Vegan
Leasy-lou
Leasy-lou

Amazing bakery!

Posted on 02 / 23 / 2016

My boyfriend and I visited Clementine recently and had a wonderful experience. It was really busy when we visited, and I felt a bit sorry for the staff because they were clearly understaffed in the front of house, but they were still super friendly which was nice. We ordered a BLAT and a Schmancy, and both were so delicious and huuuuge. Seriously the best vegan sandwiches I've ever had. We also had coffee which was decent and got some take away muffins which were also wonderful. They have a great selection of sweet and savoury pastries. Recommend if you're in the area!

funkymonkee
funkymonkee

Sad Sammiches, Don't Bother

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2016

I want to give Clementine's a higher rating, because the desserts are seriously delicious and the fact that they offer so many gf AND vegan choices is really nice.

With that said, I used to go to Clementine's about once a week. I made the mistake of ordering their sandwiches and taking them home. Three times in a row I got the Schmancy, and three times in a row it was missing something. The last time I ordered it, it was literally just the bread and tofu.

I started asking them to let me know if they were out of any ingredients and the cashier would assure me they weren't, but lo and behold I would come home with the saddest sandwich ever. When I told the cashier about it I was offered no apology or recompense, they just offered an awkward "ok" and stared at me. When I brought up the fact that I was paying the same amount for way less they did the same. I don't even mind paying, just tell me you're out so that I can order something else!

Pros: gluten free and delicious, dessert
Cons: inconsistent, unhelpful staff, missing ingredients

Deathbyaudio
Deathbyaudio

Amazing place for breakfast lunch and treats

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2016

Get the BLAT or the Schmancy and you will not be disappointed. This is even amazing if you ain't vegan.

Pros: sandwiches are amazing, great cakes and pretty good cupcakes
Cons: scones and muffins are great just no bursting with, can be crowded
sXe_22
sXe_22

Not memorable

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2016

An ok blackberry muffin and a too crumbly gluten-free chocolate cookie cake. Not the best.

VeganHumanist
VeganHumanist

Enticing concept but low-quality cooking

Posted on 09 / 07 / 2015

Love the ambiance including all fresco on a quiet, leafy street. And like the extensive menu of vegan breakfast, lunch, and desert items -- especially an impressive menu for a tiny place. I took a a can from Manhattan to try this en route to JFK.

However, the quality gives vegan cooking and baking a bad name. Heavy on oils salt, and overdone other seasonings. Low on fresh, low on balanced taste. Clumpy stuff turned up also in my chilly cupcake and spoonful of stale ice cream (store bought). I tried a bell pepper and cheddar biscuit (creative in concept maybe but execution was too oily) and a "schmancy" sandwich -- too much of good things plus a ton of salt ruined it.

I would return here only if it were right on the way of where I wanted to be.

amykbauer
amykbauer

THE BEST

Posted on 07 / 13 / 2015

Great coffee, lots of non dairy milks offered, out of this world vegan baked goods, outdoor seating....it's the best bakery in Brooklyn! Can't go wrong with any of the baked goods. I haven't tried the sandwiches yet but have heard rave reviews of the tempeh rueben.

MuK-UK
MuK-UK

Excellent

Posted on 01 / 30 / 2015

I can't claim to have tried a huge amount here, but the strudel and the cinnamon roll I had were both excellent.

I would certainly go out of my way to come back here.

Pros: Some gluten free options, Savoury things too!, Friendly staff
Cons: Limited seating
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Not that great

Posted on 01 / 26 / 2015

If this is the only vegan bakery you've been to, it's good. If you've been to Pattycake or Vegan Treats, this place just can't match up. The density of many items is off - too wet or undercooked.

It's OK, but I've had better at several other bakeries.

Pros: vegan
Cons: can't match peers
Yariv
Yariv

Great spot to sit down, great variety

Posted on 01 / 02 / 2015

Has a large selection of baked goods, along with sandwiches, salads and soup. Plus coffee and so on. Food was very good, friendly staff, and excellent music selection.

Good for working, also has little outdoor seating area.

Pros: Sunny, Variety, Outdoor seating area
Cons: Small
xmakeachangex
xmakeachangex

great food but SERVES DAIRY MILK

Posted on 04 / 16 / 2014

The food is great. But I have a serious problem with an establishment that claims to be a vegan spot that keeps dairy milk in the fridge for customers wanting it for their coffee. It makes me question the integrity of the ingredients the use for their baked goods and how seriously they take it.
It's not that hard, give them soy or almond milk.

Pros: great Danish , nice staff
Cons: serves dairy
Violistakaren
Violistakaren

Unbelievable

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

This place wins for variety, selection, and taste. I shared an incredible slice of lemon cake and a gluten free chocolate cupcake. I will be back! They had so much to pick from!!!

joelrama
joelrama

Large selection of vegan goodies

Posted on 12 / 31 / 2013

I love that it's not just super sweet cupcakes. I had a savory and a sweet Danish. Both were delicious.

Counter staff was friendly, despite what other reviewer said.

changoamable
changoamable

Good bakery sunk by poor counter staff.

Posted on 09 / 02 / 2013

Good cakes, cupcakes, cheesecake, cookies, cinnamon rolls, danish, sandwiches. Yum!
Problem is, the counter staff is so consistently poor, and turn over so quickly, I hesitate these days in coming here. These people act like they have much more important places to be, don't listen, consistently make mistakes, are careless (squashed cakes, anyone?), painfully slow, and sometimes rude.
Is it so hard to find, train and retain decent bakery counter staff? Be serious. The day is coming soon that I'll just stop coming, recommending the place, etc. It's sad to see a good business go down because of careless staffing.
BTW, the Chai isn't vegan (honey), and they serve cow milk.

Pros: Baked goods, Sandwiches, DF Maven ice cream
Cons: counter staff, counter staff, counter staff
Veganstrength
Veganstrength

awesomest vegan sandwiches

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2013

And great vegan pastries and soy lattes

jrm212
jrm212

so lucky to have this in our 'hood!

Posted on 05 / 10 / 2013

the only true vegan place in the neighborhood, all very delicious food (treats, sandwiches, soups in winter). cozy place to hang out. the cakes are gorgeous, an ever-changing roster.
yes it's a bakery so a lunch here is starch-heavy, as to be expected, but note to staff if you're reading this: adding salads to the menu would be a wonderful balance! :)

forestfairy
forestfairy

vegan comfort food!

Posted on 02 / 02 / 2013

I love going to Clementine Bakery because it's around the corner from where my brother in law lives and the only yummy vegan food in the area that we've found!
They have great tea and coffee, baked goods, and a sandwich board with my personal favorite: the tempeh reuben. Yes, it's smothered with Daiya cheese and I'm not usually a fan of that processed stuff, but when it's the morning after a concert and you're craving salt and bread like crazy, this is a heavenly place to find! The staff is really friendly, but they do take their time. As long as you don't mind chilling for a little while then it's all good, but don't go there when you're in a huge rush.

Pros: excellent breakfast, cozy vibe, friendly staff
Cons: a little slow