Clear Head - Lehka Hlava

Vegetarianska restaurace. Contemporary vegetarian cuisine featuring specials, tapas, soups, salads, desserts, pasta, main entrees, fresh juices and beverages. Menu is also in English, and vegan items are marked. No eggs used. Interior is unique with each room a different theme: a small colorful contemporary room, a warm orange room with fish tank, and a blue heaven room where the called is decorated with stars. Reservation recommended. No smoking. The kitchen breaks from 15:30-17:00 when only appetizers and desserts are served. Directions: From Charles Bridge (Karlova mostu) walk south for 2 blocks along Krizovnicka to K Svetle and then turn left onto Borsov, a quiet alley off of K Svetle. Restaurant is immediately on left side in a soft peach color building. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, International, Juice bar, Wine, Take-out
Borsov 2, Praha 1 (south of Charles Bridge and Stare Mesto metro stop)
Prague, Czech Republic Praha 1
+420-222-220665

Open Mon-Fri 11:30-23:30, Sat-Sun 12:00-23:30. Kitchen closes 22:00.

First Review by Poundie
Fionio
Fionio

Difficult to find but well worth it.

5 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2014

Very busy so probably best to book if you don't want to be turned away. I turned up on the off-chance and had a long wait for a table but took the opportunity to explore the surrounding lanes and scenery.
Menu is quite diverse catering for a range of needs- raw, vegan etc. More vegan mains would be helpful- I opted for the Thai Red Curry and it was extremely tasty. For starters I had Tofoie Gras and homemade bread sticks- delicious!
Portions are large so I couldn't manage a dessert.
Friendly staff and good service- reasonably priced

Pros: excellent food
Cons: very busy- book in advance
sauce1173
sauce1173

Not bad at all =)

4 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2014

I eat here during my stay in the city and enjoyed very much. You need to make a reservation to hear so I was expecting the food to blow my mind. It was good and would eat here again but not mind blowing. very cute place

Soybean
Soybean

Decent, but not amazing.

3 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2013

Nice looking place with a modest range of vegan options, essentially the same as Maitrea. The staff were friendly and the atmosphere was pleasant.

The food was decent, though it wasn't fantastic. Definitely don't order anything chili or curry if you have expectations of chili or curry flavour. Mild to the point of undetectable.

Pros: Nice atmosphere., Decent food. , Friendly staff.
Cons: No spice or heat whatsoever.
roxette521
roxette521

Beautiful and delicious

4 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2013

You really have to make reservations to get into this place, as it's pretty small and usually busy, but if you come right at opening, you might get in before the the later reservations. We came twice without reservations, and were able to get dinner, though once we had to sit at the single table in the courtyard.

This is a sister restaurant of Maitrea, so the decor is also very beautiful and magical. The menu was better in some ways, because we found more vegan things to eat, and they were actually mostly different from what Maitrea serves. Too often this is not the case with restaurants with the same ownership. All the food was delicious, even simple things like grilled vegetables. I actually thought the service was pretty decent too, attentive and fast, if not smiley. The location is nice, just steps away from the river side promenade. It's also right next to some great bars, such as Hemingway.

Pros: Delicious food, Beautiful decor, Quick service
Cons: Hard to get a table
ValerieWarner
ValerieWarner

Nice, interesting restaurant!

5 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2013

I had a lovely meal here. It was very popular- the place was full shortly after opening! Very nice, interesting menu and a delicious meal. It was a little more expensive than I planned, but it was a good experience.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Cool atmosphere
Cons: slightly pricey
roxyru
roxyru

Beautiful little find in Prague!

5 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2013

We had asked where a Vegan/Vegetarian restaurant was during our visit to Prague 2 days ago, and one of the locals referred us to this restaurant. It was a bit hard to find, but we were sure glad we found it!
The food was delicious and affordable, and the atmosphere was warm and welcoming. We had an Avocado appetizer, and a Thai Soup, and for dinner a Thai Coconut Curry dish, and an Oriental Stir fry with Smoked Tofu. We had fresh Coconut water to drink, and everything was excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant in Prague!

Pros: Affordable, Delicious, Warm and Welcoming
Cons: A bit hard to find
sarahpalin1
sarahpalin1

Best meal we had in Prague, wish discovered sooner

5 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2013

Reviews speak for themselves. This is an excellent place with brilliant food and lovely decor. We went for dinner at 8pm on Sunday night and they said it was a 20 minute wait (ended up less and we could order starters) but I would recommend booking so you don't miss out!

The smoked tofu cashew vegan starter was delicious, as was the burrito and quesadilla main.

The rooms are beautiful just to look at as each part was designed by an artist.

Best meal we had in Prague (over other veggie places), wish we discovered it sooner!

Pros: Dlicoosu, Beautiful decor, Nice vibe
Cons: Might be long wait, Most maps show street incorrectly
manooh
manooh

Popular place - for good reasons

5 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2013

Maitrea and Clear Head seem to be partner restaurants. Interior-wise, Maitrea wins, but taste- and selection-wise, we think Clear Head is the clear winner. Situated in an old building (visit the toilet! ;-)), it was absolute ok atmosphere in there. There was a long queue when we arrived (about 2pm), so it might be worth reserving when you go there for lunch. We had the Thai red curry and the oriental stir-fry, and liked them both very much (both a bit spicy). The selection of vegan options was bigger here than in Maitrea, and like there, the dishes were extremely well labelled (vegan, veganizable, raw, gluten-free, contains nuts/onion/garlic, ...). Loved the selection of fresh pressed juices.

Pros: wide selection, extremely good food-labelling, many fresh juice options
Cons: need to reserve
AngelaWaite
AngelaWaite

Highly Recommended. Went back twice :)

4 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2013

Highly recommended vegetarian restaurant. Lots of choice, so nice to look through a menu and have so many options. We went one night and then booked a table the following night. Booking is probably recommended if you've got something to attend to after to make sure you get a table at this popular place.

Pros: Lots of choice, English Speaking
hack_man
hack_man

Legendary

5 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2013

This is a super establishment and easily in my top 10 of all time. The food is magnificent and I have experienced some of the best vegetarian restaurants in Europe and the UK so I wouldn't say that lightly. The rooms are beautiful, and the tables are works of modern art in their own right. An amazing, cosy dining experience in a wonderful setting. I cannot think of anything negative to say at all. One of the finest vegetarian meals I have ever had. They also have a sister restaurant that is equally as impressive and possibly even more internally eyecatching than Clear Head called Maitrea on Tynska Ulicka. Clear Head is somewhere you could go to for a special lunch or a romantic evening dinner, it is for me quite simply a wonderful vegetarian establishment. Many of the veggie places in Prague close at around 21:00 but this place rocks on until at least 23:30 every night if not later, depending on business.

Pros: gourmet food, unique touches, location
jellybean
jellybean

Enjoyed our meals

4 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2013

We were there just after they opened at noon on a Sunday - we were seated right away but a few minutes later, people were waiting. We enjoyed our meals. Alot of items include cheese. We asked them to hold the cheese - I was disappointed that they didn't have a non-dairy cheese to substitute.
Convenient to old town - easy to miss the alley/cul-de-dac.

Cons: lot of dishes had cheese
dsparakh
dsparakh

If you are enlightened, you eat for free!

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2013

This was an unexpected find during the short amount of free time I had during a tour of Prague. Warm, friendly, and welcoming ambiance. The restaurant was quite busy, which was great to see. Good food, lots of choice, and reasonably priced. Oh, and an if you are a monk, ordained clergy, or enlightened – you eat for free!

Pros: Variety, Ambiance
tcane7
tcane7

Clear Head, Full Belly

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2013

We enjoyed this place so much we ate here 2 out of the 4 nights we spent in Prague. Reasonably priced, good and friendly service, and great food.

Our main courses and appetizers were very good. However, my girlfriend could not stop talking about the ginger tea and raw cheesecake we had for dessert. The bulgar risotto was our favorite.

If you are a vegetarian visiting Prague this destination is a must. Just get good directions because it is down a tiny alley near the river, slightly off the beaten path.

Chia
Chia

Excellent

5 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2013

I had read about this place on happycow, and ate here twice on a past trip to Prague. Here's my Lehka Hlava review.

My husband and I had excellent dining experiences both meals. The ambiance of the restaurant is modern, clean, and pleasant.

The food was tasty and satisfying and in good portions. We dined once in the orange room, and once in the colorful modern room. The menu offered a variety of choices (in English, too). The dishes we ordered were: the house special mint lemonade, freshly squeezed carrot-ginger juice, the goat cheese salad, tempeh bulgar risotto, spinach with goat cheese atop potatoes gratin, and marinated skewered vegetables with couscous. All very good and reasonable prices.

If you come to Prague, definitely eat at Clear Head. I've added it to my list of Top 10 Favorite Veg Restaurants.

Pros: good vibes, good food, good service
TMcC
TMcC

Lehka Hlava/Clear Head

5 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2013

I went to this restaurant twice whilst I was in Prague. The food was fantastic and the portions massive! I had a beautiful Tofu salad, followed by Chai tea. The restaurant was bustling, atmospheric and fantastic value of money. I highly recommend it!

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Big portions
Cons: Very busy
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

definitely lives up to reviews, get a reservation!

5 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2013

Had a wonderful dinner here. Nice vegan options (I highly recommend the burrito!) We arrived in Prague on a Sat evening and immediately called and they could only get us in at 9:30 but we just killed time walking around the marvelous Old Town streets. The restaurant has several different rooms, we sat in the Orange room, which was nice. pretty much everyone around us was speaking English. There's a room with stars on the ceiling that I'm going to request on our last night here, but also don't get stuck next to the Bathroom! I believe you walk up to the register at the end of your meal and pay rather than asking for the bill (could be wrong) that's what we observed and did. Also, they take credit cards, but imprint your card and they can't add a tip so make sure you have some cash for your hard working waitress, they were jam packed and turning around tables as fast as possible so people waiting could sit together, etc.

Pros: vegan friendly, popular
Bunuelos
Bunuelos

Disappointed

3 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2013

Based on previous reviews, I came to this restaurant with a high expectation or maybe too high.

We ordered one of everything they have to offer from specials of the day and nothing from menu because we were a little stressed for time.

The dining atmosphere of this restaurant was lovely, with great decorations and friendly English speaking staff, the food however was a bit of a let down, the goulash soup was way too salty, which the lentil soup was good but nothing special. I think they are trying to be creative with our main course and dessert, but at the end of the day it was just strange, with not so harmonious taste and strange sensation.

I feel very hesitant to give a mediocre score to such a highly rated restaurant, but I felt that a different opinion should heard as well.

Pros: friendly staff, English menu, good pleasant dining atmosphere
Cons: food is too creative for my taste, needs reservation , quality control
SagarKShah
SagarKShah

Good

4 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2012

This place is located very centrally (very close to Charles Bridge), but is hidden away in a little alley so can be a little tricky to find. It also gets booked up very quickly - so advance booking is definitely recommended.

The interior decor is very nice - the walls are covered with stencil art, one of the rooms has a starry sky with fairy lights, and the tables were specially designed by a czech artist with glass beads and lights. Staff were friendly too.

We came as a group of five and ordered the sun-dried tomato/peanut pesto, coconut lentil soup, and tabbouleh to start, and for mains ordered the quesadilla, bulgur wheat/tempeh risotto, thai curry and stir fry dish. The dishes were tasty and we left feeling very full - and we'd be happy to go again. That said, we are quite fussy eaters, and compared to Maitrea (Clear head's sister restaurant, where our experience was close to perfect) we had a couple of qualms with dishes...the pesto was a little too sharp in taste, the stir fry sauce tasted a little bit-too much like ketchup, the thai curry was nice but tasted almost identical to the lentil soup, and the flavour of the tempeh and the pesto slightly overpowered the risotto.

Overall - we were very happy with our experience and would definitely recommend all vegetarians/vegans come here for a meal out in prague - but think that Maitrea has a slight edge over Clear Head as the best v*gan restaurant in Prague.

Solun
Solun

Perfect choice

5 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2012

I definitely recommend this restaurant to everyone who asks for a good vegetarian/vegan food.

They offer some vegan dishes as well but they could make a little more of them.

Restaurant looks great, it is very intimate (tables are close to each other, lights are low, music is quiet). If you don't want to have this intimacy, consider visiting Maitrea Restaurant (their sister restaurant). Food is really, really good in Clear Head and Maitrea. I can definitely recommend.

I suggest making a reservation at least two days before you go there (sometimes they really don't have enough space).

I also recommend visiting their sister restaurant Maitrea (it's in Prague as well and is in downtown).

Pros: great food quality, affordable prices, nice staff
Cons: need to make a reservation
ZuzannaDydak
ZuzannaDydak

Great food

5 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2012

I really recommend this restaurant. You have plenty to choose from the menu. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Menu is in English so there is no problem to uderstand it. Worth to visit and try.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, nice decor
Sihaaja
Sihaaja

My most favorite in Prague

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2012

I just love this one! Totally my most favorite in Prague. The food is tasty and the atmosphere is nice. The prices are average; just you may unexpectedly spend extra money for the lovely drinks as guarana cocktails etc. Anyway the daily menu is incredibly good value for money! I can really recommend Eggplant quesadilla, one of my most favorite dishes!

Pros: great food, lots to choose from, nice atmosphere, lovely drinks
Cons: often full, have to make reservation
veg.dan
veg.dan

dear vegans...

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2012

The description of this restaurant clearly states vegetarian, not vegan. I would therefore suggest you don't criticize it for something it does not claim to be. The food is tasty and good, not spectacular. My partner and I ate well for 500crowns (20 euro) total which included a soup with our main and a drink. Bargain. Nice atmosphere but be sure to book as it gets busy. Good place to go for veggies who want plenty of options and decent food.

Pros: tasty, atmosphere, price
Cons: can get busy
loriSD
loriSD

Great Find!

5 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2012

This is difficult to find, but worth it! Walk past the St. Charles bridge and turn left to the behind alley once you pass I- burger. You will see an alley on the left that looks empty. I remember it by the two big rocks on both sides of the walkway. You will see a door on the left and you are there! They have a very limited menu between 3:30 - 5:00. We came at that time and made reservations for 1700. GREAT selection and good wines. Don't miss this one, they also have another location on the main square.

Pros: Food, Servers
Cons: accessibility
Jeffrey_Monica
Jeffrey_Monica

outstanding vegetarian food

5 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2012

We ate at both Lehka Hlava and also Maitrea this week. The items on the menu at Lehka are a subset of the Maitrea menu and the price is slightly higher at this one. The food is truly outstanding.

Pros: top quality food, no smoking, friendly staff
Cons: slightly higher cost than Maitrea
dates
dates

writing for vegans

2 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2012

this review is intended mostly for vegans- I have to say that there are few vegan options at clear heads...and many of them are dishes i wasn't excited for because i would cook myself- hummus, lentil soup, pasta with tempeh... There were two items on the dish labeled as vegan that contained honey so I didn't feel confident that any of the vegan food was actually vegan (does the side salad have honey in it?). This place is definitely catered towards vegetarians and doesn't care about animals. I would suggest going to an all-vegan restaurant in prague instead.

anderson_santos
anderson_santos

Nice restaurant

4 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2012

Good food and nice restaurant, only few vegan options and they got the raw vegan cheesecake wrong, it contains honey and is marked as vegan. But worth a visit. The carrot, coconut cake was delicious, sadly the vegan version comes with no chocolate sauce.

ramachandra
ramachandra

vegetarian restaurant in Prague

4 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2012

This place had a nice atmosphere with nicely decorated rooms. The menu was quite extensive, and everything had an English translation. I had a simple spinach burrito and it was delicious, though a little smaller than what I'm used to. They had a lot of interesting drinks on the menu (juices, teas, special filter water...) and some desserts too. I think it's worth a try for a dinner out.

Chester Dave
Chester Dave

Real vegetarian food.

5 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2012

We ate here on two occasions and wish we had found it sooner.
It is a little hippy but the food is terrific, the staff and the service are really good and would recommend this place very highly.
Just be aware that if you order the chilli chocolate it is more of a pudding than a drink as it is very thick and sweet.

Pros: Non smoking, Good Food, Friendly
Cons: Hidden location, May need to wait for a table.
tsap
tsap

Vegetarians Visiting Prague Rejoice!

5 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2012

My family and I were worried about finding good vegetarian food while vacationing in Prague. Due to the great reviews of this restaurant by Happy Cow readers, we tried Clear Head. The food was so good and such a great value the first night, we came back the next night. The food, decor, and service were all exceptional. Highly recommended!
Updated from previous review on Monday August 06, 2007

Update November 2011 - Had the great fortune of having several meals at Clear Head again. Have been to many vegetarian places in the U.S. (e.g., Millennium, Chicago Diner, Candle 79, Sublime) and in Europe (I need to do a better job of submitting reviews -sorry!) and this place has clearly solidified a spot in my top 10. Truly wonderful.

TheresaKuttner
TheresaKuttner

don't miss out on that one!

5 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2011

very nice place with really, really good food! i went for the bulgur risotto which was just amazing. they also have raw spaghetti and again the raw cheese cake that u can also find at Maitrea.
if you love green juices, this is also the right place for you! the "green booster" juice is a MUST!

vegAnelly
vegAnelly

My all-time fav :)

5 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2011

The food is lovely, cheap and healty, with many vegan options on the menu and more on demand. I lived in Prague and it was my favourite restaurant, I still go there everytime I go back to Czech. I've tried a lot of dishes and foud all of them excellent! As drinks I would recommend the fresh mint tea and the apple-beetroot-ginger fresh juice, simply delicious! The carrot cake is also memorable, but keep in mind it's a huge portion, so share it or don't eat too much before :D
The only negative aspect is that is't so good and well known that it's always full, even on weekdays, booking it's a must, but it's worth it! If you manage ask for the blue room, it's a bit dark but the star-light ceiling is adorable!

Pros: delicious food, great atmosphere, no smoking
Cons: booking needed, crowded
lucyblack74
lucyblack74

Great choice! Definitely recommend this one!

4 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2011

This is a lovely restaurant and I would definitely want to eat here again, as they have a number of interesting dishes to try. We were in Prague for 4 days and ate here twice. Similar to the sister restaurant Maitrea, the service is quick, the prices are very reasonable, the menu is in English, and there is a wide variety of dishes. I would say Clear Head is slightly better for vegans than Maitrea.

The evening we were there, they also had a special raw vegan menu - I think the main was courgetti bolognaise, and raw cheezecake for desert. The interior is lovely - very cosy and welcoming, it's really pleasant to be in. It's also very very busy - you might not get in if you just turn up. It's a little bit outside of the Old Town - maybe 10 mins walk, but definitely worth it.

The first evening I think I had some sort of curry - can't quite remember the specifics, but I do remember it was really delicious. My boyfriend had a sort of potato lasagne dish which he said was lovely. The second time was lunch and we both had the red lentil soup with coconut milk, which was really good, and some humous - it was great to be able to have the sort of lunch I would normally have at home. I also had a lovely hot spiced apple juice. As with Maitrea, the menu does seem to be fairly reliant on soya/tofu ingredients and I would love to have more choice of purely vegetable based dishes, but I can't fault Clear Head - it was great to have such a nice place available.

Would highly recommend this place to all - veggie, vegan or even non-veggie - there's enough here for everyone.

Pros: Cosy interior, Wide choice, Great prices
Icemaiden
Icemaiden

Delicious! Try to make a reservation!

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2011

This place was BUSY! We couldn't get in for dinner one night so we went for lunch the following day. It is absolutely delicious, and I'd reccommend it to anyone. Check out the photos I uploaded. We had a red curry, which was nice, but a little watery, and we had a Big Clear Head, which was a mix of potato gratin, vegetable shish kebabs, and eggplant 'quesadillas' - it was delicious and MASSIVE! Big enough for two...

Pros: Great food, Good location
Cons: May need to book
happyvegi
happyvegi

best veggie restaurant ever

5 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2011

I was just amazed about this restaurant. Large menu with many interesting dishes. I have been there a couple of times and there are still a lot of dishes I am eager to try. many different rooms, each an art on its own. just fascinating...

can't wait to go there again.
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 27, 2011

Jannike
Jannike

Great value for money

5 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2011

We just loved this restaurant. We had a 3 course meal for 3 people, beer, wine, tea and coffee for what we would have paid for a simple meal each at home (in Norway). Very good value for money.
The decorations are as original as the food - we loved that too. We came at 5 PM and had not reserved a table, and we were very lucky to get one. After 7 every table was fully booked. So I would advise you to reserve a table in advance.
We shared a plate with different starters, which were good.
For a main course I would especially recommend a dish with gratinated goat cheese on spinach and potato and for desert a carrotcake with chocolate sauce. (sounds strange, but tasted great)
We will most certainly come back if we ever go to Prague again. I was happy to see that they also served a raw "cheesecake" for desert, even if I did not chose the raw cake this time.
I just wish this restaurant was in my home town!!

Pros: Excellent food, Creative food, Good value
Cons: It may be fully booked
FridaBorg
FridaBorg

Swede about Lehka Hlava

4 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2011

Great place to eat, very yummy food!
A bit loud if you are placed close to the kitchen area because of different juicemakers that produce a lot of noise. Other than that you may also want to think about making a reservation if you are eating there during lunch or dinner.
Beautiful interior and good staff.

Pros: interior, food, non-smoking
Cons: a bit noisy, can be hard to get a table
devinmarsh
devinmarsh

Super and delicious

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2011

Found this great restaurant out of necessity because all Prague restaurants are very meat based. We were very happy and lucked out that we were the last ones to get a table because they were all booked for the night. Make sure you call and get a reservation. Everything was delicious and the servings were large. The main dinning room has recently been painted with a beautiful graphic. The menu has many options of food and drinks. Will will visit their other restaurant during our visit.

Pros: Large portions, Great flavor , Huge menu
Cons: Small dinning room, Small beer selection
JK1
JK1

Wonderful

5 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2011

An excellent vegetarian restaurant with a good range of vegan choices. We went here for dinner and thoroughly enjoyed both the food and the ambience and returned the following day for lunch. The restaurant was busy, particularly during lunchtime, however on both occassions were able to get a table straight away, without booking. The two main rooms are very different from one another and I would recommend the smaller 'blue' room for dinner. The food was excellent, and I would thoroughly recommend this restaurant. The service was slightly slow during our lunchtime visit as the restaurant was full, although the wait was not excessive and the food was certainly worth the wait.

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Non-Smoking
Cons: Speed of lunchtime service
olia_m
olia_m

Perfect

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2011

Since a friend told me of this place, it's only here that I eat when visiting Prague. Just a perfect place.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
johanandren
johanandren

Great vegan and vegetarian

5 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2010

Visited in september 2010. This was the best restaurant we visited in Prag! We ate a three course dinner and all four of us (two meaties, one vegetarian and one vegan) loved it.

We had to make a reservation to get a table.

Pros: good value, excellent food
Edz
Edz

Of its own class in Europe

5 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2010

Brilliant, cheap, popular. Extensive menu with so many stand out items it was hard to choose.

We didn't book a table but after waiting for 10 minutes we got a table for two.

kveg10
kveg10

Worth finding hole in the wall

5 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2010

Excellent food and selection at this vegetarian restaurant with loads of vegan choices. The bulgar risotto was very good.

Pros: excellent food, smoke-free
natz
natz

Excellent restaurant

4 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2010

Went here on a Thursday night and hadn't booked but managed to get a table without waiting - presume it would be better to book on a weekend. The restaurant was packed (as were all the other veggie restaurants we went to that week - obviously a clear need for more veggie restaurants which is great) and was a nice romantic atmosphere. The food options were great and there were some vegan choices. We had the seitan risotto (vegan) and the tempeh pasta with spinach and mushrooms (veggie). The risotto was perfect, the pasta was a bit too heavy on the cream and was covered in a lot of parmesan so I would recommend asking for it without parmesan to try and keep it a bit healthier! Large portion size so we didn't need starters, sides or desserts. We did have a side of mixed bread which was lovely though. Good selection of fruit juices and also some good alcoholic options. Reasonable prices - we spent about £22 for two mains, two drinks and a large carafe of water. Recommended - can be difficult to find if you are walking south of Charles Bridge. We walked past the street and only found it walking back up the other way. Worth the finding though!

Pros: good food, great atmosphere, cheap for a romantic meal
Cons: food could be healthier with less cream, probably need to book
astramax151
astramax151

beautiful veggie haven

5 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2010

we booked in advance by e-mail (they do prefer you to book by phone though according to menu)table was reserved for us in the beautiful starry ceiling room. Restaraunt was very busy with a variety of people eating there, including locals, which is always a good sign. staff speak good english + menu is in english too. I had the Thai red curry my wife had couscous patties, both can be highly recommended. also recommended is the sahleb, a milky drink made from crushed roots. There is a definite relaxed vibe about Lehka Hlava with people staying + chatting long after they finish eating. dogs are allowed in the restaraunt, which adds to relaxed atmosphere, we were greated by an extremely soppy labrador/boxer cross from another table. Whilst this is not the cheapest veggie eatery, it is highlt recommended for a fun + satisfying evening meal experience.

Pros: great food, relaxed atmosphere, happy vibe
Cons: ., ., .
ieatmodestmouse
ieatmodestmouse

so good

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2010

was here may 2010. we ordered hummus, lentil soup, tempura pasta, and a stir fry. everything was huge portions, and so delicious! waitstaff was friendly. its a bit busy compared to other places so you may have to wait.

veggiegoth
veggiegoth

awesome!

5 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2010

this place was great. it has a cozy atmosphere and delicious food. i came here for dinner and had a lovely 3 course meal. the waitress was super nice. it is on a quiet little street so it's easy to miss. definitly check it out!

Tullio
Tullio

best in Prague

5 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2010

Probably the best vegetarian restaurant in Prague. If you want to eat here be sure to book in advance (they speak English so it's definitely OK to call even if you are a foreigner). Try "the small clear head" or "the big clear head", a selection of their dishes. The wine list is good, I really enjoy their red wines (especially the Californian one). If the restaurant is full, they ask you to go to Maitrea. The menu is similar and Maitrea is rally a valid alternative.

Pros: tasty food
Cons: booking is required
Powerbex
Powerbex

Fantastic

4 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2009

So glad I found this place on Happy Cow! Restaurant was fully booked even though it was a Tursday night, called to make a booking that day and they managed to fit us in later that evening. Restaurant is divided into 3 rooms with different themes, all very cosy. There us also one 2 seated in the hall way by the toilet- not a good place to sit. The menu is very extensive, with starters, salads, soups, pastas, main meals, teas, drinks and desserts. Vegan options are good and are marked on menu. The hummus was delicious, as was the Sundried tomato paste, and the stir fry that I had for my main meal was tasty and well spiced. The 2 meat eaters joining me had the burritos and enjoyed them immensly. There was not much on the dessert menu that was vegan but I was too full anyway! The waitress was very nice but a bit slow with drinks. All in all a wonderful experience!

klingsor
klingsor

Beautiful and delicious. Great place for a date!

5 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2009

Wow! Just wow! I travel about 200 days a year and have made it my personal mission to check out every Happy Cow restaurant that I can all around the globe (thank God for this site). So far I've seen a few, but this one is among the top 5 I've seen so far. The decor is enchanting, sublime and romantic. The food is excellent. And the vibe is friendly and relaxed. As other reviewers here have mentioned, make a reservation, is seems to always be busy. Take my advice, please, do not miss this place - you'll be glad you went.

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy cuisine, Extraordinary atmosphere.
Cons: Sometimes hard to get a table
  • Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi Klingsor, I liked your review of this place. It sounds wonderful. I travel a lot too, and will definitely hit this place the next time I am in Prague.

LIZZ
LIZZ

A Very Special Place

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2009

Everything about this place is wonderful - a great menu with plenty of interesting choices, REALLY delicious food, incredibly friendly, helpful staff and good atmosphere. Perfect place to spend an evening in lovely Prague. But I also wish there was one in my town!!!

Forbala
Forbala

I wish this place was in my town instead of prague

5 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2009

...i would be a regular visitor, it is a lovely place, very nice environment, delicious food, fast service, large enought portions (unlike it's sister restaurant Maitrea), just perfect:):):)make sure you book in advance, as its VERY busy.

sarahwade
sarahwade

Lovely restaurant for a romantic dinner!

5 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2009

We were so happy to find this amazing restaurant. There are three rooms and they all have a different theme and all the decor was designed by their friends. They have heaps of vegan options. We went there in Aug 09 for dinner on two evenings. I had the barley risotto and the stir fry dish which were both great. Matt had the red curry and he really enjoyed that. For starter, we had the sundried tomato and peanut pesto - that was excellent and it was served with yummy bread. We also shared a dessert which was a carrot cake served warm with soy custard/sauce. It was pretty good. I'd definitely recommend this place.

Pros: excellent vegan options, lovely decor, reasonably priced
Cons: Book a table cos it's really popular!
Iines
Iines

Excellent

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2009

Great place. We didn't need a reservation but I guess we were lucky. Prague definitely had the best veggie restaurants (I travelled in Germany and Austria too) on my trip.

VegangirlSTHLM
VegangirlSTHLM

I'll be back!

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2009

*Make reservation to be sure to get a table.
*Friendly and service minded staff.
*Unusual decor but not really for me, it was too dark and I like to se what I'm eating.
*Good vegan food and wines.
*Deserves a visit!

Marike
Marike

Great!

5 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2009

I went without a reservation, which turned out to be a bad idea, they were full with reservations. However, they said I could eat there provided I finished my meal within an hour. I'm very glad that they were so helpful, as the food was really very good, and the atmosphere was great. Next time in Prague, I will definitely go here again, but I will make sure to get a reservation.

Pros: good, inventive dishes, friendly staff, lovely atmosphere
Cons: location was hard to find
Bill_hog
Bill_hog

Creative vegetarian cuisine

5 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2009

Creative and delicious dishes -- not a run of the mill type of place. Given the experience, I would say excellent value. Different themed rooms add to the atmosphere. Popular, so reservations needed.

Pros: creative, delicious, atmosphere
Cons: popular
juliej
juliej

Wonderful

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2009

Myself & my partner went here on sunday just gone.
I would recommend to book ahead as it was busy. I booked ahead via the email on their website. I booked the star room which was very atmospheric. The food & service was excellent.

Pros: great food, excellent service, atmospheric
sarahsvati
sarahsvati

Great lunch option

5 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2009

I ate lunch here a few times while I was in Prague. The set lunch menu is generally delicious and always a great value. Plenty of vegan options.

maryb
maryb

what a nice place!

5 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2008

loved the atmosphere of this restaurant. had really amazing food here, excellent service, and cheap! great place to spend an evening!

Pros: atmosphere, price, food
ataylor
ataylor

Best in Town!

5 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2008

In a recent visit to Prague I and my girlfriend had the chance to visit the "Clear Head" restaurant for lunch. Although the portions were not that big, the food was definitely great and I could say it is one of the best veggie restaurants I have been!!! Plus the nice atmosphere and the friendly (English speaking) staff turned the visit
into a very pleasant experience. Would go to Prague just to have this delicious meal again! :-) Make sure you have a map to find it and as other people have advised before, a reservation might be a good idea. We have also been at the Radost but it was not as good as the Clear Head.

Pros: Great food!, Nice Atmosphere, Vegan Friendly
Paulanju
Paulanju

• herbivore

Well worth visit

5 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2008

Having read previous reviews booked a table for our last night. Friendly waitress led us into an atmospheric front room. Food was excellent. Oriental stir fry for me; grilled goats cheese on bed of spinach for partner. Portions small compared with other restaurants in Prague, but big enough to satisfy and yet leave space for dessert. The Italian pannacotta was to die for. Partners carrot cake came in two big portions. I offered to help her eat some of it. What a task! All washed down with a very nice glass of wine. a relaxed, friendly eating experience. On our list of 'must visit again' restaurants.

Pros: Friendly staff, Excellent food, Relaxed surroundings
Cons: Having to remember to book, Hidden away
Jakub1977
Jakub1977

Great Design

4 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2008

The portions are little bit smaller then what I have read here. Everything tasted great and the design of the place is beautiful. We were waiting for a meal pretty long time about 45 minutes so be ready to spend some time here but its worth your time. Also make sure you have RESERVATION !!!
We didn't had one but got lucky with one last table. ;o)I had the tempeh coctail and the white creamy bean soup delicious. Next time I will visit Prague I will definatelly go to Lehka Hlava.

Pros: Food Quality, Design
Cons: Meal Size, Waiting time
gaynbarry
gaynbarry

Geat restaurant

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2008

Great restaurant and fantastic value for money. Best meal we had in Prague AND the lowest price. Very popular so booking is recommended. While we were their we saw people turned away as it was full!!!
Starters are large so can do 2 and the main courses are substantial. Staff were very helpful and all spoke English. Very taste with lots of choice. Will certainly visit again on our next visit.

Pros: Tasty food, Price, Service
Cons: Booking recommended, Lttle difficult to find in a side street
andrea
andrea

Good find

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2008

Especially in city w/minimal veg food, this is a great find. Nice atmosphere. The food was really good and the service was nice (especially for Prague). Just back from 3 weeks in Europe, so really don't recall much detail. Just recall the portions were good size and the food was delicious.

veganpiggy
veganpiggy

yum

4 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2008

i ate at lehka hlava when i was in prague and i must say, it was a pleasant alternative to standard czech food. the food was delicious - i got the bulgar risotto, the vegetables were crisp and fresh tasting and the overall meal was very light, though it was a large portion. i felt good afterwards, not sluggy like i sometimes feel after a restaurant dinner. dessert was great also - i had the carrot cake and my boyfriend had the custard with chocolate, both delicious!! i would definitely go back.

Pros: healthy, reasonably priced, tasted fresh!
Cons: no tap water >:(
daniellinor
daniellinor

Great food, cheap prices.

5 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2008

This was our favorite restaurant on our trip. We ate a two-meal lunch for about 4 euro each. We had a cauliflower soup and a sproutburger with a pumpkin purée and it tasted really good. The interior was fashionable and original. Strongly recomend this place!

Pros: Taste, Low prices, Cool design
Cons: -, -, -
ml3369
ml3369

Not very good really....

3 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2008

We ate here in June 08. We'd read elsewhere about how good it was. In fact, it isn't. Okay, if you are vegetarian and in prague then you don't have a lot of choice, but we were led to expect this was something special. In reality the place is small and studenty, the waitress surly and perfunctory, the food passable but not great. Mainly mexican-type - burritos etc - but not done as well as a mexican. The starters were just peculiar - a weird aubergine pate was just acidic and oniony - served with hard lumps of bread. Both mains were very cheese-heavy and bland tasting. Beer (bottled) was unchilled and so warm. Atmosphere is non-existent. Very disappointing. You won't go hungry, but it won't be a treat either. Last visit we went to Radost and it was much, much better.

mfoy
mfoy

service hit or miss

3 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2008

Some of the service we had was not very good (could just be a bad day for the server), but also some of the service was quite good.
Small number of vegan options - they are clearly indicated on the menu.
The food was good.

Pros: food
Cons: service
Haggai
Haggai

Best in Prague

5 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2008

This is with no hesitation the best place in Prague. We came back there four times in a single week!!
The decoration is beautiful and peaceful, the menu elaborates on the ingridiants of all dishes in English (plus vegan / vegan-option marks), the staff is friendly and English speaking, the food itself is excellent and healthy. On top of everything else - it's all very well priced. We hardly never passed the 18 Euro line for a two-course meal for two people, including wine!
It is true that out of a very wide menu there are only reletivly few vegan options - but each and every one of them is really good (the spinach and tampa pasta is highly recommended).

Pros: Briliant food, welcoming staff, good value
pansypuss
pansypuss

Excellent place

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2007

I (mostly vegan)went to Prague the week end before Christmas with my husband(veggie) and four omni friends. I persuaded them to try Clear Head the first night. We booked in the morning as with six of us it seemed a good idea. We were in a cozy room just inside the entrance. The price was very reasonable, the choice good and the food excellent. The service was also very friendly. Everyone really enjoyed the evening and the food. The next night we went to an Indian restaurant which cost three times as much and had no vegan food as all was cooked in ghee. Surprisingly the next night my friends suggested we go back to Clear Head. We didn't book as it was a Monday and we planned to eat very early (17.00) we only just got squeezed in so ALWAYS book. Hope to go back next time we visit Prague.

Pros: Good food, friendly service, no smoking
Cons: Need to book in advance
lesoranges
lesoranges

Turned-down twice in a row!

2 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2007

Good location near Narodni Divadlo. It has always been hard to find veggie food near this area. We used to live in Prague and are totally loyal to Albio, but we decided to try Lehka hlava for a change.
We were extremely disappointed when the restaurant closed early when we first tried to go there for dinner. (We were starving vegans and they couldn't offer us ANYTHING to eat!) We really lost it when they couldn't accommodate us (only two people!) the next night because they were expecting some Buddhist leaders to come and eat. I understand that it's not typical in the CR to wait for a table if a restaurant is full, but it's hard to believe they couldn't make room for just the two of us!
When we finally got to eat there at lunch, the food was great, but it wasn't worth the strife. If you are traveling and want a sure thing after you trek all over the city looking for a vegan meal, don't depend on Lehka hlava. Try making a reservation, perhaps?

Pros: Food
Cons: Closed before posted time, Opened after posted time, Not accommodating during busy hours
Lilbear
Lilbear

• non-vegetarian

happy again!

4 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2007

I don't know what it is for me but all is well when i am in a vegetarian atmosphere. I followed a vegan diet for several years and usually try to be more veggy than anything. You always feel at home in a good place like that.

But I have to admit that I was really not impressed by the taste and texture of the coconut soup or the tofu salad. The dressing was tofu as well but was wayyy to salty for my taste. Maybe I had expectations.. I don't know but I was not feeling the food I ordered. Good portions.
I would go back though cause surely there are other menu items with taste.
The service was Excellent and Atmostphere perfect for what I needed!. Good fresh tea and very resonable price.

O an location.. make sure to take the address with you because it's on a little side street that's not on most maps.. so whereever you think it is.. its pretty much around back.. just walk around there it's beautiful anyway.. and you will find it!

Pros: Atmosphere, Service, Portions
Cons: Flavour
kamikazekid
kamikazekid

Love it!

4 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2007

We loved Clear Head so much we ate there twice in one day!! Lunch was in the orange room - if it's a remotely miserable Prague day make sure you have either the hot apple or pear juice! Good soups, really nice surroundings and from certain parts of the restaurant you can view the kitchen. My friend's salad tasted slightly 'on the turn' and the chhef was only too happy (and quick!) to make a replacement. Seitan risotto was fantastic - wish we were staying longer so we could have gone back! If you want to go in the evening you'd be advised to book as it can get full fairly quickly.

Pros: Great food, Good atmosphere, really helpful staff
LucasKop
LucasKop

clear head, empty stomach

2 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2007

Unfortunately they wouldn't serve us, since they close in the afternoons despite their signage and website claiming otherwise. We went out of our way to eat here only to be met with a cold welcome and insistence that they weren't open between lunch and dinner hours. We understood that the warm food section would be closed but they wouldn't offer us anything. So be warned, although they might say they are open there's a good chance they might just decide not to serve you.

Pros: none
Cons: service, a little further afield
  • Jaydip Jaydip

Dear Lucas,
    I am Martin, owner of the Lehka Hlava - Clear Head Restaurant.
    I am sorry for what happened to you. I think there must have been some misunderstanding. My idea of what might happen is that we did last week (on Tuesday) a celebration party for the staff and really closed for public from afternoon till midnight. This happened for the 3 times from the time we opened 2 years ago, otherwise we are open every day 11.30 till 23.30 with a warm kitchen pause from 15.30-17.00. Could you please tell me the exact date when this unpleasant event happened to you? If you hit the Tuesday I am sorry for misunderstanding in our explanation. In other case I can check with my staff, what was the reason for their behavior and prevent similar things in future.

Thank you for your effort in letting us know.
    With respect
    Martin

tinkerbell
tinkerbell

Great place

5 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2007

We found this resturant (eventually), through this website. Really glad we didn, we actually went back a few times, each time the food was great. Lovely ceiling too!

Can be tricky to find but, do try - you won't be disappointed!

Pros: great food, helpful staff, great value
Cons: difficult to find

What a gem (August 2007)

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2007

Found this place from this site and it was brilliant. Food & drink excellent. One member of party not vegetarian but she really enjoyed her choice. Best place we found during the whole of our 5 day trip. Highly recommended

Pros: really cheap, friendly staff, nice atmosphere
Guest

A clear head and a very happy, full tummy!

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2007

This place is truly exceptional and I wish it could be transplanted to New York (and given the wealth of great vegetraian cuisine here, that is high praise!) Reservations are definitely [and justifiably] recommended. Nice staff, beautiful & distinctive decor, and the food is fresh, bountiful, delicious and cheeeeep--a two-course dinner plus the absolutely SUBLIME drink-that-eats-like-a-meal "Aztec Hot Chocolate" ran about $12 USD total. What a gem--AND I discovered it through this very site!

Pros: fabulous & flavourful, inexpensive,huge portions, close to many attractions
Cons: easy to miss, reservations recommended
capn
capn

Clear Head April 2007

5 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2007

A weekend in Prague and a visit to the famous Clear Head restaurant. I loved it and so did my partner. For a grand total of 20GBP we ate two good sized mains, 2 sides, 2 drinks and 2 desserts. I knew Prague was cheap but the standard of food put Veggie London to shame. I doubt we could have eaten so well in London for double that amount of money.

If you're in Prague, definately do mot miss Clear Head.

Pros: friendly, ambience, cost
jacqui
jacqui

Fantastic food!!

5 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2007

We went here for dinner and had a fastastic "South American" themed meal. We were seated in the blue starlight room, the waiting staff were friendly and spoke some english, and we had an appetiser, starter, main, desert, coffee and a bottle of wine for about £10/head. Food was beautifully presented, quickly prepared and delicious. We liked it so much we went back the next night to try the regular menu. Wonderful place, you must try it if you are in Prague! We didnt make reservations on either Saturday or Sunday, but were easily fitted in.

Pros: Excellent Food, Great value, Nice staff
button
button

Very friendly

4 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2007

Nice place with a modern yet earthy atmosphere. The waiter was really nice and spoke such good english I thought he was from the states. The menu doesn't have a ton of vegan options, but what they have is clearly marked. I went to the brunch buffet on Sunday too, and the was delicious and had lots of vegan options.

Pros: Really nice staff, Vegan options marked, Nice atmosphere
boglin
boglin

Great little place!

5 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2007

We arrived an hour late, due to me getting the time of our reservation wrong. Staff were apologetic and helpful, despite it being my mistake, and managed to fit us in. We really enjoyed the food, and there was a good range of clearly marked vegan dishes and vegan options. Delightful ambience, and a good range of drinks too. Good sized portions - we were too full for pudding - and incredible value. If you're going to Prague, you should eat here - we'll be doing so the next time we're there!

Pros: lovely staff, delicious food, perfect for vegans
Adnan
Adnan

Better looks than food

3 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2006

Nice place to meet a friend for a drink and maybe some starters.
As a restaurant it doesn't live up to its impressive interior.

Poundie
Poundie

World class restaurant

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2006

Excellent, delicious food; fresh and healthy. In my opinion, this is one of (if not the) best vegatarian restaurant in Prague.

Pros: good tasting food

Dear Owner and Manager of Clear Head - Lehka Hlava:

Thank you for being a Plus FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Prague page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2013/08/13