A down-tempo coffee house and bar. Full menu and thin crust vegetarian and vegan pizzas. Serves breakfast til 5pm and the full lunch and dinner menu from 11am-2am. Offers many options made without gluten including pizza and various bakery items. Car parking requires a fee. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Pizza, Bakery, American, Take-out

First Review by rainfall2008
Koshka
Koshka

Great Food!

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2014

We had lunch at City O City and it was delicious! We had Chile Relleno and the Savoury Waffle. Both were good, but the Relleno portion maybe a bit too small (and only 1 small Chile). As a dessert, we had the lemon meringue tart which was so tasty! The desserts are a bit expensive (we payed 7 dollars for the tart), but it is worth it!

Pros: Big choice for vegans , Location
Cons: Dogs are not allowed inside (there was a dog lined
jhawk
jhawk

Fun Food and Atmosphere

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2014

Ate at this fun Downtown establishment three times and am looking forward to another round the next time I am in Denver. Cold Filtered Coffee is always good, Seitan Wings - half Buffalo and half BBQ is the way to go, Tortilla Soup was full of flavor, Soft Pretzel was soft, why did I leave Denver without trying more?

Pros: Open Patio, Good Music, All is Tasty
Cons: Parking can be troublesome
Nuflood
Nuflood

Fun fun fun

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2014

The staff was great, The music was nice and the location is great.
I had the pizza with daiya which was pretty good. Would come again if I can.

tauberl
tauberl

Good food, original menu

4 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2014

I had the tempeh bacon hash with gravy, which was great if a little salty, and the sweet potato cinnamon roll which was good, though not in my top breakfast pastry experiences. There were a lot if great looking things on the menu, I would definitely go back to try more if I were here longer. Service was a little slow, but they were pretty busy. Worth a visit!

Pros: unique menu, good food, nice staff
Cons: service a little slow
Hisgirlhoward
Hisgirlhoward

My Denver Fav

4 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2014

Really great selection of vegan items and very tasty. So far my Denver favorite. Vegan baked items to die for. Price is median.

Pros: Great vegan selection, Great taste

Malin
Malin

awesome place!!

5 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2014

This place is a mix between a cafe and a resturant. Really nice place!! I had the savory waffle and it was amazing! It was huge and had a vegan cheese sauce that was out of this world. They also have kombucha on tap, but I was not so excited about the flavor.

NatalieHunter
NatalieHunter

Yummy breakfast

4 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2014

We had a really good breakfast at this place is awesome for vegans and gluten-free as well. They had different options like savory waffle choices yummy Yum

veganamanda
veganamanda

Trendy, food is OK

4 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2014

This place is very trendy, loud rock music playing and all the wait staff are heavily tattooed. I think this would be a good place to go for dinner with friends to grab a drink. I went at lunch time. The wait staff was nice, but not always professional. The food was just so-so - not particularly flavorful. I would try it again.

Pros: Cool vibe
Cons: Wait staff not professional, Food wasn't particularly awesome
pandapharmd
pandapharmd

Food was excellent; service was ok

4 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2014

I tried this place a couple years ago on a trip to Denver and was not disappointed with my meal. I enjoyed their vegan pizza but the place was so loud I couldn't hear anything my friend was saying while we sat next to each other and our service could have been better.

Pros: Great food
Cons: Noise, Slow service
mbentz
mbentz

loud, but good food

4 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2014

Good service, good food. I tried the veganized pizza, but it had big slimy tomato slices on it that weren't too good, the crust was tasty though.

Cons: really loud
stevensmara
stevensmara

Soooo Good

5 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2014

We aye here twice while in Denver and both meals were amazing. For dinner I ordered a vegan pizza which was full of flavor. I also had breakfast here and the vegan waffle with vegan yogurt and fresh fruit is to die for!!!!! Not to mention the service was phenomenal

Pros: Service, Waffle, Atmosphere
dreadiesnlight
dreadiesnlight

Garbage

2 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2013

When asked on sugar and refining process and on other ingredients like theie natural flavoring used in bakery. The staff was very unfriendly and unknowing of what type of Sugar was used and also in what went into the cakes? The staff at the restaurant is very unwelcoming. They are all putting off a vibe that they are cool or some thing like that? Yes it is a hip place and yes its probably cool to work there, but these staff members are on another level of ridiculous. Many times have i gotten a snub reply on a simple queston like what type of cookie is that? You dont have to be a dick to pour some one a togo coffee either. The place is very over priced in my opinion giving into the its expensive to be vegan. they don't help by charging 7 dollars for the smallest slice of cake you will ever have. This place has good food but the price and the staff are the most biggest turn off. Over 3 for a cookie and 7 for a slice of cake is crazy when you can go to beet box, down the street mind you, and get a real vegan cookie for a buck thats bigger! this place needs to be put in czech. For there only being a few options for vegans in denver this place should really consider laying off the hipster crowd and really promoting to mother earth and a better way of life instead of cashing in on it.

Cons: expensive, staff is lame, wrong intentions
PennyU
PennyU

Great Place to Stop

5 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2013

We stopped for a late lunch on our way to the Vail Valley. I tried the Waffle of the Week which was BLT and it was super good. We liked the food so much that we stopped for breakfast on our way back. Nice choice of scrambles, veggie meats, biscuits, and other breakfast fare. Coffee was good, too. We were impressed and will return every time we can.

Pros: Great food, Many choices, Easy to get to from I 25
mblack
mblack

I love this place

5 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2013

I am a former Denver resident contemplating moving back. I discovered this place in July of 2011. Once I found it, I kept going back and back for more and more! Innovative, exciting salads and sandwiches, and the desserts were crazy good. I came back to Denver after the remodel in June of 2012. The remodel / expansion took a bit of the cool vibe away in my opinion, but it still delivered the yummy satisfaction of the previous year. I was overall surprised at the lack of vegan / veg restaurants in Denver / Boulder. This place (not so much their sister restaurant) really hit the spot.

Pros: Everything is good here!, Good un-pushy staff
Cons: Could offer more GF options.
Labylala
Labylala

delicious food

4 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2013

Cool and hip atmosphere. Although that food came about 45min later after ordering, the yummy taste made up for the long wait. This happen on a week night.

Pros: delicious , good prices
Cons: late food arrival
guinevereanne
guinevereanne

Wonderful Food!

4 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2013

WOW! The food here was wonderful! It is half bar and half restaurant. They had a great variety of food, and drinks. The food was more relaxed and less fancy then their sister restaurant. The booze was all vegetarian.

I highly recommend the ho-ho like thingies. While there someone bough then out. Thankfully I had already purchased one and it was great!

Pros: excellent food, Friendly Staff, Varied food and drink
Cons: loud, little parking nearby
JulieV
JulieV

Deeeeelish!

4 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2013

City O' City is super duper tasty and super vegan friendly. I wish they were straight up vegan cause they do it SO well but alas they are not. They have an incredible vegan hoho cupcake that will create a crazy addiction so beware! They also have vegan bloody mary's (awesome since many contain worcestershire), beer mosas, grilled or tempura coated shishito peppers and amazing vegan gravvvy!!!! Basically every time we are in Denver we hit this place up. Go there, now!

Pros: lots of vegan options, friendly staff, atmosphere
Cons: usually there is a wait
lshell7
lshell7

Went 2 nights in a row!

5 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2013

Had to go back the second night my hubs and I were in Denver, there were too many options we wanted to try! It was also our anniversary and they gave us a free slice of their oh-my-god-this-is-vegan????-Chocolate Mousse cake. I think their food is delicious, there's plenty on the menu for a vegan to play with, all of their desserts are vegan plus the effort to have lots of gluten-free options is attractive. I wish the drinks were less expensive, but found the food to be reasonably priced.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly waitstaff, All desserts are vegan
Cons: Pricey drinks, Definitely louder in the bar area!
saysuan
saysuan

City O City

5 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2013

Two words. Seitan Wings. Yum!

Pros: Excellent food, Nice vibe, Reasonable prices
DougMcCallum
DougMcCallum

An OK Place

3 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2012

The food was good. After having been to some "superb" places, this one gets a my highest rating. The staff was pleasant but not exceptional. Between us, we had two different entres for dinner. The linguini dish was heavy handed on black pepper as seasoning and the other was just so, so. The atmosphere is definitely "bar". Dark and noisy. I do like to be able to talk to my dinner partner.

It is worth a try and we will likely go again. A second trip might revise my opinion.

Pros: great tea selections, menu is diverse
Cons: extremely noisy
swoosh55cat
swoosh55cat

Loved it!!

5 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2012

This place has a great atmosphere and delicious food. I've been there for brunch and dinner; both were great. You have to try the Seitan Wings! :)

Longstride
Longstride

• non-vegetarian

Fantastic Food and Atmosphere

4 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2012

The food and atmosphere at City O' City are superb. My wife and I both loved our entrees (Udon Noodles and Kimchi Bowl), and the food and alcohol menus had so many other options that we would have liked to try. We also enjoyed the pleasant urban walk from our hotel to this centrally located restaurant.

However, the host stand began our visit on a sour note, with unfriendly staff that left us waiting for fifteen minutes before offering us the two-top three feet behind their stand that was open when we arrived (in addition to several other available seats).

If you can make it past the host stand without punching someone, you should be very pleased with your experience at City O' City.

Pros: Savory Food, Excellent Beer Selection, Great Atmosphere
Cons: Host and Hostess
allikatk
allikatk

Worth Trying

4 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2012

I wanted to try Ciry O' City for their breakfast selection, as there are many places that offer vegan option for lunch and dinner. I had a vegan 'omelette', and it was good, but in no way resembled an omellete. My son had the Power Waffle and it was delicious. There are a lot of intriguing items on the menu like biscuits and gravy, and I plan to return. The biggest drawback for me was how noisy it is. It was hard to talk with out shouting. All in all, worth trying.

Pros: lots of vegan choices
Cons: noisy!
dbWizard.24.7
dbWizard.24.7

Pizza Superb

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2012

A family place with great choices for everyone. Our pizza had the freshest mushrooms and spinach with an outstanding mixture of 3 cheeses. The pizza was more than adequate for a party of 4.
The outsides may not look like much but don't let that stop you if you are after the BEST vegan Buffalo wings in Colorado.
The staff was very friendly and quite interested in our needs.
Thank you for a pleasure that was a highpoint of our vacation.

Pros: Great pizza, Wide choice of beverages, Very friendly and efficient staff
Cons: From me - none
DeborahSalazar
DeborahSalazar

Excellent Food!

4 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2012

City O' City turned out to be a great choice for dinner. It has a casual/relaxed atmosphere but definitely more serious than a "coffee shop." The menu has lots of choices for Veg and Vegans. We tried the BarBQue "wings" made of seitan and they were really good!!! Still trying to figure out how they got the texture so perfect! I love the mac and "cheese" dish...that's what took us there. This restaurant uses some great cheese substitutes. Friendly, professional wait staff and a great list of wines, beers, ales. I would highly recommend!

Pros: Food, Creative, Trendy Ambiance
Aemt
Aemt

City OMG City

5 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2012

There are already a ton of great reviews here, but I loved City O' City so much I wanted to add another. I was in Denver for a week on business, went to CoC one night and loved it so much I went back again the next. The Fritto Misto is awesome (battered & fried mushrooms, broccoli, artichokes! and pickles!!!), and I was also extremely pleased with the Waffle of the Week, which during my visit happened to be a giant savory celery root waffle with a sweet beet reduction sauce and sauteed green onions. Holy cow. I'm still salivating over that waffle. I also ordered some steamed greens and a savory biscuit to take back to my hotel for breakfast the next day -- both quite delicious.

If you are in Denver, you MUST go to City O' City!

The one other thing I will add is that the back half of the restaurant is kind of dark and has more of a bar feel -- if you aren't into that, ask to sit in the front.

Pros: Excellent vegan food, Good value, Lots of Colorado beers
Cons: Back of restaurant is dark, You may have to wait a while for a table
mcgyver68
mcgyver68

Late night, hit the spot.

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2012

About the only thing worse than looking for vegan food in an unfamiliar city, is to do so late at night. Enter City-o-city. Yes the acoustics are terrible, even at 23.30 it was kind of loud, daytime must be worse. But the food makes up for it.

I had something called "Tofu Schnitzel". They take seasoned, dried tofu and bread it in pretzel crumbs, then pan fry it. The finished product is laid over a bed of seasonal vegetables and seasoned pan fries. Then the sauce... incredible. It tasted like garlic, lemon, butter sauce, which is quite a feat for a vegan place. Not sure how they did it. For me, the mark of a well prepared dish is one where no extra salt or seasoning is needed. This dish was perfect, first bite to last. To add anything to it, would be to ruin it. I loved it, every last bite.

Also ordered a $12 22oz bottle of organic English Hard Cider, a perfect match for a perfect dish.

The ambience is decidely hipster, through and through. But curiosly they were all quite friendly and joyful, not the typical hipster angst and arrogance towards "normals". This applies to both the staff and patrons. No matter how many piercings and tats, everyone was just super nice.

This place has earned a spot in my permanent file of places to eat around the country. Do try it.

Pros: Exquisite flavor, nice people, tasty drink selection
Cons: Parking is bad, kind of loud
Sabrina H
Sabrina H

tasty goodness!

5 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2011

I have only eaten there a few times when in Denver for work, and have loved everything so far. the baked vegan goods are delicious too, especially the cinnamon rolls!

4moby
4moby

Fried Pickle, oh yes!

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2011

Thankful for the small things, living an hour away so I won't be tempted in going there every night. I loved the pizza, the fried pickles, the sweet potato nuggets, the agave mustard, onion rings. Wonderful bakery selection and coffee. This place makes being a vegan in a non-vegan world worth it. I hear they are expanding and that can only be a good thing.

Pros: excellent food, wonderful baked goods
soyorganic
soyorganic

Good place

4 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2011

This place is good. I recommend the cashew ricotta on any pizza if you are vegan or not vegan for that matter. We live in Denver and come here often. Also a good place if you like good beer and like to hang out and socialize with friends. I also recommend the vegan ceaser salad as well as the buffalo seitan wings with the teriyaki sauce.

Pros: all-vegetarian, several vegan options, good drinks
Cons: sometimes crowded on evenings
peacenik
peacenik

Wish we'd tried it sooner

5 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2011

My SO and I had always wanted to try City O' City but would always just end up going to Watercourse instead. We were recently forced there by neccesity due to Watercourse closing at 9:00pm. We went to a late dinner with another couple visiting from Austin. We were told we had a 45 min wait so we took seats at the bar and ordered drinks. We actually got a table in about 20 minutes. The hip, pub-like atmosphere is amazing! We ordered 2 large vegan caesar salads and a build your own pizza of mushrooms, red onion, pineapple and jalapenos with red sauce and Daiya cheese. It was really good, but I prefer Follow you Heart when it comes to packaged cheese. Daiya is good when it is either cold or very hot and melty but when it starts to cool it can get a gummy texture that sticks to your teeth, imo. Our friends ordered a Margherita; olive oil, roma tomatoes, fresh basil and house made mozzarella, which they loved. They are not veg but they really enjoyed our vegan pizza. I was so glad we had come here instead, I feel like it has a much cooler vibe than Watercourse, which feels like your typical sit down restaurant. I know our friends were impressed. It was very loud but we had no problem conversating once seated at our table. On our way out we picked up 2 cookies, ginger molasses and chocolate chip. Tasty cookies to cap off an amazing meal.

Pros: Excellent Food, Hours, Hip
Cons: Wait time, Parking
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Will try again...

4 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2011

City O' City was definitely much better the second time around. The buffalo seitan wings were the same as their sister location (Watercourse) and they were super good. Per the waitress' recommendation we ordered the Urban Cowgirl pizza - highly NOT recommended by us, it just wasn't good. We also ordered the Animal Lovers pizza - we definitely loved this one!!! We also ordered one pizza with the cashew cheese made in-house and the Daiya brand cheese, the Daiya was better by leaps and bounds. Good restaurant, very hipster, but good overall. We will return.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 11, 2010:
I came here for a midnight snack but it was a little busy so I opted to get a dessert to go instead. The woman behind the counter recommended the cinnamon roll, so that's what I ordered. I was not too happy with the product and just didn't think it tasted good overall. I think this dessert may have been a fluke, as my bf stated he's eaten here a few times and really like it, so I will surely give it another try (and will update my review) during my next visit to Denver.

Tigra220
Tigra220

O' My Hero!

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2010

Speechless. Have you ever had food that was so good that you just sat back and stared in awe at it's fabulocity? Well I did just that with City O' City. I arrived hungry in Denver @10pm on a Sunday evening, & luckily their kitchen is open till midnight. I ordered teriyaki seitan wings, buffalo seitan wings, French fries, Frites Gastriques, Beer-Battered Onion Rings, & Sweet Potato Jalapeño Croquettes. They have a list of sauces from which you may choose. As a BIG lover of sauces (almost & sometimes more than the dish itself) this was an epic win! I chose the chimichurri, garlic lemon aioli, & chipotle mustard sauces. The 2 latter sauces were my absolute favs. SO GOOD!! The buffalo seitan wings are unbelievably slap-somebody good! They will hold their own in any taste test against flesh-death wings. I want to hug whoever created this dish. The perfect coating, texture, & sauce that has kick, but doesn't leave you gasping for water to extinguish the fire. I need this mass-marketed ASAP! And do not pass up those sweet potato jalapeño croquettes. I'm surprised this isn't a normal soul food staple. It's very good! My omnivorous family had the animal lover's pizza w/vegan cheese and they loved it. I called in my order and it was ready when I got there. I cannot wait to catch a sale fare back to Denver; I'm going straight to City O' City!

Pros: BEST BUFFALO WINGS EVER! ANYWHERE!, Awesome array of sauces, Large portions
earthville
earthville

Sound and fury signifying great vegan eats...

4 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2010

We agree with the general consensus here: the pizza is great, the vegan bakery items are delectable, and the din is really far too much.

5 ELATED COWS FOR FOOD: The vegan pizzas here include many quite successful inventions, such as a fig and rosemary pie that works surprisingly well. I'm not a fan of any of the packaged vegan cheeses (which they do offer), but fortunately they also have a homemade cashew "ricotta" that is vegan and superlatively good on the pizzas, IMHO. The buffalo seitan is tangy and delicious (and very rich; i can't eat a whole side by myself but it's great in a wrap or shared as an appetizer). The desserts and other baked items (100% vegan) are extraordinary and worth the trip all by themselves if you have a sweet tooth. The place is exceptionally vegan friendly.

4 HAPPY COWS FOR PRICE: We find the prices mostly quite reasonable considering the quality and the portions - especially for the gourmet pizza pies. If you do drinks, appetizers, and desserts, the bill can add up, but the main dishes themselves are generously priced.

3 1/2 CONTENTED COWS WITH LOW BLOOD SUGAR FOR SERVICE: In our experience, the service is very warm and friendly and we always feel especially well cared for by the staff - and that's something we value highly when dining out. The only downside here is that the place is often so packed that it can take a minor eternity for the hard-working servers to make their way around for orders and checks. When they do come around, they're wonderful, and it seems to be improving over the years. We think the place is simply understaffed with delightful people.

1 LONELY COW FOR NOISE: We would love to eat here more often, but the acoustic situation really damages the vibe for us: we can barely hear each other talking and our ears ring for a while after we leave. It's quite unpleasant. Simple solution: turn down the music so people don't have to shout. Even better, go a step further and hang some textiles on the walls to dampen some of the racket. Advice to the noise-sensitive: come during off hours or get take-out.

Pros: Fantastic pizzas and vegan bakery items, Some organic ingredients, Reasonably priced
Cons: Service can be slow when busy, LOUD! LOUD! LOUD!, Parking can be a challenge
hoffmans2
hoffmans2

Romantic

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2010

Something about visiting this place late at night is romantic. It's also a great place to just hang out with friends. The food was great. The variety of vegan baked goods was excellent and so was the vegan pizza. The salads were huge and we couldn't even finish ours!

bhenrich
bhenrich

Vegetarian Bar- what a concept!

3 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2010

I visited City O' City by accident. I eat at Watercoarse every time I go to Denver because I love it, so when I had some free time in Denver the other day I plugged Watercoarse into my GPS and it took me to City O' City instead. I guess they are owned by the same people and GPS thinks that COC is Watercoarse. I recognized the name from Happycow though and went in for lunch.

City O' City is a bar first & foremost that just happens to offer only vegetarian food. I think it is a brilliant concept personally, and the menu has a great variety of vegan & vegetarian items. They have recently started offering lots of entrees with items from their own gardens which is also very cool. Bakery items are all vegan. At first I was disappointed that they didn't offer the portabello reuben I love at Watercoarse, but I ordered the daily special and was very satisfied. It was a strawberry spinach salad with beat and nuts and local goat cheese. They grew the spinach and beats in their own garden. It was delicious and huge. I also had one of their pistachio cupcakes- a bit too sweet for me but good. I noticed that they were careful to mention any non-vegan content to everybody that ordered anything with dairy in it. I like places where I can sit at a bar since I travel alone and the staff was very friendly and I really enjoyed my lunch experience. There is no parking, so you have to find street parking- challenging for lunch but probably easy in the evening.

Pros: Super friendly staff, Full bar, Very casual- great for travelers
Cons: Bar-like restrooms, No parking
VeganNinja
VeganNinja

Meh.

2 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2010

The service at City 'O' City is usually poor. The atmosphere is too dark and so loud you cannot have a conversation with someone next to you, let alone across the table from you. This is definitely not a family-friendly or kid-friendly eatery. There is often a a poor selection of baked goods even though the restaurant is located next door to the bakery that provides them. If you order your food vegan be sure to emphasize vegan... we have had to wait extraneous amounts of time while our food was remade. Only go to City 'O' City when you have money and time to spare since you will need plenty of both.

Pros: Vegan Friendly
Cons: Poor Service, Too Dark/Too Loud Environment, Food Often Arrives Not As Ordered.
soulsolace
soulsolace

The vegan's answer for a midnight snack

4 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2009

My Fiance and I visit Denver annually to see some friends and go backpacking in the region. The dangerous thing about this en devour isn't backpacking in the wilderness however, but the fact that our friend's apartment is only a block's walking distance to City O City! This splendid little diner, which is open till 2 am every night except Sundays, (though Sundays are still generously open until midnight) is the perfect little retreat for friends to chill out together over good drinks and some hearty snacking until the wee hours. City O City is a division of Denver's famous vegetarian restaurant Watercourse Foods so it shares the menu of heavenly 100% vegan desserts and other baked goods. City O City is a great source for Vegan pizza with all kinds of yummy and unique toppings and sauces to choose from. City o City is also another source for finding Watercourse Food's highly addictive seitan buffalo wings. While their menu is not complex or extensive by any means it suits the atmosphere of this gritty little place downtown. Comfortable and calming despite its busy commotion late into the night.

Pros: Nice atmosphere to just hang out, Nice late night hours, Tasty eats
Cons: limited menu
SJKind
SJKind

For GF or family friendly, try...

3 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2009

City O City is fun, but reviewers who say it is loud and not for children (or grandparents) are right. You should definitely try City O City but...

If you are looking for a family-friendly pizza place in Denver that offers gluten-free crusts and vegan cheese, you really ought to go to Beau Jos. Basically all of us in Colorado love this place (they make pizzas with whole wheat crusts, and conventional crusts and cows' cheeses as well) but they sweeten the crusts with honey (gluten free one doesn't have honey) so skip it if you don't eat honey.

Another family friendly place is Watercourse, under the same ownership as City O City. There is no pizza here, but the place is bigger, lighter, quieter than City O City and offers 100% veg food that all can be made vegan, as well.

Something both Watercourse and City O City have that others don't is vegan dessert! Cookies are cheap and delicious but you'll have to fork over more for the beautiful cupcakes and cream pies. When the sweet tooth strikes, their desserts are totally satisfying.

(Do not go to City O City when you're in a rush. My husband and I got delicious lattes made with almond and soy milks right away after we ordered, and then waited forever for a check while our servers putzed around the bar talking with regulars.)

Pros: Vegan desserts, Many milk alternatives for coffee, relaxed atmosphere
Cons: not for families, very noisy, staff slow slow slow
  • kindlizard kindlizard

ought not review or mention other places in a review of this place, submit the other place at the bottom of the city page

erinkmcintosh
erinkmcintosh

YUMMERIFIC!!! :)

5 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2009

I've been living in Denver for 4 1/2 years and sadly JUST found City O' City! I'm vegetarian recently gone vegan and this MORE then satisfies my taste buds!!! It has a fun bar atmosphere and EVERYONE will love their food! Their Seitan Wings are AMAZING and I will never understand how the ranch that comes with them is vegan, D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!! I'm also a HUGE fan of their La Chagall pizza, you can have it with regular or soy cheese, but I actually prefer is with no cheese! YUM YUM YUM! Don't forget to grab a peanut butter cookie on your way out either!!! HAVE FUN!

Pros: taste bud satisfaction, fun atmosphere, reasonable prices
maliciouskami
maliciouskami

Nice atmosphere, great selection

5 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2009

I will have to agree with the other reviews--this is not a family-oriented place, this is definitely a hipster eatery. It is also very loud and crowded--but again, it's meant for people to go and socialize, not sit down for a quiet dinner. It is very dark, but also there are couches and lamps. The entire baked goods section is vegan--and the selection is enormous. I stopped in for a break while walking around downtown Denver and had a gigantic chocolate chip cookie that was almost the size of my face ($2) and a soy latte ($3). For five bucks I had a nice snack and got to warm up inside and check out some of the local scene. Will definitely go back.

Pros: Atmosphere, Baked Goods, Near the museums and vintage boutique
Cons: Crowded, Parking could be a problem
carey
carey

Great food

5 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2009

For a vegan and a vegetarian making due with Taco Bell and the like on a 48-hour road trip to Denver, finding City O' City a mere four blocks from our hotel was an unbelievable treat. We ate there several times during our stay, and everything was delicious. We had the vegan pepperoni pizza, buffalo wings, one of the wraps and a salad ... and tofu/veg bacon breakfast sandwiches more than once for a quick breakfast. Getting hot, wrapped and ready-to-go vegan food doesn't happen every day! We liked the veg bar/restaurant atmosphere. Food portions were generous, too.

Pros: excellent food, good portions
Cons: music a bit too loud at night
truepeacenik
truepeacenik

An ode, a lament

4 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

yes, I'm riffing on their own slogan.
City O' is loud, and that's because patrons are yelling over the music. A simple fix, in my eyes. Although I'll never go in rush times again.
Best seat is in the window. You can work (I did on my note book, the spiral kind with paper) the staff eventually sees you. Get their attention when you arrive, this is not a high service atmosphere. But that also mans they'll not hustle you out the door, either.
I'm beyond tired of pizza, but the buffalo seitan wrap is amazing. They have happily swapped coleslaw for ceasar each time.
GT Kombucha is on offer for $4 a bottle.
The scene in the neighborhood overall isn't little-kid friendly. The expectations are that this is more a young adult place.
Parking is metered, so ride a bus to Lincoln and 13th, or train to 16th Street and walk over.
Don't forget the Watercourse bakery items. You can have the cookie. You are walking to the train.

Pros: worlds moste awesome buffalo seitan
Cons: noisy
sweetszlove
sweetszlove

more toppings

3 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2008

Service is usually bad, but the pizza is good. The vegan cheese sauce they have is yummy. The toppings on the pizza are pretty skimpy, and the atmosphere can get annoying.

Definetly not kid friendly.

Pros: vegan pizza
Cons: bad service, no parking, loud
solaced1
solaced1

Great food, Romantic Atmosphere

5 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2008

We went on our first trip to Denver. I LOVED the dark romantic decor, and the menu was unreal. We had a vegan pizza with Buffalo ranch dressing, seitan sausage, and tomatoes. The beer selection was impressive to say the least. The menu claimed that all pizzas could be made vegan. Our non-veg friends even loved it. Let me just say that we almost forgot our leftovers in Denver, and we turned around and went back for them...

My mouth is watering just thinking about it...

Pros: awesome food, kind beer, great atmosphere
Cons: no parking
Guest

Nothing short of a disappointment

2 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2008

I wish I could say that City O' City rivals that of its predecessor Water Course Foods. But not only is that not the case, City O' City left us hungry and disgruntled.

We went there on a recommendation that the food was good, and the eagerness to have some vegan gluten-free pizza. Instead, we left with our wallets slightly lighter - having to have paid for parking - but our stomachs still empty. City O' City should be renamed Dreary O' Dreary. It is dark, depressing and bleak. Like attracts like, as the patrons were in much the same condition as the location. If you are going with a family, then you better pack some snacks and be prepared for glares and grumbles if your kids even make a peep. The staff was neutral, venturing on rude. The patrons were huddled in their corners, with their laptops, not wanting to be disturbed. Since this is still a somewhat free country, no one can be condemned for wanting privacy. However, there should be some type of large sign saying "families not welcome." Ultimately, we left, hungry and disheartened: tired of the slow, unwelcoming service, and even more so of the glares from other patrons because our 10 month old daughter was making a few peeps here and there. One person even looked at her as if she should be sentenced to the dungeons for verbally expressing herself. That said, families should look elsewhere.

Cons: dark lighting, not for families, neutral staff
rainfall2008
rainfall2008

great place

3 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2007

Try the almond milk latte, tastes like a regular, but you don't have to worry about any dairy. Also, the raspberry and ginger beers are delicious. Didn't try the food, but I'm sure it's excellent.

Pros: friendly staff, great study place
Cons: dark lighting

I love City O' City!

5 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2007

Best vegan pizza ever! And best vegan ceasar salad too! I wish I had one in my home town, I would eat there every day!

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of City O' City: