CLOSED: Cisheng Vegetarian

English descriptions on the menu. Chinese name 慈生素食菜馆, address 越秀区净慧路76号商区. DEC 2013 REPORTED SHUT. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Buddhist
76 Jinghui Road, Yuexiu District (/near Guangxiao Temple)
Guangzhou, China
86-020-81072970, 81072976

First Review by Bob Sultan
jonny jagnew
jonny jagnew

A simple, satisfying feed in a friendly place

4 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2013

I found this place quite easily after following the directions in Bob Sultan's review. And it turned out to be a lot like how that review described it (good reviewer!).

I went on a Sunday evening, and it was quite quiet, mostly small groups of women dining and chatting. It is bright, and smells of joss sticks like a lot of the places in this area. There is a little Buddhist shrine and a TV playing what seems to be the Buddhist equivalent of 'Songs of Praise'.

The waiter showed me to a table, he's very smiley and welcoming. He's speaks a little English, and wants to, as well! First he shows me a notebook with their selection of teas, I pick Oolong. He then showed me the two menus, exactly how Bob describes, English with no pictures, Chinese with pictures. He stands over me as I look, which is a bit strange but I'm OK with it, and after about 30 seconds he recommends a dish of mixed mushrooms, that flat tofu stuff I've become accustomed to while here, carrots and celery, which I order with some rice. Total price 34 RMB. It was quite tasty, nothing special, like a lot of the food in this city, but it was a large portion and after eating it all I felt satisfyingly full without feeling bloated.

I ordered more tea, and sat for a while, because this really was a nice place to be in a bustling city. Like I said, I was made to feel very welcome, and the waiter even had a little chat with me about where I'm from and what I'm doing, asking if I'm vegetarian, explaining that he is too, and he's Buddhist. I'm here for three months, and I think I'll be back to sample more of the menu.

Pros: friendly staff, relaxing atmosphere, welcoming
Bob Sultan
Bob Sultan

Persistence Pays

4 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2012

I had all but given up on finding Cisheng Vegetarian. 76 Jinghui is a hotel lobby. A couple of doors to the left of the hotel I saw a storefront with a woman selling pastries and an alter behind her with stairs leading up. I asked her if this was a vegetarian restaurant and she said no, but maybe it was my poor Mandarin. Anyway she did motion for me to go ahead up, and sure enough, the restaurant is on the second floor. So, when you find 76 Jinghui, just go a couple of doors to the left and you will see a storefront with stairs leading up to Cisheng. The place is large, bright, clean, and friendly. It was pretty much empty at 7:30PM. I suspect they do a big lunch business. There is a waiter who speaks English reasonably well. There is an English menu without pictures and a Chinese menu with pictures. You shouldn't have any trouble ordering. I would say that the average dish is 25 - 30 RMB, so this is slightly cheaper than other vegetarian restaurants I have been to in Guangzhou. I splurged on a dish of three different types of mock meat for 53 RMB. It looked good in the menu, and it was excellent. I was alone, but this certainly would have filled two people. I brought the leftovers back to the hotel (ask to have it wrapped to go: dǎ bāo). I had a nice talk with the waiter, who is a buddhist, an excellent dinner, in a quiet place with a peaceful music and a Buddhist ambiance. I walked back to the subway feeling great.

This restaurant about a half block left of the Guangxiao Temple entrance on Jinghua Road. It is near the Pu Ti Gan Lu Fang vegetarian Restaurant which is inside the temple grounds and Vege Zen which is down an alley just to the right of the temple entrance. All have addresses on Jinghua Road. You won't go hungry in this area.

Just walk North on Guangxiao Road from the Ximenkou Metro stop on line 1. As you reach Jinghui Road and the Temple you will know that you are there by the overpowering odor of Stinky Tofu (chòu dòu fu) being sold on the street. You might want to try this if you haven't done so before. I like it, but it's not everyone's taste.

Pros: Good food, Peaceful ambiance, Cheaper than average
Cons: A bit hard to find

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Cisheng Vegetarian: