Vegetarian buffet restaurant, juice bar, and in-house bakery. The extended menu includes vegan dishes, has organic wine. Veg-owned and takes EFTPOS. Live music some Friday evenings. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Buffet, Organic, Western, International, Juice bar, Bakery, Beer/Wine, Take-out
72 St Andrew Street (George Street)
Dunedin, New Zealand
Closed now

Mon-Sat 11:30am-2:30pm, 5:00pm-8:00pm

First Review by mkpurvis
Winterdragon
Winterdragon
  • herbivore

Nice atmosphere and tasty food

Posted on 09 / 30 / 2014

Cozy place with nice interior and art on the walls. Great variety with many vegan options on the menu. Tasty food for reasonable prices.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Tasty food, Good prices
V
V

Great vegan and alternative diet options

Posted on 07 / 14 / 2012

These guys are great. Best option to cater for a wide range of diets in Dunedin, and delicious with it! Lots of vegan, vegetarian, dairy and gluten free options. Range of ethnic styles represented (although they definitely do Indian best). Very reasonably priced (you can get a meal for under $10 still).

I really wish they could stock rice milk or similar so I can have yummy smoothies, and would make more dairy-free deserts.

Pros: healthy, good food, reasonably priced
Cons: too much soy, group gets meals at wildly diff. times
alittlericeshoot
alittlericeshoot

WOW! Best vegan cafe in NZ

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2011

Everything on the menu is vegan (except for a couple of burfi sweets with dairy in them, but they are marked). Everything I have tasted there has been delicious and very reasonably priced. They have a huge selection (4 page long menu) with coffees, juice, smoothies, chai, heaps of biscuits and cakes, a buffet selection, pizza, savoury scones, curries, salads, pasta, samosas, wraps, sandwiches...all vegan and all delicious! And they also offer gluten-free options for most things on the menu. Oh, and did I mention that everything is organic? Plus they have a sound system and do live music on Fridays. :)

Pros: great atmosphere, healthy, delicious

rosiemozo
rosiemozo

Fully vegan!!

Posted on 12 / 24 / 2010

I love going to this place - mainly because everything on the menu is vegan! It's the only place in Dunedin like it! The food is yum, i am yet to try the buffet... dead keen :p
I always make the mistake of ordering a soy latte, which is a mistake i hope to never make again. Enough said.
Overall a lovely cafe well worth going to, vegan or not!

Pros: Pricing is reasonable, everything on the menu is vegan, yum!
Cons: Soy latte...
Petesternz
Petesternz

Ummm... well, it was vegan

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2010

I can see why students love this place, and if I lived in Dunedin and had few options, I'd go there too. But let's be honest, the food I had did not compare well to other places. My soup was watery, and samosa bland. Most of the other food did not inspire me. Perhaps the off-the-menu options which I did not have time for were better, but nothing here - aside from the friendly people and fair pricing - made me want to return. Even my smoothy was lumpy.

Pros: fair pricing
CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

Good food

Posted on 03 / 05 / 2010

Mostly vegan, but a few vegetarian items on the menu. Mains include corn fritter stack, tofu-veg stir-fry with rice or noodles, Indian curries, pizza, organic vegan wine and beer . Wright's white and red wines and Hawkhurst Estate red: Green Man beers. "Tummy Tempters" (appetizers) include pakoras, spring rolls, samosas, filo roll with roast pumpkin, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, corn, served with tamarind sauce. I had a $11 fritter stack, $9 bottle beer, $12 tofu-veg stir-fry with rice. They also have a hummus plate, many other good-sounding items, soymilk smoothies, juices, Fair Trade Cuban coffee, breakfast tofu scramble. Most items available gluten-free. Also desserts.

Pros: flavourful food, good service
Cons: closed Sundays
nikkidynamo
nikkidynamo

Delicious Breakfast

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2009

My husband and I had an impromptu road trip to Dunedin this week to watch the sun rise one morning and found Circadian Rhythm when we were looking for a place for breakfast.

They opened late - 9am, but they were nice enough to let us come inside and take a seat while we waited for them to set up (it was freezing outside!).

The coffees were excellent (fair trade, organic) we both had soy lattes and they were great. For breakfast we had the Tofu Scramble which was soooooo great! It was served with lettuce, tomatoes and ciabatta bread and it was delicious. A great serving size too, I couldn't finish mine and we were both full well into the afternoon.

We really wanted to come back for lunch and try the Pakoras but we were just to full to even consider it. The owners were really friendly and lovely as well.

I just wish this cafe was in Queenstown so I could go there all the time!!!

Pros: Great Value, Excellent Food, Friendly Staff
Cons: Dunedin is 4 hrs away!
octopusgrrl
octopusgrrl
  • non-vegetarian

Love these guys!

Posted on 08 / 19 / 2009

I go here nearly every two weeks and the food, atmosphere and staff are always great. I haven't tried the all-you-can-eat buffet as yet, but the pakoras with tamarind sauce (6 for $3.50) are always fresh and delicious, and the mango lassi is to die for. They also have lots of gluten-free baked goodies. The food prices are very affordable and they offer a range of fair trade coffee, teas and alcoholic drinks as well. Highly recommended!

Pros: great food, friendly staff
Leoz
Leoz

Affordable and yum!

Posted on 06 / 29 / 2009

Circadian Rhythm is a great little restaurant. Very casual and child-friendly, their food is delicious, affordable, and the serves and generous. In particular, our whole family loves their pakoras - gluten-free, vegan and yummy!

Service is generally fast and efficient, and we've never known them to make an error with ordering. If you want hot food super-fast, go for the all-you-can-eat vegan buffet - it's basically a thali, it's always ready on the hot stove, and you can fill up very cheaply.

We've been regulars at Circadian Rhythm ever since moving to Dunedin, have recommended it to friends and family, and know that it is popular with veggies and non-veggies alike.

Pros: Fast, Vegan options, Gluten-free options
Cons: Only one high chair, Sometimes not enough tables, so busy!
mkpurvis
mkpurvis

Highly recommended

Posted on 06 / 15 / 2008

The owners here are extremely friendly. They offer a number of Indian dishes. Most of their food is vegan, but they can make lacto-ovo veg dishes for you.

Pros: good value, friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Circadian Rhythm: