Ci Yan Vegetarian Health Food

The menu comprise a brown rice set and around 5 other main dishes that change daily, usually Chinese or Western, plus a soup of the day. Call ahead if you'd to know what's offered. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Western, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by wengkit
Thetruthpaint
Thetruthpaint

Very Nice Place!

5 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2014

Friendly People, sympathic place. Gold healthy food. Also great juices in the fridge!
But only daily menus, 3-5.

Pros: Healthy, Tasty, Friendly
Cons: Few Options
devilry
devilry

I LOVE the changing menu

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2013

Yeah, it kinda sucks that if you fall in love with a certain dish, you won't know when you'll be able to eat it again, but that's all part of the fun. Most of the dishes are really solid overall, so you're good no matter when you come. Of course, you can always call in advance if you like, much I much prefer to be surprised :) the portions are a little small so I almost always eat 2 meals, but the food is healthy and tasty. Easily one of my favourite veg restaurants.

bullfrog
bullfrog

Small Homey Restaurant

3 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

Map position is wrong (should be at the other end of Smith st).
Place is small and the atmosphere is nice and very relaxed.
Very small menu changing daily so experience may vary.
No ovo, lacto or onion so it may be limited for some less strict eaters.
Overall worth it as not many veggie options in the area.
12sgd for soup, brown rice set of the day and a drink.

Pros: Friendly
Cons: Limited Choices

Kris G
Kris G

Fells like home

5 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2013

One of the best experiences while visiting Singapore. Very small "restaurant" with yummy food. The owner will treat you exceptionally making sure you are enjoying your meal. You can basically feel like entering someone's home as rest of family watch soap operas. I loved it.

Nikki1801
Nikki1801

Good local place

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

It was very busy when we came here for lunch, with a mix of locals and foreigners. The owner was there and an expat helped us decipher the 3 options we had as they weren't described on the board! I can't remember exactly what we had but I do remember enjoying it, and big portions!
We bought a glass of home-made juice and it was delicious,worth the $2 for sure. There weren't any muffins on offer which was a shame, but we'll certainly go back when we're next in SG :)

Pros: friendly owner, big portions
JacobHicks
JacobHicks

Great value and unique!

4 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2012

We ate here for dinner and, in the end, were very happy! I scoped the place out in the afternoon after reading the other positive reviews on HappyCow and, yes, it is a small menu and very small capacity but this just adds to it's charm.
Don't come here to expect 5 star service or any maître d' greeting you and pulling out your chair! The owner curtly asked us to hold on while he served other customers when we first arrived, and then, as he walked back to the kitchen, asked us what we wanted! Think the Seinfeld "Soup Kitchen" chef with a genuine heart of gold and love for vegetarian food.
I had the tempeh "Hamburger" which was excellent and my girlfriend had a brown rice and vegetable dish which was a bit bland but okay. We also had the vegan muffins for dessert which were freshly baked and delicious!
At $18.50 for our combined meals and drink this is definitely excellent value and I'd highly recommend it to anyone wanting a genuinely unique lunch or dinner. It was like a friends dad cooking up some great vegetarian food while literally watching tv soap operas with his family in a nicely decorated home!

Pros: Unparalleled Value for Money , Great Burgers, Friendly and genuine people
Cons: The service could be more welcoming
kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

Decent cheap lunch option

4 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2011

Popped in for lunch- there were only 4 options available: cold almond tofu, cold noodles, vegetable spaghetti and a brown rice set.I settled for the spaghetti. It was chaotically busy, but once I finally managed to order, the food came quickly. As is often the case in Asia with ordering western dishes, it was spaghetti jim, but not as we know it. It was more like a tomato and carrot soup with spaghetti floating in it. I have to admit I was wary at the sight of it, but it was suprisingly good. It was a very big portion, and at s$6.50 for meal and a drink, I had no complaints. Recommended for a cheap lunch eat- seemed to be shut when I went past at dinner time.

Pros: Cheap, Good location, Big portions
Cons: Limited menu, Very busy
gemma
gemma

Best Vegetarian Restaurant in SIngapore

5 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2010

This restaurant should be named the best Vegetarian in Singapore! I have tried many different restaurants, and still i am left wanting to return to Ci Yan Vegetarian. The food is cheap, unbelievably delicious, the menu changes every day - so there is no way you can get bored of it. Completely Vegetarian, MSG free, one of the very few places to serve brown rice and wholewheat noodles. They also sell vegan cookies. Yum!!!
The owners are very sweet and deserve this title!!!
Call 6225 9026 to hear todays menu (voice recording)

Pros: Menu always changing, 100%healthy .. Not oily or deep fried, Friendly staff
Cons: Not having the wraps available everyday
schumacher62
schumacher62

the best option in chinatown

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2009

i was lucky enough to stop in while the brown rice nasi lemak was on the menu. its a very labor intensive meal, and i was told it is only offered every two months! everything about it was delicious. especially pleasing in asian vegan food was the fact that it was not oily, in fact the several items comprising the dish seemed to be cooked with little to no oil at all.
also offered and sampled was the excellent black walnut vegan muffin. well worth the 2.50 cost. i also had a delicious local brewed bottled bamboo leaf drink. total cost of my meal, 9 singapore dollars. an amazing value for hand made food anywhere in the world.
since im only here a few days, ill be sure to check in each day for either lunch or dinner. living out of a hotel can be hellish, but not with such quality food at hand. truly home made.
healthfood and vegetarian bars, aminos etc available in a sort of a health food store as well.

Pros: super friendly owner and son., indoor or outdoor seating
Cons: located on a very busy "food" street, people have issues with the sliding door
ilovevege
ilovevege

Cold Noodles

4 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2008

Their menu changes daily and you may have to wait a while to enjoy a 2nd time the delicacy you like.
Their Cold noodles is splendid, tasty and great for a warm weather. Strongly recommend to try if you are lucky to visit the shop when it is on the menu of the day...

craigmc
craigmc

healthy food

4 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2008

I would say this is a good lunch option.
Set meal was about sg$5. i had the noodle option, which tasted really good, and really healthy.
The man who owns it is worth the money alone, as he is so nice and welcoming.

Pros: good value, nice staff, healthy
Cons: limited menu
wengkit
wengkit
  • raw

great cheap organic in chinatown

5 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2007

daily menu : 1 brown rice set (vegeis different everyday), one noodle dish & one dessert. The dishes changes everyday. Rojak is good usually on Sat. Burger is delicious,the patty is made of chickpeas amongst other things, usually on mon, wed, fri. tried the green curry noodle once really good

Pros: excellent food, excellent value , organic

Dear Owner and Manager of Ci Yan Vegetarian Health Food: