One of the vegetarian Indian restaurants on Drummond St, the small Indian enclave 1 minute walk from Euston and Euston Square Stations. Offers a large veggie buffet at lunchtime and on Sunday. Confirmed open July 2010. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Beer/Wine
124 Drummond Street, London, UK
North West London, England NW1
020-73880604

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Enfieldian
Hummelelfe
Hummelelfe

Lovely Indian all you can eat buffet

Posted on 10 / 03 / 2013

I only discovered this restaurant on my visit to London a few weeks ago (thanks to the Happy Cow app), but I will definitely go there every time I return to London.
The food is really great and there are so many different dishes, all of which are absolutely delicious. Although it is Indian, it is not too spicy, just the right amount of spices. There are a lot of curries, salads, rice, bread and on Sunday they had sweet, thin pancakes, which were really gorgeous.
There is also dessert for free, fruit and yogurt, which is both really tasty.
The staff is very friendly, they always ask whether one likes the food and when I came back to eat there again after a few days they recognised me and said they were happy I had come back.

Pros: Excellent food, Very friendly staff, Amazing choice of dishes
Cons: often very busy
emzie1983
emzie1983

Quick and tasty!!

Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

I went here with a friend for an evening meal. We were there for 7pm and it was very quiet, only about 5 other customers, so had extremely quick service.
I had to ask which items on the menu were vegan, and the waitor was very helpful. Turns out almost everything is vegan, or can be made vegan, so there was plenty of choice.

We started with poppadoms and pickles (only the raita isn't vegan), and the food came so quickly, we hadn't even finished these! For mains, we shared a dosa (large with good flavour) and a vegetable curry (it was top of the menu, but can't remember the name!)which was nicely spiced, although mostly carrot rather than the advertised 'exotic' veg!
There were a lot of waitors around, so the service was really good. They were continually topping up our water and were quick to bring the desserts menu and bill.

A really nice little restaurant, with a convenient location in London, plenty of choice and good value for money. I'll definitely be returning to try some more items on the menu!

Pros: Very quick and friendly service, Good vegan selection, Good value
Cons: Vegan options aren't identified on menu
imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Excellent

Posted on 04 / 23 / 2013

I cam here for an evening meal with friends (including omnis) and found delicious food with plenty of vegan choices. I had an amazing masala dosa myself, and the others who came with me were all very happy with the food. My only minor gripe is that vegan options are not marked on the menu so you have to ask for them to be pointed out to you. However, as the staff were all so lovely and friendly, this wasn't a problem.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Vegan options not marked on menu

gin_and_tonic
gin_and_tonic

Lunch Time

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2013

I went here with some colleagues for lunch. They were a bit skeptical at first, heading towards Euston rather than down town. That soon changed when we entered.

Its quite a small place, and can feel busy, but we were able to get a table straight away. There were about 20 main dishes to choose from, some hot some cold. It's a buffet, so you can pick and choose what you want. The staff offered us drinks but we had tap water, which wasn't a problem. (Some places like to sell you drinks or bottled water.)

We all went up several times to refill and try new things. The consensus was that the food was very good.

There are a few things I haven't seen in other places. There are also a few things that can catch you out. The fresh mango salsa, was in fact fresh lemons with a sauce. Very nice, but not what I was expecting!

There are several deserts. Gulab jaman, a keer (rice pudding), fresh fruit and a gram flour based dish.

The staff were friendly and not intrusive. The atmosphere is relaxed, with a diverse lunchtime crowd. All of this for £6.95 is a bargain.

Pros: Good food, Lots and lots of choice.
Bow
Bow

Hits the spot every time

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2011

Chutneys is consistently good, and offers delicious food and great value for money in a convenient location. By a long way the best of the Drummond Street restaurants, and second only to Rani for all the Indian restaurants I have tried in the Greater London area.
Their lunchtime buffet is superb. The variety is endless, and every dish is different and delicious. Be prepared to try some new and different things, although familiar old favourites are there too. The food tastes healthy and balanced - lots of flavour, not too much oil. The staff are very helpful in pointing out which dishes are vegan (most of them). You can eat a three-course meal with seconds of everything for a ridiculously small £7.95, making it outstanding value, especially as the quality is high.
If you are going in the evening, the à la carte dining experience is also highly recommended. They do the best dosas I have ever tasted, and everything else I have tried has also been good.
Unsurprisingly, it can get a little crowded - unless you want to go on an intimate romantic date, don't be deterred. Chutneys will not disappoint.

Pros: Delicious food, Outstanding value for money, Good location
Cons: A bit crowded
margypargy
margypargy

Best Veggie Curry Buffet in London

Posted on 01 / 02 / 2011

I've been frequenting Drummond Street restaurants for over 20 years (Diwana, Ravi Shankar too) but Chutneys is still my favourite. It's the most comfortable of the 3 veggie restaurants on the street and there are loads of vegan options on the buffet including one or two starters, three or four mains, at least one dhal and half a dozen or more really interesting salads. The vegan dessert is only fruit but I never have any room for that anyway! Their chutneys are fab, especially the garlic one and the coriander one. The food is fresh, properly spicy and the dishes on offer are different every time. They continue to evolve - the salads were added four or five years ago, presumably to keep regulars interested. I love this place! London would be way poorer for vegans without it.

Pros: Food is fab!!!, Choice, Chutneys
Cons: Can get busy
beitme
beitme

wonderful

Posted on 12 / 26 / 2010

The buffet is an excellent deal. With a wide selection of health favoring tasty food, it's surely one of the best around. Try some (or all) of the nearly dozen sauces that will leave you're taste buds desiring more days later. Staff are friendly and willing to explain dishes to those interested, which is useful for those with special diets. This is a prime stop for me.

Pros: excellent value, healthy cuisine, tasty
Ruby X
Ruby X

Five cows indeed

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2009

My boyfriend and I went here for lunch. They have an all-veggie lunch buffet. Most things were very yummy. Some were a bit on the spicy side though, but not as much as I expected (or feared ;)

The buffet was authentic, very large and included some desserts. The service was very swift and friendly. The price was ridiculously low for an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Pros: yummy!, great service, great price
louis
louis

Enjoyable experience

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2009

A pleasant restaurant with a welcoming atmosphere. Plenty of vegan options and staff very patient at running through the menu and telling me more about what various dishes are like. I tried a very tasty starter, some type of spiced balls and ordered a main that whilst very nice wasn't to my personal tastes.

The waiter was lovely and noticed that I wasn't too into it and very kindly brought me a complimentary spicy chick pea dish that smelled and tasted wonderful. As others have said incredibly handy for Euston and a pleasant place to eat and wait for your train.

Pros: tasty, very reasonable prices, proximity to Euston Station
*manon*
*manon*

All you can eat buffet!

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2009

Good and cheap. Curies were very tasteful. Wonderful sour mango chutney. Nice apple salad. Ate more than i should have :-), so skipped the desert buffet.

Pros: good food, low price, all you can eat
Alyson
Alyson

Tasty and good value

Posted on 03 / 08 / 2009

I ate here on a work trip to London. Being close to Euston train station it is very convenient. Although the menu isn't labelled with vegan items the waiter advised what was suitable. Great flavours and good value. There weren't any vegan desserts, but I was given a complimentary fruit salad instead. As a single female I didn't feel uncomfortable here. Highly recommend.

Pros: tasty, good value, near train station
Cons: menu not marked with Vegan
Stevie
Stevie

Chutneys, London

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2009

When I travel to London my principal point of entry and exit is Euston train station. Thus with Drummond Street being right beside the station, the veggie restaurants there have had a lot of my business over the years.

For vegan veggies the best of the Indian eateries on Drummond Street is Chutneys. If you ask the waiter what on the menu is vegan veggie you will get an on the spot answer on what is and what isn't. The food is tasty and reasonably priced. Also with seating available for up to 120 you'd have to be pretty unlucky not to get a table.

This is a popular restaurant and it's not difficult to see why.

Pros: Vegan veggie friendly, handy for Euston station, tasty reasonably priced food
manicpianic
manicpianic

Bargain lunch time special.

Posted on 12 / 03 / 2007

I would highly recommend Chutneys for their lunch time buffet special which they run between 12 noon and 2.45pm (so get there early). For the bargain price of £5.95 there are numerous tasty dishes from starters like spicy potato balls, onion baajis, vegetable samosas, pakora, with a selection of pickles and chutneys (try the to-die-for coconut chutney) followed by main courses such as the lentil and kidney bean daal, cabbage curry (tastes lovely despite sounding like it wouldn't), vegetable curry, chick pea curry, potato and cauliflower curry, etc. with a selection of pillau rice and nan breads. For dessert there is fresh fruit salad, an Indian rice pudding, and gulab jam. Because it is a buffet, you can help yourself to as much food as you like and the friendly staff are always replenishing the empty dishes. I don't think you can beat the food or the price. In face we eat so much at lunchtime that we don't want to eat for the rest of the day!

Pros: Good value, Great selection, Tasty food
Enfieldian
Enfieldian

Great Buffet

Posted on 07 / 13 / 2007

Cannot be beaten on quality of vegetarian eat as much as you like buffet at extraordinarily low price. Always great value.

Dear Owner and Manager of Chutneys: