Chunfeng Songyue Lou

Founded in the Qin Dynasty, Songyue Lou follows an ancient vegetarian culture to serve up veggie favorites in Yuyuan. The vegetarian food includes three series: traditional cuisine, health care cuisine, popular Shanghai cuisine, with nearly 100 kinds of dishes. The restaurant is located INSIDE the YuYuan Garden Bazzar. Seats 150. The YuYuan Garden area is also known as Old Town and is located just south of the Bund and Yanan Road. Nearby lines: Bus 736/576/581/715, 11/24/64/126/66, 11/24/64/126/66 under the Yuyuan Garden. Chinese Name: 春风松月楼 Chinese Address: 老城隍庙百翎路23号. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Beer/Wine

First Review by bethyang
PaulineChiangMai
PaulineChiangMai

Great restaurant

4 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2014

It is, indeed, inside the Yu’Yuan Garden Bazzar / Old Town, but not inside the YuYuan Garden. The first floor has mostly inexpensive noodles and dumplings. The second floor is more expensive but still very reasonable with a pretty extensive menu and very tasty food.

Pros: excellent food, large selection of dishes, good value
selena
selena

Cheap, convenient

3 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2013

This place was a cafeteria style cheap and (somewhat) cheerful spot. We only went to the first floor, didn't realize upstairs was different. Went for early lunch, just pointed at what we wanted and someone told the front desk clerk, where we paid. She was pretty brusque (tossed our change across the desk) but the cooks and serving lady were fairly friendly. Not super clean, but pretty cheap: we got four snacky dishes (a couple of types of dumplings, spring rolls, deep fried pancakes) and each dish was 12Y.

Pros: cheap, convenient
Cons: bit unfriendly, not super clean
psiphi75
psiphi75

Not our best meal

2 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2012

There are two parts, ground floor for the "locals" and the top floor for the tourists. It appears the ground floor prices are significantly cheaper than the top floor.  But the ground floor the menu was in Chinese only.  The food did not look that appetising, and it was fatty and gluggy.

Pros: close to gardens
Cons: gluggy, tourist prices are inflated
nielswied
nielswied

well another eatery, but vegetarian!

3 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2012

Yeah, recommended for a quick bite. It is not bad, the fried food is very oily, and it is not clear at what time they open or close at dinner time. I did not manage to get the information though I am not a dumbo.
Relax, have a soup or some noodles or rice or tofu and enjoy. But do not exspect a posh restaurant.

Pros: quick, veggie
Cons: fried food oily
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Dirty and stale shop... urghh!

2 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2011

First of all, no idea who wrote the description about this restaurant but anyone who reads that and goes to eat here will be horrified upon arrival. The restaurant is split into two levels. The floor level is revolting... the level of hygiene is way below par, making any hint of appetite disappear rather quickly. We were ushered upstairs, where the a la carte menu is apparently offered (or actually we think they might use it for foreigners, since the floor level is disgusting). Upstairs was less horrific, but we were already quite worried by this stage - wonder what the kitchen looks like... hmm. We ordered just enough to fuel us until the next stop - some bowls of noodles and a plate of vegetables. All were quite sugary-sweet although not altogether unpalatable. The hygiene concerns were all too much for us though so we were out of there as soon as we could get it all down. We were in the area again a few weeks later and joked about going in for some more.. not likely to happen in this life ;)

Cons: low hygiene standards, limited menu, zero freshness

Chavaleh
Chavaleh

Unappetizing

2 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2011

I should have probably listened to the other reviewer, but was hoping that they had improved since. They haven't. We ate upstairs, and the food was really vile. And overpriced. It's dirty, the downstairs doesn't smell too nice, and the waitress could barely be bothered to give us the time of day. If it were not in a central tourist location, they would have gone out of business long ago.

Pros: Location
Cons: Overpriced, Bad food, Dirty
smithintaiwan
smithintaiwan

Still Great

4 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2011

I just had lunch at Songyue and it was worth writing about. The restaurant itself, at least the first floor, is nothing special, but I think the food is really worth it. The massive Luohan Noodles (just say luohan mian!) was full of lotus seeds, taro, nuts, mushrooms and the usual bits of gluten and tofu. At 25Y, it's a pricey noodle dish, but worth every fen.
Recommended!

Ashni
Ashni

busy place with basic food down and more choice up

3 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2010

You can reach this place by taking the metro on line 10 to Yuyuan.

It is fast food style downstairs with a basic menu in chinese only. You pay at the till and are given good within a few minutes.

Upstairs there is an english and chinese menu with greater choice and air conditioning at a greater price.

We ate downstairs. We had rice noodles in mushroom soy sauce with a few greens for 10 yuan and 4 spring rolls for 10 yuan. I liked the food, it was fairly basic but tasty and the lady serving the food was so friendly and helped me make my order at the till as I could not communicate at the till. They also had bean soups, dumplings and buns downstairs.

Pros: quick if you want, friendly
bethyang
bethyang

Disappointed

2 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2010

My visit to Chunfeng Songyue Lou was extremely disappointing. Considering the restaurant has been in business for years, it should serve very good food. And, in fact, several years ago I did have a bowl of Monk's Noodles there that was quite ok - not great but ok.

There are 2 floors. Downstairs serves simple fare plus noodles. Dishes are served on the second floor. We planned to dine on level two but the atmosphere was so dismal and the absence of staff and diners was discouraging. So, we went downstairs which was relatively busy. We ordered stir-fryed noodles and some dim-sum type foods in little steamers. Everything was awful. The noodles were incredibly oily and the other foods were inedible. I should add I've been in China for a long time and am used to oily dishes. I also love tofu, seitan, (wheat gluten) and other veggie foods. I'm not a newbie when it comes to eating Chinese vegetarian food.

I think the owners are putting little effort into this business. It's in the middle of the YuYuan Bazzar and a continuous stream of tourists come and go - many don't get the chance - not that they would want to - to return the 2nd time - so business is ok - the owners are making money. I will not return.

Pros: location

Dear Owner and Manager of Chunfeng Songyue Lou: