CLOSED: Chuch Bistro

Re-opened Nov 2012 after months of closing and is billed as all vegan bistro with table service and a take-out counter. Affiliated with ChuChai, its more upscale veg dining restaurant. Prices around 5-9CDN for starters and 10+CDN for meals. Spring 2013 began offering wine and therefore no longer allowing bring-your-own-wine; also no longer serving western food. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Asian, Fusion, Beer/Wine, Take-out
4094 St. Denis (Duluth & Rachel)
Montreal, Quebec
514-843-4194

Open Tue-Sat 11am-11pm.

First Review by BadassJB
Babette
Babette

Good place

Posted on 10 / 22 / 2013

Although I am disappointed they no longer offer Western/Comfort food tapas like vegan poutines, burgers, etc., I have to admit that the food served at Chuch Bistro is still tasty. Not a place to go when you are on a budget.

Pros: Friendly staff, Very good food
Cons: Small portions, Pricey
Carrot_Stick
Carrot_Stick

Good Food

Posted on 10 / 04 / 2012

NIce bistro like atmosphere. Lunching here is always fun. Ultra modern decor with deli-like cases featured prepared foods that are either reheated in the microwave or simply served cold.

Good place for a quick lunch.

raphalla
raphalla

Simply Sweet Thai food!

Posted on 06 / 04 / 2011

We went there during warm weather. The whole restaurant was like a sauna. i asked for to sit nearer to the door as we were assigned a seat at the inner part of the restaurant, hence it was warmer and with less air ventilation. The waitress said, there is no air-con, so it is the same any where you sit! I insisted and eventually we got a place nearer to the door. They do not have child seat, only a boaster chair without safety belt. The food portion is small and over priced. The food, even with the label of two chillis, tasted sweet than spicy. The tom yam soup which i came for (really difficult to find vegetarian tom yam soup any where else), taste just sour, even though it was supposed to be sour and spicy as in Thailand. The fake chicken with brocolli thing, not sure what they called it, tasted chinese food rather than thai. Don't go there if you are looking for something REAL Thai.

Cons: Food, Price, Servic & Ambience

kath90
kath90

Completely Underwhelmed

Posted on 08 / 14 / 2010

I was excited to eat at Chuch my first night in Montreal, but the experience left much to be desired. The prices are so overpriced for the small portions you receive. My wonton soup and eggplant chicken were decently flavorful, but all the main dishes were so greasy and now I read that they microwave everything? Horrible. I didn't like that I had to pay for a small side of brown rice. Luckily, I found much better vegetarian options the rest of my trip.

Pros: Friendly staff
Cons: Small portions, Overpriced
  • TRaeCH TRaeCH

They do not microwave everything. There is a lot of confusion as some of the reviews below belong under ChuChai - a related, but separate establishment, serving Chuch's food.

Poppy Seed
Poppy Seed

AWESOME!

Posted on 05 / 07 / 2010

Everything on the menu was vegan (according to the waitress). And there are many many items on the menu. Just check out their website! The Chicken with Peanut Sauce was AMAZING and it came with this crispy fried spinach. The papaya salad wasn't very exciting but all the fake meat dishes were yummy! They also had a deli case full of various delicious to-go foods. The prices were not exactly cheap for the portion sizes. However, pretty much all the food I tried was very flavorful and worth it! This will be one of my first stops next time I'm in Montreal!

Pros: flavors, extensive menu, fake meats
Cons: price
Ken4057
Ken4057

Ugh

Posted on 12 / 21 / 2009

Absurdly overpriced, microwaved, mediocre and unsatisfying portions. I would like that hour of my life back pleez.

Go to the wonderful Yuan instead if you like mock meats. They have a massive store with a freezer in the back that sells mock meats to take home, too.

Pros: decent mock meats
Cons: microwaved, absurdly overpriced
thelink
thelink

Quick buffet or order off the menue

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2009

We had dinner at Chuch once three years ago while on holidays in Montreal and really liked the food. So we decided to go there again while in Montreal this June.

Three years ago we ordered off the menu which had plenty of vegan choices. This year we wanted some food in the middle of the afternoon so the kitchen was closed and only the buffet food available.

There were enough vegan choices and despite being re-heated in the microwave the food tasted really nice. I especially loved the curries.

Sarah Jo
Sarah Jo

Church

Posted on 07 / 31 / 2009

Visiting Montreal from the UK I was looking for a vegan friendly resturant and was really impressed with Church. the range of food was great - plenty for vegans. There is a lot of fake meat on the menu, which I personally don't like the idea of, but there's plenty more besides - tofu, dumplings etc. The staff were incredibly attentive, they were knowledgeable about vegan food, and a table was easy to come by - I don't think you'd need to book except at very busy times. The food was well prepared, the chef can obviously cook, and I actually found the prices very reasonable. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Pros: Attentive staff, Well cooked food, Nice atmosphere
lbatesfr
lbatesfr

Nice location

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2009

I agree with the previous reviewer that Chuch is pricey and the portions were not large, but the patio is nicely located for watching people walk down Rue St. Denis so I guess you pay a premium for that. The food was good though. We highly recommend their award winning appetizer made of leaves. It has a Thai name, which I can't remember, but we were amazed how good it tasted!

Pros: good food, people watching
Cons: tad pricy
  • Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi Lbatesfr, I liked your review. I'll have to try that app. made of leaves that you wrote about.

naranator
naranator

Lots of Choice!

Posted on 06 / 13 / 2009

Chuch has a huge menu with many options to choose from. The green curry with 'chicken,' coconut milk and basil was absolutely delicious, as was the yellow curry with 'beef.' Prices are a bit high though, especially since the curries don't include rice. $2.50 for a tiny bit of rice on top of the $15 meal seems a bit much. We spent about $50 including the appetizer and were still hungry when we left.

Pros: Variety, Tasty
Cons: Price
Ilovecows
Ilovecows

Good but expensive

Posted on 05 / 11 / 2009

I really like the food at Chuch. The variety of mock meat they have is amazing and it is quite tasty. I agree that it is expensive and the portions are small.
Other than that when I have vegetarian friends visiting Montreal, I send them to Chuch because I believe it is a one of a kind vegetarian restaurant. It is worth trying it at least once.

Stardient
Stardient
  • non-vegetarian

Ok but $$$

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2008

This is a good take out or someone who wants to have a fast eat this is the place. However you might want tocheck your prices before you order as they can add up quickly. We went to have dinner for two this evening and it cost us $60. A bowl of rice cost $3.
Don't get me wrong the food is tasty and fast. I love the veggie chicken with peanut sauce and crispy spinish. This is a must try dish.

Pros: Fast
Cons: Don't put the microwave there hide them
philjdomm
philjdomm

same ol chinese

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2008

same old asian fusion but lack the authenticnism.
they thing i test the most, is pad thai they typically drenched the pad thai with super msg sauce, as usual. not impress.

BadassJB
BadassJB

Disappointed

Posted on 08 / 03 / 2007

This place was not the highlight of my recent trip to Montreal. The food all looked appatising, but they microwaved it, which kind of makes me queasy typing it. However, I don't waste food, but the quality of the prepared food diminished once they microwaved it. The textures tasted off, and mock meats tasted rubbery. Let this be a warning: Don't eat from the prepared microwavable section. Microwaves Suck!

Pros: Hidden dinning areas, Nice Staff, Good 'looking' food
Cons: Microwaved, Unbalanced temperatures, Top 40's music
  • TRaeCH TRaeCH

Based on the contents of your review, I am quite sure that you ate at ChuChai - located next door to Chuch. Chuch is upscale vegetarian dining while ChuChai caters to those looking for the deliciousness of the main restaurant but without all the bells, whistles and hefty pricetag.

Guest
Guest

Simply the best

Posted on 06 / 21 / 2007

one of the best vegetarian restaurants in montreal.Honestly good stuff. Can be a bit pricey but it's soo good, it's worth it.

Pros: fast service, large menu, everything vegetarian
Cons: prices higher

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Chuch Bistro: