Serves meat, veg options available. Most dishes on menu can be adapted to special dietary requirements. Staff is aware of veg options for each dish and can make suggestions to fit customer needs. Atmosphere is a of small Asian art gallery with many artifacts brought back from China by the owner. Dishes from China as well as other parts of Asia are featured, but customers are free to invent their own dish. Open daily. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Asian, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg

First Review by scottie1134
Evolving
Evolving

Won't try again

2 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2014

I was so excited to try this place....I am typically very lenient with ratings- I think my expectations were way too high for this place-after the positive reviews I read.

The manager was very unfriendly, the waitress was very unaware what was in fried rice- she thought ranch was vegan and that it meant just no meat.

She came back and said -there is egg in the fried rice but they won't make you it without because they do it in batches....(really, I'm paying is it that hard)!

The taste was good-my wife however was not impressed and not vegan or vegetarian.

Other negatives:
I had a hair in my spring-rolls
My wife asked for no broccoli and she had lots in her lo mien
Waitress was not attentive and she didn't know what Mongolian sauce was nor did she offer to find out.

Reading over this review ... Seems kind of harsh but I'm typically very generous with ratings/reviews and am honestly very disappointed...unfortunately.

Pros: nice flavor/heat, portion size
Cons: not 100% vegan, informed staff/bad manager service, (please read review for others).
scottie1134
scottie1134

My favorite restaurant in New Mexico

4 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2013

I've been going here for quite some time. Just never had the chance to give it a review here.
The portions are big. Maybe the only asian restaurant I've ever been to, and been full at the end of my dish.
The sauces are all made fresh. So if you want extra sauce on your dish, which I always do, you're going to have a wait a few minutes for them to make it. And it is worth the wait.
While it's not totally vegan, the substitue right now is just Tofu. Either fried or steamed. The owner is working on creating his own fake meats.
Until then, I go to this place about every other week at least. The prices are reasonable. Usually about $9-10 a dish. But you don't really need an appetizer. I will order 2 dishes at some of these other vegan restaurants, and still be hungry afterwards. My favorite dish is the Teriyaki pepper tofu. It is amazing. I don't even try to make tofu at home anymore because of this place. So once they start making the fake meats...

Pros: Taste, Quantity, Ambience
Cons: not fully vegan, no fake meats

Dear Owner and Manager of Chows Asian Bistro: