Veggie restaurant with a large menu featuring vegetarian Indian, American, Mexican, Middle Eastern, and Italian food. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, International, Indian, Catering, Delivery
1035 S Arlington Heights Rd (Central Rd)
Arlington Heights, Illinois 60005

Kyleigh100
Kyleigh100

Fantastic Indian Food

Posted on 05 / 18 / 2014

My husband and I finally got to try this place out recently and I'm so glad that we did. A few of our favorite - non-veg - Indian places have closed lately and so we were looking for somewhere new, and decided it was time we make the drive to Arlington Heights.

What I love about this place is the atmosphere. The Staff is super friendly, very helpful, and welcoming. The restaurant is vegetarian but most things can be made vegan, and they are very accommodating and sensitive to that. Which is really nice. It's great to be able to walk into a place and have access to almost the entire menu right off the bat, and the menu here is huge -covering a wide range of Indian dishes from North Indian curries to South Indian Crepes.

To Start my husband and I had Samosa's and Aloo Wada which were both excellent. We also enjoyed an order of the Masala Paratha.

For his main my husband got the Pav Bhaji Uttapam which comes with Sambar. He loved it, and I took a small bite and loved it too.

For my main I couldn't pass up the Dosa, so I got the Pav Bhaji Dosa which was excellent and also served with Sambar.

Unfortunately the night we were there they were all out of the vegan desserts but that was alright. We enjoyed tea instead and had a lovely time. We will definitely be back, and if you're in the area and love good Indian food and friendly people then this is the place for you!

Pros: Amazing Food, Friendly, helpful Staff, Big Menu
Cons: A bit Pricey compared to other places, Portions tend towards the small side
debbo2
debbo2

Great Place

Posted on 01 / 14 / 2014

Great place, will make any dish vegan. Huge menu.

Pros: lots of options
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Delicious

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2012

Outstanding food and friendly, welcoming environment. Incredible menu with a vast array of selections. Almost all vegan or can be made vegan.

If money is a concern, watch what you order. Rice, roti bread, all those things are extra. To me, it is worth the high prices to eat here every once in a while but even if I lived in the area I would not come here regularly because it's simply prohibitively expensive. For two people our bill was $75 not including tip. Just be prepared to splurge or else watch the prices of what you order because it adds up.

queenbutterfly
queenbutterfly

Did not miss the beef!

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2012

I absolutely love coming here. After becoming vegan I didn't thing I would find a restaurant that I would walk away from thinking "that was an amazing meal".
But I do every time I come here. It's not fancy, very casual (a plus IMHO not having to dress up) and yes the decor could use an update. All that just helps me think I've found a diamond in the rough.
My favorites are the Premium Bhel (with green mango) with an order of Masala Paratha on the side, the Masala Dosa, and the vegetable Uttapam. The prices maybe a little high but I've paid much more for meals without at restaurants that did not give me the "that was an amazing meal" response.
And sorry evZENy, but I don't think any of my meals were microwaved, everything was fresh and tasty. I can't stand microwaves so I think I would know if one was used.
Give this place a try. Especially the Bombay Favorites, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Pros: tasty vegan, variety, service
Cons: decor, non-alcoholic
evZENy
evZENy

hoping for

Posted on 01 / 01 / 2012

It happens to be one of the closest to my home restaurants. We were so excited when we moved in the area. However, aside from the high price (mention few times), the food is not exactly perfect. As expected from restaurants with huge menus. Many of the items are frozen and then served overheated on a microwave. The chaos of cuisines for me shows a lack of strong and defined signature. Have been there 4 times so far, but never have left completely satisfied with the quality of my choices (the price of them aside).

Pros: location
Cons: price, quality
hungrig
hungrig

Good but expensive

Posted on 10 / 20 / 2011

Very large selection. Food is generally very good. I particularly like the indian nachos. Prices are high for the amount of food you receive.

Pros: large selection
Cons: service can be slow, expensive for amount you get
veganwally
veganwally

Extensive menu

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2011

For vegetarian eating one of the best in the northwest.

Pros: everything
Cons: none
mattman5116
mattman5116

Chowpatti rules the 'burbs!

Posted on 02 / 14 / 2011

The Chicago Diner might rule the city, but Chowpatti rules the 'burbs! We frequent Chowpatti and have never been let down by their food, service, or atmosphere. It's a very modest establishment and you might miss it driving by, but once you eat there you definitely won't forget it.

Pros: Friendly staff, Excellent food, Great atmosphere
Guest
Guest

A Haven in the Suburbs

Posted on 02 / 11 / 2011

We love going here. Yes, the prices are a bit higher, but you're getting quality food from knowledgeable staff. If you haven't been there before, I recommend finding the menu online first so you don't spend half an hour just trying to decide what to get. A word of warning, though: be careful when adding extras (spinach, rice, etc.) to the dishes, because the price adds up fast! It's worth it, though, this place is our haven here in the suburbs.

Lindsey
Lindsey

Probably true they have world's largest veg menu

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2010

My husband and I went to Chowpatti last night for our anniversary and were happy with our experience. Our waitress was nice, knowledgeable, and attentive. They were able to make mostly anything vegan. I was only disappointed once during our trip when I found out they no longer make the vegan sesame dressing listed on their menu for the falafel, but the waitress brought some oil and vinegar to the table for me to make up for it. My only other complaint is that many things had to be purchased separately. A mango topping for the Indian nachos was $1 extra. Cucumbers and spinach for my falafel was $1 each. Rice and bread for my husband's saag aloo was $1 extra for each. The food was good, and we loved having SO much to choose from. We are so used to going into a restaurant and not having to think about what we are getting, since there's usually only one option. Quite a change going from that to a hefty, spiral-bound menu!! We were so happy they had two vegan desserts. The brownie and cinnamon roll were very small, especially the brownie, but they were both extra delicious. I can't complain too much about the smaller portions, since I at least left feeling nice and satisfied instead of overstuffed. Overall, it's not an AMAZING place, but it is a very nice place to have around for vegans or vegetarians - not too many vegetarian places in the suburbs it seems! They seems to be focused more on healthy eating than on making food that just blows you away (usually stuff that's heavy in fat and salt). They also have a large selection of fresh juices to choose from. I would love to go back to try some of them out. We will probably return many times to try as much as we can on their HUGE menu. This place probably would have gotten five happy cows from me had they some dairy substitutes available instead of just having the option of dairy omission (although, I'm still grateful for that option).

Pros: extensive menu, nice people, not crowded
Cons: small portions on some menu items, expensive, tight parking lot
VegCheeez
VegCheeez

Only my favorite restaurant EVER!

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2010

This is, without a doubt, my favorite place to eat EVER!
The people are so friendly and the food's amazing! My favorite is the pav bhaji!
I go here for celebrations, too, like my ACT, one year vegetarian anniversary, my birthday, etc.
It's totally worth checking out! You wont be disappointed!

Pros: Friendly staff, Yummy food
Keith_Thode
Keith_Thode

Indian, Mexican, Italian, etc.

Posted on 12 / 31 / 2009

Finally, I was traveling in an area of Chicago that allowed me to go back to Chowpatti's. I was there 9 years ago for a few meals and last week, I ate there twice. I eat a lot of Indian food at many restaurants in the Detroit area, where I live, and around the country when traveling. Chowpatti's has menu items common to other Indian restaurants and items that most other Indian restaurants don't have. Most Indian restaurants serve just the Americanized Indian items. It is a treat to find the real thing at Chowpatti's.

It's not cheap, but there's a couple of reasons. They're better than everyone else and part of it is because they don't use canned anything. It's all made from fresh everything. What a difference.

The last time that I was there, I tried their Italian and their Middle East cuisine - also great.

I can't believe that there is only one other review for Chowpatti's. If you're in the area, take the opportunity to eat there, especially if you like Indian food.

vegansoul
vegansoul

Delicious and friendly but lacks atmosphere

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2008

I went here while on a business trip to Schaumburg (Motorola training). I didn't know Arl. Heights was so close and originally planned to go to an Indian restaurant - which ended up being closed. My Garmin found Chowpatti. I entered the large / empty dining room and got a comfortable booth. The menu is huge -- 25 pages huge. They offer international cuisine from Italy, Lebannon, India, America, Mexico, etc.. http://www.tpsiclients.com/chowpatti/
I'd say 80% of which were vegan (or could easily be made vegan). I had Baba Ghannoug, a spicy dosa, their homemade peach iced tea and a delicious vegan brownie. The interior reminds me of a diner with vinyl seats. It is slightly bright and you can hear the commotion in the kitchen. It is not a place I would go on a first date, but I could see families enjoying a meal there.

Pros: good food, friendly family, menu variety
Cons: not romantic

Dear Owner and Manager of Chowpatti: