Serves meat, veg options available. Restaurant overlooking Biven's Arm Lake. Menu has lots of meat dishes and also some vegetarian with veggies and tofu. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Pan-Asian, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by jasmine624
jkirk
jkirk

Vegan staple

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

I really love Chopstix. I've been in Gainesville for four years now, and this is one of my favorites. True, they can be very busy and sometimes slow, but if you're not in a rush, go. Like someone said, don't go if you're starving. It's in a great location, eat on the patio if it's not too hot/buggy out. As a vegan, I LOVE their General Tso's tofu, the sweet and sour tofu, or the Ap Chao tofu. Their peanut roll is also a favorite. They also deliver through a local company, so at least you can avoid the wait while at home!

Pros: Lots of veg options, Great view
Cons: Slow
saumya108
saumya108

Eat at Chop Stix at your own risk

2 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2013

I would never want to actually discourage someone from eating at Chop Stix, but if you are a vegetarian or vegan BE CAREFUL! I don't care for their food that much, and this statement from another reviewer, "Easily the best choice for veggies in Gainesville" is sheer nonsense.

No. Chop Stix may easily be the best choice for vegans and vegetarians who have a carnivore friend or relative visiting and they want to go somewhere where they can eat meat and a vegetarian or vegan can eat too, overlooking a beautiful lake...if you get my drift.

Just because I don't care for their food doesn't mean that you won't like it, so do try it. But if it is actually vegetables you want, go to Szezuan (spelling?) Panda on 13th. They serve meat but so does Chop Stix, and the Panda has a buffet that is much less expensive.

Chop Stix could be good if you are out on a date. But I have heard several horror stories about them serving meat to people who specifically ordered non-meat. My daughter was traumatized. WHY DON'T THEY GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER.

Pros: beautiful lake
Cons: may serve a vegetarian meat by mistake, may be drunk people, long, long, long wait
phaedraford
phaedraford

Ehhhh, made my boyfriend throw up

2 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2012

The first couple of times I've been here, the food was pretty good. The banana avocado sushi rolls are so delicious. Also, the Thai iced tea is pretty good, maybe a little too sweet. Unfortunately, the last time I went there with my boyfriend was an awful experience. He ordered the steamed veggie dumplings but they ended up serving us the meat filled ones which made him sick. Even then, after returning them, they served us the general tso's chicken even though we ordered tofu. They quickly rectified that mistake thankfully. I would give this place a second chance, but I would be weary.

Pros: good seitan, avocado/banana sushi
Cons: awful radio music, staff disingenous, not authentic

VeganBikerBabe
VeganBikerBabe

Great Food, Great View

4 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2011

Here are the things you need to know:

This place is great, so they are very popular and busy, so don't go in there if you're in a rush or starving. Sometimes the wait can be a LONG time, and that's just for the table. Then the service can take awhile. Also, the acoustics in the dining area suck, so the more people, the louder it gets. That said....

This place has a HUGE Vegan menu and the food is fantastic. For people from out of town, this place is a MUST. It's located on Bivens Lake, and it's a beautiful view. There's a good chance you'll even see an alligator while you wait for your table. They have a great drink selection (alcohol and non). Now the icing on the cake, the new Whiteberry. They always offer 1 Vegan frozen yogurt, 99 times out of 100 it will be Pomegranate, which tastes great AND is healthy when topped with fresh berries.

DO NOT let the negatives deter you. Just go when you have the time. They are a great vegan friendly restaurant.
Updated from previous review on Friday October 02, 2009

Pros: Food is delicious, Huge Vegan Menu, Vegan Frozen Yogurt
Cons: Wait can be long, Service can be slow, Noisy atmosphere
RunVeg
RunVeg

Possibly the worst service in history

1 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2011

I was excited to try this place, an Asian Fusion cafe. First, we had to wait over 20 minutes to even order. I ordered the Pan Rammuat with rice. The food took a long time to come, but I can deal with that. Someone other than the original waiter brought the dishes out and didn't know what they were. As the only vegan in the group, I was getting really nervous. Also, the person didn't really speak English, so I was freaking out that I was going to get someone's meat dish (as my dish had seitan and I don't like how similar they look). Finally, I called over someone else from the restaurant to make sure it was seitan. Okay, good. However, it was supposed to come with rice, and they didn't bring it, they said they'd bring it out. I start to eat my dish without rice, as we've been there a long time and I'm the only one without my whole dish. 10 minutes pass, I ask someone else for my rice. Nothing. I have to ask 4 times for my rice, and it finally arrived at the end of the meal, when I was done eating. Wow, thanks.

Also, someone in our group ordered something to go when we initially ordered. When they bring out our checks (and have charged her for it), she asks where the to-go order is. They didn't make it. So, we get to wait another 20 minutes for that. Then, we go to pay, and there's one person trying to check out a line of 8 people. So, more waiting to pay. This was awful.

Even more fun: they charged an 18% gratuity for a table of 6. I've never heard of doing that for a table less than 8. Considering I didn't have rice for my meal or a refill on my water, I probably wouldn't have tipped 18%. I felt completely ripped off and just wanted to get the hell out of there.

In short, avoid this place like the plague. The prices aren't bad, but I don't even think I'd return to this place if they were giving the food away.

Cons: Terrible service, Don't even think about a refill, What rice?
heathmacnelson
heathmacnelson

Chopstix Experience

4 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2010

Just ate at Chopstix. Great location, great restaurant. Food was amazing, staff was friendly and helpful. Doing renovations at at the moment, promises to be even more spectacular when finished. The view of the lake is so serene and surprising in the middle of the city, and the prices were surprisingly low. Pad Thai noodles. Sushi was disapointing, though. My husband and I would travel an hour away from our house in Jacksonvilee, just to visit this place again. Thnaks Happy Cow for helping us find this beautiful memorable place!!

Pros: Excellent unique food, Serene, beautiful view of the lake, reasonable prices
Cons: Renovating now, Sushi was not good
NeiltheK
NeiltheK

Delicious and friendly

4 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2010

Food was excellent, and they're very veg friendly. I got a dish with seitan 'chicken' that was just delicious! Lovely view of the lake. I was a bit concerned to see 'frogs legs' on the menu, considering how endangered frogs are throughout the world. On my visit, restaurant was apparantly undergoing some renovation, and the AC wasn't working well. Great view of the lake.

Pros: vegan options, delicious, friendly staff
Cons: uncomfortable temperature , meat and frogs legs on menu
jasmine624
jasmine624

So flippin' good!

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

Tons of veggie choices, featuring tofu, tempeh, and seitan. Easily the best choice for veggies in Gainesville. Sesame tofu, Kai cashew, Mongolian fried tofu, all to die for! Gorgeous setting on a lake, and affordable, too (most veggie dishes are $8). Best veggie hot and sour soup of my life. Been veggie for 17 years, and Chopstix food rivals the best veggie restaurants of the big cities.

Pros: Sauces, Portions, View & price
Cons: A little disorganized
Guest
Guest

delicious, authentic and moderately priced

4 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2007

amazingly tasty food served right next to biven's arm lake, i. e. beautiful view of water birds/alligators while you dine. they have an extensive vegetarian section within menu and have many different styles of asian food to choose from. vegetarians also have the option of substituting tofu into almost all of the carnivorous dishes. try their vegetarian options such as the Kai Cashew, Thai Curried Tofu, and the Broccoli Garlic Tofu. once you've had something you like there, you're hooked! :) i just love this place.

Pros: large vegetarian menu selection, delicious sushi, addictive food
Cons: too crowded at peak times, disorganized cashiers, a tad cramped

Dear Owner and Manager of Chopstix Cafe: