All menu items are vegan, gluten-free, and as organic & local as possible. Bright, artsy atmosphere with free wi-fi access. They also carry some products for resale as well. Opened since Nov 2011. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Canadian, Western, Take-out

First Review by DollyWiggles
nowherefast
nowherefast

Small portions, bland food

2 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

Went here with a friend yesterday. I ordered a Brachio burger with wedges on the side. Order came within 10 minutes. My burger came, it was probably 3 inches around (tiny) and super thin. Small enough to eat in just a few bites. The burger patty was just mushed up black beans. Nothing special, definitely not worth $12.00.

Pros: Vegan eatery in Port Moody
Cons: Small portions, Bland
EverydayTastiness
EverydayTastiness

Twice in Two Days. Yum!

5 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2013

Chomp is a trendy little vegan restaurant that has a great artsy café vibe. I liked all the natural light from the large windows. It is located just east of Vancouver in Port Moody. In addition to all their food being vegan, it is also gluten-free. This suited me well as I was visiting a gluten free friend, so this eatery made us both very happy.

I went there for brunch, and it was so good, I decided to go back for dinner.

For brunch, I had the Mexi Scramble with cheese. It is a tofu scramble with spice. Chili powder, jalapeños, red bell pepper, and tomato round it out. They have Daiya cheese on hand, so I asked them to put that on top. It was a nice blend of mozzarella and cheddar. For sides it comes with some roasted potato and buttered toast. I will have to make a variation of this when I get back home. A great combination of spices and flavors.

I washed it down with a Coconut Chai latte. The scramble was fantastic, but the latte was really weak and tasted like colored water. I couldn’t taste the tea at all. Dang.

The free wifi and good selection of music had me hanging out for a while though.

For dinner we had three dishes: Chomp Sliders, Full-afel, Poutine.

The full-afel was a bit dry and came as a wrap. We expected it to be more traditional falafel. They tried to work with the dryness of the tortilla and garbanzo bean by adding lots of sauce, cucumber, and tomato. This was my least favorite dish I had.

The chomp sliders were fantastic however. With a name like that, we couldn’t resist ordering it. They were very tasty and slid quickly into out mouths. They are made from white beans with a creamy sauce on top. There was also sprouts and avocado. Very tasty!

Our unanimous favorite however was the poutine. Poutine is a classic french-canadian dish usually made with fries, gravy, and cottage cheese. Chomp’s version is much better tasting and healthier. They used baked wedge fries, gravy, and blend of mozzarella and cheddar cheese. The result was fantastic. We all loved it, and nearly ordered a second helping. However we spotted the Chocolate S’more cookies in the bakery case and got those instead.

I really enjoyed Chomp, and will visit it again the next time I am in the Vancouver area.

Pros: Tasty Food
scocasso
scocasso

*Chomp* *Chomp* *Chomp*... uz guud

4 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2013

First of all, you have to give kudos to the people behind this restaurant for having the bravery to open not only a completely vegan eatery, but one that is also gluten free as well with many organic ingredients. Historically, opening anything ever so slightly 'different' outside of a highly populated city's downtown core would mean certain doom, but they seem to be surviving just fine; I guess that means Coquitlam is becoming more and more of a city (sigh~ all the trees are disappearing).

Chomp is located in a new shopping area (previous forest); clean and modern looking -- a nice change from going to Vancouver where I often feel like I should burn my shoes afterwards.

The food is of Western fare and seems to cater to the suburban crowd that cowers at the thought of trying anything 'different', so it's a very good strategic menu that offers recognizable choices for the timid and their offspring; I think most children raised on suburban Western food will have no problem gobbling down most items on the menu - my kids certainly didn't.

For myself, I like to go out to eat food that I don't usually make at home, or that I've never tried before, or food that is just too tedious and labour intensive to make without the support of an assembly line of family members all pitching in, but barring that, the food at Chomp is very tasty. The portions are small and the prices are high (the rent is outrageous, I'm sure), but the quality is good and I usually walk away from there feeling stuffed (recommend the chili if you are really hungry).

The decor - well, I'm never one to care about such things, I'm there to eat, but it looks clean, conservative, and slightly alternative (but not alternative enough to scare people away, all very smart).

The service has always been prompt and personal and after writing this I feel that it's time for me and my stomach to pay another visit to Chomp.

Pros: location location location, quality tasty food, all vegan - OH YEAH!!!
Cons: small portions (for me), medium expensive (for me)

mvettorel
mvettorel

I love chomp! :)

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

My boyfriend and I used to go to chomp all the time. (The only reason we stopped going is because we moved very far away from Port Moody) Lovely staff, and delicious homemade vegan food. Chomp sliders yum yum

Pros: Awesome people, Delicious food, Vegan & GF
Cons: Far away from where I live
Marie
Marie

Gluten free and vegan!

4 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2012

My kids love Chomp, even though it takes a little long to get the food,the many books and art work keep them busy. They love the nachos, mac and "cheese", and the curry potatoe wrap. I love the ceasar salad and the poutine.
Staff is very friendly and the place is always clean.

Pros: friendly staff, nice vibe, great food
Cons: pricey
chazyvr
chazyvr

Rare vegan eatery

4 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2012

A very cute, friendly and welcoming eatery you won't find in Vancouver. I'm amazed they have something like this out in Port Moody. The Mexi scramble was great (with extra hot sauce). The vegan gluten free bread that came with it was amazing and I've tried a bunch. I even make gluten free bread myself. It may be a bit on the pricey side but I'm happy to support a business like this.

kimward8
kimward8

Great!

4 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2012

The decor in this place is really cool, with local art on the walls. I had the poutine and the sliders. I was dissapointed that the buns were gluten free, I'm vegan and I eat gluten, so I'm always sad when something vegan isn't as good as it should be because it's been made gluten-free as well. The poutine was good, but it was made with potato wedges instead of fries, which is probably healthier, but not as crunchy. The peppermint chocolate cookies was really good, I didn't even notice that it was gluten-free. I also got the tofu pad thai noodles with peanut sauce to go for lunch the next day.

DollyWiggles
DollyWiggles

Finally

5 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2012

Port Moody finally has a vegan eatery! It's also all gluten free so, even if your not vegan but gluten intolerant, it's all safe you to eat!

Chomp has a lovely variety of western favorites veganized.

It can seem a bit pricey but it is all organic, local and gluten free. With that in mind, I still felt that I didn't really get my money's worth with the caesar salad. It was great but there wasn't much to it that felt $10 worth. The fiery thai tofu bowl has a great spicy peanut sauce, but it's alot of mostly tofu(unless you really like eating a big bowl of tofu) so next time I get it I'll probably get it with something else to share with someone. So far my favorite is the Chomp burger, which also has a really nice spicy bite to it, with the delectable wedge fries.

My fiancé said the chili wasn't so much chili as it was a nice bean stew, which is fine but we like our chili with some kick. I'm sure for those who like a mild chili it's great.

I haven't tried the coffe yet, but I did get a really cozy and creamy hot chocolate that I got made with a mix of almond and coconut milk. Really superb.

The staff are always amazingly friendly. They also have a really nice kids area and the place is always super clean and really cute.

Pros: super friendly, very accessible, clean
Cons: limited seating, on the pricey side

Dear Owner and Manager of Chomp Vegan Eatery: