ChocolaTree Organic Oasis

Serving 100% organic, gluten free, and sugar free dishes prepared daily to-order with seasonal produce. Note that honey is used in many items. Has free wireless internet, an on-site garden, and hosts events. Previously named ChocolaTree Cafe. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, American, Take-out
1595 W Highway 89A (opposite Ace Hardware)
Sedona, Arizona 86336
928-282-2997

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Judith Daniel
MadCityDidi
MadCityDidi

More than just vegan - WFPB!

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2014

I love this place. The food is whole food plant based. Strict vegans will want to know that some dishes do include honey. Otherwise, this would have been classified as a vegan restaurant, rather than vegetarian. Everything I have tried has been one shade or another of yum! It is my "go to" place in Sedona. Add to the delicious food, smoothies and juices, the beautiful patio and the interesting parking signs (worth a visit by themselves), and this place is almost as good as it gets!

Did I mention home-made chocolates and the fact that every single thing on the menu can be ordered in half portions? Incredible!

Pros: Excellent food, Great vibe, Huge selection
Veda S
Veda S

We love this place!

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2014

My husband and I have been here several times. We love all the food we've tried so far! They just did a remodel and the ambience is great.

ohemgee
ohemgee

Wow..

Posted on 04 / 25 / 2014

I was ecstatic when I found this lovely cafe! My boyfriend and I tried a few things: mushroom waffle, grilled cheese, spring rolls, viva burrito, for dessert we tried the coconut cake and the double chocolate cake. I personally was a HUGE fan of the mushroom waffle - it was an interesting combo. My boyfriend loved the burrito - but neither of us were a big fan of the grilled cheese. The spring rolls were fresh and delicious. The dessert...well.. to die for! I cannot wait to come back. They also have a lovely outside area, front and back. The back is like a little oasis :)

Pros: healthy, vegan, amazing
Cons: wait time, parking

Donnell
Donnell

Wonderful Food and Atmosphere with vegan options!

Posted on 02 / 20 / 2014

I had the pleasure of eating here on Tuesday with my fiancé and loved it! We initially just stopped by for a snack to go but decided to stay when we saw the back garden area…boy were we glad we did! The staff is friendly and efficient, our drinks were refreshing and tasty and our appitiser platter as well as our dark chocolate ganache cake were delicious. I didn't find the prices to be so unusually high (this is Sedona after all) and feel that one should pay a bit more for not-fast food garbage.

Pros: Staff, Service, Garden area w/hammocks and almond trees
Sportyvegan
Sportyvegan

Great vegan restaurant

Posted on 12 / 30 / 2013

I was visiting Sedona and was really happy to find Chocola Tree. I had the carrot ginger soup which was excellent. I also had the Quinoa kale salad which was great as well.

They have a nice atmosphere and friendly service. I am really surprised about the negative reviews on here about them. I'm glad that I ignored the negative reviews and went there anyway! By the way, the prices are very reasonable, not expensive at all relative to what I'm use to.

I do agree that they should take honey off their menu. I forgot to talk to them about this. If you agree and patron their restaurant, talk to them about it and suggest other sweetners so that they can truly be vegan.

Pros: Friendly, healthy, gluten free, organic, Good value, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Honey on menu
TTvegan77
TTvegan77

Expensive & Tastes Bad

Posted on 10 / 19 / 2013

I wanted to love this place as it is the only all vegetarian place in Sedona. Unfortunately we ignored all of the bad reviews in hope that it would be good. Whoopsie!

Meal for 2 (including desert & a chocolate) came to $76. We don't mind paying more for a great meal and for contributing to the veg cause... but the food has got to be at least edible. Especially stay away from the grilled cheese, ginger lemonade (mind numbing amounts of ginger) & the mushroom fantasy. Yikes!

Wish we could have loved this place as we would have eaten there every day this week on our vacation. :(

Pros: Tons of chocolate treat options., Nice book/store area., Service was quick.
Cons: Too expensive., Food wasnt good.
cookiemonster_ontour
cookiemonster_ontour

Plenty vegan options

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2013

My husband and I are vegans and being a bit desperate after a while on the road without healthy vegan food options. We found this place for breakfast once and had waffles and breakfast cereals. Nothing really fancy, but we were happy to be able to start our day in this place. If I get the chance to go back to Sedona, I would definitely eat again at this place and try one of the savory lunches.

Being from Texas, it is absolutely difficult to find healthy vegan options. Being surrounded by BBQ houses, all you can eat meats and fast food restaurants, I do not really understand the hype about this place selling honey. The place seemed cruelty free to me and provides plenty of vegan options. You can have some 'richer' comfort foods or healthy super foods. The richer foods used non-dairy cheeses and creams in all their meals. I wish I had a place like this close by.

Pros: healthy options/superfoods, vegan cheeses and creams as basics, nice hippie style decor
Soul2Soul Educare
Soul2Soul Educare

Healthy Eats - not very tasty and Poor Service

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2013

I was a little disappointed with this place. They stress on Love Love Love everywhere but the service was far from loving - not even friendly! After being in California where everyone is so happy and friendly - this place was a real downer. The food was healthy and the menu had a lot of healthy choices, but the food was not very tasty. Plus it was pretty overpriced. The chocolate was mediocre. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. If I were you I'd skip this place and find another vegan/vegetarian restaurant!

Pros: organic, vegan/vegetarian
Cons: cramped restaurant, terrible service, yucky food
ed_wharton
ed_wharton

Highly Recommended

Posted on 05 / 12 / 2013

Truly an Oasis for Vegans or Vegetarians. Tasty food and quick service. AND CHOCOLATE! If you visit Sedona, this is a MUST STOP!

Pros: tasty food, good selection, CHOCOLATE
Cons: NONE
Tigra220
Tigra220

Save your time...and money

Posted on 04 / 23 / 2013

This is one of those places that you really want to love. It's the only dedicated vegetarian restaurant left in Sedona. It's super cute, and there is a chocolate showcase. What's not to love? Answer = the food.

I took some non-veg*ns with me and this is one of those places that make omnivores shun veg*n food. It was bland...very boring and flavorless. I wanted to love my veggie burger, but I couldn't find even 1 saving grace for it. My fellow diners and I all left hungry, disappointed, and feeling cheated at being charged so much money for such unappealing food.

Their chocolate shake is pretty good; that's about it.

On a side note, I hope Happy Cow looks into all of the raving reviewers with just 1 (or only a few) reviews. These seem quite suspicious!

Pros: cute decor, tasty shake, nice staff
Cons: food is not good, expensive
lmf
lmf

A Sedona Must-Do

Posted on 04 / 10 / 2013

The staff is super friendly and the restaurant is cozy and charming. It's a total visual and spiritual complement to Sedona. I noticed that honey is used in some items as well as for sale in the store but the staff was able to explain what had honey, what didn't and how things can be veganized. I enjoyed the veggie burger and Chocolate n' Maca smoothie outside in the garden area. Everything is made right there, including the decadent treats and sweets in their dessert case. Each one has a list of ingredients for those who want to avoid honey. There's a marketplace included as well with natural products and supplements. My only caveat would be the honey thing. If you're in doubt, ask. They're very friendly.

Pros: Cozy, uplifting atmosphere, Great menu, Friendly staff
Cons: Use of honey (for vegans)
Ethan
Ethan

Not Worth the Money

Posted on 03 / 24 / 2013

Because it's the only "vegan" restaurant in town, we went for lunch on our first day, today. I say "vegan" because it's not really vegan. They put honey in a substantial amount of their foods, and they sell it by the jars. I don't know who thinks that be vomit is vegan, but it's not.

We ordered the potato soup, the combination platter, and the veggie burgers. Everything was lackluster. The presentation was nice enough, but the food was bland, unflavorful, dense, and though it said cooked, it was completely cold and felt raw. Their homemade chips were soggy or too hard. Their bread crumbled as you handled it. Everything has a slightly better taste to it. Even the chocolate, which was the size of a small thimble for $2.22 apiece, was bitter, lacking in complexity and balance. That all said, the chai tea was good. One cup of soup, one shared starter, and two veggie burgers for over $50? Outrageous. Especially when the food was this disgusting.

I really wanted to like this place. There's just no way I can. Oh, and please-SOMEBODY CHANGE THE DESIGNATION OF THIS RESTAURANT! It is NOT vegan: it is, as they say in their menu, on their website, and on their sign, VEGETARIAN!

Pros: can't think of one
Cons: expensive, disgusting food, slow service
MGSUCH
MGSUCH

NOT VEGAN

Posted on 03 / 24 / 2013

I don't know why this is listed as vegan because it isn't. Their signage clearly says vegetarian and they sell honey - both jars of it and in many of the food served. Definitely not a vegan restaurant.
The veggie burger was a cooked option yet it arrived barely warm. It was very tough and hard to chew. I had to swallow it in big bites. The potato soup was watery and a small portion for the price.
For the prices it charges, I would expect better food and better service.
After our meal we were $50 poorer and still hungry. We ended up going out for a second meal.
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 24, 2013

Pros: only game in town
Cons: slow service, veggie burger was hard to swallow, Over priced
Jessi_vegi17
Jessi_vegi17

Ah-mazing!

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2013

Fresh, delicious organic vegan food. It doesn't get much better than this! Great ambience as well, definitely will return!

Pros: Everything
jumba1969
jumba1969

Organic Vegan Oasis of LOVE

Posted on 12 / 12 / 2012

Our entire organic, vegan family (2 boys aged 8 and 3) LOVE LOVE LOVE Chocolatree!!!

Pros: organic, friendly, conscious
Cons: none
vegan frog
vegan frog

Great raw food

Posted on 12 / 02 / 2012

Ate there twice on a trip to Sedona. The food had some of the best flavours I had in raw food. The server was super helpful and even though the portions weren't that big, raw food was really filling and I felt really clean. I would definitely go back!

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

ChocolaTree Organic Oasis

Posted on 11 / 09 / 2012

I would pass on this one if I were you.

The chocolate was so bad, and so expensive. I don't mind paying the extra cash for some fine vegan chocolate, but this stuff was gritty and poorly flavored. My friend agreed too. I'd never visit again.

zaphod
zaphod

Excellent food, nice place

Posted on 08 / 01 / 2012

I had the "Sedona 2012 Wrap" - excellent - nice combo of ingredients and flavor. My wife had the "Veggie Burger" - also excellent. Good clean water, good sized portions, nice people. Oh... and the chocolate... great stuff! We got some for dessert to go, but it was so good we ate it before we got out of the door. :-)

Pros: Good food, Good portions, Nice place
Cons: none
NathanielSolace
NathanielSolace
  • herbivore

A Blessing to the community

Posted on 05 / 26 / 2012

Not only does CTree provide high quality food, but they host amazing events every week! Whether it's movie night, or musicians... they are so much more than a restaurant, really an education center. Everyone that works here embodies a wealth of knowledge! My favorite part is probably the garden in the back! They grow a lot of their own herbs and vegetables on site! Truly, CTree is setting a powerful, important standard for restaurants, vegan or not! Please come check it out, do yourself a favor! : )

Pros: Community, Education, Ambiance
MaryAnneRohrdanz
MaryAnneRohrdanz

goodness and goodness

Posted on 04 / 16 / 2012

The food here is great--but don't go if you're on a diet :) . The menu is full of very healthy, fresh, diet-friendly fare. However, they have a large selection of super-awesome chocolates (some of which have honey, fyi). I suppose the name should have given it away.

The atmosphere was also just great. You should stop in for lunch. :)

Pros: healthy cuisine, nice atmosphere
Cons: Lots of good chocolate :)
bvanb
bvanb

Yummy and just like home

Posted on 04 / 15 / 2012

I had the 2012 Burrito which has a delicious "cheese" crumbly/crunchy sprinkle on it that was so delicious I had to by a container for home. The Tmaato wrap was a delight in itself. This is one satisfying Burrito. I had the Cacao Milk with Chia drink thing also. The garden was beautiful and I had a peaceful satisfying meal. I even took photos in the garden and perused the shop afterwards. A nice little oasis after an excellent Skate session up the road. Beautiful.

Pros: lots of great options, The desserts looked divine.
Cons: too bad my belly couldn't hold more
hippublican
hippublican

Skip it.

Posted on 12 / 21 / 2011

Unfortunately, I really wasn't impressed by my visit to Chocolatree.
We've been there once before several years ago (and had a great meal and great service), and now my fond memories are now a thing of the past.
First off, we sat down and perused the menu which was no small task with all the fug artwork hanging around and distracting us. My personal favorite was the old chubby woman with the huge, saggy, veiny knockers that was displayed right in front of me.
We ordered the falafel plate (11) and the grilled cheese (7). The sandwich was great, but for the price, it really should have came with a side. I was definitely still hungry after eating. My husband's falafel was okay, kinda... moist. We liked it well enough until we found a hair sticking out of it. I'm pretty understanding about these sorts of things but considering that the staff didn't appear to be even attempting to cover their hair, it irked me a little.
The service was totally spacey, and the waitress didn't even recognize us from 20 minutes earlier when we got up to pay. When I NICELY and QUIETLY pointed out that there was hair in the food, I was not met with any discount or anything. In fact, she very insultingly suggested that I had mistaken a sprout for hair. Nope, sorry lady.
Also, the people who paid before us were loudly directed to the tip jar and told that their bill didn't include a gratuity.
All around ick. For the rest of our trip, we'll gladly visit the Indian restaurant down the street.

Cons: overpriced, hippy, hair in food
dishonraw
dishonraw
  • raw

The Freshest, Most Organic Meal in Sedona

Posted on 05 / 28 / 2011

I was thrilled to be trying ChocolaTree on my recent trip to Sedona. Being a raw foodie, I'm challenged when traveling but ChocolaTree made it so easy!

Here's a summary of all that I sampled:

Thai Noodles - super fresh. kelp noodles smothered in a thai chili sauce covered in crisp, organic toppings like sprouts and carrots! So good!

Honey Lemonade - enjoyed it each time i ate there! homemade lemonade with arizona honey and ginger. perfect quencher after hiking.

German Chocolate Cake - raw + light! perfect ending to a wonderful meal.

Chocolate N Maca Smoothie - perfect for a dessert. sweet + a rich chocolate experience.

Since it was vacation and I wanted to try many things I did eat a couple of cooked items from the menu as well:

Chai Tea Latte - delcious and warm on a cool Sedona night

Buckwheat Pancakes - served with warm cinnamon syrup + honey. yum.

Breakfast Tamales - with guac + pico de gallo. lightest tamales i've ever eaten.

The staff is friendly, the outdoor garden makes you feel at home, and even my non raw husband enjoyed everything he had (especially the Chocolate Puddin Pie).

This place is a must if you're in the Sedona area and you are looking for some real, fresh, full of live food!

Can't wait to go back if I'm ever in the area again!

Pros: raw food options, organic + fresh, beautiful outdoor garden for dining
icreamyi
icreamyi

What a tasty treat!

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2011

This is like the shangrilah of Sedona. The food is Organic, tasty and filling. The atmosphere is welcoming and this place is just full of great things to buy and eat...including amazing chocolates with all kinds of flavors. A great crystal collection too. There are many of the treats you can buy they package and sell. They have a back garden that lets you forget you're near a main road as it's so peaceful back there. I can't wait to go back soon!

Pros: Food quality, Service, Price
Cons: I don't live close enough
oldschooltofu
oldschooltofu

long wait :(

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2010

while visiting Sedona, i was so excited to go here. we sat down and took a little while for the waitress to take our order (about 10-15 min). she did not tell us about the specials (would have gotten one had i known). we got our drinks promptly and waited. and waited, and waited. took about an hour to get our food. an hour!!!! for vegan/raw food??? we ordered the soft tacos (were soggy) 2 veggie burgers (cold) and the sushi. the waitress said the sushi had to be re-made because it wouldn't stay together. well the roll i got didn't stay together either!! if fell apart on my plate and was difficult to eat. its not that hard to roll sushi, i do it all the time at home and always stays together.

it wasn't even that busy, only 2 tables (5 people) were a head of us...we were extremely upset at having to wait an hour for poorly prepared food, that should have taken 10-15 min at most to prepare. and while we were there 3 people walked out while waiting for chocolate.

she apologized for the wait when we paid. and gave us a comp on one small piece of chocolate. like that made a difference.

would not go back if i ever am in Sedona again. would rather do Thai, Sushi or the Koren place up the street.

Pros: vegan chocolate
Cons: long wait, poor management, slow cook w/o a hat
jlo5616
jlo5616

Good food but vegans beware - they use honey :-(

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2010

We stopped in to Chocolatree under the impression it was 100% vegan, and the restaurant even boasts being vegan in their menu. I was pretty annoyed as a strict pure vegan when I saw honey is in all of the cake and pie type desserts. I asked the owner and he said they used to use agave but switched - WHY??? Arizona establishments like this should use agave!!! He seemed to defend honey as vegan too, but IT IS NOT VEGAN (ask vegan.org). Anyway, I ordered the soft tacos and my boyfriend ordered the raw burrito. Before our meals arrived he served us a raw sprouted rye cracker with creamy vegan cheese dip which was okay. My tacos arrived fairly quickly and they were SOOOO GOOD!!!! They had delicious lightly warmed refried-style black beans, vegan cheese, and cabbage and it came with a side of salsa and guacamole and a side salad (I chose the creamy dill dressing, DELICIOUS!). The portions were hearty and I could barely finish. My boyfriend wasn't as fond of his burrito but it was still good, and he got the same sides except for a cilantro dressing on the salad. The tacos were much more filling and he was very jealous of my meal. For dessert we could only choose between the raw chocolate cups or the coconut cream pie because they were agave-sweetened still (the rest are now honey-sweetened). The guy must have misheard us and he brought us one of the little chocolate coconut cream cups (the size of a peanut butter cup) cut in half, so we were really disappointed but didn't speak up (we should have). It was still good, but we will never know if the coconut cream pie was any good now! All in all we had a good dinner and a good experience.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 16, 2010

Pros: Mostly vegan, Raw and cooked options
Cons: Uses honey in many desserts, Desserts mislabled as vegan
cauliflowerpower
cauliflowerpower

A raw/cooked - vegan/vegetarian *GEM*

Posted on 11 / 11 / 2010

I am very fortunate to be able to visit this fun little place often. The food is AMAZING and there are options for both raw and cooked. All of the appetizers are super fabulous and the burrito rocks. Many of the desserts do have honey, even though they are marked "vegan". Be sure to double check and ask when in doubt. The staff is knowledgeable about the food. The cafe offers many dehydrated snacks to-go and their kale chips are some of the best I have had. Be sure to eat in the garden area out back if weather permits - it is a special place.

Pros: delicious food, cool garden area, great to-go items
Cons: honey in "vegan" items, can be pricey , small
rippleatwpi
rippleatwpi

Must eat here when you're in Sedona

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2010

This place is great and the people who work/go there are phenomenal. When you're in Sedona you must stop by and try the food - it's all delicious and super healthy! You can even take your meal on the patio or in the spacious and beautiful garden. Love it.

Pros: excellent food, great people, garden dining
Cons: some items pricey
iTom
iTom

Great Vibes

Posted on 07 / 01 / 2010

We visited in June and found ChocolaTree to be a delightful place. The people are fantastic and really seem to love each other and what they are doing.

The food was pretty good. I had a lentil and barley stew that was delicious and spicy! We also tried the black bean tacos, which were great after a day of hiking.

My wife enjoyed some chocolate pieces for dessert. I had the key lime pie which was very light and could have had more lime flavor. However, I did eat two pieces.

All in all, definitely worth a stop for a snack, although maybe not the best choice for a full dinner if you're really hungry.

Pros: Nice people, Great vibes, Chocolate!
Cons: Limited menu
macrocpa
macrocpa

Nice Spot

Posted on 05 / 07 / 2010

We enjoyed our lunch of veggie burger and kelp noodles. Very friendly and enthusiastic staff. The tiramisu that we shared for dessert was delicious and split for us. The nori that was served w/the kelp noodles, was a treat. We took some pizza crackers to go for the road.

Pros: good food, friendlly staff
mena
mena

Made me fall in love with raw food!

Posted on 03 / 26 / 2010

I really enjoyed my meal here last year, the shakes and soups I tried were super yummy.

There was live music too!

Pros: Raw Food, Chocolate!, Friendly Staff
drehud
drehud

Good food

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2009

Went here for my anniversary at lunchtime. Food looked amazing!! We tried the enchilada (more like a burrito) thai coconut soup and the thai rolls. The food was okay. I enjoyed it but should not have eaten so much! We spent about $50 on lunch because we had the full course meal. I would go there again but just not go as crazy with trying everything. The chocolate drink was out of this world!! The tiramisu was not so good. I've had their other pastries and it tasted exactly the same. I would try one of their other cakes instead. I wish the owner would have taken more time to explain the entrees.

Pros: The Raw experience, Creative foods
Cons: Pricey!!, Needs more staff
tedshaffner
tedshaffner

delicious awesome experience

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2009

this place is a MUST EAT AT. my hubby and i went here while in sedona. i had the fiesta salad and he had the deep green (name?) sandwich....then we had the chocolate cream pie for dessert. SO DELICIOUS. fast friendly laid back service, really nice atmosphere.....i wish this was in VA where I live but alas I will have to go back to Sedona to visit it again.

Pros: friendly service, lots of raw food, great desserts
Cons: nothing!
maulydaft
maulydaft

Very good

Posted on 11 / 30 / 2008

Had a sampler plater that was out of this world. Also snacked on a onion rings raw chocolate that was equally good.

Pros: Healthy, Super Yummy, Mostly decently priced
Cons: Too quite a while
Sunrower
Sunrower

Don't Miss this Cafe!

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2008

It is now called, "Cafe Raw Bliss and Chocolates."
The food is simply amazing! The carrot-ginger soup is the
best ever and the enchilada is "to live for."
I can't even begin to tell you how delicious the
"Healing Bar" is for dessert. Service is 1/2 self serve and the atmosphere is simple, comfortable and basic. The staff
has a great vibe, friendly and concerned. They might run out of some things, so go early if you are doing lunch.
Oh yes, the crackers are just the best. Take some home or for the road. Peace and all good!

Pros: Food, Quality, Cleanliness
Cons: Available Items
oceangirl
oceangirl

Vibrant food for the body and soul!!!

Posted on 03 / 08 / 2007

I found this place by accident when I was driving though town looking for something new and healthy to eat.
WOW!! what a great find!! I will be back when I am in atown again.
Great friendly staff!
Great food and great presentation. Don't leave without trying a desert.

Pros: Great food, Nice pictures of food, Everything looked good
Cons: hard to decide!, out door seating would b
Judith Daniel
Judith Daniel

Great Sedona Addition

Posted on 02 / 26 / 2007

Since my last visit to beautiful Sedona Arizona, this new little cafe has appeared. It was an amazing, all vegan, all raw experience, and not just salads, but "pizza," marinaides, marvelous smoothies, and extraordinary desserts, yes, all raw. Their chocolate pie was the creamiest and most flavorful I've had, and I've had a few.

Pros: very fresh ingredients, creative combinations, beautiful presentation
Cons: short staff for the rush, cozy, but crowded

Dear Owner and Manager of ChocolaTree Organic Oasis: