Chocolate Maven Bakery and...

Serves meat, veg options available. Veggie reuben with soy, tofu grill, vegetarian soups, tofu scramble, and tofu migas, pastries made with eggs and dairy. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, American,Non-veg

First Review by skotting
ecogeek
ecogeek

Delicious veggie reuben

4 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2014

We stopped by here to taste their veggie reuben and despite the server's comment that they didn't normally make it on the weekends (it was a Saturday) they accommodated us. The reuben was excellent and the chips also very good. Would go back and get a sandwich with veggie soy ingrediants the next time. It was about 2 pm and the café was full of customers. Great to see some veggie choices.

Pros: Friendly, Helpful
binjones
binjones

Chocolate Maven nearly Vegetarian Nirvana

4 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

I a vegan, but my wife is not. We were on or annal cross country trip when we came upon te Maven for breakfast. Despite the fact it is not heavy on vegan, what was ordered and the fact that they were willing to accommodate gave us one of the greatest experiences during our trip.
For those who complain about what tey do not have try driving across American and you will see really how much that do provide and how the were accommodating.
We loved the Sante Fe scrambler and wish we could match all of their flavors. The black beans were great even sans the cheese We highly recommend the Chocolate Maven

Pros: Flavor, Simplicity, Complexity
Cons: Limited
Dazzle59
Dazzle59

A few standout vegan options!

4 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2012

I agree with vgndrl that Chocolate Maven doesn't offer many vegan options. The owners and chef are Sikhs and ovo-lacto vegetarians, and I wish they would add more vegan options to the menu (especially during dinner). However, that doesn't stop me from visiting the Maven every few weeks for a soy cappuccino and their fantastic New Mexico-style tofu scramble, which is the stuff of dreams (be sure to request no cheese on the black beans). Also - dont' miss the Maven's garlic rosemary french fries which are out of this world!

vgndrl
vgndrl

Vegan friendly? I think not.

2 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2009

I was travelling through New Mexico on my way to Colorado and did some research to see what places I could stop at for dinner while in town. I decided that I should stop by Chocolate Maven after reading the reviews on this site. I was very disappointed when I arrived at tea time and was informed that there was nothing vegan available. The women behind the counter told me that all pastries are made with eggs and dairy and that some of the premade food was vegetarian, but not vegan. They were very unwilling to make any sort of alterations to the food to make them vegan. I would recommend this place to vegetarians but definitely not to vegans and suggest removing "vegan friendly" from this restaurants information on this site.

Pros: Veg friendly
Cons: Nothing vegan
  • wnoyes21 wnoyes21

I think perhaps you had an un-informed server. Many of the Mavens pastries are egg and dairy free, although they don't label them vegan. Perhaps what they serve during tea-time is different, I've never attempted it, but I would give them another try if you pass through again.

skotting
skotting

Great Vegetarian Options

4 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2007

The good news is that the Chocolate Maven has remodeled, and there is a lot more room, especially downstairs, and it is a gorgeous environment now. The bathrooms are really nice, and the dining room window the bakery is huge, and totally fun to watch the bakery in action. We had a great vegetarian meal, and there were tons of vegetarian items on the menu. There were vegetarian versions of a lot of the sandwiches. I got a fantastic salad with tons of really fresh greens and sliced tofu. For breakfast the tofu scramble is one of the best I have had and you can get most of the egg dishes with tofu, you can even get vegetarian eggs Benedict with veggie Canadian bacon. The soups are always vegetarian, and the Maven is famous for soup and bread. Personally, I find the staff is really friendly especially for such a busy place. They are eager to help, cheerful and quick. So it is one of my favorite places to go on a regular basis. I always buy an awesome loaf of bread on the way out. Oh yes, there is also high tea in the afternoon with cute little vegetarian tofu salad finger sandwiches and all sort of goodies... totally fun. The parking lot is probably the worst aspect, and I agree with the suggestion to park in the street and walk up - I just avoid pulling back there at all. It can get crowded and busy too, but to me that's part of the fun. Overall I really love to recommend the Maven. It's a unique place in Santa Fe, and it is popular with us locals for good reason. At any rate, I would not visit Santa Fe without including time for the Chocolate Maven.

Pros: Del Veggie Choicicious, Lots of Veggies, Cheerful and friendly
Cons: parking, hard to find, waiting in line

Dear Owner and Manager of Chocolate Maven Bakery and Cafe: