Comida vegetariana. Small place with mostly take away, has 4 small tables for dining in. Food is prepared ahead of time and placed in a counter for re-heated upon order. Features weekly specials and Asian menu during winter. Open daily all day in summer. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Indian, International, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Calle Peso 6, Puerta de Jerez, Casco Antiguo, Càdiz (just inside the Medina gate)
Tarifa, Spain
+34-956685092
  • Cash only

First Review by gasman
lizipfe
lizipfe

Warm atmosphere and delicious hearty food

Posted on 10 / 26 / 2014

Being vegan and having just moved to Tarifa I was very excited about trying out this little place located in the old town and it did not disappoint.It is small inside but very cosy and the food is all freshly prepared and you can taste the love that goes in to it! I've been a few times since being here and each time have left feeling full, content and with a smile on my face!

Pros: well priced, good vegan selection, friendly staff
Cons: small, not many tables
wyrd
wyrd

Lovely refuge in Tarifa

Posted on 08 / 13 / 2014

I spent last week end in Tarifa with my girlfriend and I took the chance to visit Chilimosa on Saturday evening. It's a very small place, as others have pointed out, and that is why they also advertise the take-away possibility.

There were three lovely girls behind the counter, super-busy because, I'm happy to say, there were a lot of people. Nevertheless, the atmosphere was really nice, at a certain point a friend of theirs came in and they started singing "Happy birthday", and everybody joined in... super-friendly.

The food was extremely good, we got a couple of starters and a main dish, plus the lovely chocolate and almond cookies at the end. All home-made, with great care.

There are a fair number of vegan choices too!

We spent slightly less than 20 euro in total, which I think is very cheap considered the quality of the food.

I recommend it for sure!

Pros: Lovely food, Friendly staff, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Small, could be crowded
JustaPack
JustaPack

So Happy I Found It!

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2014

I was thrilled to find this restaurant within a few hours of arriving in Tarifa, Spain, a town I spent only 24 hours in recently. Even so, I ate at this restaurant three times and loved it. The Seitan wrap was flavorful and filling and the Falafel Plate with Hummus was delicious. Just ask for it without the dressing if vegan as it is yogurt based. So happy I found this restaurant as traveling throughout Andalucia offers limited options for Vegans/Vegetarians.

Pros: Delicious Food, Friendly Staff, Comfortable and Cute Atmosphere
Cons: A bit pricy, Limited Seating

Tank242
Tank242

Enjoyable place

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2014

Very nice but small place - you might have to be lucky to get a table. Chilimosa is highly frequented, the food is really great. The staff is also happy to prepare your food to take away.

I especially loved the indian onions whith sweet sauce.
Reasonable pricing.

Pros: Weekly specials, Good value, nice portions
Cons: Few seats, not always open
harlekwin42
harlekwin42

delightful

Posted on 03 / 25 / 2013

the food here is cooked with great care, it is delicious and nutritious and very reasonably priced.

Pros: great food
Cons: small seating area
kxjan
kxjan

Good food

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2010

Food prepared with love. Very popular. Mainly takeaway unless you're lucky enough to get one two or three tables.

Pros: Tastey, Friendly
lauraya
lauraya

Disappointed

Posted on 08 / 23 / 2010

Hi,
We were in Tarifa beginning of august. We saw a few "go vegan" stickers on the walls and were quite excited about it. But when we arrived in this little restaurant, I said I was vegan and they just pointed the menu without looking at me and sayed something in spanish which I never understood. I was so disappointed about this attitude, I'm always so happy to meet other vegans ! In french you say "ça m'a coupé l'appétit!" so I just went away to eat my usual salada mista in an other more friendly place. Next time will be better.

Cons: Not friendly staff
  • Clare Clare

Same here. Just back from visit to Tarifa and got all excited when I saw the sign outside and then realised there were only about 2 vegan options, both Indian which I didn't fancy and so left and when the woman asked my aunt what was up she said there were few vegan options and the woman just said we wouldn't find anything anywhere else (but the Ecocentre was really nice with more on offer there but bit expensive).

Saira Derfield
Saira Derfield

Only Veggie Restaurant in Cadiz Province

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2009

Chilimosa is a sweet little place serving fantastically tasty, homemade, vegetarian food, to eat in or take way. The staff are friendly, the music eclectic and the atmosphere cosy. If you are craving some good homemade fare or curious to try some eastern recipes, homemade desserts, organic beer, wine, or just a nice cup of tea, this is your place. The prices are very reasonable and the dishes generous with options for tapas style sharing (hummus, olives and pita bread 3,80, tofu sausage roll 2,80) or a good filling meal (lasagna with soya bolognese / brown rice with veggies and tofu 6,50). Also a range of organic munchies and loose teas for sale and selection of dishes for special and vegan diets. Opening times: 12:30-15:30 / 19:00-23:00 every day all year round (open all day long in summer).

Pros: Great value for money, Cosy atmosphere, All homemade food
Cons: Only 4 tables, rest take-away
veggieday
veggieday

Well worth a visit

Posted on 10 / 06 / 2007

This restaurant is very small (3 or 4 tables in a tiny space) but full of character and serves delicious food. The menu, when we visited September '07, had strong Indian and Morocan leanings - samosa, felafel, tagine. We (2 adults and child) thoroughly enjoyed the food, washed down with organic beer/fruit juice/wine. Really wonderful to eat in a fully vegetarian restaurant (possibly Vegan, as I cannot remember any cheese or egg dishes), made even better by most of the food being organic. Somehow the owner manages to sell some organic provisions as well, despite limited space, which was great for us as we were self-catering for a week. We highly recommend this wonderful little place - especially after having an exciting day whale watching with FIRMM the marvellous charity for whales.

Pros: Fully vegetarinan, Vegan dishes, organic
Cons: Go early as very cramped
gasman
gasman

Great little place

Posted on 01 / 30 / 2007

Hi! We ate here Jan 07-it is located just inside the medina gate.(opens 12.30-15.30 & 19.00-23.00) This place is totally veggie, unlike many places we visited in spain! We had an excellent meal, herbal teas/wine, puddings - the guy who runs this is really nice - he didn't realise this was on the web! We always check the happycow site b4 going abroad and found it here ourselves. This is a great stopoff when going to/from Morocco/Spain. Enjoy!

Pros: Totally veggie, very friendly, pleasant decor
Cons: small - get there early!

Dear Owner and Manager of Chilimosa: