Chijuya Restaurant - Jing...

All vegetarian and mostly Japanese food with a variety of vegetable sushi along with different mock meats. Ask for the photo menu. Average dish around 60-100 baht. No alcohol. Located on the 2nd floor of Fifty-Fifth Plaza; Previously at Sukhumvit 55, Wattana. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Thai, Japanese
Thanon Song Wat, Samphanthawong (back of Lim Hi Lee Kitchen)
Bangkok, Thailand
n/a

Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-2:30pm, 5-9:30pm.

First Review by maynard7
reissausta ja ruokaa
reissausta ja ruokaa

mayonese topped, plain tasting, but a curiosity

3 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2013

It came as a surprise that my ebi temaki (mock shrimp and cabbage wrapped in nori) and mock shrimps contained mayonese. I don´t know if it was vegan or not (the waiter did not speak much any english) and anyway there was too much of it on the shrimps.

I got only one temaki and it costed 50 baht. Four mock shrimps costed 150 bahts. So it expensive compared to eg May Kaidee´s. The portions were so small.

The restaurant is easy to find: walk along Thanon Songwat and it will be on Soi between the river and Thanon Songwat. There is lots of yellow chinese lanterns hanging from the ceiling on the soi.

I would rather have cheaper sushi in some ordinary Japanese sushi restaurant in Bangkok. But I think I will visit this again, give it one more chance. And try not to have anything with mayo.

I visited this same restaurant 8 years ago when it was in the Sukhumvit area. Now the text " Located on the 2nd floor of Fifty-Fifth Plaza" should be removed from the description.

Pros: japanese veggie restaurants are rare
Cons: uses mayonese (I don´t know is it vegan), a bit expensive, a bit tasteless
nielswied
nielswied

a fine gem in meaty China Town

4 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2013

It is not easy for a veggie to find something to eat in this China Town Area. So Chijuya was a gem for us in really meaty China Town. It is 100% veggie, so no worry about soups and ingredients that may contain fish, shrimp and so on. Highly recommended.

Pros: 100 percent veg, good ingredients, nice people
Cons: very difficult to find, no alcoholic drinks, no nice surroundings
Chnanis
Chnanis

• raw

Simple but Good taste

4 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2013

To update, the brach which is now closed down is Sukhumvit branch, now they operate at Songwat road, locates near Mongkoltan temple, behind Lim Hi Lee Kitchen.

The place is small and very simple, but the food is nice.
Various dishes to choose for example different kinds of Sushi, Temaki, Grilled, Stir fried, Deep fried, and Soup.

They do not use 'fake meat' which made from flour in their dishes, but use tofu, konjac, mushrooms, and vegetables.

I love their Sushi, very well mixture containing vegetables, mushroom, tofu, and of course seaweed. :)

Peridot_Garnet
Peridot_Garnet

Nice JP veg food but not exist now

3 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2012

I really love this restaurant. There are so many nice japanese vegetarian dishes with good taste.
Heard that it's not exist there anymore.

BY THE WAY...I found Chi juya restaurant at different place near China town at Thanon Song Wat, Samphanthawong, Bangkok.[You'd better find "Lim Hi Lee Kitchen " on Songwat road. Chi Juya is located behind lim hi lee kitchen] I'm not sure it is the same restaurant or not but I think the menu is about the same. New place quite small but not noisy and crowded.
The new area is a bit hard to get there.

Another good choice for japanese veg food.

Pros: good food
Cons: small, area
eric
eric

Vegan Sushi and more

4 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2011

I liked this place, sad to hear that it's gone. I think the location was the issue.

Located on the second floor of a quite mall, this restaurant offers sushi and other Japanese, Thai, and Chinese dishes. I tried two types of sushi, but on the first forget to mention to them to leave out the mayo (dairy). Their tempura was pretty good and included mock jumbo shrimp. I also liked the seaweed dish I ordered, see photos above. The majority of dishes seemed to include mock sea foods and other mock meats. Overall pretty good, though I wouldn't likely return unless already nearby.
Updated from previous review on Thursday December 09, 2010

Pros: Veg Sushi
Cons: Too many mock meats
earthville
earthville

Pros and cons...

2 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2011

Chijuya's vast menu is a mix of good, great, and not-so-great, so we can understand the mixed reviews here.

It's a pity: Japan has such a rich tradition of creative vegan Zen cuisine (Shojin Ryori), but none of that attention to detail was on display here. It's mostly high-fat, meatless renditions of standard Japanese fare

Our biggest complaint, though, is that Chijuya really isn't vegan-friendly - at least it wasn't on our two visits. First, the menu doesn't always make it clear which items contain dairy or egg, and there are some items that (in our experience) don't normally contain dairy or egg but do here, so that increases the challenge. Further compounding the difficulty is the fact that (at least on our visits) none of the staff spoke English, and even the fact that we said 'phom kin jae' didn't spare us a few surprise animal ingredients.

So, we would rate Chijuya 3.5 cows for lacto-ovo vegetarians who don't mind eating rather fatty meal, but only 2 cautious cows for vegans and health nuts.

Pros: Big menu
Cons: Not vegan-friendly
Eacampbell
Eacampbell

Disappointing

2 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2010

Went to this dimly-lit, empty restaurant one evening last month (Oct 2010) and was looking forward to a good meal because of the reviews previously posted. Had the lemon chicken that tasted like rubber covered in a chemical goo. Had another dish that wasn't as bad, but was bland and needed pepper, salt, and chili to make it have any taste -- not worth the 120 Baht.
The hours posted on the door showed that the restaurant closed at 10 pm and at 9:00 the staff started turning the lights out. And with cold and unfriendly service (uncharacteristic of Thais) we were surprised to find a 10% service charge added to our bill. When we complained saying that they started closing while we were in the middle of our meal, the girl just shrugged and waited to take our money.
This restaurant looks as if it's on its last leg and that the staff have given up on trying.

Pros: Location, Long menu
Cons: Bad food, Poor service, Expensive
enRoute
enRoute

nice place, some great options

4 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2010

I headed here after realizing that Tamarind was closed. it's way out on Sukhumvit in a slightly odd little mini-mall. can't say I was disappointed, though the special soup with "everything" didn't blow me away like I was hoping (some weeeird veggie "stuff" in there...). on the other hand, the sushi and sashimi was worth the trip out and makes this a great option for the city.

Pros: unique, nice range
Cons: a bit far out, menus are kind of grubby, varying quality
moo
moo

great vegetarian japanese

4 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2009

I had never imagined a vegetarian Japanese restaurant. But amid Bangkok's Japantown of sorts at Sukhumvit Soi 55, Chijuya was a pleasant surprise. In addition to some very good sushi, we had a lovely vege-seafood soup and some fried eel (mushrooms with sesame). All very tasty, and tea is complimentary. And while it's not as cheap as food on the streets, it's also no more expensive than a lot of restaurants in the area.

Pros: great vegetarian substitutes
Cons: not great with English
nooy
nooy

love vegetarian sushi!!

5 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2008

Delighted to find a fully vegetarian sushi restaurant!! Being vegetarian for so long, we were confused about the difference between sushi and sashimi. Please note, that the sashimi is meant to taste like raw seafood. If this sounds appealing to you, then by all means, order some. :) They were quite accommodating when we realized our error and didn't even charge us, but we felt really bad about it. The lemon chicken is our favorite dish.

Rachanee
Rachanee

a place you shouldn't miss

5 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2008

Chijuya is a wonderful Chinese and Japanese vegetarian restaurant. I find all dishes great. Try grilled chicken and grilled prawn. A little bit expensive but worth.

Pros: good value
maynard7
maynard7

Not that great

3 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2006

I was expecting more after reading the reviews on here. I ordered the "assorted box lunch" which was a bento box with different items. Flavors weren't really that great. I wouldn't make a special trip to this place. They add 10% service charge to the menu prices.

Pros: Attractive dining room
Cons: White rice, 10% service charge, Bland taste

Dear Owner and Manager of Chijuya Restaurant - Jing Xin Health Food: