Chien-Fu - Kunitachi

Vegetarian Chinese restaurant. Food with Japanese influence. Many kinds of vegan-friendly Taiwanese and Chinese food, though some items contain dairy products - need to ask. Address in Japanese: 東京都国立市中1-19-8. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese

First Review by backpasher
paulh
paulh

decent prices, nice staff, yummy food

5 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2014

This place does Taiwan-style vegetarian, with many mock-meat dishes. There's also some Japanese-style dishes and the set meals are good value. The staff I dealt with spoke Japanese and Mandarin, but the menu has English. The bubble tea is great. I'm vegetarian, but I think they must be very vegan-friendly because they asked multiple times if I was OK with milk in the bubble tea. They also sell several vegetarian ingredients, teas and snacks.

Pros: yummy food, nice staff, considerate of dietary requirements
Cons: no cons!
Earthdiet
Earthdiet

Large menu of vegetarian food!

4 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2013

This place has soooo many options to choose from! The menu is long! I have been here a couple of times and have always enjoyed it. It is in a cute little college town area of Kunitachi and not too far from the train stop. Great little place.

Pros: moderate price, large menu
umebossy
umebossy

Hard to come by vegetarian chinese food!

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2013

I breathed a sigh of relief when I discovered naka-ichi/chien-fu! Vegetarian chinese food is hard to come by in Japan, so I am a regular visitor when I need my fix. They have an extensive menu, mostly listed by type of "meat" as they rely heavily on mock meats. They also have great ramen and their spring rolls are delicious. Prices are reasonable, with daily set menu deals that are great value. They also stock a large selection of soy products, vegetarian meats, instant noodles etc.

Pros: Vegetarian chinese food!, Veggie supplies, Good value
Cons: Can be a bit empty, not much atmosphere

backpasher
backpasher

Every time I go to Nagoya, I visit Chien-Fu

5 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2008

This place is really great. It is 100% vegetarian and almost entirely vegan (some of the desserts have milk in them) so it is both delicious and easy dining for vegos!!

I went with veggie friends and we liked the food so much that we kept on ordering, just to sample as much as possible.

The portions aren't huge, but it's inexpensive so you can afford to order several things without spending a huge amount.

Their Ma Po Eggplant dishes are delectable, as is their Chow Mein, Fried "chicken" and noodle soups.

They also sell veggie products include soy meat and noodle soups (with veggie flavours included).

If you get to Kamimaezu Station in Nagoya, take exit 9 and head towards the Osu 301 building - in the arcade that runs all the way from near Osu Kannon Station. It's on the 3rd floor.

• The Veggie Cook The Veggie Cook

The Nagoya location closed in May 2009. The Kunitachi city location is still open.

Dear Owner and Manager of Chien-Fu - Kunitachi: