Chi Asian Bistro

Serves meat, veg options available. A northern Chinese noodle house with some vegetarian items that are clearly marked on menu; vegan to specify. Staff is accommodating. Noodles made fresh every day, with dishes cooked to order using local and organic ingredients where possible. Organic, low-sulphite wine list, extensive organic tea list, Chinese beer, and Japanese sake. Previously named Da Tang Noodle House, Nov 2013. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Non-veg
2 Middle Street
Galway, Ireland
091-561443

Open Sun, Tue-Thur 5pm-10pm, Fri-Sat 5pm-11pm, closed Mon.

First Review by kaybee
Happy Chow
Happy Chow

Disappointing Rebranding

1 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2014

I was so excited to go to the Da Tang Noodle House hearing that it served "lan mien" a hard-to-find handmade noodle dish that comes from Lanzhou, China. Unfortunately it is no longer the Da Tang Noodle House. It has "rebranded" itself into an Asian bistro called Chi. Same owners, new menu. The handmade noodles are gone. There ARE still a couple of vegetarian options, but really nothing special.

I ended up ordering the soup with veg and tofu and was very disappointed. The broth was bland, the noodles were nothing special. And for 12 euros, I thought it was expensive.

I wouldn't go again, and I would definitely suggest finding an alternate restaurant.

Pros: Nice decor, Good service
Cons: Food was bland and expensive, Noodle bar is gone! :(
Pamina
Pamina

Fantastic

4 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2013

It took us a short while to find Da Tang Noodle House in the labyrinth of Galway's streets, but it was absolutely worth it. Although the restaurant was officially about to close, they let us in and took our order, which was very friendly.
There are a few vegan options on the menu and we chose the noodles with veggies and tofu, and the meal was absolutely delicious. Moreover, service was really friendly and polite. The interior is quite small, but I found it very pleasant and it did not feel crowded.
It was quite expensive, but I think considering the quality, the price level in Ireland and the great location in the centre of Galway, the prices are ok.

Pros: Delicious meals, Pleasant interior, Great service and location
Cons: Serves meat
jenly
jenly

Very good and very expensive

4 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

My family of five ate here during our visit to Ireland in August. I had read reviews of this restaurant here and in guidebooks so I made sure we planned to eat dinner there one night. I was a little surprised at the size of the restaurant--it is small! The kitchen is downstairs so our server had to run up and down the stairs to bring out the food.

We ordered spring rolls, soups, and pretty much every other vegetarian thing on the menu. I cannot remember exactly what we had but there were a couple of vegetarian choices and we ordered almost all of them. We ate everything we ordered and enjoyed all of it.

The only downside that I was not prepared for were the prices. Our bill came to 98 Euros--more than double what that meal would have cost in NYC. Also, even though we thought it was rather early (9:30 or so), we were the only people in the restaurant and they wanted to close up. So if you are thinking of eating here, plan to do it earlier in the evening.

Pros: good food, a number of veg options
Cons: rather expensive, feelings of guilt watching server , run up and down the stairs
serendipity99
serendipity99

One of the nicest meals I've ever eaten!

4 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2012

We visited Galway recently on a weekend break and decided to try out da Tang. When we entered the restaurant we asked if they would accommodate vegans. They seemed very knowledgeable about different dietary requirements and seemed very happy to accommodate us. For starters I had the vegetable spring rolls - these were ok (slightly on the small side). However the main course was delicous - noodles with tofu, veg and cashew nuts. I'm not even a fan of tofu but I think I've been converted. The meal was out of this world. They have many tofu and vegetable-based dishes on the menu so you will have a choice if you are vegan. Four Stars, well done!

kaybee
kaybee

2 thumbs up, our best meal in galway

4 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2012

Though lots of meat on the menu too, this place is really accomodating towards vegans and has vegetarian items marked on the menu (check with server about which are vegan). They also have glutenfree options, with rice noodles, or bean thread noodles which I think are really cool.

Three of us went there for dinner. I got a seaweed salad that had a small amount of noodle-cut kelp, a bunch of mung bean thread noodles, tons of fresh beansprouts, toasted sesame oil (i think), soy sauce, ginger (i think), rice vinegar, spinach, cilantro, and green onions. It was really really nice. it was served warm and everything in it was really fresh with great flavor. and i dont even like seaweed ;p the salad would have been almost substantial enough on its own for a meal.
Then I got sizzling cashew tofu and veg over mung bean thread noodles. This was OK and my friend also got it and really really enjoyed it, but it wasnt to my taste as much as the starter was. it was a huge portion, lots of veg, and deep fried tofu, with cashews, and a sauce, but i just preferred the lighter, less oily salad that I had as a starter.
Big portions, very reasonably priced (18 euro for the starter and main combined, for dinner), vegan options and accomodating to special diets. fresh and tasty food, nicely presented and you can tell effort goes into the preparation and presentation.

Pros: fresh, tasty food, good value, vegan options
Cons: also serves meat :(

Dear Owner and Manager of Chi Asian Bistro: