Chez Victor

Serves meat, veg options available. Has separate menu page of vegetarian burgers though beware that the buns may contain powered milk - please ask the manager to supply vegan suitable buns. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Western, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

Astonangel
Astonangel

Had better, but not bad

3 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2013

We had looked at the various reviews before going and were not disappointed by the fries and the salad mountain! We tried three of the four veggie burgers but the best was the tofu burger. The spinach one was too dry and the nuts were off-putting for a burger. The magrebhin was not bad a would have been improved by the sauce in the tofu burger.

Downside of our visit - got elbowed three times by the waiter!

Have had much better veggie burgers with better sauces and actual vegetables. But this was not bad.

Pros: Good choice of actual burgers, Nice sized portion
Cons: Bad table locations if not enough staff
Richard Myers
Richard Myers

Finding something vegan to eat

3 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2013

Quebec City is a very nice city to visit but don't come for the vegan food. We enjoyed the beer, service and atmosphere of Chez Victor but there was only one item on the menu to order. I had the tofu with lettuce, tomato, and fried portobello mushrooms and onions without the bun which is made with dried milk powder. This order comes with lots of fries, too many really, which were very good. We left full and were pleased that we had found some place to eat within walking distance of our hotel.

Pros: Pleasant server, Somewhat central location
Cons: No choice
mayamange
mayamange

Very good, but... (UPDATED)

4 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2013

as a vegetarian or a vegan, this is a good place to go with omnivores since the menu, which mainly offers meat burgers and sandwiches, does have a 'vegetarian' section. being a vegan, i called before going to see if there were any completely vegan options available, and was told that only the tofu burger could be made vegan if i ordered it without the cheese and mayo.

and so i happily went, making sure to ask again before ordering (i'm pretty OCD when eating out at a non-veg place). the waitress who happened to take our order seemed to have no clue of what 'vegan' meant, but she was really understanding and nice enough to give us the ingredient list for the burger buns, which apparently contains 'porc fat, lard, and milk ingredients'. clearly not vegan ingredients - nor vegetarian, for that matter.

so the only other vegan in the group and I ended up having bun-less tofu burgers without cheese or mayo, with a side of incredible fries, without mayo (the fries aren't battered, and they are fried in canola and peanut oils). it was pretty delicious.

however, it's most important to know that anybody on a veg diet should be careful with the word 'vegetarian' on their menu, and be sure to ask about ingredients. i went to their location on Lebourgneuf boulevard, so maybe it applies exclusively to that location, i don't really know.

I'm only giving 2 cows out of 5 as a rating because although I do consider the food I ate as being pretty tasty, I also find it somewhat shocking, and definitely frustrating, to see that a restaurant can label a whole menu section as being something it is not.

i have written to them recently to inform them of my concerns. I will, of course, update my review when I get an answer.

UPDATE : Upon receiving my message, they have changed the recipe for the kaiser rolls, wich now contain vegetable oil rather than lard or direct animal fat. However, they have sent me the roll's ingredient list and it does contain milk, so if you are vegan, make sure to ask before ordering. Otherwise, I am very happy to see that their vegetarian burgers are now actually vegetarian ! So, why not four cows, now.

Pros: great fries, big portions, friendly staff
Cons: veg options in menu might not be veg
delphine
delphine

St-Jean location

4 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2012

The last time I went to the restaurant of St-Jean street, they said they could easily change a meat burger to a vegetarian option, I just had to choose the topping and then the meat substitute. I really like their choices and their fries (so many!) and they also have a decent selection of beer.
I will have to ask about the porc fat and lard in the buns because I think it is pretty inconsiderate for their customers to label something as vegetarian if it is not!

Pros: You can change the pattie in the burgers, Good beer
Michael X. James
Michael X. James

Great start to a great trip

4 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2011

My first night in Quebec City, my friends and I came here for dinner. One carnivore, one vegetarian and two vegans. All four of us LOVED this place. If you're vegan be sure to ask your waiter about your options, I believe there are two. There are a few veggie burgers but some have egg. I got one, my girlfriend (also vegan) got the other. Both were amazing. The salad dressing with maple is vegan, the mustard one is not (has egg). My veggie burger has some sort of cinnamon compote on top and was really good. I got the sweet potato fries, my gf got the salad and we shared. More than enough portion size for us to share and be full after. The menu is in all french but the waitresses were fluent in english and very helpful. Try the local beer, it's great. The waitress recommended that we go to the place they brew it for a taste test...she gave us the location and explained how to get there...we did that later in the trip and it was amazing. Plenty of parking on the street but be sure you have some dollar coins for the meters (I think you get about an hour per dollar) and I think you need to pay until 9 PM. And if you're stay in lower QC you're going to want to drive up that hill (instead of trying to walk it).

Pros: Great food, Amazing veggie burgers, Helpful staff

TamaraO
TamaraO

Great Place for All!

4 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2011

My parents and I loved this gourmet burger restaurant! It's on the far end of Rue St. Jean, but is worth the walk. Pub atmosphere, friendly servers, great wine & beer selections, and of course, a wonderful variety of burgers. Most of us eat out with non-veg. people so it's important to find some place for everybody and Chez Victor is that place. There are four veggie-burgers...I tried the grain one and the spinach one, both were good, spinach one was my favorite. It is served with either skin-on fries or a green salad which were both very good. We loved it so much the first time we went back on our last night!

veganseeds
veganseeds

Not impressed considering the 'hype'

2 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2011

Took a vegan friend from out-of-province to Chez Victor a few weekends ago after seeing recommendations from other vegans. We were there on a holiday Monday at about 6:30 pm. We thought the ambiance was lovely and the waitstaff was friendly. Upon entry we asked about the vegan options, and were told that there were two burgers which would be suitable, if we omitted the mayonnaise and cheese - those were the Tofu Burger and the Vege Pate Burger. We were impressed with what appeared to be their knowledge and caring, but we were disappointed once the food arrived.

My friend and I both ordered the "Tofu" burger, and were rather surprised to find that it was actually just a slab of tofu which had been fried and put in a bun with vegetables. We both had specified no-mayo, and both of our burgers arrived with mayonnaise on them. The waitperson took them away and had 'dry' buns put on them. They also forgot to omit the pickles from my friend's burger even though it had been specified on the order.

And subjectively speaking ... we both thought there was something 'off' tasting with our burgers. Don't know what it was.

On the positive side the portion sizes were large and the prices mid-range. Ours came with very large orders of fries; I believe it cost extra to have it with a salad instead (!). The price was $12 per burger, I think.

Considering the mistakes that were made on our orders, we were skeptical of the reputation this restaurant has on-line for being 'vegan-friendly.' We had seen many positive reviews BY vegans, and considering the amount of business they are getting FROM vegans, there's some work to be done. As a side note, my partner was not impressed with the 'meat' burger either.

Considering what a pleasant decor and friendly staff they have, this place is worth approaching with suggestions to make it more vegan-friendly (we'll be sending a letter soon). We really did have a nice time, apart from the food.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 13, 2011

Pros: good portion size, ambiance, friendly staff
Cons: mistakes on orders, maybe not so vegan-friendly
Midori
Midori

Excellent Quebec City option

4 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2011

My husband and I are vegan, and we ate here twice in four days. This is a reflection both of the quality of Chez Victor, and of the lack of vegan options elsewhere.

Chez Victor is a comfortable place with good (and, incidentally, English-friendly) service and a nice selection of beer and wine. They offer a selection of four veggie burgers, all of which can be made vegan with the omission of cheese and mayonnaise. There is also a veggie sandwich. We tried the tofu burger, the brazil nut-spinach burger, and the vege-pate burger. The first and second were both excellent; my husband didn't like the vege-pate burger quite as much, probably because he was expecting pate to equal "patty," but really, it is the vegan equivalent of a (spread-like) pate. I was sorry I didn't think to explain this to him when he ordered (as my French is slightly stronger), but I can't say that the menu didn't describe it correctly.

What sets Chez Victor's veggie burgers apart is that they don't follow the formula of burger + ordinary, boring toppings; rather, each burger comes with unique toppings such as sauteed onions and mushrooms for the tofu, or tomato sauce for the brazil nut-spinach. I would like to see more of this kind of burger construction elsewhere.

Pros: taste, alcohol selection, service
Cons: not an all-vegan environment

Dear Owner and Manager of Chez Victor: