Fine dining with mostly vegan haute cuisine. Price: Expensive more-less

Oslo
Oslo

wonderful

5 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2013

beautiful and delicious two course lunch!

Pros: delicious, peaceful atmosphere, friendly
PraveenGopinath
PraveenGopinath

Creative but unhygienic

2 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2013

Food is tasty, cost is high, quantity is ridiculous. Each item is about 3 or 4 spoons. That's it. They say it is a journey not a real 'dinner' 'dinner' if you are looking for some filling stuff, this ain't the place. The cook is passionate, presentation was creative, it was exquisite journey for sure. But I had to stay with stomach half filled. I don't eat in places where meat is cooked. If you want a different experience, it is good. But, a 5 course meal, which is 45 euros does not fill you. It is hard to understand. Other two dishes have egg.

I was facing the kitchen when i sat there to eat and this guy was tasting the food before it was served. I hope he was not dipping the same spoon he was putting in his mouth.

I hope he reads this and replies saying he does not do that.

The guy seems passionate, innovative, I wish him good luck. But would appreciate if he shows some hygiene. Rule number 1 for any cook is Hygiene. I would appreciate if one observes it.

To add to that, when we got there 20 minutes before they opened, either him or the lady who was serving had just smoked cigarette and had kept the lighter and cigarette pack visible to customers. Of course like I mentioned it was before they had opened.

Pros: Creative, One of a kind I have seen, Exquisite presentation
Cons: Unhygienic , Expensive, Ridiculously small quantity
s_k_
s_k_

Fell Short

3 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2012

As a vegetarian, it's always a pleasant surprise to find a multi-course, gourmet, all-vegetarian restaurant. And Chez Nico is one. So I ought to be over the moon.

Let's get this out of the way: dinner isn't cheap. The expectation is that you'll have the six/seven-course menu of the day, which costs (in late 2012) 55 euros. Though you can order individual items, they're really quite small so you'll want the full seven courses (as the waiter points out, not very subtly). But I had gone in knowing what it cost and prepared to pay it in return for a memorable meal.

The ordering of dishes was as good as you'd expect from a qualified chef (with an entertaining little tropical fruit palate-cleanser in course five). The presentation was excellent, and the service friendly without at all being snobbish. Really nice.

The problem is that the food just isn't as grand as various review sites led me to believe. Perhaps if you've never had foam before, or never been served seven twee little courses, or never been in an intimate little restaurant with the chef smiling from just over the counter, this would be a spectacularly singular experience. And I don't want to take away from those for whom it is. But since none of those things really impressed me (or was entirely novel), I focused on the food, which just wasn't that other-worldly.

So my problem is that the meal was good, but not great. Some courses were decent, others were very good. One round -- potatos coated in some sort of ashen substance to appear like eggs -- verged on the sublime. Two of my dinner companions raved about the sixth course, a greens and carrot combination, which I found only solid. The house white wine was, like the food, also good but not sublime.

On the other hand, it could so easily have gone the other way, too. If two more dishes had been outstanding, I might have emerged feeling like a prince among men. That's the problem with only one peek at a very inventive place.

So overall, I would still encourage people to try it out. It's very good food, and even non-vegetarians ought to stand a good chance of being excited by it.

Pros: carefully assembled, ambitious, some sublime tastes
Cons: fell short of expectations, expensive

Saffronmom
Saffronmom

Veggie Gourmet in Innsbruck!

5 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2012

Went here in pursuit of veggie food and were not disappointed. True gourmet veg food but the creative (and increasingly raw foodie) Nico- a french/uk trained chef who concocts a whole tasting menu of beautiful pleasurable dishes. We were totally blown away!

Pros: tasty, beautiful, original
Cons: pay cash only, can be difficult to find, only tasting menu at dinner
kitchen witch
kitchen witch

simply the best

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2010

Nico we love you!
This is the best veg*an restaurant we've ever tried. Nico has real haute cuicine: everyday Nico offers a new vegetarian menu. We are vegan and as soon as we told the waiter Nico rearranged the menu to our needings. A very tasty experience. The menu is written only in german but the waiter can translate you in english so no problem at all. Someone may think is expensive but it worth.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, haute cuicine
Gabriela Kompatscher
Gabriela Kompatscher

Respectable

4 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2010

Truly exquisite; every single course an artistically composed poem; light, healthy and refined cuisine; extremely friendly staff; vegan food at top level service.

Dear Owner and Manager of Chez Nico: