CLOSED: Chez Hareg Gourmet ...

A European style bakery run by a trained pastry chef with an Ethiopian heritage. Offers traditional western desserts with attention to vegan baked goods. Makes tofu-frosting-based cupcakes. Free Wi-Fi. APR 2015 REPORTED SHUT, PHONE NOT WORKING. more-less
2312 4th St NE (Washington DC)
Washington, District Of Columbia 20002

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by cookiem

Hello Tradition - Vegan Style

Posted on 02 / 14 / 2014

I have loved the creations of Chef Hareg for years, now, since down in the U Street/ Little Ethiopia area. I am so glad she expanded and has this awesome bakery location in NE. It's not as convenient, but it's worth it!

The prices are very reasonable, so you will walk away feeling like you underpaid them. It's amazing they keep prices like this.

The goods - amazing. It's not 100% vegan, but go check their website, and you will recognize the commitment to vegan baking that they have here. There are cupcakes with tofu-based frosting, biscotti, cookies (traditional palmiers, "sable" and spritz style - European), quick breads (i.e. breakfast banana bread) and my all time can I eat 3 of these NAPOLEONS. Ok, admittedly, this is my all time favorite classic pastry, so, they had me at NAPOLEON.

They pay attention to tradition with healthful approach - they can do gluten free, use agave nectar, and hello, have many dairy-free (over 2 dozen) creations. They can do your wedding cake or cakes, special order.

Ok, I love them because they are no frills. I go back for the Napoleons (flaky puff pastry with creme in between and a dusting of powdered sugar and/or coconut- the creme can have a lemon flavor) and palmiers (puff pastry cookies - look like "angel wings"), but end up leaving with more…. but the prices let me do that.

Free wi fi, too, if you want to hang out and eat…. and then get some to go. Please go and support the vegan items here - then there will be more!

Pros: Napoleons - classic but vegan!, So many vegan choices, Palmiers
Cons: Not 100% vegan, Prices too low - I buy too much, Too many choices - I eat too much

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Chez Hareg Gourmet Bakery: