Chesters Restaurant and Bar

Serves meat, veg options available. Specializes in modern and traditional Mexican cuisine alongside their trademark speciality vegan and vegetarian food. Situated on two levels, but for the most part in extensive atmospheric cellars beneath New Street. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Non-veg
51 New St (City Walls Rd )
Worcester, England WR1 2DL
01905-611638

Open Mon-Tue 11am-10pm, Wed-Thur 11am-10:30pm, Fri-Sat 11am-11pm, closed Sun. .

• Reservations required

First Review by SplashWellyKid
Bones
Bones

Fantastic Vegan food!

4 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2014

We finally managed to visit this legendary restaurant, which many friends and colleagues have been raving about and it lived up to the hype.
Having worked up an appetite wandering around the Malvern Hills we hopped off the train in Worcester(mind the gap, it's a heck of a drop from train to platform!) on what we thought would be a quiet Wednesday night; but at 6.30pm it was very busy (surely a good sign?), so we had a drink in the comfortable bar area.
I was pleased to find bottled Black Sheep Ale (which is sfv) and a good selection of Belgian beers amongst the usual bland big brands.
After a short wait we were led downstairs by a very helpful and friendly chap into the lovely restaurant - it was like being on holiday.
The menu was well-set out and comprehensive - I don't think I've ever seen so many vegan options on a menu. I opted for the chimichangas with 6 bean chill and it was excellent and the portion massive. I struggled to finish it...and I'm not exactly a small bloke.
Maybe they could do smaller portions and reduce the prices a bit?
The server picked us a vegan-friendly sauvignon which was also very tasty.
We rounded it off with a couple of espressos.
It was an excellent meal, but quite pricey. It was also heartening to hear the large group on the table behind us all taking the vegan option.
We will definitely go back :-)

Pros: Great food, Great atmosphere, Vegan ale
Cons: Very pricey, Not enough Vegan ales, Portions too big
yummyyoda
yummyyoda

bad day or day of body snatchers?

2 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2014

I've visited Chester's many times and it had fast became my favourite restaurant in Worcester , so I thought nothing of inviting my mum who hates chilli, ketchup, vinegar an mayo and my dad for lunch there after being assured on previous visit that if I said we didn't want those things just to mention to the server it wouldn't be a problem.

Mum order a veggie burger served with coleslaw which we both said " we didn't want" so we moved it off the plate and moved the bottle of vinegar she then opened the burger to find it coated in a ketchup Which again We said we didn't want I attempted to take it back she wouldn't let me because she's too polite to cause a fuss she attempt to eat the rest of the burger it then caused one of her teeth to come out. My Mexican cheese toasty was burnt when it isn't normally.

The server was disinterested in us through out the lunch an slow in bringing us the rest of the meal which made my mum who was upset already before coming into the restaurant even more anxious and she got worse as lunch continued because she didn't like what she had been given .

I am Vegan and my parents are not it's hard finding some where I can eat a desert an have a decent choice an I had to moan to get them to come to Chester's as it was because they don't like change. I don't think I will now be able to get them to go to another Vegan restaurant because of experience they had at Chester's

Pros: Vegan sauces, Vegan cake, Nice drinks
Cons: Didn't listen, go it wrong, poor service
SplashWellyKid
SplashWellyKid

Magic Mexican Meals For Veg*ns!

4 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2012

PROS: Atmospheric bar & restaurant, popular even early on an out-of-season Monday eve (we had to sit in the bar area as the restaurant was already full when we arrived), decorated colourfully in a Mexican style. Friendly & helpful staff, with good, efficient service, even when busy. Vegetarian & Vegan specialities - Mexican & other cuisines - in addition to carnivorous options.

Enormous menu choice, with vegan options clearly marked - we were spoilt for choice! Vegan cheese, sour cream & guacamole available on mains; ice-cream & soya milk also available. Meal for two (shared starter & dessert, two main courses coffees & soft drinks) was £40, which we thought was good value.

See their website for the full menu (available to download as a PDF). We shared a garlic ciabatta starter. Mains were a difficult choice from so many - both were good-sized portions & hugely tasty. We had Boston Bean Chilli (with half rice/half pitta - helpfully suggested by the waiter) & Vegan Chimichangas (filled with 6-bean chilli & topped with salsa, guacamole & vegan sour cream; accompanied by wild rice & salad). Both mains contained vegan cheese. Dessert was a lovely moist carrot cake made with coconut & walnuts & served with vanilla vegan ice-cream. Soya latte coffees rounded off the meal.

Cannot fault the place & would love to visit again & try more items. Highly recommended. I'd have rated this five stars but cannot do so, as it's not a totally veggie restaurant.

CONS: Too far from where I live to visit regularly!

Pros: Enormous Menu Choice, All Vegan Options Clearly Marked, Great Food & Good Value
Cons: We Don't Live Nearby!

Dear Owner and Manager of Chesters Restaurant and Bar :