Small vegetarian Indian restaurant. Menu includes: idli, dosas, South Indian thali meals, vada, uthappam, poori, chappathi, Madras coffee, masala tea. Prices 50-150 Baht. Previously located at 10, Thanon Pan, June 2014. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Indian
107/4, Thanon Pan, Silom, Bangrak (near Indian Temple on Silom, around 4 doors from Wat Kaek)
Bangkok, Thailand 10500
66-2-2341266

Open 10am-3pm and 6-9.30pm.

First Review by rheb
walkingvegan
walkingvegan

I didn't like it

2 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2014

The place seems a bit dirty. From where I was sitting I could see a very dirty glass door separating a kitchen not so different.
The guy understood that we were vegan and recommended us 2 dishes. It was ok, but small for the price (one of them 150 and another 90 bath). I asked for not so spicy and he told me the dishes were not spicy... but it was (quite much actually).
For Bangkok I would say they have moderate prices.

Pros: it's vegetarian, indian food
Cons: A bit pricey, not clean
vagabond baker
vagabond baker

I Eat Here Every Trip To Bangkok

3 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2014

I love the food here, worked my way round the small photo wall menu. The thali is delicious and filling. The sweet lassi is a must have with every meal and I dream of the masala dosa and the poori with potato. The owner is quiet but friendly, he sometimes explains the menu. Often local Indians eat here, always a good sign. I've eaten here so many times.

Pros: Delicious, Inexpensive, Friendly
VeganBiker
VeganBiker

A Satisfying Meal

4 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2014

A bit on the dirty side, but generally acceptable flavours. The locals just dive in with their bare hands, so it can be a bit offputting watching adults slovenly bear into wet rice and soup with their fingers... The owner is very polite and seemed genuinely interested in making sure I was satisfied. I had to do some clever pantomime to ensure the absence of dairy, but the meal was served nonetheless with a side of yoghurt. He took it away, but the waste of it is exactly what I was trying to avoid.

I'm also still adjusting to what appears to be a total lack of any food prep regulations or cleanliness standards. The state of this place is not atypical of Thailand, but it stills merits a mention.

Pros: Taste, Gracious Owner
Gary56
Gary56

Superb South Indian

5 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2013

I must say I was surprised to read the few negative reviews suggesting this was an ordinary restaurant serving overpriced food. I do know South Indian cuisine very well, having lived in South India and travelled there many times in addition to sampling south Indian cuisine in many countries of the world. I also know the restaurant scene in Bangkok very well, having lived here for many years. And believe me, this small vegetarian restaurant is indeed a gem, certainly the best South Indian in Bangkok. Yes, the owner will help you out with the menu, which may seem confusing to those not accustomed to South Indian food. And the thali is an excellent first time option since it allows you to sample a variety of dishes. The food is indeed prepared fresh and is scrumptious. The price by Bangkok standards, which are lower than European or North American prices, is relatively inexpensive.

Pros: Excellent authentic South Indian food, Very good value for money, Very helpful and friendly service
Cons: Opening times are a little restrictive, Restaurant closes for various festivals

sasando
sasando

Best S. Indian in town

5 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2012

One of my favourite restaurants in Bangkok and hands down my fave for Indian. I usually get the thali, which is a great variety and plenty filling for B150. On Mon. & Tues., they make pesarattu, a dosa with green lentil in the crepe. So good! On the weekend they do a brilliant parota and kuruma. I was pretty unfamiliar with south lndian cuisine but the owners helped me out early on, and now l feel pretty confident with whatever l order. This is a real gem!

Pros: Friendly, Good value, Great location near Wat Kaek
Cons: If you're hungry btw 3 & 6, forget it
Vegetableweirdo
Vegetableweirdo

mehhh...

2 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2012

Very uninspired food by a nice woman. The guy (husband?) couldn't be bothered to explain what some of the more obscure Indian named things in the Thali were, which fair enough, is perhaps difficult to explain. He proceeded to sit in front of his laptop and space out.

I came here because I was hungry but even so the food was quite average at best. Portions were average. Price on food was average but on drinks was high.

Pros: it's vegetarian, polite
Cons: poor value, uninspired
w11guy
w11guy

A Great South Indian Restaurant

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2012

I have visited this small restaurant a few times and I've always had great food there. I usually opt for the South Indian Thali, which costs 150 baht (GBP3, USD4.50). If you're new to South Indian food it gives a good overview of the different dishes. The menu is still a bit confusing to me, as I'm not used to all the foods, but I am learning. So I will visit more often and find out more about South Indian food. The thali isn't vegan but they will make it vegan if you ask.

The food is hot and freshly cooked.

Pros: Tasty Food, Inexpensive, Friendly
Cons: Not 100% Vegan, Closed 3-6pm
craigmc
craigmc

fatastic

5 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2010

went on a very quiet friday night. a selection of dosa and south indian delights on offer.
the owner was really nice, and took great delight in picking my faults in the way i ate my food. the food was great, really tasty and fresh. cost was about 3gbp per person, this included mango lassi, so a good deal.
i went back for lunch, and decided to up my grade to five cows. i had a dosa, it was fantastic, do the same,

Pros: nice owner, clean
Guest
Guest

Great

5 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2009

Went here foo lunch while on our honeymoon. its not a fancy restaurant - but the food is fantastic. Very good vegetarian indian food. non need to be a veg' to go there. the taste is comparable on India. Prices are cheap and serive is genuine. a must visit.

Pros: tastey food, good prices
sunbaby08
sunbaby08

Great place, highly recommend

5 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2009

This place is definitely one of my top 3 favorite restaurants in Bangkok. Nothing fancy by any means, but the food is amazing and the owners are super nice. Try the 'mysore rava masala' dosa or the thali set meal. Although the menu is limited, the dishes that they do serve are done perfectly everytime. Highly recommend if you are in the area.

Pros: excellent food, friendly owners
Cons: atmosphere, limited menu
rheb
rheb

Excellent food, and great owners

5 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2008

I eat here every time I visit Bangkok, and am always pleased by the dosas, iddly, puri, and lassis. The food is very good, and the owners are incredibly friendly. Tastes very authentic!

Pros: Great food, Very friendly owners

Dear Owner and Manager of Chennai Kitchen: