Chef Ko Chinese Cuisine

Serves meat, veg options available. The vegetarian menu offers over 20 items, most of which use a faux meat. Other vegetarian options available off of the regular dinner menu. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Chinese, Take-out, Non-veg
876 W Hamilton Ave (Marathon Dr)
Campbell, California 95008
408-871-2598
  • Wheelchair accessible

First Review by macmantrl
walterhoye
walterhoye

Chef Ko Is A Winner!!

Posted on 04 / 25 / 2014

My wife and I LOVE this place. It's our favorite restaurant, hands down.

For starters we order the veggie chicken drumsticks. The dipping sauce is so delicious, that my wife and I get our own dish of sauce. Next, we special order the vegetable fried brown rice (without eggs), honey roasted walnut veggie shrimp, orange veggie chicken and mongolian veggie beef with hot or cold peach tea. Yes, we always end up taking food home, which is still very, very good the next day.

Chef Ko catered one of our events where no "real meat" was allowed. The menu had to be vegetarian and|or vegan. The food was so good, that many of our "meat eating" guests were asking was the meal really "meatless" and where was Chef Ko located.

When we're eating inside the restaurant, our favorite table has an electric outlet close by so it's easy to charge my phone. Chef Ko has two (2) menus. We always order from the vegetarian menu which has really grown over the years we've been eating there. The waiters and owners know my wife and I by site now and even though we do not speak Chinese and their English is broken, both are very warm and friendly. Our relationship with the owners is so good, my wife brought back the Chinese currency she couldn't spend from her last trip to China just to share it with the owners of Chef Ko.

By now, we've tried almost everything on the vegetarian menu. While, it's all good, we often stick with our favorite menu items above.

The location is good. The parking is ample and public transportation drops you off right across the street.

Chef Ko is a winner!

khyamamoto
khyamamoto

Overpriced Vegan Food, Good Service

Posted on 06 / 20 / 2013

I ate here with my nonvegan boyfriend. We basically ordered the same meal except his had meat. His meat dish was $3 less than mine. The "veggie beef" wasn't very good & there weren't many vegetables - only broccoli. The "veggie chicken" was good though & the staff was nice.

Pros: Vegan, Vegan Chicken
Cons: Vegan Beef, Overpriced
macmantrl
macmantrl

Great tasting food

Posted on 11 / 04 / 2012

My fiancée and I were in the mood for Chinese and decided to try this place out. Took us 45 minutes to walk there, but man was it worth it!
It's a small but quaint place, with a nice quiet atmosphere. Hardly anyone actually eating in the restaurant, but quite a few coming in to pick up takeout food.
Their website says they have many vegan options in addition to their vegetarian options, but our server didn't seem to understand what the word "vegan" meant. She was not a native English speaker, so we resorted to asking questions like "Does this item not have any egg in it?", to which we would get the answer "(pause...) No... I don't think there's any egg. No egg." Despite the language barrier, I'm pretty sure we eventually ordered vegan dishes (most of the vegetarian ones seemed to be vegan, except the obvious ones that were not because they came with egg, honey, or cream cheese).
Now, on to the food!
I ordered the Mongolian Veggie Beef (mostly because I've seen it as a popular meat dish at other restaurants but had never tried it and I was curious how it would taste) while my fiancée ordered the Fried Tofu and Veggie Beef with Mixed Vegetables and Thai sauce Sizzling Wok.
The Wok did indeed come out sizzling in a fancy wok heated with a candle. The Mongolian Veggie Beef and nicely plated with some flowers on the side (not sure if they were edible or just for looks).
Everything tasted amazing. The veggie beef (apparently made from mushrooms) seemed like something I've had before at other asian vegan restaurants, and it had a very good texture and taste. The sauces were excellent and had lots of flavor. Some of the best Chinese I've had.

I only had 2 (minor) complaints. First, despite being "vegetarian specialties", the dishes were very much focused on the mock meat aspect and had very little other vegetables other than lots of onions, herbs, and spices. I would have preferred more real vegetables. Second, the prices were a little high for a takeout Chinese restaurant, but it was probably worth it because the quality and appearance of the food was better than any other takeout Chinese restaurant I've ever been to. Also, one way to solve this problem is by using their coupons listed on their website which get you 15% off dinner, and the coupons don't seem to have any expiration date. I plan to use one every time I go. Additionally, unless you are really hungry, it seemed like 2 people could probably share one dish if they both ordered their own side of rice.

Pros: Great food, good atmosphere, friendly staff
Cons: a little pricey, not enough vegetables

Dear Owner and Manager of Chef Ko Chinese Cuisine: