A worker's owned cooperative, part of the Arizmendi co-op with several in the Bay Area. Arizmendi is the shortened name of Jose Maria Arizmendiarrieta, a young priest who inspired and helped found the Mondragon Cooperatives in the Basque Country of Spain in the 1950s. Note: Takes credit cards with a minimum $6 purchase. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, American, Pizza, Take-out, Bakery
1512 Shattuck Ave (/near Vine)
Berkeley, California 94709
Now Open

Tue-Fri 11:30am-2:00pm, Tue-Sat 4:30pm-8:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-3:00pm

First Review by vduplessis

What they have vegan is good

Posted on 02 / 15 / 2014

I had to go to the horrible, leather-selling shoe store that's two doors down from this place to pick up some slippers for the disabled woman I care for as my main income source and I was hungry so I decided to stop into Cheeseboard and see if they had something vegan because, though it's called "Cheeseboard," it just LOOKED like a place that would have some vegan stuff. And, yes, they did! I got this polenta/black bean/salsa thing that was really quite tasty. In fact, I think I'm going to imitate it at home. They also had a kale side salad that looked rocking but I didn't get it because I wasn't trying to spend too much.

After, I went upstairs in the same little shopping corner to this cupcake shop called Love at First Bite and they have this vegan chocolate cupcake there that is seriously, hands down, THE BEST chocolate cupcake I ever did eat. I mean, I'm not usually a chocolate cake eater, I prefer non-chocolate cake, but I have dreamed about this cupcake ever since I ate it, it's that good. They apparently also have a vegan ginger cupcake but neither of the times I went to this place did they have that. Ever notice how every place runs out of their vegan stuff first? Ummm, guys, maybe do more vegan and less animal secretions stuff. That's my suggestion.

Pros: cupcake show upstairs, worker-owned
Cons: not entirely vegan
  • HollyCalifornia HollyCalifornia

I think this review is actually for the Juice Bar Collective which is a different restaurant than the Cheesboard (The Juice Bar is about a block away on 2114 Vine Street).

delicious pizza

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2010

I don't see the point in complaining that a place called "Cheeseboard" isn't vegan. If you want tasty, meat-free pizza in North Berkeley, look no further!

Pros: good value, creative
Cons: crowded

not vegan friendly

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2008

go to their sister bakery, Arezmendi, for a selection of vegan goodies!

Cons: no vegan baked goods, except bread, parking

vegetarian yet not organic?

Posted on 10 / 22 / 2007

The pizza tastes good, but I never understood the logic behind restaurants serving vegetarian fare, and give the impression that they're avoiding the meat industry cruelty, yet use dairy products from the similarly horrible animal cruelty dairy industry. Contradictory. This place doesn't get my support until they start ACTUALLY caring about other sentient beings.

Dear Owner and Manager of Cheeseboard Pizza: