Che Burrito and Lounge

Serves meat, veg options available. Mostly meat but has a tofu burrito that's vegan, or you could build your own burrito. Has sweet potato fries. Casual atmosphere. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Mexican, Western, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
38 Hess St South (Main)
Hamilton, Ontario
905-524-5555

Open Tue-Thur 4-11pm, Fri 12-10pm, Sat-Sun 4-10pm.

• Cash only

First Review by S.S.Shawna
veganstastebetter
veganstastebetter

Great burrito

4 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2011

I drove from St. Catharines to try these burritos Ive heard so much about. I wasnt dissappointed. The place is a grubby smelly bar but the patio is nice. The food and service was great but it wasnt busy at the time. I would go back if I was in the area but I dont think I would make a special trip again.

Soviet Canuckistan
Soviet Canuckistan

no civil war here all the staff are nice :p

4 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2011

Nice variety of 'mex' vegan optional vegetarian fare. They do have meat dishes, but so what, voting with your dollar is the only way to increase vegetarian options.

Staff are all nice, very chill hang out. On a busy night it takes longer and I've read people carping about this in some reviews on sites. Busy night = delays deal with it people. I have never waited too long on nights I've been there with a 'normal' crowd. Same thing every time, I always load up on a sick burrito full of everything I can wrap my mouth around 'and' tofu. The fries are decadent so they are just a sometimes thing.

Pros: location, decor, staff
Cons: when hess village is full of drunks
moshimoshi
moshimoshi

Good stuff!

4 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2010

Been here a few times. It's a bar, nothing special, but the burritos are the best!
You get a menu where you check off ingredient options. Vegan is no problem.
I will keep going for their awesome burritos despite the fact that service is slow, and whatever you do don't order soda's. I've been to a few bars on Hess and I don't know what they do or where they get their soda from but they all taste like non fizzy syrupy water. I guess they want you to order beer.
Updated from previous review on Friday October 01, 2010

Pros: vegan options, delicious
Cons: slow service

andycraven
andycraven

Really enjoyed the food

4 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2010

Wow! Half the menu is vegetarian, and a quarter of the mains are vegan. I had the vegan steak with mexican rice, which the server told me was vegan and a whole lot of fillings added, a small burrito with a side of the sweet potato fries, although slightly too salty, they were the best I have ever had. They did not have any coffee, nor do they ever, nor any other hot drinks. so, I had to settle with a pint of the house draught. The waitress wrote the hours out on the back of the menu for me, as I told her that I would be posting them, and the menu on this site. The only dessert available is the deep fried Mars bar, in case your feeling too healthy, and can live with yourself after eating dairy and eggs. I will be back on a regular basis. BTW they no longer deliver, and are renovating for the next week, so you may have to wait until 2010/02/23 to get a fix

Pros: lots of options, big tasty food, cheap
Cons: no coffee, only one dessert
S.S.Shawna
S.S.Shawna

Best damn vegan burrito.

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2009

For the last three years (roughly since it opened) my husband and I have frequented Che every two weeks. Although plenty of meat is served - the former skate shop turned burrito lounge is incredibly vegan friendly. A customizable menu - Each customer gets a paper full of checkboxes and ingredient lists, and essentially, you design your own burrito, made to perfection. I am a large fan of vegan steak/black bean chilli OR sweet potato/vegan chicken. The sweet potato fries are the best in the city, and taste excellent dipped in the homemade salsa. Che is also a great place to casually drink on a Saturday night. Good DJs, usually not the typical obnoxious bar crowd Hess Village normally gets. I'd recommend Che in a heartbeat!

Pros: Customizable Menu, Atmosphere
Cons: Parking, Slow Service (Really slow)

Dear Owner and Manager of Che Burrito and Lounge: