"Vegetarian" is in the title of restaurant, rare in Berlin. Food is mostly vegan, with vegetables and tofu in the dishes. Sweet condensed dairy milk is used in the Vietnamese coffee. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Vietnamese, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Brunnenstr. 164 (U8 U-Bahn Bernauer Str.)
Berlin, Germany 10119
030-48494554

Open Mon-Fri 11:30am-10pm, Sat 5pm-10pm, Sun 1pm-10pm.

First Review by rpm_bln
Wiggy
Wiggy

Tried to overcharge, partly succeeded

2 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2014

When paying, we were presented with a tab that was either someone elses (odd, since we were practically alone in there) or just way off, almost twice as high as estimated. After pointing this out to the waitress (she took some convincing even though there were items on it that we clearly hadn't ordered, nor received) she recalculated it by hand, and gave us a piece of paper with a different sum that was much closer to what I had expected, and which I payed. Though on the way out, I took a second look at the menu, and it turned out she had still overcharged us a copule of euros.

I'm guessing this wasn't intentional; the waitress seemed much to disengaged to try to pull something like that on purpose. But she wasn't the least bit apologetic about the faulty tab either...

Try Chay Village instead. The food is better, and they can manage simpel math.

Pros: Food was good enough
Cons: Uninterested staff, No knack for math
AndreaRaeAlvarsson
AndreaRaeAlvarsson

Fresh and tasty

4 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2014

My husband and I ate here during our trip to Berlin. We both really enjoyed our meal. We had a bit of communication problems with the waitress, who was also a bit rude, but I think maybe it was because she didn't seem to speak much English. We ended up with another waitress who was really trying very hard and was much more polite. Our drinks didn't end up coming until after our food, but that didn't bother us, because the food was so delicious.
It tasted very fresh and light.

Pros: Fresh and tasty, comfortable atmosphere
Cons: Communication problems
J-Veg
J-Veg

Great veggie Vietnamese food

4 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2014

I've been here a few times and have had only good experiences. There's a lot of variety in the menu (including lots of vegan option) and the food taste fresh and authentic.

The restaurant is quite large so could be an ideal location for hosting an event.

Pros: Fresh and delicious, authentic
vegetariandood
vegetariandood

OK food, but not quite up there

2 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2013

I guess if I had never beed to Chay Village in Schöneberg (also a vegetarian Vietnamese place), I would think Chay Viet is excellent. However, the menu structure and the names of the dishes are suspiciously similar between both places. The cooks at Chay Viet do a good job, but don't quite match the skill of Chay Village's.

The service was very fast, but the place was very empty on a Monday night. I hear that this huge place fills up during the week and on weekends.

I am making a comparative review since the concepts of the places and the menu are so similar, and Chay Viet definitely pales in comparison. In a few words: if you have the time, make the pilgrimage to Schöneberg rather than here.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 23, 2013

Pros: Huge seating capacity, Large portions
Cons: Mitte atmosphere, Not as tasty as Chay Village

warek
warek

Fantastic and affordable

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

The food took longer than you usually wait at other restaurants, but that's only because it was freshly prepared. I had stuffed Tofu in a very yummy sauce and perfectly steamed broccoli and beans. They have a small but very interesting menu I haven't seen before (and I eat out a lot). Prices are very reasonable. Friendly staff. The interior is not that exciting but good enough.

AdamHunt
AdamHunt

boring for the price

3 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2013

I'm up for a cheap boring meal. This wasn't as cheap as the boringness.

6.90 starting price for a basic dish. Some ingredients were good like the mushrooms but all the secondary ingredients were flat.
It kind if felt slapped together. No spices or anything on the table.
There is definitely better for less.

Pros: decor
Cons: price, flavour, atmosphere
ms.greene
ms.greene

very good

4 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2013

Everything is freshly made so it takes a little time but it is totally worth it. Love the soups and starters. The main dishes are too oily for my taste.

Pros: good prices, tasty , almost vegan
Tandooria
Tandooria

Amazing value!

5 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2012

I've been here a hundred times and had almost everything they serve. I really love their soups which are fresh and authentic and quite big in size, even the small ones! When you order one of the big soups you should make some space on your table as they are insanely huge!!! The best things they have I think are their starters and the small things they offer, they often don't sound like much but are the gems on the menu! This is a place to often return to.

Pros: Price, Value, Taste
veg.dan
veg.dan

Absolute gem!

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2012

Okay so I arrive in Berlin late and this place is nearby. At quarter to ten, I manage to order the pho cary (tofu, vegetables, coconut based sauce, peanuts with noodles) some spring rolls and the fried banana dessert for takeaway. Man... The food was awesome, best vego spring rolls ever, main was great and dessert awesome. Best thing? It is cheap! I'd eat here most nights if I lived here! Portions were great and the atmosphere is similar to your usual vietnamese restaurant. Staff are friendly but do not know English. Wasn't too much of an issue though. Fantastic place!

Pros: food, staff, price
Raydoggy
Raydoggy

At last, somewhere cheap and tasty in Mitte

5 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2012

What a great find this place is. Great tasting food. Two huge summer rolls for only €3-, very big soups for €3-, and mains from 6.90. Do the math, if you also include a fresh lime soda, you are up for only €15.90 for a 4 course meal. Let's see MuckDonalds top that. I've been back, and back and back etc.

Pros: Cheap, Fresh, Tasty
Cons: Condensed milk in coffee, Only open 7 days a wekk, Only 99% vegan
  • vegetariandood vegetariandood

This is not cheap for Berlin.

paul veggie
paul veggie

Superb Restaurant

5 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2012

My partner and I went to this restaurant three times in the one week we stayed in Berlin recently because it was so good. The menu is available in both English & German and we ate different dishes from the menu on each occasion and all were of an equally high standard. They do not use any preservatives, dyes or MSG in their dishes and all of the vegetables and tofu used are cooked beautifully. The waitress was really friendly and helpful. We also believe that it is great value for money and the portion sizes were very generous. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone. We have both been vegetarian for many years and when we return to Berlin it will be the first place we go. to.

Pros: Excellent food, really fresh ingredients, excellent value
rpm_bln
rpm_bln

Great Vietnamese Veggie food

5 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2012

This stretch of Brunnenstr. has long been a food wasteland--till now. Just discovered this place, ordered the tofu-rice-noodle salad as usual for me at Viet places, and only noticed afterwards that the entire menu was vegetarian. The classic noodle dish had one of the better sauces I have ever tasted, and I have had this dish at more that 20 different restaurants before around the world. Highly recommended, and perfect after a Sunday at the Mauerpark flea market...

Pros: Very nice staff, 100% Vegetarian menu, 5 minutes from my atelier
Cons: In Mitte not Kreuzberg where I live, Could be 10-15% cheaper, Possibly too spicy for some Germans

Dear Owner and Manager of Chay Viet: