"Vegetarian" is in the title of restaurant, rare in Berlin. Food is mostly vegan, with vegetables and tofu in the dishes. Sweet condensed dairy milk is used in the Vietnamese coffee. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Vietnamese, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Brunnenstr. 164 (U8 U-Bahn Bernauer Str.)
Berlin, Germany 10119
030-48494554
OPEN NOW

Mon-Fri 11:30am-10:00pm, Sat 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 1:00pm-10:00pm

First Review by rpm_bln
nielswied
nielswied

fine spot, recommended, don't miss it

Posted on 10 / 13 / 2014

Chay Viet is a vegan/vegetarian Vietnamese restaurant in the Prenzlauerberg area of Berlin. U-Bahn stop Rosenthaler Platz en then walk Brunnen strasse to the north for 7 minutes. For veggies and also for non-veggies this is an ideal spot to have luinch or dinner, with a lot of choice and excellent fresh food. Friendly staff, clean, simple, very decent prices. For about 15 euro you can have a starter, a pint of beer, and a fine main dish.
Abundant portions. Yeah and beer/wine and so on in this pure veggie restaurants, that’s is really OK.

Pros: fully veggie and a lot of vegan, fresh food, good taste
Cons: none
Vegtravel4
Vegtravel4

good vegan options

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2014

Good option if you're in Mitte and need a warming vegan dinner. I had the coconut soup which I thought would be more soupy but was actually pretty heavy in noodles. My husband had a tofu salad that was delicious. I think it's a matter of ordering the right thing here. Another note - I had an easy time ordering in English. No troubles as another reviewer wrote. The service was pleasant and the food was inexpensive. I would go again if I was craving Vietnamese.

Pros: inexpensive, big portions
Cons: a bit heavy / not totally fresh?
Kyttiara
Kyttiara

Really nive vegan options

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2014

I went there a couple of times, and I must say their food is really savory. It's a bit heavy and I find to portions to be really huge, but god it's good! There are Gluten Free options, you can ask. The service is a bit slow but I really like the taste of their food here

Pros: great vegan gluten free options, really tasty, nice desserts
Cons: slow service, often order mistakes

Wiggy
Wiggy

Tried to overcharge, partly succeeded

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2014

When paying, we were presented with a tab that was either someone elses (odd, since we were practically alone in there) or just way off, almost twice as high as estimated. After pointing this out to the waitress (she took some convincing even though there were items on it that we clearly hadn't ordered, nor received) she recalculated it by hand, and gave us a piece of paper with a different sum that was much closer to what I had expected, and which I payed. Though on the way out, I took a second look at the menu, and it turned out she had still overcharged us a copule of euros.

I'm guessing this wasn't intentional; the waitress seemed much to disengaged to try to pull something like that on purpose. But she wasn't the least bit apologetic about the faulty tab either...

Try Chay Village instead. The food is better, and they can manage simpel math.

Pros: Food was good enough
Cons: Uninterested staff, No knack for math
AndreaRaeAlvarsson
AndreaRaeAlvarsson

Fresh and tasty

Posted on 07 / 03 / 2014

My husband and I ate here during our trip to Berlin. We both really enjoyed our meal. We had a bit of communication problems with the waitress, who was also a bit rude, but I think maybe it was because she didn't seem to speak much English. We ended up with another waitress who was really trying very hard and was much more polite. Our drinks didn't end up coming until after our food, but that didn't bother us, because the food was so delicious.
It tasted very fresh and light.

Pros: Fresh and tasty, comfortable atmosphere
Cons: Communication problems
J-Veg
J-Veg

Great veggie Vietnamese food

Posted on 03 / 04 / 2014

I've been here a few times and have had only good experiences. There's a lot of variety in the menu (including lots of vegan option) and the food taste fresh and authentic.

The restaurant is quite large so could be an ideal location for hosting an event.

Pros: Fresh and delicious, authentic
Blomma
Blomma

Great!

Posted on 11 / 20 / 2013

Great food, nicely priced, friendly service.

vegetariandood
vegetariandood

OK food, but not quite up there

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2013

I guess if I had never beed to Chay Village in Schöneberg (also a vegetarian Vietnamese place), I would think Chay Viet is excellent. However, the menu structure and the names of the dishes are suspiciously similar between both places. The cooks at Chay Viet do a good job, but don't quite match the skill of Chay Village's.

The service was very fast, but the place was very empty on a Monday night. I hear that this huge place fills up during the week and on weekends.

I am making a comparative review since the concepts of the places and the menu are so similar, and Chay Viet definitely pales in comparison. In a few words: if you have the time, make the pilgrimage to Schöneberg rather than here.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 23, 2013

Pros: Huge seating capacity, Large portions
Cons: Mitte atmosphere, Not as tasty as Chay Village
warek
warek

Fantastic and affordable

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

The food took longer than you usually wait at other restaurants, but that's only because it was freshly prepared. I had stuffed Tofu in a very yummy sauce and perfectly steamed broccoli and beans. They have a small but very interesting menu I haven't seen before (and I eat out a lot). Prices are very reasonable. Friendly staff. The interior is not that exciting but good enough.

AdamHunt
AdamHunt

boring for the price

Posted on 06 / 27 / 2013

I'm up for a cheap boring meal. This wasn't as cheap as the boringness.

6.90 starting price for a basic dish. Some ingredients were good like the mushrooms but all the secondary ingredients were flat.
It kind if felt slapped together. No spices or anything on the table.
There is definitely better for less.

Pros: decor
Cons: price, flavour, atmosphere
ms.greene
ms.greene

very good

Posted on 04 / 13 / 2013

Everything is freshly made so it takes a little time but it is totally worth it. Love the soups and starters. The main dishes are too oily for my taste.

Pros: good prices, tasty , almost vegan
HannesRR
HannesRR

Excellent

Posted on 01 / 12 / 2013

Very good food and low prices. Love it!

Tandooria
Tandooria

Amazing value!

Posted on 08 / 29 / 2012

I've been here a hundred times and had almost everything they serve. I really love their soups which are fresh and authentic and quite big in size, even the small ones! When you order one of the big soups you should make some space on your table as they are insanely huge!!! The best things they have I think are their starters and the small things they offer, they often don't sound like much but are the gems on the menu! This is a place to often return to.

Pros: Price, Value, Taste
veg.dan
veg.dan

Absolute gem!

Posted on 08 / 20 / 2012

Okay so I arrive in Berlin late and this place is nearby. At quarter to ten, I manage to order the pho cary (tofu, vegetables, coconut based sauce, peanuts with noodles) some spring rolls and the fried banana dessert for takeaway. Man... The food was awesome, best vego spring rolls ever, main was great and dessert awesome. Best thing? It is cheap! I'd eat here most nights if I lived here! Portions were great and the atmosphere is similar to your usual vietnamese restaurant. Staff are friendly but do not know English. Wasn't too much of an issue though. Fantastic place!

Pros: food, staff, price
Raydoggy
Raydoggy

At last, somewhere cheap and tasty in Mitte

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2012

What a great find this place is. Great tasting food. Two huge summer rolls for only €3-, very big soups for €3-, and mains from 6.90. Do the math, if you also include a fresh lime soda, you are up for only €15.90 for a 4 course meal. Let's see MuckDonalds top that. I've been back, and back and back etc.

Pros: Cheap, Fresh, Tasty
Cons: Condensed milk in coffee, Only open 7 days a wekk, Only 99% vegan
  • vegetariandood vegetariandood

This is not cheap for Berlin.

paul veggie
paul veggie

Superb Restaurant

Posted on 05 / 14 / 2012

My partner and I went to this restaurant three times in the one week we stayed in Berlin recently because it was so good. The menu is available in both English & German and we ate different dishes from the menu on each occasion and all were of an equally high standard. They do not use any preservatives, dyes or MSG in their dishes and all of the vegetables and tofu used are cooked beautifully. The waitress was really friendly and helpful. We also believe that it is great value for money and the portion sizes were very generous. We would recommend this restaurant to anyone. We have both been vegetarian for many years and when we return to Berlin it will be the first place we go. to.

Pros: Excellent food, really fresh ingredients, excellent value
rpm_bln
rpm_bln

Great Vietnamese Veggie food

Posted on 04 / 30 / 2012

This stretch of Brunnenstr. has long been a food wasteland--till now. Just discovered this place, ordered the tofu-rice-noodle salad as usual for me at Viet places, and only noticed afterwards that the entire menu was vegetarian. The classic noodle dish had one of the better sauces I have ever tasted, and I have had this dish at more that 20 different restaurants before around the world. Highly recommended, and perfect after a Sunday at the Mauerpark flea market...

Pros: Very nice staff, 100% Vegetarian menu, 5 minutes from my atelier
Cons: In Mitte not Kreuzberg where I live, Could be 10-15% cheaper, Possibly too spicy for some Germans

Dear Owner and Manager of Chay Viet: