A local community based vegetarian eatery serving primarily vegan dishes inspired by their Vietnamese roots. Serves local families in the communities through its initiatives in food security, sustainability, consciousness and education one veggie meal at a time. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Vietnamese
5052 Victoria Dr (/between 34th and 35th Avenue)
Vancouver, British Columbia
604-568-9508

Mon-Thu 11:00am-8:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 11:00am-8:00pm

First Review by kimward8
kenvegan
kenvegan

One of the Best Restaurants in Vancouver BC!

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2014

I recently traveled to Vancouver, and had the pleasure of dining at this wonderful Vietnamese veg restaurant.

We ordered our food at the counter, and the food was brought to our table. Each dish was beautifully prepared, and each dish was perfectly spiced and mouth-watering delicious.

The hand-cut taro chips were quite a treat! I couldn't eat enough of these.

I then had a delicious papaya salad, followed by the Rickety Rickshaw Ride, Noodle bowl, shredded beancurd, crispy spring rolls, roasted peanuts, mung bean, shallots, pickled vegetables, greens, cucumber, herbs, lemon sauce. Perfection.

The only problem I have with this restaurant is that it is not closer to Los Angeles!

Pros: Food, Service
vegan frog
vegan frog

Consistently delicious

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2014

Having been to chau veggie several times since my last review I can honestly say that the food is consistently delicious. There is also more room to eat now that you can also eat in the cafe next door as it's owned by the same people.
The food on the menu is verified vegan except for some desserts which are vegetarian.
The flavours are authentic, the food is fresh and the prices are very reasonable, and to top it off portion pretty generous.
Everything is delicious!
We have tried almost everything on the menu and we have never been disappointed by the food.
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 23, 2014

Pros: Menu is now vegan, Phos!, Delicious
Cons: Can be busy, Far from downtown or west side
Xanato5
Xanato5

Oh yes....

5 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2014

This place is so good. I love every item on their menu, although one of their clear soup dishes is a little on the bland side but it was still tasty. I usually order the yellow curry soup (called Golden Temple) and the fried spring rolls. I also highly recommend the in-house chilli sauce (I think it is a satay sauce) - they sell it in mason jars but you can try it for free at the table with your food.
Their drinks are great too, I had an amazing one that was white (coconut based) with fresh mint.
Keep in mind that the seating area is small, might be a problem for bigger groups but definitely make an effort to try this amazing place.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday June 03, 2014

Pros: Fresh and delicious, In-house spicy sauce, In-house cocktails
Cons: Small seating area

shirley1
shirley1

yummy

3 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2014

I've always seen big pho bowls of food and thought how delicious it looks. Well you can get that at chau veggiexpress and a lot more.
The noodle bowls are very flavourful and full of veggies and tofu.
As I am gluten free as well , it was not a problem and I could eat almost everything.
My broth was sweet and yummy and my husband had a spicy broth.
The portions are huge and I have a another meal , which will prob be breakfast.
The staff are friendly and knowledgeable

Pros: yumm-0, huge portion, full of crisp veggies
Cons: none
NancyMeatlessMeetup
NancyMeatlessMeetup

Best Vietnamese Veggie Restaurant

5 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2013

According to the server in 2013, all dishes are now fully vegan.

No where will you find more creative names for dishes: CandleLit Lantern Down the River, Family of 5 on a Scooter, Soft Tropical Rainstorm, Golden Temple Prayers, Diving for Pearls....and many more. They should have an award for the creativity and beauty of their menu!

Vietnamese veggie food (especially the soups) can occasionally veer towards the watery bland, without the traditional ingredients, but not here! The flavours do not disappoint. Family of 5 on a Scooter is a Vietnamese sandwich that is a must try on this menu. The spring rolls, the Golden Temple Prayers....there is so much on this menu that is excellent.

Unlike another reviewer, I love the communal tables. The seats are not the most comfortable, but I have had wonderful unexpected experiences chatting with other diners at the restaurant. What a great way to meet others who share your food proclivities!

It's true the location is out of the way, in many respects, but it is worth the commute. If you only have time to visit 5 veggie restaurants while visiting Vancouver, this is definitely one you must not miss.

Pros: Family of Five on a Scooter, Golden Temple Prayers, various rolls
Cons: uncomfortable seats
trufflepiggy
trufflepiggy

i heart veggie pho!

3 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2013

Mmm, veggie pho! The food at CHAU VeggiExpress is delicious! I just found out about this new place a few days ago; a Vietnamese friend told me about it. He knows I'm a vegan, and the woman who runs this place is a friend of his family's.

Anyway, I just found out about it four days ago, and have already eaten there three times, each time trying a different dish. I've tried all three noodle soups: the pho hanoi, pho hue, and pho nam. All were delicious. I've also sampled the com tofu (pan fried lemongrass & chili tofu with rice), and the curry chay (so creamy and yummy!). Everything is fresh, tasty, and a great value (a HUGE bowl of pho is $7.75).

The place is really small; there's a communal table and some bar seats. There's no table service; orders are taken at the counter. Everyone who works there is really friendly, and the restaurant's namesake and cook, Chau, is a really warm, friendly woman (tonight, she delivered freshly cut oranges to each group in the restaurant). Everytime I've been there, she's asked me if I like what I'm eating, and how she can improve it (I can't think of how she'd improve her food; even the presentation is food stylist-worthy). It's also fast without being fast food.

Maybe I'm biased, but Chau VeggiExpress is my favourite place in Vancouver right now; it's the food, the value, the service, the warmth...and I love being able to get vegan pho so close to home.
Updated from previous review on Thursday May 19, 2011

Oh bummer, went back last week after not going for over a year. The quality of the pho has slid...lots. Instead of noodles swimming in broth, my noodles were in a bowl-shaped clump at the bottom of the soup bowl - not fresh. The broth was super salty. I was disappointed.

My bf had the banh mi (vietnamese sub); he said it was delicious.

Pros: great value
Cons: very small
Troutmask
Troutmask

Best Asian Vegetarian in Vancouver?

4 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2012

Once in a while you come upon somewhere that makes you really smile. Chau is such a place - incredibly fresh food, mostly vegan, great value and different to the other places out there. This is veggie Vietnamese at its finest - take for example the stocks - one of the dishes has a lychee, mushroom and date base, another jicama & leek stock. Sick of plain tofu with little taste? - one of the dishes I sampled had lemongrass and chili soft tofu and a grated papaya salad. The decor is modern and chic. The ONLY thing counting against this restaurant is its location on South Victoria away from the "Veggie" hubs of Commercial and Main. But believe me, it is well worth the effort and the number 20 bus stops nearby.

Pros: Vegetarian, delicious , fresh
jtad
jtad

Delicious!

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2011

I just love this restaurant. I've tried all the menu items and would order any one of them again. So happy to have a vegetarian restaurant in my neighbourhood. I eat there regularly!

kimward8
kimward8

Vegan Pho

3 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2011

The spring rolls here are unfortunately not vegan. But the Pho is. I had the Pho Hanoi and it was good. I've never had real Pho so I don't really know, but it seemed authentic. It was served really fast and had huge portions for a good price.

Dear Owner and Manager of Chau VeggiExpress: